PDA

View Full Version : Males 35-44 hating life?

Okla-homey
8/16/2007, 05:44 AM
See, it isn't your fault. It's the galdarned "mid-life crisis" when many of you will change jobs, buy a fancy car, join the circus or take up with a shameless hussy to prove to yourselves you are still a young stud. This just in from the British Home Office of Research of the Blindingly Obvious:

Men are most miserable in their late 30s

Some might say that all they have to worry about is getting to work on time and the onset of a little middle-aged spread.

But men in their late-30s and early-40s are the least content of all of us, it seems.

Whether they are mourning the passing of their prime or struggling to cope with the demands of a job and young family, those aged 35-44 invariably hit a mid-life crisis when their happiness level plunges lower than at any other age, according to a study for the Government.

It makes them the least satisfied members of society, scoring well below teenagers, the elderly - and women of all ages.

Researchers found that it takes men until they reach the age of 65 to start enjoying life as much as they did in their late-teens and early-20s.

More than 1,600 people were asked to score their wellbeing on a scale of one to ten in the study, part of the British Market Research Bureau survey of Britons' attitudes towards themselves,

The overall average satisfaction level for both sexes was 7.3.

Most men rated their carefree teenage years between the age of 16-24 as one if their happiest periods, with an average score of 7.55 out of ten.

But halfway through their careers, satisfaction levels dipped to a low of 6.8, only rising again to nearly 7.8 once they had crested retirement age.

The report found that women are less buoyant in their teens than men, rating their wellbeing at 7.3 out of ten.

Women said their worst years were between the age of 25 and 34, when most are coping with young children, but their wellbeing rose steadily as they got older, reaching hit a peak satisfaction level of 7.65 when over the age of 65.

Researchers found that most people rated their time at university as the best years of their life, closely followed by their retirement years.

The biggest difference between the sexes was in the contentment of those not working, with women far happier than men to stay at home not seeking work.

Overall, 74 per cent of the UK population reported that they feel positive about themselves.

But women are more likely to fret, with almost half admitting that they worry a lot, compared to less than a third of men.

King Crimson
8/16/2007, 05:53 AM
outside the fact i can't pull college girls anymore and my training to be a "horny old goat" seems to be fairly intact (which i see as a sign of "life"), i don't see this time in life as much different. i'm in better shape than i was 10 years ago. i am contemplating a career change of some kind, though. possibly teach overseas or something. you only go-around once. i guess that's the "mid-life" thing.

Okla-homey
8/16/2007, 06:00 AM
I have always maintained one's "dudehood" (I define as the period between high school and getting married) as "the golden time." But, we should not lament its passing, we should, in the immortal words of Chief Dan George in "The Outlaw Josey Wales," endeavour to perservere.

King Crimson
8/16/2007, 06:28 AM
since i'm not married (though could have been twice--once, thank GOD no....and second, maybe i blew it--but, more than willing to live with the failure)....i guess my dudehood goes onward into the valiant future....i can't say i wanna be or don't wanna be.

i saw endeavor to persevere as graffiti not too long ago.

i believe it's originally from Chief Joseph of the Nez Pierce. we learned that in Norman public schools.

KABOOKIE
8/16/2007, 06:45 AM
We hate life and we must get dumber too. ;)

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97477

SoonerBOI
8/16/2007, 07:22 AM
I just try to have a happy disposition in life.:D

VeeJay
8/16/2007, 07:27 AM
What - you break out of it when you turn 45?

yermom
8/16/2007, 01:50 PM
man, i was hoping it would get better in a few years not worse

SicEmBaylor
8/16/2007, 01:56 PM
I hate life now.

KABOOKIE
8/16/2007, 02:22 PM
I hate life now.

