PDA

View Full Version : Box doesn't seem particularly thrilled about his situation

Widescreen
8/15/2007, 10:46 AM
Interesting comments from AB. It's obvious he'd rather not be stuck at Will. Hopefully he'll get to see the field a fair amount.

mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/07-08/video/m-footbl/08aug/20070815_i_austin_box.wmv

Tear Down This Wall
8/15/2007, 10:56 AM
Or, he could just beat out Ryan Reynolds. Then, there really wouldn't be any question about him liking where Coach Venables "stuck" him.

Widescreen
8/15/2007, 11:12 AM
Thought it was interesting that when he was asked how he ended up at Will, his comment was that Venables "stuck him there" (as TDTW alluded to). He may just be too inexperienced at giving interviews to know not to say exactly what he feels.

JohnnyMack
8/15/2007, 11:13 AM
From the few times I saw him play in HS he looks like a Will or that he should get shoved all the way back to safety.

NS5
8/15/2007, 11:41 AM
Injuries, God forbid.

MojoRisen
8/15/2007, 11:51 AM
He showed up this spring and fall- played good. I don't blame him for wanting to learn something else as well or be behind Reynolds until he is a Junior. 2nd string is important though if he is really on the 2 deep - Reynolds is supposed to be great but isn't ever really healthy too this point.

Taxman71
8/15/2007, 12:22 PM
Another reason freshman should not give interviews. You should just be happy you set on the field for a top 10 team if you are a true frosh.

The Maestro
8/15/2007, 12:33 PM
Another reason freshman should not give interviews. You should just be happy you set on the field for a top 10 team if you are a true frosh.

COMPLETELY AGREE! I am surprised Stoops even let this happen.

This ain't Enid, brotha! Or intramurals! Go win the job. Many greats at OU started on the sidelines as well.

BornandBred
8/15/2007, 12:44 PM
His actions will speak volumes about his character. Does he continue to cry about not starting, or does he bust his hump and earn a spot? He's used to being the big fish in a small pond, but this is the ocean son.

Seamus
8/15/2007, 01:45 PM
Dunno, sounded to me like he just wants to get on the field -- like any competitor would. Don't think there is a controversy here, at least not yet.

But I agree, freshmen should not be doing interviews.

SoonerSinger3
8/15/2007, 02:09 PM
agreed w/ seamus...he sounds to me like he just wants on the field...he will be fine..box will be a starter i think no later than his sophomore year..the guy is too good...i watched him in high school and he was a stud...i know enid is not big time football, but he almost singlehandedly led enid to 6A state championship game...he's gonna be a good one

imjebus
8/15/2007, 03:24 PM
He could be a good one, from what I hear around the enid area is that he thinks he is the second coming. He also got away with alot of crap because of who his dad is. At least thats what I have heard....

Seamus
8/15/2007, 03:40 PM
What high school stud doesn't have an inflated opinion of himself?

Where would we be if we didn't have the Internoose to string up young players ... ? :rolleyes:

Taxman71
8/15/2007, 03:40 PM
I, too, love the fire in his belly. But 18 year olds say dumb things they regret later...especially if it causes a rift with your coaches and teammates.

oumartin
8/15/2007, 03:56 PM
well I remember how upset I was when Blake switched me from running back to deep snapper! ;)

goingoneight
8/15/2007, 04:24 PM
I thought it was allsome when he moved me from deep-snapper to quarterback. ;)

stoopified
8/15/2007, 04:25 PM
I like competetive attitudes,I wonder about players who are HAPPY to be second string.

BigDeezy
8/15/2007, 05:23 PM
I don't know why, but Blake never moved me at all!

Echoes
8/15/2007, 07:19 PM
Guys, don't worry about this. Box is young, and eager. He is also one of my good friends. I have talked to him about this interview, he didn't mean anything at all by it. He knew after he said it that it came across a little wrong, but it happens. The kid is young, its just about his first interview ever. He's just a little eager to get on the field, there is high expectations out of Enid as to what he can do. He will see the field, he is a phenomenal athlete.

As to the guy who commented about him having a big head.. I have never really seen that. I have heard that alot from people who are not around him much or don't know him personally, etc etc. I hear it about any college athlete that I know.. That they are stuck up, or thinks they are above everyone else. He is just a normal kid, who is eager to get on the field. His dad has got him out of nothing. He was cited an mip, and had to pay the fine and do the work just like everyone else did. It's not like he is used to being some big shot, although many people view it that way.

