PDA

View Full Version : UT's Sweed injured in scrimmage

colleyvillesooner
8/16/2007, 09:03 AM
If he can't go at 100% for the TCU game, that could be problematic...

AUSTIN – Texas All-Big 12 receiver Limas Sweed sprained his left wrist during a scrimmage Wednesday morning when he landed awkwardly while falling to the ground.

According to a source close to the situation, the senior will be out at least three weeks and will miss the first game of the season. Texas opens at home against Arkansas State on Sept. 1.

Texas confirmed the injury Wednesday night in a statement by head athletic trainer for football Kenny Boyd: "We will continue to evaluate him and expect a full recovery." Boyd provided no timetable for Sweed's return.

Sweed (6-5, 219) caught 46 passes for 801 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2006.

josh09
8/16/2007, 10:05 AM
And texass plays TCU? Is anyone else thinking what im thinking.....

IGotNoTiming
8/16/2007, 10:10 AM
You hate to see any kid injured... I hope he returns healthy for his team soon.

BoonesFarmSooner
8/16/2007, 10:34 AM
And texass plays TCU? Is anyone else thinking what im thinking.....

Texas will be facing a TCU team led by a true freshman at QB.

bweezie
8/16/2007, 11:19 AM
You hate to see any kid injured... I hope he returns healthy for his team soon.

well, he plays for texas so..... eh....

BASSooner
8/16/2007, 12:10 PM
Texas will be facing a TCU team led by a true freshman at QB.
UCLA beat USC with a true freshman QB...what's your point?

IGotNoTiming
8/16/2007, 12:53 PM
well, he plays for texas so..... eh....

"that is like school in the summertime....no class..."
-Weird Harold, The Fat Albert Show

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/16/2007, 01:16 PM
well, he plays for texas so..... eh....Haha!

King Crimson
8/16/2007, 01:19 PM
typical favor, wish injury on a guy.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/16/2007, 01:22 PM
typical favor, wish injury on a guy.That's some silly-a*sed analysis of my comment, at best.

The Maestro
8/16/2007, 02:24 PM

Big time UCLA recruit true freshman vs. kid not big enough for prime time college football true freshman quarterback.

Big difference. But we shall see.

Also, a true freshman in December is A LOT different than a true freshman in week two on September 8th.

BASSooner
8/16/2007, 02:28 PM
Big time UCLA recruit true freshman vs. kid not big enough for prime time college football true freshman quarterback.

Big difference. But we shall see.

Also, a true freshman in December is A LOT different than a true freshman in week two on September 8th.
Actually, he was not highly recruited at all his 2nd best offer was Idaho and some other no-name school.

snp
8/16/2007, 03:19 PM
Cowan was not a true freshman last year. He was in the class of '04.

colleyvillesooner
8/16/2007, 03:22 PM
True Freshmen...RS Sophomore, no difference ;)

Scott D
8/16/2007, 03:23 PM
pretty sure Texas still has Pittman, Cosby, and Shipley. I wouldn't worry about their ability to catch the ball against TCU even without Sweed.

snp
8/16/2007, 03:25 PM
I'd worry about Shipley staying healthy because that'll be a sign of the apocalypse.

Scott D
8/16/2007, 03:26 PM
I'd worry about Shipley staying healthy because that'll be a sign of the apocalypse.

he's only got one more ACL to blow up.

goingoneight
8/16/2007, 03:48 PM

... might add it was the 11th game of the season against a struggling USC team on UCLA's home field while you're at it. This will be the n00b's second game under center.

birddog
8/16/2007, 03:58 PM
be realistic here, texas is going to roll them up. sure we can all hope for an upset but i just don't see it happening. texas will wear them out towards the end of the 3rd quarter and go on to win something like 31-20.

birddog
8/16/2007, 03:59 PM
the real threat for them is arkansas state!

goingoneight
8/16/2007, 04:09 PM
A lot of people don't remember how truly pathetic we played, with Stoops's WORST team in oder to BARELY lose to TCU. If Bomar hadn't fumbled the ball deep in OUr own territory, they would have never punched it into the endzone and we possibly could have got a FG or something. OUr guys were out of shape, young and inexperienced, unsettled as a team, arguing on the sidelines and messing up every oppurtunity to make a play in the TCU loss. I don't see that happening when Texas plays them. This TCU team is not as good as the 2005 effort, and Texass is better than we were in early 2005.
Watch the 2005 TCU game if you don't believe me.

Seamus
8/16/2007, 04:35 PM
Watch the 2005 TCU game if you don't believe me.

No way. Not into self-abuse. :eek:

bweezie
8/16/2007, 04:55 PM
"that is like school in the summertime....no class..."
-Weird Harold, The Fat Albert Show

i guess that was a little rude. however, i would be lying if i said i hated to see colt mcoy go down last year....

colleyvillesooner
8/16/2007, 05:05 PM
bad form

sooner518
8/16/2007, 05:15 PM
this should hinder his pushing-off abilitiy

picasso
8/16/2007, 06:13 PM
that sucks

utex74
8/16/2007, 06:23 PM
Austin-American Statesman this afternoon: (along with a slam at Chip Brown for his unsubstantiated story in the DMN)

By Suzanne Halliburton | Thursday, August 16, 2007, 04:06 PM

Texas wide receiver Limas Sweed is expected to be ready for the season opener against Arkansas State, Sept. 1, a UT spokesman said Thursday.

Sweed sprained his left wrist during Wednesday morning’s scrimmage. He underwent an MRI later that day. Results were available Thursday.

Longhorn team spokesman John Bianco said that Sweed should be healthy in time for the opener. It’s unclear how much practice time he might miss. Since he’s an experienced fifth-year senior, coaches could keep him out of workouts as a precaution.

There had been unsubstantiated reports circulating Wednesday night that Sweed was expected to miss at least three weeks with the injury. Sweed didn’t even learn his official prognosis until he was told of the MRI results on Thursday. Doctors fit him with a splint Wednesday to keep him from reinjuring the wrist.

Sweed writes with his right hand, but is considered ambidextrous.

picasso
8/16/2007, 06:26 PM
Austin-American Statesman this afternoon: (along with a slam at Chip Brown for his unsubstantiated story in the DMN)

By Suzanne Halliburton | Thursday, August 16, 2007, 04:06 PM

Texas wide receiver Limas Sweed is expected to be ready for the season opener against Arkansas State, Sept. 1, a UT spokesman said Thursday.

Sweed sprained his left wrist during Wednesday morning’s scrimmage. He underwent an MRI later that day. Results were available Thursday.

Longhorn team spokesman John Bianco said that Sweed should be healthy in time for the opener. It’s unclear how much practice time he might miss. Since he’s an experienced fifth-year senior, coaches could keep him out of workouts as a precaution.

There had been unsubstantiated reports circulating Wednesday night that Sweed was expected to miss at least three weeks with the injury. Sweed didn’t even learn his official prognosis until he was told of the MRI results on Thursday. Doctors fit him with a splint Wednesday to keep him from reinjuring the wrist.

Sweed writes with his right hand, but is considered amphibious.
fixed

utex74
8/16/2007, 06:31 PM
fixed

That would also be handy in case it rains for the game.

colleyvillesooner
8/16/2007, 10:28 PM
SHOCKING!!! THE DMN got in wrong!

They are the Kings of "Gotta be first" incorrect new reporting.