PDA

View Full Version : Learning to play the geeetar?

achiro
8/16/2007, 10:02 AM
I have an ok understanding of music. Can read it ok. I want to learn to play the geeetar. Should I try to figure things out on my own or take lessons? If I try it on my own, are there any resources that you recommend?(I know I am opening myself up for the roy clark infomercial stuff :texan: )

yermom
8/16/2007, 10:11 AM
Esteban.

i keep forgetting about the lessons On Demand from COX

i'm thinking i'd kinda like to at least start with formal lessons for a while

soonerinabilene
8/16/2007, 10:23 AM
if you can read music ok, learning tablature shouldnt be that hard. Once you get used to it, you just gotta keep practicing and getting your "finger memory" built up. Im self-taught, and im tone deaf, so you really shouldnt have a problem.

dolemitesooner
8/16/2007, 10:34 AM
I learnneDED my slef platy geetar hero

NormanPride
8/16/2007, 10:36 AM
I can beat "The Warrior" on Expert, does that count?

Osce0la
8/16/2007, 10:37 AM
I taught myself and was getting to be pretty decent...then came the child and I have hardly touched my guitar over the last 2 years :O

I have a Behringer amp I am trying to get rid of if anyone wants it :D
http://www.chrisguitars.com/beh-gx112.jpg

yermom
8/16/2007, 10:37 AM
i'll give you tree fiddy

that's 3.50

dolemitesooner
8/16/2007, 10:40 AM
I can beat "The Warrior" on Expert, does that count?
**** son I can plat Trogdor on expert and not mis a ****ing note...you aint got ****

Howzit
8/16/2007, 10:40 AM
I have an ok understanding of music. Can read it ok. I want to learn to play the geeetar. Should I try to figure things out on my own or take lessons? If I try it on my own, are there any resources that you recommend?(I know I am opening myself up for the roy clark infomercial stuff :texan: )

Kind of depends on what your end goal is. If you want to just be able to play chords along with music, I'd say learn the basic chords (you can google those) and then move up to bar chords.

If you're wanting to play lead riffs, I would recommend at least a few lessons. I'm self-taught, but you will greatly reduce the amount of time by having someone help get you up and running.

Plus, it helps a lot to be ble to see someone play a riff or song.

Howzit
8/16/2007, 10:42 AM
There are also plenty of good instructional DVDs out there. Homespun used to make good VCR products, I don't know for sure but would assume they have moved to DVD.

I_SMELL_FEAR
8/16/2007, 11:59 AM
Im self taught as well, mostly free online resources that I googled, and like Osceola have not touched my guitar since my 2 1/2 year old was born. I kinda like the route I took, I can play rhythym pretty good and do some of the easier lead stuff with a little practice.

I would really like to take lessons now, just to maybe see easier ways to move around, learn more about progressions and stuff or maybe to clear up some bad habits etc...

but then again maybe its better to start out and learn the proper way right away.

with or without lessons, it takes time time and more time to be really accomplished.

frankensooner
8/16/2007, 12:48 PM
Make sure your teacher is good if your go the lessons route. I had a crappy teacher back in the day and I didn't learn a thing. You can get a lot of tab stuff free on the web. Practice til your fingers bleed and you'll be ok.

rufnek05
8/16/2007, 12:54 PM
try taking a frew weeks of lessons, buy a beginner book or 2. chords poster from wal-mart. and www.mxtabs.net YWIA

Boarder
8/16/2007, 12:55 PM
Learn the power chord. They rule.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/16/2007, 01:05 PM
MEL BAY.

Old school in your face.

apusooner
8/16/2007, 01:22 PM
teaching yourself is a great way to pick up bad habits. find a teacher. preferably one who knows lots of skynard.

yermom
8/16/2007, 01:41 PM
FREEBIRD!

IronSooner
8/16/2007, 01:57 PM
MEL BAY.

Old school in your face.

Ha, that was me. I took about 2 months of lessons before HS, then taught myself after that. I have a pretty decent ear, so after learning the basic chords and the barres I got to where I could figure out most radio songs (not hard).

I took 2 years of lessons in college...mostly learned jazz songs then, and the theory now that I was curious about why things were how they were. I took from Travis Linville, who has to be the coolest guy evar.

I'd suggest starting with lessons to get the basics down and give yourself someone to ask questions and talk to. After that if you just want to play with the radio, you're set in no time. If you want to get good at a particular style, keep up the lessons, and practice like hell.