Don't worry you're just a few years away. The articles says your best years start at 18.

frankensooner
8/16/2007, 02:23 PM
Diet, exercise and a dose of Sam-e everyday tends to keep my spirits high. ;)

Tear Down This Wall
8/16/2007, 04:03 PM
I avoided the mid-life crisis by having my first child at 36 years old, with another one on the way at 38. I don't have time for it.

Mid-life crisis, mid-life shmisis...I'm too busy chaning diapers.

IB4OU2
8/16/2007, 04:44 PM
I avoided the mid-life crisis by having my first child at 36 years old, with another one on the way at 38. I don't have time for it.

Well, good for you, I'm old and I'm too busy getting my depends changed...

SicEmBaylor
8/16/2007, 04:56 PM
My dad's mid-life crisis has involved motorcycles and guitars. When he was a teenager he raced motorcross and had a rock band. He gave all that up for most of my life, but starting about 10 years ago he started buying up motorcycles and guitars. He's got a Harley and 3 other motorcycles plus a room full of guitars.

I find it disturbing, especially the motorcycle part.

r5TPsooner
8/16/2007, 05:25 PM
I only hate life Monday-Thursday, so I guess I'm in the minority.

soonervegas
8/16/2007, 05:37 PM

Agreed. I am a little younger than you but I don't see any time for a mid-life crisis when I will be living vicariously through my young children. I think the mid-life crisis comes from "S*&%, this things half way over." That is the only thought that ever goes through my head, but that is a product of enjoying my life so much and wanting it to last as long as possible.

bluedogok
8/16/2007, 09:41 PM
I have always maintained one's "dudehood" (I define as the period between high school and getting married) as "the golden time." But, we should not lament its passing, we should, in the immortal words of Chief Dan George in "The Outlaw Josey Wales," endeavour to perservere.
That was a 21 year period for me and no children yet at 43.

My dad's mid-life crisis has involved motorcycles and guitars. When he was a teenager he raced motorcross and had a rock band. He gave all that up for most of my life, but starting about 10 years ago he started buying up motorcycles and guitars. He's got a Harley and 3 other motorcycles plus a room full of guitars.

I find it disturbing, especially the motorcycle part.
Why is it disturbing? If it is something he enjoys then he should do it.

SicEmBaylor
8/16/2007, 09:52 PM
That was a 21 year period for me and no children yet at 43.

Why is it disturbing? If it is something he enjoys then he should do it.

Well, I think the disturbing part is that he has shown up to work on more than one occasion wearing a Harley sweatshirt. One time, when he wasn't suppose to be in the office at all, he decided to wear his full leather pants/jacket and chaps outfit.

Also, I think it's a weird sub-culture of American society that gives me the weebie jeebies.

ALSO, I don't like the idea of my parents having fun.

bluedogok
8/16/2007, 09:58 PM
OHHH...pirate gear....not my riding crowd. Many H-D riders are the wanna-be bad boys so it is pretty common, most are professionals who play the part of 1%-ers. They also love to attend bike rally's which are nothing more than adult spring breaks. It is all about fun, people should have it no matter what their age.

SicEmBaylor
8/16/2007, 10:01 PM
OHHH...pirate gear....not my riding crowd. Many H-D riders are the wanna-be bad boys so it is pretty common, most are professionals who play the part of 1%-ers. They also love to attend bike rally's which are nothing more than adult spring breaks. It is all about fun, people should have it no matter what their age.
I think that's about the summation of things, but in his defense he has been riding motorcycles his entire life. He has, at one time or another, taken every square inch of his Harley apart and replaced it with (in some cases) his own custom stuff (as in he made it himself). So, I'd put him a bit above the common weekend road warrior if I were going to make such distinctions.

bluedogok
8/16/2007, 10:09 PM
I know a few of the type, that is better than most of that crowd whose knowledge of anything mechanical is a cell phone and a credit card.

SicEmBaylor
8/16/2007, 10:10 PM
I know a few of the type, that is better than most of that crowd whose knowledge of anything mechanical is a cell phone and a credit card.
See, now you're just describing me.