PDA

View Full Version : I got a mac book pro

slickdawg
8/15/2007, 02:15 PM
waiting for me at work, I have to go pick it up.

is this a time to be happy or sad?

rufnek05
8/15/2007, 02:18 PM
from what i hear about mac book, its a happy time, with a few sad moments

Ike
8/15/2007, 02:21 PM
I've been nothing but happy with my macbook.

StuIsTheMan
8/15/2007, 03:39 PM
Why would you all by a book that Mac wrote...A Bob Book would be better me thinks

soonerboomer93
8/15/2007, 07:00 PM
http://tv.truenuff.com/mac/performance.php

http://tv.truenuff.com/mac/bootcamp.php

soonerboomer93
8/15/2007, 07:02 PM
anyone with linux in, is extra greatness, oh and some maybe nsfw

slickdawg
8/15/2007, 10:09 PM
Well, I am on said macbook pro, and it's sleek. But I don't know **** about macs. I've got to evaluate this thing and see if it will do what my team needs so we can get away from windows and the BSOD.

soonerboomer93
8/15/2007, 10:11 PM
No MS Access, no MS outlook, so no good for me

King Crimson
8/15/2007, 10:23 PM
Well, I am on said macbook pro, and it's sleek. But I don't know **** about macs. I've got to evaluate this thing and see if it will do what my team needs so we can get away from windows and the BSOD.

it's a good machine. i'm a low budget pirate....but mac pro is the good shizz.

Ike
8/15/2007, 10:51 PM
No MS Access, no MS outlook, so no good for me

yeah, for people that are locked into certain systems due to work constraints, it may not be so good...but for other things its great. Having a native Xserver that can easily display the stuff I have to use at work is great...I could do it with windblows too, but it took about a day to set it all up. With the mac, it just worked out of the box.

Having a linux-ish structure underneath it all, f'ing awesome. primarily due to the fact that everything I do at work is 99.7% linux based anyway.

Not having MS office software or whatever other bloated windows programs you can think of really doesn't matter much to me as all I would ever use is power point (keynote is just as good, and will display most .ppts), and occasionally excel. But for my purposes, Open Office does just as good a job with those.

Oh, and since videoconferencing has become the big thing in my field lately, it's a breeze to do it with the macbook.

I could go on, but really, I can't find a reason that I'll go back to windows...maybe I would if I really wanted to play computer games all the time....but I don't.

yermom
8/15/2007, 11:27 PM
Hummingbird Exceed does X REAL easy on Winders, i use that and an older version of ssh.com's Secure Shell client. it probably takes 15 minutes to set up

i just got my new Macbook Pro today as well, to replace my Powerbook G4 that barely needed replacing, other than not running Parallels, or other Intel Mac stuff

if you are going to evaluate it fully, i'd use Bootcamp to load Windows on it, and Parallels or VM Fusion, i've heard good things about it too

not having Outlook is a pain, but i have stopped using that even on my machine at home, just using OWA instead, so using that on my laptop isn't too much of an issue. if i didn't have a full-on desktop in my office, i'd probably think differently

i'm not sure why they haven't made a full MAPI client for Macs, it's just silly, the last one i saw was Outlook 98, and it's wasn't too bad

i never use Access, so i don't miss that at all. any other Office stuff i just use Open Office for, i haven't even messed with iWork or whatever

but basically everyone i know that needs something like that on a Mac anymore uses Parallels.

Ike
8/15/2007, 11:41 PM
Hummingbird Exceed does X REAL easy on Winders, i use that and an older version of ssh.com's Secure Shell client. it probably takes 15 minutes to set up

i just got my new Macbook Pro today as well, to replace my Powerbook G4 that barely needed replacing, other than not running Parallels, or other Intel Mac stuff

if you are going to evaluate it fully, i'd use Bootcamp to load Windows on it, and Parallels or VM Fusion, i've heard good things about it too

not having Outlook is a pain, but i have stopped using that even on my machine at home, just using OWA instead, so using that on my laptop isn't too much of an issue. if i didn't have a full-on desktop in my office, i'd probably think differently

i'm not sure why they haven't made a full MAPI client for Macs, it's just silly, the last one i saw was Outlook 98, and it's wasn't too bad

i never use Access, so i don't miss that at all. any other Office stuff i just use Open Office for, i haven't even messed with iWork or whatever

but basically everyone i know that needs something like that on a Mac anymore uses Parallels.

See, its the ssh that gives me troubles. We use kerberized ssh, and finding the right version thats compatible with the systems at work for winders is sometimes tough.

I stopped using outlook years ago. used to use thunderbird on winders, but have switched nearly completely to web based mail.