Anyways, He is my friend and all that so I just thought I would drop my two cents in on his explanation of the interview and defend him a tad bit :)

BOOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!

birddog
8/15/2007, 07:31 PM
nice work. sometimes old dudes can find a way to magnify something that never even existed.:D

snp
8/15/2007, 07:49 PM
I could've swore Stoops forbid freshman from giving interviews. Did this change recently?

soonerboomer93
8/15/2007, 07:55 PM
um, I'm pretty sure he said he was "stuck" in the postion by venables because that's where he could contribute the most.

He didn't say it as a negative, he just stated he wants playing time...

Since71ASooner4Life
8/15/2007, 08:35 PM
He's used to being the big fish in a small pond, but this is the ocean son.

Even bigger - this is Oklahoma

Harry Beanbag
8/15/2007, 08:59 PM
I agree that he just wants to get on the field, no big deal here. But Will is a much better opportunity for him anyway, Sam is off the field half the time in nickel sets.

snp
8/15/2007, 11:43 PM
Just more evidence that there should be no such thing as offseason. People making much to do about nothing.

OK2LA
8/15/2007, 11:52 PM
Is it me, or does he look more like a Rob than a Will or a Sam?

stonecoldsoonerfan
8/16/2007, 05:06 AM
well I remember how upset I was when Blake switched me from running back to deep snapper! ;)

well I remember how upset I was when Blake switched me from deep snapper to special teams twister mat manager! ;)

Taxman71
8/16/2007, 09:02 AM
If Austin Box really wants to endear himself to his coaches and fans, he will change his first name.

zeke
8/16/2007, 09:46 AM
Looks like a guy who wants to play. I see nothing negative in the interview at all.

achiro
8/16/2007, 12:13 PM
Guys, don't worry about this. Box is young, and eager. He is also one of my good friends. I have talked to him about this interview, he didn't mean anything at all by it. He knew after he said it that it came across a little wrong, but it happens. The kid is young, its just about his first interview ever. He's just a little eager to get on the field, there is high expectations out of Enid as to what he can do. He will see the field, he is a phenomenal athlete.

As to the guy who commented about him having a big head.. I have never really seen that. I have heard that alot from people who are not around him much or don't know him personally, etc etc. I hear it about any college athlete that I know.. That they are stuck up, or thinks they are above everyone else. He is just a normal kid, who is eager to get on the field. His dad has got him out of nothing. He was cited an mip, and had to pay the fine and do the work just like everyone else did. It's not like he is used to being some big shot, although many people view it that way.

Anyways, He is my friend and all that so I just thought I would drop my two cents in on his explanation of the interview and defend him a tad bit :)

BOOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are enough stories floating around Enid that I have been very concerned that we have another Bomar type on the team. None of them "too" bad imo but enough that my hope has been that he has grown up and understands the importance of staying "clean" while he is on the team.

Now if those stories are not true, I am very happy to hear it and can breath a sigh of relief as opposed to holding said breath. The circumstances around the mip were stupid for all the kids involved and all of them should have known better. They are lucky they didn't get a b&e on top of the mip. I might just have to PM you and ask about a couple of things I've heard so you can tell me my "sources" are full-o-crap and I can go beat their arses for spreading that stuff.:texan:

SoonerinBoulder
8/16/2007, 12:39 PM
I did see that he has switched to #42, which as was pointed out to me likely sets him up to play on special teams this year alongside D. Murray. So he has that going for him, which is nice.

Sooner98
8/16/2007, 12:46 PM
This ain't Enid, brotha! Or intramurals! Go win the job. Many greats at OU started on the sidelines as well.

IT'S DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL!! IT'S THE BIG TWELVE!! IT AIN'T INTRAMURALS!!!

http://mypickspal.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/dan-hawkins-buffaloes.jpg

illinisooner
8/16/2007, 01:27 PM
What high school stud doesn't have an inflated opinion of himself?

Where would we be if we didn't have the Internoose to string up young players ... ? :rolleyes:

This is why Southern Cal has 10 running backs.

snp
8/16/2007, 03:02 PM

Looks like 9 now.

http://www.latimes.com/services/site/premium/access-registered.intercept

Scott D
8/16/2007, 03:28 PM

the re-recruitment of Moody should be amusing to watch if nothing else.

Taxman71
8/16/2007, 03:31 PM

That's alot of beach houses.

Harry Beanbag
8/16/2007, 04:47 PM
Looks like 9 now.

http://www.latimes.com/services/site/premium/access-registered.intercept

So what happened? I'm not registering to read that.

