PDA

View Full Version : Inquiring mind wants to know...

Spray
8/15/2007, 08:56 AM
If one flap of a butterfly's wings can spawn a hurricane...

What would happen if everyone on earth sneezed simultaneously?

Or better yet, what if there was a coordinated deep breath and exhale?

OU Adonis
8/15/2007, 08:57 AM
Did you miss the drunkytown thread?

Spray
8/15/2007, 09:15 AM
Don't tell me they already answered this long, unsolved mystery.

I miss all the good stuff.

Hamhock
8/15/2007, 09:17 AM

huh?

OU Adonis
8/15/2007, 09:25 AM
Why do we drive in a parkway and park in a driveway?

Why do we call them buildings if they are already built?

yermom
8/15/2007, 10:04 AM

huh?

they used to call Chaos Theory "The Butterfly Effect"

it has to do with dynamic non-linear systems (such as weather) and their sensitivity to initial conditions

very small changes can have dramatic effects

King Crimson
8/15/2007, 10:14 AM
it's a theory of radical causation. there's a lot of similar type stuff in ancient Greek philosophy--though obviously more speculative than scientific. particularly the so-called Stoic and Epicurean schools that were after Plato or Aristotle. Also, similar riffing in the pre-socratic Heraclitus.

VeeJay
8/15/2007, 10:28 AM
I've heard that hurricanes are nature's way of paying back the South for slavery.

rebmus
8/15/2007, 10:53 AM
kill all butterflies and end hurricanes.

VeeJay
8/15/2007, 10:55 AM
Caterpillar larvae is teh succ.

Howzit
8/15/2007, 11:02 AM
Or what if everone on earth PLUS the butterfly sneezed simultaneously?

picasso
8/15/2007, 12:10 PM
I've got a bumper sticker on my car that says "what if the whole world farted at once?"

that and "my kid got your honor student pregnant."

I'm so proud.

Widescreen
8/15/2007, 12:14 PM
they used to call Chaos Theory "The Butterfly Effect"

it has to do with dynamic non-linear systems (such as weather) and their sensitivity to initial conditions

very small changes can have dramatic effects
Look at yermom being all Bill Nye and stuff. :D

SoonerBOI
8/15/2007, 01:41 PM

What would happen if everyone on earth sneezed simultaneously?

Or better yet, what if there was a coordinated deep breath and exhale?

Coordinated deep breath and exhale, that will be Hurricane Halitosis.:D

Hamhock
8/15/2007, 01:59 PM
Or what if everone on earth PLUS the butterfly sneezed simultaneously?

it's not "butterflies"?

Spray
8/15/2007, 07:08 PM
So 14 replies in and noone has actually posited a theory to answer my question(s)?

COME ON FREAKS!

(Other than Hurricane Halitosis- thanks BOI. Its a start.)

(And I'm not sure what all that Greek mumbo jumbo Crimson was mumbling about is supposed to be. I actually have a visual of a homeless guy on a street corner with a hat that says "King Crimson" (like that Noah Friedlander dude) talking to himself repeating that post over and over and then screaming "EGG SANDWICH!")

King Crimson
8/15/2007, 07:40 PM
So 14 replies in and noone has actually posited a theory to answer my question(s)?

COME ON FREAKS!

(Other than Hurricane Halitosis- thanks BOI. Its a start.)

(And I'm not sure what all that Greek mumbo jumbo Crimson was mumbling about is supposed to be. I actually have a visual of a homeless guy on a street corner with a hat that says "King Crimson" (like that Noah Friedlander dude) talking to himself repeating that post over and over and then screaming "EGG SANDWICH!")

King Crimson is an awfully long word to put on a hat. unless it's an asshat, like the one you wear. it's always a sign of intellectual curiousity to ridicule others when you don't understand something.

StuIsTheMan
8/15/2007, 08:10 PM
Apartments, why they are so close together...and my favorite...
Therapist...
THE RAPIST:eek:

oumartin
8/15/2007, 08:14 PM
wow yermon you are alot smarter than you appear! ;)

Spray
8/15/2007, 10:49 PM
King Crimson is an awfully long word to put on a hat. unless it's an asshat, like the one you wear. it's always a sign of intellectual curiousity to ridicule others when you don't understand something.

You weren't the butt of a joke, KC- just the subject. Absolutely nothing meant by it. I singled you out precisely because you took my initial post seriously and gave a legit response. It didn't fit in with the rest of the foolios responding. Pure sarcasm on my part.

By the way, I wear a size 8 asshat. (more sarcasm)

Spray
8/15/2007, 10:51 PM
wow yermon you are alot smarter than you appear! ;)

Don't let him fool you. He copied that response off the back of a cereal box he read this morning.

StuIsTheMan
8/15/2007, 10:52 PM

Someone's taking lessons huh;)

King Crimson
8/15/2007, 10:57 PM
You weren't the butt of a joke, KC- just the subject. Absolutely nothing meant by it. I singled you out precisely because you took my initial post seriously and gave a legit response. It didn't fit in with the rest of the foolios responding. Pure sarcasm on my part.

By the way, I wear a size 8 asshat. (more sarcasm)

if true, my apologies. though i think a couple of the other guys gave legit response.

i'm not really sure i believe you given the homeless egg thing. the other "foolios" didn't merit the same "sarcasm", apparently.

KC.

Spray
8/15/2007, 11:03 PM
My fault, KC. No offense intended.

StoopTroup
8/16/2007, 02:47 AM
Just think...

If one attack of explosive diarhea equaled a Mount Vesuvius eruption...

http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/volc/fig25.gif