PDA

View Full Version : Holy $hit, Ivan Maisel has OU & USC in the Championship game

milesl
8/15/2007, 09:15 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview07/news/story?id=2974110

2007-08 Bowl Projections
Bowl
(Matchup) Ivan Maisel Mark Schlabach
Allstate BCS Championship Game
(BCS No. 1 vs. BCS No. 2) USC vs. Oklahoma USC vs. LSU

AlabamaSooner
8/15/2007, 09:17 PM
I'd take that. At least this time we'd have the "home field advantage" and wouldn't be outnumbered 7 to 1.

CatfishSooner
8/15/2007, 09:20 PM
I would love to get them back!

Jimminy Crimson
8/15/2007, 09:25 PM
That'd kill two birds with one stone...

Getting revenge against the jimmy hats and against the 'Chocolate City'.

Jacie
8/15/2007, 09:38 PM
Schlabach's pick for Oklahoma was kinda interesting too, and a Rose Bowl official's nightmare to boot! OU vs Michigan. I wouldn't mind seeing OUr guys back in the Rose (providing we get neutral rather than Pac 10 zebras) just to be able to thumb OUr collective noses at those snobs. Everytime a Big XII South team has played there, their sacred cow (not to be confused with the school of a similar name, southern cow) tradition has taken a hit when the Pac 10/Big 10 team lost.

goingoneight
8/15/2007, 09:58 PM
We won't be in the Rose Bowl again unless we're playing for all the marbles in 2009. We're tied to the Fiesta Bowl unless we're a BCS #1 or #2.
That said, I'm more worried about the first game before I think BCS. After UAB, I knew we were in for a long year, I just didn't think it would turn out as nicely as it all did.

Widescreen
8/15/2007, 10:28 PM
Rose Bowl vs. Michigan would be very cool. Obviously not as cool as another MNC shot of course.

Spray
8/15/2007, 10:33 PM
We won't be in the Rose Bowl again unless we're playing for all the marbles in 2009. We're tied to the Fiesta Bowl unless we're a BCS #1 or #2.
That said, I'm more worried about the first game before I think BCS. After UAB, I knew we were in for a long year, I just didn't think it would turn out as nicely as it all did.

We could be if we are an at-large. Meaning Schlabach has picked Texas to win the Big XII. Or OSU (HA!)

KC//CRIMSON
8/15/2007, 10:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview07/news/story?id=2974110

2007-08 Bowl Projections
Bowl
(Matchup) Ivan Maisel Mark Schlabach
Allstate BCS Championship Game
(BCS No. 1 vs. BCS No. 2) USC vs. Oklahoma USC vs. LSU

He must have forgot the "idiot" and AD are not on the team anymore.

MR2-Sooner86
8/15/2007, 11:06 PM
That'd be awesome. Its been how long since these teams last met, 1992?

Salt City Sooner
8/15/2007, 11:37 PM
That'd be awesome. Its been how long since these teams last met, 1992?
Didn't happen then either, & I have NO idea who Willie McGinest, Rob Johnson, & Curtis Conway are. :mad:

MR2-Sooner86
8/15/2007, 11:49 PM
Didn't happen then either

You're right. It appears they last played back in 1973.

goingoneight
8/16/2007, 02:43 AM
Okay, whoever negged me and said "Hello, 2002?"

There has been an added BCS "National Championship Game" to the mix. If the Big 12 produces 2 BCS teams, undefeated and at-large like 2004, one goes to the championship game... the other goes to the "FIESTA BOWL."

We got the 2002 bid because of the Fiesta Bowl being the site of the MNC game before there was an added "BCS NC Game." The rose bowl will either be taken by a PAC 10 or Big 10 at-large if they have a team in the NC game.

King Crimson
8/16/2007, 04:41 AM
You're right. It appears they last played back in 1973.

Pruitt went for two bills that day.

Spray
8/16/2007, 08:17 AM

There has been an added BCS "National Championship Game" to the mix. If the Big 12 produces 2 BCS teams, undefeated and at-large like 2004, one goes to the championship game... the other goes to the "FIESTA BOWL."

