PDA

View Full Version : Can I see OU on FOX Sportspack from outside of SW market?

Since71ASooner4Life
8/17/2007, 02:09 AM
I was a little surprized to learn that as a DishNetwork customer I could get the Fox sports pack (all markets Fox sports channels) for about only $6 bucks a month. So when I activated and started flipping through the channels I discovered that every MLB game except my Fox Detroit channel was blacked out! Now I'm wondering if I'll have the same result with the NCAAF games all being blacked out for every channel other than my local market? I have no reason to subscibe to this if the OU games on Fox SW are going to be blacked out too. Last year I asked about being able to watch OU games from out of the local market and I thought someone living in NY claimed to be able to see them all via ESPN Gameplan + Fox sports pack, but these MLB games all being blacked out and the low subscription price of the FOX pack is making me doubtfull. Anyone else have any experience with this?

soonerboomer93
8/17/2007, 02:25 AM
All games are subject to blackout according to the contract rules, there's a very good reason that they sell the game packages for professional sports. They specifically allow you to get out of market games.

However, the "games subject to black out" isn't the same with college level sports and the vast majority of the time you can get out of market college games just fine on the fox sports channels

Gameplan will only show the games broadcast on abc/espn.

Since71ASooner4Life
8/17/2007, 06:45 PM
Thank's much for the feedback. Looks like I'll be watching the Sooners Yahoooooooo!

Phantasm
8/17/2007, 07:36 PM
You may want to call Dish 10 separate times and ask that question to 10 different Dishies - see if you get the same answer....

I thought we would only get the Fox Sports channel for our area..... I don't want to see more of Big Ten and ND..

I had better success the last few years with ESPN Gameplan and Chicago Sports Net.

bluedogok
8/17/2007, 08:49 PM
I get all of the FSN college football games on the DirecTV Sports Pack.

Scott D
8/17/2007, 08:59 PM
I was a little surprized to learn that as a DishNetwork customer I could get the Fox sports pack (all markets Fox sports channels) for about only $6 bucks a month. So when I activated and started flipping through the channels I discovered that every MLB game except my Fox Detroit channel was blacked out! Now I'm wondering if I'll have the same result with the NCAAF games all being blacked out for every channel other than my local market? I have no reason to subscibe to this if the OU games on Fox SW are going to be blacked out too. Last year I asked about being able to watch OU games from out of the local market and I thought someone living in NY claimed to be able to see them all via ESPN Gameplan + Fox sports pack, but these MLB games all being blacked out and the low subscription price of the FOX pack is making me doubtfull. Anyone else have any experience with this?

fox sports games aren't subject to either ESPN Gameplan or "blackouts". So, you can watch us on say Fox Sports Southwest rather than Cheerleading on Fox Sports Detroit. The FSN games are generally carried across their network on most if not all of the affiliates when they are on. Some carriers like one of the Florida Fox Sports stations will play games involving a Florida School, and a few of the others that are eastern based may cover smaller eastern schools.

Gameplan basically carries ABC/ESPN, and smaller regional cable/local feeds for say SEC or WAC/Mtn West teams.

Baseball, basketball, and hockey have market protection. It's the same as how if you turned to ESPN to watch the Tigers last night, it was blacked out on ESPN because Fox Sports Detroit had the local rights to the feed.

arcman46
8/17/2007, 09:07 PM
I have Directv from the start of the season (Oregon) until I leave for winter in Salt Lake. There, I have comcast. I usually spend some time with my parents who moved to Missouri in Nov. before the Ski season starts. I have never missed a game in any of the three locations that has been on Fox Sports Net. Usually they broadcast the games on more than one of the stations. But I always get all of them.:pop:

Phantasm
8/18/2007, 01:19 PM
I just spoke with a DirecTV customer service person about Fox Sports Net and which I would receive, if I subscribed to the SportsPak. If I live in an area serviced by a regional Fox Sports Network, ie. Southwest, South, or Detroit, I would receive ONLY that regional Fox Sport channel. However, since I live in the Chicago area, which IS NOT serviced by any Fox Sports Network, I would receive ALL of the Fox Sports Network channels. (I do receive Chicago Sports Net on Comcast, but it is not part of the Fox network). Plus, it would cost me $12/month for the SportsPak.

So, if you are living in the Detroit area, you will not get all of the Fox Sports Net channels, only Fox Sports Net - Detroit.

Flagstaffsooner
8/18/2007, 01:45 PM
http://lloydi.com/travel-writing/round-the-world-trip/country/06-thailand/01-chiang-mai/images/thai-coke-can.jpg
http://buytaert.net/cache/images-miscellaneous-2006-eye-500x500.jpg
http://www.atlastours.net/holyland/sea_of_galilee.jpg
http://www.oscer.ou.edu/images/ou_logo_400x560.jpg

ON
http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Peter-Beneyfield/Fox-and-Winter-Coat-Print-C10001410.jpeg

Phantasm
8/18/2007, 02:43 PM
But, you should be able to watch OU games on the Fox Sports Net-Detroit, as long as, FSN-D doesn't elect to show a local sporting event, like Wayne State Women's volleyball games.

Soonerus
8/18/2007, 03:21 PM
I just spoke with a DirecTV customer service person about Fox Sports Net and which I would receive, if I subscribed to the SportsPak. If I live in an area serviced by a regional Fox Sports Network, ie. Southwest, South, or Detroit, I would receive ONLY that regional Fox Sport channel. However, since I live in the Chicago area, which IS NOT serviced by any Fox Sports Network, I would receive ALL of the Fox Sports Network channels. (I do receive Chicago Sports Net on Comcast, but it is not part of the Fox network). Plus, it would cost me $12/month for the SportsPak.

So, if you are living in the Detroit area, you will not get all of the Fox Sports Net channels, only Fox Sports Net - Detroit.

Sorry, I am confused...is this bad news just for the Detroit area ?

Scott D
8/18/2007, 05:25 PM

Technically you wouldn't receive a Fox Sports Network channel at all in Chicago, because DirecTV carries Comcast Sports Network Chicago. However, having the Sportspack (like the original poster said they have), you would receive the entire grouping of Fox Sports Net channels, and the OU games on FSN wouldn't be blacked out because it's a national feed, not a regional feed like on ABC.

I think after having DirecTV for 7 years, and the sportspack for all of those 7 years, along with living in Detroit. I'd pretty much know what would be par for the course for what games we'd get and not get.

bluedogok
8/18/2007, 06:48 PM

You have to remember that most CSR's don't know squat. You only get your regional RSN no matter if it is FSN, Comcast, YES, NESN or others if you do not have Sports Pack.

I have had DirecTV with Sports Pack in OKC and Austin (both FSN-SW areas) for 8 years and have typically received all of the college games being broadcast on all of the RSN's (Regional Sports Networks). I have had Arizona games from FSN-AZ on a second TV/receiver on at the same time that a Big 12 game was on several of the other Fox RSN's. With the RSN's I have been able to watch many different games all day that aren't local.

The pro sports stuff is a completely different issue, I have MLB Extra Innings, NFL Sunday Ticket and NHL Center Ice. MLB's blackout policy annoys the crap out of me in regards to Rangers game and a "local" here who has rights to a few games. Also, the fact that I have to watch other teams broadcasts at times instead the Red Sox NESN broadcast when you know both are using bandwidth.