PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning: Worlds Greatest Okie passes

Okla-homey
8/15/2007, 06:04 AM
Please note: a certain baby AF officer asked yesterday to post the dailly GM installment this morning. I told him "roger", but be sure to do so before 0600CDT because if he didn't, I had to do it anyway because we don't want regular GM service interrupted for our subscribers. See, we ain't like the Post Office cuz this baby hits your driveway every morning, rain, sleet or shine. Anyhoo, 0600 came and went. Flippin' whippersnapper butter-bars. Maybe he stayed out late cruising San Antonio nursing homes for chicks?

August 15, 1935 Oklahomans Will Rogers and Wiley Post killed in plane crash

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/4804/will20rogers1je.jpg
Will Rogers. 1879-1935

72 years ago on this day in 1935, beloved actor and humorist Will Rogers died in a plane crash near Barrow, Alaska while flying with his friend and fellow Okie, aviation pioneer Wiley Post. They had planned to overfly the North Pole and were departing on their last leg of that mission when they were lost.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/6497/untitled5kf.png
As you can see, Barrow AK is at the very northern tip of Alaska.

There will be a wreath-laying in commemoration at Will's place in Claremore.

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/2923/rogerspostlastphoto0ys.jpg
Last known photo of Will and Wiley, taken just prior to take-off on the morning of their death, 15 August 1935.

Rogers, born in 1879 in Oklahoma Territory -- 28 years before Oklahoma became a state-- Rogers became an immensely popular entertainer in the early 1900s. An expert rider and roper since childhood, Rogers took at job herding pack animals and transporting them from Argentina to South Africa for use by the British in the Boer War.

It was in Africa that he honed his roping skills. He later traveled abroad with a Wild West show. Later, he appeared at fairs and vaudeville shows, sprinkling his riding and trick roping act act with his gentle, folksy humor.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/7892/wiley20post20memorial19oq.jpg
Monument to Will and Wiley placed near the "Will Rogers-Wiley Post Airport" terminal in Barrow AK. There are stone plinths at the site of the crash, but since no roads lead out there, it was decided to place the main interpretive monument in Barrrow.
http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/4742/postrogerscover26gq.jpg
The monument was purchased by funds raised through the sale of these postal covers for .50 each in 1938.

In 1912, Rogers began appearing in musical comedies, and by 1917 he was starring in the Ziegfeld Follies. His folk wisdom won the hearts of the nation. He appeared in a few early films, but silent movies failed to do justice to his verbal talents.

With the dawn of talking pictures in the late 1920s, Rogers became a top box-office draw. His films included Happy Days (1929), A Connecticut Yankee (1929), and Ambassador Bill (1931). In 1930, William S. Paley persuaded Rogers to try radio. Although Rogers was skeptical of the medium and disliked the microphone, his 12-episode show- full of his trademark humor and thoughtful political observations -was a hit.

Later, he returned to radio, hosting Gulf Headliners in the early 1930s. Two of his films which had been finished just prior to his polar expedition with his friend Wiley Post, were released after Rogers' death. Rogers is considered by most entertainment historians to be among the top three most popular stars in Hollywood in the early 1930's.

Rogers declined a nomination as governor of Oklahoma but later served as mayor of Beverly Hills.

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/1489/lastfarewell4pc.jpg
An artist's rendering of Will and Wiley's departure on the that fateful morning in Wiley's heavily modified Lockheed "Sirius." -- normally a land plane, Post had added floats, replaced the factory engine with one more powerful, added a three-blade, variable pitch prop, increased the length of the factory wings and added internal fuel tanks to increase range. Some have opined these mods probably led to the crash -- particularly, a dangerous fuel imbalance caused by a fatal error in fuel tank management enroute that morning. No one knows for sure.

Wiley Post was a leading aviation expert in an era when folks were still trying to decide if flying would ever be more than a mere novelty. Post was the first man to fly solo around the world.

http://aycu22.webshots.com/image/25541/2005107827604721389_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2005107827604721389)
A replica of "Winnie Mae," the Lockheed Vega Post flew solo around the world hangs in the rotunda of the Oklahoma History Center across the street from the Capitol off North Classen in OKC.

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/4383/insane7zo5bp.jpg

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2007, 06:49 AM
a relative of mine thru marriage!

KsSooner
8/15/2007, 06:52 AM
At one point Will Rogers was the #1 Box Office draw, #1 newspaper columnist, and had #1 radio show. Hope the generations to come don't forget him...

OU4LIFE
8/15/2007, 07:45 AM
He also developed the first pressure suit, and the original Winnie Mae hangs in the National Air & Space museum at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, in Va.

and by "he" I mean Wiley.

Okla-homey
8/15/2007, 08:23 AM
He also developed the first pressure suit, and the original Winnie Mae hangs in the National Air & Space museum at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, in Va.

bankrolled by Frank Phillips I might add, proving once again, Green Country RMFO.