We got the 2002 bid because of the Fiesta Bowl being the site of the MNC game before there was an added "BCS NC Game." The rose bowl will either be taken by a PAC 10 or Big 10 at-large if they have a team in the NC game.

Actually, the at-larges are drafted, so to speak. They aren't tied by conference to a bowl game. Also, though highly unlikely, the Big XII could get two in with neither being in the champ-een-ship.

BTW, I didn't neg you. :)

TexasLidig8r
8/16/2007, 08:30 AM
NO NO NO...

ESPN hates you guys! They go out of their way to neg you, to run your program down.. it's a conspiracy amongst the media to put down OU!! ESPN takes shots at you guys ALL THE TIME!

This was obviously a mistake!

Come on haters... bash this article and writer right now! Boycott him! This ESPN bias against OU HAS TO STOP!!!

FaninAma
8/16/2007, 08:34 AM
The Pac 10 are a bunch of snobs. Has anybody seen a picture of the PAC 10 commissioner? He's the guy who threatened to pull out of the BCS if they voted to go to a +1 system. He sounded like an idiot in the interview and he looks like the Crypt Keeper.

Ash
8/16/2007, 08:37 AM
NO NO NO...

ESPN hates you guys! They go out of their way to neg you, to run your program down.. it's a conspiracy amongst the media to put down OU!! ESPN takes shots at you guys ALL THE TIME!

Come on haters... bash this article and writer right now! Boycott him! This ESPN bias against OU HAS TO STOP!!!

Go sip your apple-tini and shove it, Lid.

colleyvillesooner
8/16/2007, 08:43 AM
NO NO NO...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview07/news/story?id=2971673

He's the 1 of the 2 guys out of 12 that picked us to win the Big 12.

:les:THEY DOES HATES US!!!

MojoRisen
8/16/2007, 08:46 AM

If USC is in the BCS championship and some other Factors like a Big Ten team in the BCS championship- and we are an at large BCS team we can most certainly go too the rose bowl I believe.

I am sure it is complicated- and correct me if I am wrong...

Speer
8/16/2007, 08:48 AM
NO NO NO...

Lid, been on Hornfans lately? Some folks over there are convinced ESPN has Saddam's WMDs.

OSUAggie
8/16/2007, 08:58 AM
If USC is in the BCS championship and some other Factors like a Big Ten team in the BCS championship- and we are an at large BCS team we can most certainly go too the rose bowl I believe.

I am sure it is complicated- and correct me if I am wrong...

Big XII Champ goes to the Fiesta unless they're in the BCS championship game.

An at-large BCS participant gets entered into the "at-large draft" or whatever the ****. Let's say:

1 vs. 2 = USC vs. LSU

Let's assume the Pac 10 has no other BCS teams, so they're out on the Rose Bowl.

Also assume that Texas or Nebraska or whoever your ego allows you to assume wins the Big XII.

Let's say OU only loses 1 game all year, and they're sitting there at # 5 or whatever.

Rose Bowl gets 1st pick for at-large teams, since they lost their Pac 10 tie-in to the BCS championship, while the SEC has like 11 other teams that are in the top 5, so they're getting a 2nd BCS team rather easily.

Anyway, Rose Bowl selects OU to play Michigan or Wisky or whatever other Big 10 team.

TexasLidig8r
8/16/2007, 09:02 AM
Lid, been on Hornfans lately? Some folks over there are convinced ESPN has Saddam's WMDs.

Everyone knows Michael Vick has those.

birddog
8/16/2007, 09:17 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/preview07/insider/news/story?id=2974596&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2fpreview07%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d29745 96

here's the espn power 16. yeah, same crap different format.

Speer
8/16/2007, 09:32 AM
Everyone knows Michael Vick has those.
Nope...they're buried along the Tour de France. I explained this on Hornfans but the Tour is kind of a sacred cow over there.....go figure.

josh09
8/16/2007, 09:55 AM
Oh that would be great to play SUC.

On one hand, we could get awesome revenge against them, but on the other, we could get embarrassed even more by losing to them again.....

