PDA

View Full Version : Making the switch- Direct TV

okienole3
8/15/2007, 12:48 PM
Has anyone switched over from Cox Cable to Direct TV? I was wondering how you liked the service. I am thinking about making the switch in time for football season.

C&CDean
8/15/2007, 12:51 PM
No, but I switched to Dish.

royalfan5
8/15/2007, 12:54 PM
My parents switched from bunny ears to directTV awhile back and are quite happy with it.

SoonerBorn68
8/15/2007, 12:55 PM
I've had DirecTV for 10 years or so. No complaints.

...and it's easy to set up anywhere. :)

1stTimeCaller
8/15/2007, 12:56 PM
I have Dish and really like it. The only problem I have is that Ardmore doesn't have a local ABC station so I don't get ABC. I can pay another $2.99/month to get an ABC station out of Atlanta or NYC. Looks like I'll have to get creative to get regional broadcasts of the Sooners on ABC.

SoonerBorn68
8/15/2007, 12:58 PM
Psst 1TC, change your address to somewhere in the metro & then request a paperless bill. Problem solved.

SoonerBorn68
8/15/2007, 01:00 PM
With my Direct I can get OKC locals as far west as Amarillo, east as Clarksville, AR, north as Liberal, and as south as Paducha, TX.

So far.

1stTimeCaller
8/15/2007, 01:00 PM
That's my plan. I already get a paperless bill.

Widescreen
8/15/2007, 01:01 PM
DTV is a good choice if you're not into HD. I don't think they've added any new HD channels in over 2 years. Yes, I know they're talking about adding eleventy billion "real soon now" but I've been watching the sat industry for a long time and never assume anything until it's actually available. A year from now DTV might be the HD leader but I wouldn't jump on that bandwagon yet. Like I said, if you're OK with their current HD offerings or don't care about HD, you'll probably be pleased. They were just named #1 in JD Powers and Associates customer satisfaction survey.

Turd_Ferguson
8/15/2007, 01:02 PM
I've had DirecTV for 10 years or so. No complaints.

...and it's easy to set up anywhere. :)
Werd

JohnnyMack
8/15/2007, 01:07 PM
I have Cox. Suck it all you dish havers.

okienole3
8/15/2007, 01:09 PM
DTV is a good choice if you're not into HD. I don't think they've added any new HD channels in over 2 years. Yes, I know they're talking about adding eleventy billion "real soon now" but I've been watching the sat industry for a long time and never assume anything until it's actually available. A year from now DTV might be the HD leader but I wouldn't jump on that bandwagon yet. Like I said, if you're OK with their current HD offerings or don't care about HD, you'll probably be pleased. They were just named #1 in JD Powers and Associates customer satisfaction survey.

For now, I am OK with sports and sports in HD. They have ESPN and ESPN2, plus the local channels. So, that may be enough for me. I am kind of intrigued by their offer of their "best programming" for "free" if you sign up for the NFL ticket. Bascially that means you get everything for the price of the NFL ticket for 4 months.

SoonerBorn68

I only have one. Freak.

OUDoc
That's a little homo-erotic, isn't it?

JohnnyMack
8/15/2007, 01:10 PM
I only have one. Freak.

I'm a walking menage a trois.

Boomer.....
8/15/2007, 01:11 PM
x2

OU Adonis
8/15/2007, 01:13 PM
Why do you want to leave Cox?

Widescreen
8/15/2007, 01:23 PM
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/4531/image3f8bf47km5.png
Freebird!!!!!! :D

Personally, it would take the deal of the century to make me go back to cable.

JohnnyMack
8/15/2007, 01:24 PM

How about a really bad storm?

SoonerBOI
8/15/2007, 01:27 PM
Back home in Atlanta, I switched from COMCAST HD to DirectTV HD. zero complaints.

SoonerBorn68
8/15/2007, 01:33 PM
How about a really bad storm?

The sat goes down for a few minutes or maybe a half hour if it's really bad.

JohnnyMack
8/15/2007, 01:34 PM
The sat goes down for a few minutes or maybe a half hour if it's really bad.

How about a really bad storm......during an OU game?

OU Adonis
8/15/2007, 01:36 PM
Cable is better than Dish. Cox is > than Comcast as well.

SoonerBorn68
8/15/2007, 01:39 PM
How about a really bad storm......during an OU game?

Well, out on the road I've got no choice...AND, usually the game is replayed later so I can at least catch it on the TiVo.

It hasn't happened yet, and you better not have jinxed me. :mad:

;)

1stTimeCaller
8/15/2007, 02:06 PM
Cable sucks. There is no way you can say with a straight face, unless you are employed by a cable company, that cable is better than satellite TV.

JohnnyMack
8/15/2007, 02:10 PM
Cable sucks. There is no way you can say with a straight face, unless you are employed by a cable company, that cable is better than satellite TV.

Cable is better than satellite. You suck. Dean's balls.

jeremy885
8/15/2007, 03:03 PM
Cable is better than Dish. Cox is > than Comcast as well.

Have dish now in McKinney and it sucks compared to Cox Cable. Hate to say it, but the only thing I miss about moving from OKC to McKinney is not having Cox Cable. They came out to fix my cable on New Years day, so I could watch the OU/AR Cotton Bowl.

