PDA

View Full Version : Sportswriter lauds OU for handling of Bomar incident.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/16/2007, 12:22 PM
Oklahoma's swift justice

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
August 15, 2007

NORMAN, Okla. – Last month the University of Oklahoma athletic department was found guilty of major rules infractions for the seventh time in its history of ignoring the NCAA rule book.

Back in 1956, the football program was cited for "improper transportation; extra benefits; improper recruiting inducements." In 2007 it was "impermissible extra benefits – payment for work not performed and failure to monitor."

Hey, what do you expect from a program whose "Sooners" nickname honors people who prematurely seized (stole) land back in 1889 and whose interlocking OU logo kind of looks like a pair of handcuffs?

Well, what you expect didn't actually happen.

Two starters and a walk-on were, indeed, paid for work they didn't do at a local car dealership. And in a small town such as Norman, the dealership was no secret – particularly considering some of the athletic department got their cars from the place. OU broke the rules, no question, and more could have been done on the front end.

On the back end, though, Oklahoma, led by its coach, Bob Stoops, actually conducted a real investigation, made quick, tough self-punishing decisions and in the process showed how to do things right when things inevitably go wrong.

"You have to step up," Stoops said Saturday morning from a coach's lounge inside no less than the Barry Switzer Center here. "I have a program built here for the long haul and this didn't change that."

While praising a coach and a repeat, repeat offender program for how it dealt with a scandal is a bit absurd – after all 1) how about not having a scandal in the first place? and 2) since they've had plenty of practice isn't about time they did it right – in reality the way OU dealt with this was, sadly, by NCAA standards, somewhat remarkable.

On March 3, 2006, the school received an anonymous email claiming some football players were being paid for essentially a no show job.

These things happen and at so many schools the email would be ignored, deleted or delayed being sent to the proper authorities.

OU decided to immediately investigate. It conducted interviews, sorted out the facts and eventually zeroed in on a few potential suspects. Stoops, for his part, not only didn't resist the inquiry, he actively aided it even as he was about to lose his starting quarterback and a starting offenive lineman.

To conclude if the players were paid, the school needed their private tax records. Legally, the players didn't have to turn them over. Rather than throw up his hands, fall back on this and let the investigation stall (at least until after the Texas game) Stoops told the players they could either sign a waver to release the records or never play another down for him.

"Those players didn't have to sign their waivers to get all of their tax information," Stoops said. "But I knew for me, they are not going to play for me unless they (did) because if they are not going to give us all of the information, then something isn't right."

The guys turned over the incriminating info and on August 1, he and department officials interviewed the players. The next day they were dismissed from the team, even as it seemed to crush OU's chances of winning the Big Twelve championship.

"It was the right thing to do regardless of the consequences," Stoops said.

On August 21, less than three weeks after completing the investigation and less than six months after that first tip, the school sent the NCAA an initial report. The NCAA came and did its own investigation and in July, the major infractions punishment came down – some minor scholarship losses, probation through 2010 and the forfeiture of eight victories back in 2005.

While it would be nice if OU weren't appealing the vacated victories (it should just take the fairly empty penalty and move on), the investigation stands in stark contrast with the way many schools dealing with potential NCAA trouble. For years schools have ignored, denied and covered up original charges and then resisted when NCAA investigators tried to do their job.

Many schools prefer to launch an investigation that is as much eternal as internal. The goal is to drag things out, keep stars eligible and eventually come to a determination years later. After wasting vast sums of money with an NCAA-connected law firm, the school will then complain that any possible sanctions aren't fair since the kids currently playing had nothing to do with the long ago crime and will be unfairly punished.

This system has worked for decades. While OU isn't the first place to tackle an investigation aggressively, it may be the most surprising.

"I don't know what other schools would do," Stoops said. "Sometimes you don't have all the information. But we had all the information. Once I had all the information, I knew immediately what I was going to do. You do the right thing for this program.

"People who want to hate us (will) question it. But I know what it was about. Those guys were dismissed immediately. And I think the guys in our locker room knew that as soon as I knew (the facts), that was going to be the decision."

The ironic thing is the dismissals, the owning up to rule breaking may have helped OU handle a season that saw them not only lose those two starters, but two others due to injury (their best lineman and their superstar tailback) plus getting jobbed out of a victory at Oregon due to referee incompetence.

"Through it all we were still able to be the best we could be," Stoops said.

He's right. In the end Oklahoma won the Big 12 anyway.

Dan Wetzel is Yahoo! Sports' national columnist. Send Dan a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Updated on Thursday, Aug 16, 2007 1:36 am, EDT

opksooner
8/16/2007, 01:04 PM
Two starters and a walk-on were, indeed, paid for work they didn't do at a local car dealership. And in a small town such as Norman, the dealership was no secret – particularly considering some of the athletic department got their cars from the place. OU broke the rules, no question, and more could have been done on the front end.

