PDA

View Full Version : D Line!

htownsooner7
8/17/2007, 09:09 AM
IMO, we need to find a Dvoracek and Cody like presence with the defensive line this year. I know we lost a lot of our DE depth last year, but I'm not that concerned because, frankly, we didn't get to the qb near enough. Granger and Mccoy may be special, Bennet and Coleman should be highly competent. Someone needs to step up and be dominant from that group. At DE, their have been some (premature) comparisons of English to Cody. Dotson and Williams are capable. Again, someone needs to step up and serve as a reliable threat off the edge. If the d line is able accomplish these things, this D could be nasty. If not, they will be like they have been the last 2 years, good but not great..

KantoSooner
8/17/2007, 07:46 PM
Agree. We definitely need more pressure on the QB this year.

85sooners
8/17/2007, 07:51 PM
we need to sack someone!!!!

goingoneight
8/18/2007, 01:21 AM
If you ask me, that's why we really lost to Texas last year. Turnovers aside, Colt McCoy had no problem converting 3rd and 4th downs at all, and had far too much time in the pocket against a supposed "greatest defense in the Stoops era." Texas A&M and Iowa both proved it's not too difficult to at least pressure or hurry him.

He laid two TD passes right on the money like it was nothing on simple shotgun sets. The turnovers were a big problem last year, but three in the UT game were a result of OUr own team getting in too much of a hurry on offense, one being a bad call by the refs.

olevetonahill
8/18/2007, 01:39 AM
We are Doomed . Can Ya say BOO yrs !

Since71ASooner4Life
8/18/2007, 08:37 AM
I think we have a lot of talent on Defense overall, but what I'm missing is who is going to step up and be the big play/emmotional leader. I dont see the obvios choice here. yet I know it's just the usual pre-season nervousness I feel every year until things get rolling, but it seems like this year more than most I feel the void left by Rufus being gone more than anything else.

achiro
8/18/2007, 08:57 AM
If you ask me, that's why we really lost to Texas last year. Turnovers aside, Colt McCoy had no problem converting 3rd and 4th downs at all, and had far too much time in the pocket against a supposed "greatest defense in the Stoops era." Texas A&M and Iowa both proved it's not too difficult to at least pressure or hurry him.

He laid two TD passes right on the money like it was nothing on simple shotgun sets. The turnovers were a big problem last year, but three in the UT game were a result of OUr own team getting in too much of a hurry on offense, one being a bad call by the refs.
That was kind of the point for texass last year wasn't it. A very good offensive line gave a young qb lots of time and made him look good. Some injuries weakened the line later in the season as I recall...what happened then?;)

MojoRisen
8/18/2007, 02:43 PM
Watching highlights of the FSU OU orange bowl- we sure did blitz a lot on those guys.

With our secondary- perhaps we can take more risks and blitz em more. But I think venables is more concerned about if people line up an inch here or an inch there.

SelmaBamaFan
8/18/2007, 03:36 PM
I seem to remember OU using the LB and DB's to create pressure on the QB. There was no telling who was coming on a blitz back in those days; it could be a LB, S, or CB... it didnt seem to matter. So the DL didnt have as big of a responsibility to get the QB as it seems they do now.

Has your philosophy changed over the years?