PDA

View Full Version : SI Running Back Tandems

Desert Sapper
8/17/2007, 08:48 AM
Story (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/cory_mccartney/08/16/rb.tandems/index.html)

We make the list at #5:

5. Oklahoma

Gone is one of the best backs in NCAA history. But, as we saw when Adrian Peterson was injured last season, they won't be hurting in the backfield in Norman this fall.

The Sooners return the two biggest contributors during Peterson's absence in senior Allen Patrick, who rushed for 761 yards and four touchdowns, and Chris Brown, a sophomore, who had 343 yards and six TDs. Those two probably would have been enough to make this one of the better tandems, but coach Bob Stoops may also have a budding star in redshirt freshman DeMarco Murray. Murray was the story of the spring for Oklahoma, registering 327 yards and four touchdowns on 29 carries (11.3 yards per carry) in three spring scrimmages. He also happens to be the fastest guy on the team, running the 40 in 4.43 seconds. Murray's looking for time in the backfield, but he could also get some reps at receiver.

Widescreen
8/17/2007, 08:57 AM
I'm a little surprised that 4.43 is the fastest guy. We usually have at least a couple of 4.3* guys.

OUster
8/17/2007, 09:34 AM
I am little surprised Japorky Lane and A&M were in at #3. Unless it is a half inch the A&M offense needs for first down and his gut crosses the line, what use is Japorky? He is not fast, elusive and I haven't seen him just bowl over a line with his power. I hate to say this but I think Melton at UT is better. But, he is a lineman now and not part of a great "running back tandem". Oh well, I don't write the articles.

ashley
8/17/2007, 09:44 AM
I don't like Lane much but I think he is 10 times better than Melton. I don't believe Melton has 150 yds yet.

BillyBall
8/17/2007, 09:59 AM
I am little surprised Japorky Lane and A&M were in at #3. Unless it is a half inch the A&M offense needs for first down and his gut crosses the line, what use is Japorky? He is not fast, elusive and I haven't seen him just bowl over a line with his power. I hate to say this but I think Melton at UT is better. But, he is a lineman now and not part of a great "running back tandem". Oh well, I don't write the articles.

I hate to say it, but Mike Goodson is going to be a star...

The Maestro
8/17/2007, 10:17 AM
What surprised me was I believe SI also ranked the top 20 running backs in the nation and Patrick did not even make the list, and Charles from texas was in the top ten. That's a joke. Mel Kiper, Jr. has AP as the top draft prospect of senior running backs in the country.

cjames317
8/17/2007, 11:15 AM
Hey Coach, Patrick, Brown and Murray in the 'bone?
PUH-LEEZE? Just for old time's sake? If Todd Dodge is gonna bring his newfangled spread option to play, can't we show 'em how the option really works? PRETTY PUH-LEEZE?

StuIsTheMan
8/17/2007, 11:20 AM
PUH-LEEZE? Just for old time's sake? If Todd Dodge is gonna bring his newfangled spread option to play, can't we show 'em how the option really works? PRETTY PUH-LEEZE?

I agree...we did not run the option near enough last year...with the speed and power we had/have, seems like a good idear to me.

yermom
8/17/2007, 11:25 AM
Lane and Goodson are for real. did no one watch them last year?

if Fran uses Lane like he should, we lose in Collie Station last year

flopshotjoe99
8/17/2007, 11:28 AM
Lane and Goodson are for real. did no one watch them last year?

if Fran uses Lane like he should, we lose in Collie Station last year

true, but thank goodness Fran is a doof.:)

silverwheels
8/17/2007, 12:16 PM
I don't like Lane much but I think he is 10 times better than Melton. I don't believe Melton has 150 yds yet.

He got a DWI and was moved to DE.

Desert Sapper
8/17/2007, 04:51 PM

It sure would be fun to watch, but don't we need a QB that can run it? Do we have a bone QB in the mix?

Statalyzer
8/17/2007, 04:57 PM
Unless it is a half inch the A&M offense needs for first down and his gut crosses the line, what use is Japorky? He is not fast, elusive and I haven't seen him just bowl over a line with his power. I hate to say this but I think Melton at UT is better.

Are you serious? I'm a Texas fan and I would take Jorvorski straight up over Melton at RB easily. It's not even close. I read Lane got a first down or scored on 26 of 29 carries last year that came on 3rd or 4th down. That's pretty impressive.

Melton has a ton of upper body weight which he doesn't use enough because he tries to run over guys straight-up instead of getting low and driving his shoulders into their chest. Half the time he just gets tripped up, and most of the rest of the time he gets stood up. Lane's got more weight in his legs and he keeps them pumping hard to just overpower guys and push them backwards. He's got the mentality of a short-yardage back and Melton does not.

jrboomersooner
8/17/2007, 05:04 PM
if Fran uses Lane like he should
And thats where I stopped reading.

colleyvillesooner
8/17/2007, 05:12 PM
The key to Lane, and I think our coaches picked up on teams playing them earlier in the season, is to know you're gonna get run over. Just don't let him past you. Slow him down, go low and grab a leg or an ankle and someone will be their to help quickly. Swarm him.

He's good, and when you try to stop him one on one, you lose.

snp
8/17/2007, 06:25 PM
I'm a little surprised that 4.43 is the fastest guy. We usually have at least a couple of 4.3* guys.

There were only 17 players that ran under 4.4 in the NFL combine last year. Just Sayin.

snp
8/17/2007, 06:28 PM
That's a lesson many college coaches are learning from the NFL. Just take a look at the four teams in last season's championship games (Chicago, Indianapolis, New England and New Orleans) and you'll see that on Sundays coaches are subscribing to the notion two backs are better than one.

Switzer figured this out a few decades ago.