What rules did OU break?

Bomar, Quinn and Macrae broke the rules.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/16/2007, 01:07 PM
Well it seems as if we actually have a well reasoned article that makes valid points and doesn't just try to say crazy ****

BornandBred
8/16/2007, 01:11 PM
Stoops has grande cojones. He is truly one of the great coaches.

8/16/2007, 01:12 PM
What rules did OU break?

Bomar, Quinn and Macrae broke the rules.I'm certainly not TOTALLY enthralled with the article, either, but it's a major improvement over the usual, pile-on OU crap.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/16/2007, 01:15 PM
Well it is easily the most subjective outsider article I have read about the incident. Could we have done more to prevent this situation....Probably..but I would bet that this has happened at other programs as well because the compliance departments can't really babysit every single kid. OU got screwed by some immature athletes but at least Bob Stoops and his staff had the balls to report themselves and to get to the bottom of it.

Collier11
8/16/2007, 01:18 PM
I'm certainly not TOTALLY enthralled with the article, either, but it's a major improvement over the usual, pile-on OU crap.

In all honesty, it would be crazy for any of us to not expect this guy or any other to bring up our past. The fact of the matter is that we did break rules even though I dont believe it was intentional on our part but it was on the players fault. I felt it was a fair and honest article!

soonerinabilene
8/16/2007, 01:23 PM
To conclude if the players were paid, the school needed their private tax records. Legally, the players didn't have to turn them over. Rather than throw up his hands, fall back on this and let the investigation stall (at least until after the Texas game) Stoops told the players they could either sign a waver to release the records or never play another down for him.

Take a hint, Pete.

BornandBred
8/16/2007, 01:24 PM
From what I understand happened, we simply didn't verify earning statements from the players. I guess we had them, just didn't look carefully enough at them to notice a large difference between these 3 players, and everyone else who worked there. By not verifying, we failed to monitor, and that is the rule we broke. I think the purpose of this article was to say that, yes, OU has a dirty past, but the current program is trying to clean up that image.

OKLA21FAN
8/16/2007, 01:26 PM
nevar heard of this Bomar and Quinn the writer speaks of.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/16/2007, 01:28 PM
nevar heard of this Bomar and Quinn the writer speaks of.

One is a medicine women and the other is the coach for the Washington Huskies...hope that clears things up

AlabamaSooner
8/16/2007, 02:28 PM
What rules did OU break?

Bomar, Quinn and Macrae broke the rules.

I think that says it best.

101sooner
8/16/2007, 03:08 PM
"Those players didn't have to sign their waivers to get all of their tax information," Stoops said. "But I knew for me, they are not going to play for me unless they (did) because if they are not going to give us all of the information, then something isn't right."

That's interesting. I've always been told that that was the situation, but I've never heard that from a direct source.

TexasLidig8r
8/16/2007, 03:09 PM
NO NO NO...

The media.. ALL OF THE MEDIA hate you guys! They go out of their way to neg you, to run your program down.. it's a conspiracy amongst the media to put down OU!! The Media takes shots at you guys ALL THE TIME!

This was obviously a mistake!

Come on haters... bash this article and writer right now! Boycott him! This media bias against OU HAS TO STOP!!!

8/16/2007, 03:16 PM
This(article) was obviously a mistake!

Not really. The author obviously has already made a deal with the refs for the upcoming RRS.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/16/2007, 03:16 PM
Lid...I am truly shocked...A whorn showing logic and reason...thanks for recognizing what we all knew was true!

goingoneight
8/16/2007, 04:04 PM
I just wish they'd stop brining up OUr past problems like we're a convicted sex offender or something. You never hear about Ohio State's problems for the Archie days when they're in the news, you never hear about Prentiss Elliot or any of their other major problems through the years when Okie Light is in the news, and you certainly never hear about O.J. Simpson and Marcus Allen when Reggie Bush is alleged "cheating."
It seems every reporter has to make fun of the name 'Sooner' and bring up something under a different coach, AD and in a different era to make a point about OU, but it's unheard of when someone else is on the ****-list. That said, I've seen way worse aggy articles than this one.

Widescreen
8/16/2007, 04:06 PM
This writer's career is effectively over. He's about to be black-balled.

8/16/2007, 04:08 PM
I just wish they'd stop brining up OUr past problems like we're a convicted sex offender or something. You never hear about Ohio State's problems for the Archie days when they're in the news, you never hear about Prentiss Elliot or any of their other major problems through the years when Okie Light is in the news, and you certainly never hear about O.J. Simpson and Marcus Allen when Reggie Bush is alleged "cheating."
It seems every reporter has to make fun of the name 'Sooner' and bring up something under a different coach, AD and in a different era to make a point about OU, but it's unheard of when someone else is on the ****-list. Well said, and that's why I was less than totally pleased with the article.

goingoneight
8/16/2007, 04:15 PM
Basically, he's not talking out his ***... that's how I see it. He didn't say anything false, but he did state irrelevant stuff.