But i have faith :D

85sooners
8/16/2007, 10:05 AM
usc=fags

BoonesFarmSooner
8/16/2007, 10:38 AM
Nope...they're buried along the Tour de France. I explained this on Hornfans but the Tour is kind of a sacred cow over there.....go figure.

Ask them how their "athlete"/indurance hero did in the Boston Marathon...

Scott D
8/16/2007, 03:33 PM

as someone pointed out, there's a bowl "pecking order". In that "pecking order" if both the rose and fiesta lose their automatic qualifier to the championship game the rose gets first pick. The only guarantee at this point is that no conference will have 3 teams in BCS Bowls. I'd agree it's likelier we'd end up in the Fiesta if Texas made it to the Championship game, and vice versa if we made it to the Championship game. However, it's not outside the realm of possibility for us to be picked over a Notre Dame (who'd be lucky to qualify for a bowl this year) or a Boise State type for the Rose. Really our only major stumbling block would be a strong #2 Pac-10 team or a strong #2 SEC team.

The Maestro
8/16/2007, 03:40 PM
Ask them how their "athlete"/indurance hero did in the Boston Marathon...

David Beckham = the new Lance Armstrong. But now, instead of doing something similar to riding to the convenient store for a fun dip and slurpee he has orange slices and Capri Sun's after his "sport".

okcusooner
8/16/2007, 10:48 PM
For me, Maisel loses a lot of credibility as an analyst by picking OU to get to the championship game. There just isn't a rational basis for this conclusion given two unsettled issues.

One, we have no information about whether Halzle, Bradford, or Nichol can win a game. The notion that OU needs nothing more than a "caretaker" quarterback is fine if you're talking 10-2. But a national championship contender almost always has a qb who can engineer a win a couple times a year, especially on the road. (i.e. Jason White at College Station in 2004)

Two, the offensive line is STILL unproven. Notions that this may be one of the nation's best units is based on a paper, surely not experience. How good was the run blocking in the Boise State game? There you have it.

I hope the annointed quarterback and offensive line flourish. However, I have to see it first. I guess Maisel doesn't.

KingDavid
8/16/2007, 11:23 PM
For me, Maisel loses a lot of credibility as an analyst by picking OU to get to the championship game. There just isn't a rational basis for this conclusion given two unsettled issues.

One, we have no information about whether Halzle, Bradford, or Nichol can win a game. The notion that OU needs nothing more than a "caretaker" quarterback is fine if you're talking 10-2. But a national championship contender almost always has a qb who can engineer a win a couple times a year, especially on the road. (i.e. Jason White at College Station in 2004)

Two, the offensive line is STILL unproven. Notions that this may be one of the nation's best units is based on a paper, surely not experience. How good was the run blocking in the Boise State game? There you have it.

I hope the annointed quarterback and offensive line flourish. However, I have to see it first. I guess Maisel doesn't.

Nick? Is that you?

Boffingham
8/17/2007, 01:45 AM
What does the M in MNC stand for?

insuranceman_22
8/17/2007, 01:47 AM

Dammit man - not only is the glass half empty, I'm wondering if there's any water in it at all!!

birddog
8/17/2007, 03:59 AM
David Beckham = the new Lance Armstrong. But now, instead of doing something similar to riding to the convenient store for a fun dip and slurpee he has orange slices and Capri Sun's after his "sport".

good one. i've never heard that before. very clever.:rolleyes:

Egeo
8/17/2007, 06:40 AM
What does the M in MNC stand for?
mythical

okcusooner
8/17/2007, 07:37 AM
Dammit man - not only is the glass half empty, I'm wondering if there's any water in it at all!!

My comments do not conclude that the glass is half empty. In fact, they suggest the glass is at LEAST half full. We just don't have all the facts yet to know whether our cup overfloweth.

GottaHavePride
8/17/2007, 07:37 PM
PSA:

The "report post" button is not the negspek button. Please do not use the "report post" button to express your disagreement with someone. Ya buncha morans.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/17/2007, 08:40 PM

It's a pre-season projection. Pre-season. Meaning before the season. Nobody has seen anything from any of these teams this season.
Scholarly, I know..

stoopified
8/17/2007, 09:43 PM
Sounds good to me.