The Maestro
8/16/2007, 04:57 PM

Emmanuelle Moody go bye-bye. He left due to fear of not playing. Funny how being 1 of 10 running backs might make a guy feel that way. At OU in the 70's we called that a "defensive back".

Harry Beanbag
8/16/2007, 05:12 PM
Emmanuelle Moody go bye-bye. He left due to fear of not playing. Funny how being 1 of 10 running backs might make a guy feel that way. At OU in the 70's we called that a "defensive back".

He couldn't figure that out before he signed there and wasted a couple years of eligibility? Has he announced where he's transferring yet?

The Maestro
8/16/2007, 05:20 PM
Sam Houston State.

I keed, I keed. No announcement yet. But man, that would make things interesting in Huntsville.

snp
8/16/2007, 06:12 PM

www.bugmenot.com

I actually linked the wrong article, so my bad.

Tailback Moody to transfer
The sophomore from Texas was the Trojans' second-leading rusher last season. But he said last week he felt 'forgotten' because of a number of injuries.
By Gary Klein
August 16, 2007

Emmanuel Moody
Emmanuel Moody
click to enlarge
Tailback Emmanuel Moody, USC's second-leading rusher last season, will transfer to another school, several sources said Wednesday.

Moody is one of three USC tailbacks who appear on the regional cover of Sports Illustrated's college football preview edition. But amid continuing speculation that a 10-deep position group would cause one or more tailbacks to transfer, the sophomore from Texas was a no-show at practice and at evening team meetings.

Coach Pete Carroll declined to comment.

Moody could not be reached for comment, but he said last week that he "felt forgotten" coming into training camp because of an ankle injury that forced him to sit out the Trojans' last four games and a hamstring injury that caused him to sit out nearly all of spring practice.

Moody had looked good in the first week, but he suffered a knee bruise in Sunday's scrimmage at the Coliseum and did not practice Monday or Tuesday.

Moody did not attend Wednesday morning's walkthrough. Afterward, when most players retire to the dorms to nap, Moody walked the campus talking on his cellphone.

After the Trojans began practice, Moody walked toward the dorm in a T-shirt and shorts. Asked if he was off to see a doctor, Moody said he was going to fill out paperwork and would have more tests on his knee.

USC's tailback depth might have taken another hit on Wednesday.

Freshman Joe McKnight sprained his knee trying to block and retired to the trainers' table for most of practice. McKnight said he would be out the rest of the week.

"I'll be OK," said McKnight, who was fitted with a brace.

Freshman Marc Tyler, who broke his leg last season, is not practicing and sixth-year senior Hershel Dennis has been held out because of knee soreness.

I've heard Oklahoma State's name thrown around but it's still way too early. He's from Coppell (Dallas) so I'd imagine he'll stick somewhere close to home.

BornandBred
8/16/2007, 09:31 PM

I think AP and DJ Wolfe know all about that.

Scott D
8/17/2007, 09:42 AM
www.bugmenot.com

I actually linked the wrong article, so my bad.

I've heard Oklahoma State's name thrown around but it's still way too early. He's from Coppell (Dallas) so I'd imagine he'll stick somewhere close to home.

if Joe Schad is to be believed the "contenders" are Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, TCU, and Arkansas.

snp
8/17/2007, 02:52 PM
if Joe Schad is to be believed the "contenders" are Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, TCU, and Arkansas.

I'll never believe a premier RB will go to Texas Tech. Running draws 10 times a game and catching shovel passes is not a dream of RBs. The rest of the teams I can buy.

More Moody stuff:

Why did you choose Texas? "God chose Texas for me. He wanted me to commit to Texas. That was just point blank. Texas was showing me a lot of love. At the same time, God also changes plans, but I'm all for Texas right now. In seven months, a lot can change. I'm going to visit USC. USC verbally offered me before I committed to Texas, and USC has always been on my mind."

Why did you commit early? "I've been praying about it. The closer I get with God, the more I can hear him and the more he talks to me. God chose Texas."

Most recruiting phone calls received in one day: Eight

Most recruiting letters in one day: 30

If I don't sign with Texas on Feb. 1, 2006, I would probably sign with: USC.

Is this Texas' year to compete for a national title? "Not yet. Once I get there. I'll be the X-factor."

Moody said he spends 30 minutes to an hour praying each morning. He said God gave him a vision when he was 13.

"He said I was going to make the NFL, and from there I'll have a lot of followers and then I'm going to open up my own church and a lot of people will listen," Moody said. "He's going to use me through football. He's going to put me in the NFL not to get rich or have fame but to do His works."

birddog
8/17/2007, 03:10 PM
paging wyatt sexton.