If he wanted to say "good job Stoops," there are many ways to talk about the great things Stoops has done. You can mention his MNC, his four BIG 12 Titles, the amazing coaching jobs he's done the last two years, you could even downplay him if you wanted to with stuff like TCU, USC and 28-10 among others. Instead, they always nitpick something from decades ago that in reality, most of it was not that big of a deal when compared to EVERYBODY ELSE at the time.
It's like walking into a prison and pointing fingers at one guy for money laundering or something when everyone is in the big house for a reason.

soonerinabilene
8/16/2007, 05:00 PM
the amazing coaching jobs he's done the last two years

{nickzepp} wtf you talking about? {nickzepp}

85Sooner
8/16/2007, 05:27 PM
I wrote a letter to the NCAA regarding checks my wife was having to write (from her company) Barton Creek Home Health Care to UT players. Nothing was ever mentioned. Surprise surprise!

birddog
8/16/2007, 06:02 PM
NO NO NO...

The media.. ALL OF THE MEDIA hate you guys! They go out of their way to neg you, to run your program down.. it's a conspiracy amongst the media to put down OU!! The Media takes shots at you guys ALL THE TIME!

Come on haters... bash this article and writer right now! Boycott him! This media bias against OU HAS TO STOP!!!

seems like this is all you post lately. you'd be better off just making this your sig to save some time.

okieballin
8/17/2007, 09:44 AM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=181&F=2336#S=181&F=2336&T=847626

interesting discussion on a pokes board.

8/17/2007, 10:15 AM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=181&F=2336#S=181&F=2336&T=847626

interesting discussion on a pokes board.I read a little bit...yawn...zzzzzz.

TexasLidig8r
8/17/2007, 10:18 AM
seems like this is all you post lately. you'd be better off just making this your sig to save some time.

it just seems so apropos with all the whining and gnashing of tooth that goes on.

:D

stoopified
8/17/2007, 04:39 PM
Lid...I am truly shocked...A whorn showing logic and reason...thanks for recognizing what we all knew was true!
:D

PLaw
8/18/2007, 08:51 AM
Oklahoma's swift justice

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
August 15, 2007

NORMAN, Okla. –

While praising a coach and a repeat, repeat offender program for how it dealt with a scandal is a bit absurd – after all 1) how about not having a scandal in the first place? and 2) since they've had plenty of practice isn't about time they did it right – in reality the way OU dealt with this was, sadly, by NCAA standards, somewhat remarkable.

These things happen and at so many schools the email would be ignored, deleted or delayed being sent to the proper authorities.

Many schools prefer to launch an investigation that is as much eternal as internal. The goal is to drag things out, keep stars eligible and eventually come to a determination years later. After wasting vast sums of money with an NCAA-connected law firm, the school will then complain that any possible sanctions aren't fair since the kids currently playing had nothing to do with the long ago crime and will be unfairly punished.

This system has worked for decades. While OU isn't the first place to tackle an investigation aggressively, it may be the most surprising.

Dan Wetzel is Yahoo! Sports' national columnist. Send Dan a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Updated on Thursday, Aug 16, 2007 1:36 am, EDT

Danno's balance in the article is reasonable - after all seven major probations is ludacris. That said, there is no doubt the NCAA was looking to leverage the death penalty against OU after the '86-'87 penalities came down. I think it's also pretty obvious that OU has been an NCAA target since the '50's. Tell me the T-sips, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Alabama, FSU, and others are squeeky clean, then I have a beach front property for sale in Lubbock.

Regarding the excepts above, it looks like USC and Pete have followed this presciption to the letter.

BOOMER SOONER
PLaw

SoonerKnight
8/18/2007, 06:54 PM
From what I understand happened, we simply didn't verify earning statements from the players. I guess we had them, just didn't look carefully enough at them to notice a large difference between these 3 players, and everyone else who worked there. By not verifying, we failed to monitor, and that is the rule we broke. I think the purpose of this article was to say that, yes, OU has a dirty past, but the current program is trying to clean up that image.

If they had the earning statements then why would they need the tax records? No, the players delayed their turning in the paperwork on time and the compliance department overlooked (not on purpose) then when they got the tip they needed the tax record to see exactly what hey had earned..... Not really OU's fault thus they are appealing......

SoonerKnight
8/18/2007, 06:58 PM
NO NO NO...

That's funny your not gone yet? If I had posted some crap like that they would have banned me in second. Dang the OU boards are way more forgiving than the short horns bastages!!!!!Hook 'em Hook 'em :pop:

EstablishedSooner1967
8/18/2007, 07:08 PM
I wonder if Dan has the balls to write the same kind of stuff on USC.