1stTimeCaller
8/15/2007, 03:23 PM
Cable is better than satellite. You suck. Dean's balls.

Only on game days my friend, only on gamedays.

1stTimeCaller
8/15/2007, 03:24 PM
They came out to fix my cable on New Years day, so I could watch the OU/AR Cotton Bowl.
I've never had a problem with not getting programming from Dish. Other than when I was first learning how to set it up on location. I've never had a problem at my house.

Beef
8/15/2007, 03:29 PM
Have dish now in McKinney and it sucks compared to Cox Cable. Hate to say it, but the only thing I miss about moving from OKC to McKinney is not having Cox Cable. They came out to fix my cable on New Years day, so I could watch the OU/AR Cotton Bowl.
You should have been at the game all hungover and freezing like the rest of us, Sally.

Beef
8/15/2007, 03:31 PM
And my experience with DirecTV has been so much better than cable. I would go with AT&T's new fiber optic stuff if they had the NFL Sunday Ticket, though.

birddog
8/15/2007, 03:35 PM
i love direct tv. i think it's worth it but it is a pain the ace when a storm is abrewin".

i think it has a much cleaner picture than cable.

OUDoc
8/15/2007, 03:44 PM
your mom watches cable.

Widescreen
8/15/2007, 04:06 PM
They came out to fix my cable on New Years day, so I could watch the OU/AR Cotton Bowl.
I would've sued them for that.

BORINGEST
GAME
EVER

I_SMELL_FEAR
8/15/2007, 04:16 PM
I actually have more trouble with my directtv a light rain than a storm. All the heavy storms we had this year, I didnt lose reception once...but one evening it was sprinkling and looked like a storm was coming and it went out..came back in a few minutes.

My one complaint is the service...they have "#1 in customer service" but I dont know who they are competing against. Every time I call I either get a smartass that doesnt want to listen, or a very friendlly, but wrong person. And every time I call to price something, I get a different price each call.

I also had a friend who signed up and they missed their appt. to do the install 3 times, then they called at like 10:30 at night wanting to do it. He told them to forget it, and hired out a local guy to install everything.

Other than that its just peachy...

r5TPsooner
8/15/2007, 04:23 PM

Agreed! Cox is the worst company that I've personally ever dealt with and by far the worst in the state of Oklahoma.

Don't worry about storm outages with satellite because you will have outages for no damn good reason with Cox when it's clear and sunny outside. If Cox had any competition in this state, they'd be out of business because there internet sucks almost as bad as there cable service does!

Make the switch and never look back.

stoopified
8/15/2007, 04:50 PM
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/4531/image3f8bf47km5.png
Freebird!!!!!! :D

Bingo.Can't speak for Direct TV but Dish is 5 X better than cable.

bluedogok
8/15/2007, 11:18 PM
One of the new DirecTV sats already went up and the second is suppose to go up in October I think. New HD channel spots have started popping up on my HD-DVR, I think the real focus is to have them on in the fall.

The sat goes down for a few minutes or maybe a half hour if it's really bad.You need your dish realigned if you are getting rain fade.....that and some Loctite.

I actually have more trouble with my directtv a light rain than a storm. All the heavy storms we had this year, I didnt lose reception once...but one evening it was sprinkling and looked like a storm was coming and it went out..came back in a few minutes.

My one complaint is the service...they have "#1 in customer service" but I dont know who they are competing against. Every time I call I either get a smartass that doesnt want to listen, or a very friendlly, but wrong person. And every time I call to price something, I get a different price each call.

I also had a friend who signed up and they missed their appt. to do the install 3 times, then they called at like 10:30 at night wanting to do it. He told them to forget it, and hired out a local guy to install everything.

Other than that its just peachy...
I guess that tells you just how poor the other services are. I had a few issues with the Extra Innings Superfan HD package staying activated at the start of the season, it has been fine since. I think that I have had to call them all of 8 times in the 9 years that i have been with DirecTV. The HD upgrade was the only time that I had DTV do an install, that was because they provided a new dish and multiswitch for free. I had to go back up there once and align/tighten/Loctite everything.

oumartin
8/15/2007, 11:30 PM
I've got both dish and directv and as far as channel choices Directv is the only way to go. Dish is more expensive as well.
Now, as far as storms are concerned. My dish never went out unless you were about to be blown away. A small thunderhead will knock out my directv

SoonerBorn68
8/15/2007, 11:32 PM
Hey martin, you ought to take a pic of our hillbilly dueling satellite systems. :D

oumartin
8/15/2007, 11:35 PM
all i got is my camera phone this trip!

SoonerBorn68
8/15/2007, 11:37 PM
I've got mine in the truck. I'll take a pic in the morning. :D

goingoneight
8/16/2007, 03:08 AM
Megots Cox digital cable, and the HD channels to boot. Getting a DVR next week so I can record the games this year to DVD. If the game ends up like the game which we do not speak of... BOOM!!! Nevar happened.
If it ends like the RRS 2001, well then I'm just a little better than all of you cuz I gots in on an HD DVD. :D

bluedogok
8/16/2007, 09:52 PM
I already have an HD-DVR..........the F-Bowl was promptly deleted.

Did Cox ever add KOCO-HD?