In fact, Toby Keith may be the only famous Okie from outside NE OK.;)

OUDoc
8/15/2007, 08:28 AM
Chuck Norris? :mad:

Okla-homey
8/15/2007, 08:34 AM
Chuck Norris? :mad:

Wilson, OK, in the Red River Valley.

I stand corrected. I'll spot you Chuck Norris and Toby Keith.

OU4LIFE
8/15/2007, 09:04 AM
DUDE, James Garner.

srsly

Taxman71
8/15/2007, 10:34 AM
Garth is from Yukon.;)

King Crimson
8/15/2007, 10:39 AM
this is the same report we had last year, ain't it. NTTAWWT. :D

i still vote Woody Guthrie.

SoonerJack
8/15/2007, 10:46 AM
I wish i could have met Will Rogers. And if he's not on the Oklahoma quarter, I ain't usin' it.

yermom
8/15/2007, 10:51 AM

i totally missed that last year

1stTimeCaller
8/15/2007, 11:24 AM
My grandmom's dad was a business partner with F.C. Hall, the guy that bankrolled the Winnie Mae. They split their business venture when FC wanted to move to Dallas(or maybe Houston) and my great granddad decided to stay in Chickasha. Mr. Hall was always worried that someone would kidnap his daughter whereas according to my grandmom, 'my great-granddad never figured anyone would want his three'.

mdklatt
8/15/2007, 11:38 AM
Is it bad luck to name airports after people that died in plane crashes?

1stTimeCaller
8/15/2007, 11:46 AM
I like the cemetary you drive by right next to the WRWA in OKC.

yermom
8/15/2007, 11:56 AM
Is it bad luck to name airports after people that died in plane crashes?

apparently not :D

King Crimson
8/15/2007, 11:57 AM
apparently not :D

not yet, yeah.

TUSooner
8/15/2007, 01:13 PM
Wiley lost his eye in an oilfield accident and used the compensation money to buy his first airplane. True.
The Norse god Odin (Wotan) sacrificed his eye in order to drink from the fountain of the Wisdom of the Ages. In exchange for his eye, Post flew.

TUSooner
8/15/2007, 01:14 PM
BTW, you'll get no argument from me about Will being the Greatest Okie EVER. He puts even the best of the rest in the shadows.

OSUAggie
8/15/2007, 01:16 PM
Big b-day party on the memorial lawn today, plus all the hotties are movin' into RSU. :rolleyes: I'm gettin' ****ed up for lunch.

TMcGee86
8/15/2007, 02:08 PM
Wiley lost his eye in an oilfield accident and used the compensation money to buy his first airplane. True.
The Norse god Odin (Wotan) sacrificed his eye in order to drink from the fountain of the Wisdom of the Ages. In exchange for his eye, Post flew.

Little known fact, the Norse god Odin is the namesake for Wednesday.

It was Oden's day, which became Woden's day, which now is Wednesday.

SoonerStormchaser
8/15/2007, 02:29 PM
Please note: a certain baby AF officer asked yesterday to post the dailly GM installment this morning. I told him "roger", but be sure to do so before 0600CDT because if he didn't, I had to do it anyway because we don't want regular GM service interrupted for our subscribers. See, we ain't like the Post Office cuz this baby hits your driveway every morning, rain, sleet or shine. Anyhoo, 0600 came and went. Flippin' whippersnapper butter-bars. Maybe he stayed out late cruising San Antonio nursing homes for chicks?

Sorry sir, my wife called me at 5 am and I had to take care of her via telephone. Long distance marriages suck.

Can I have a mulligan on Sept. 9th?

Okla-homey
8/15/2007, 03:05 PM
Sorry sir, my wife called me at 5 am and I had to take care of her via telephone. Long distance marriages suck.

Can I have a mulligan on Sept. 9th?

No. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twicet, shame on me.

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2007, 03:10 PM
is it against some law to have TWO good morning threads?

i mean really....

ssc - just do your thread, you dont need permission

yermom
8/15/2007, 03:29 PM
i think it's in the bylaws of the Insanely Early Coffee Club

reevie
8/15/2007, 05:55 PM
My dad is from Maysville, so he knew some of the Posts.

That's all I got....

Frozen Sooner
8/15/2007, 05:59 PM
One of these days I'm going to have to head up to Barrow. But no time soon.

soonerboomer93
8/15/2007, 06:11 PM
Maybe he stayed out late cruising San Antonio nursing homes for chicks?

Overall, good post

that line, absolute greatness :D

SoonerStormchaser
8/15/2007, 07:08 PM
Yah yah yah...you guys are just jealous that your wife isn't as hawt as mine ;)

jk the sooner fan
8/15/2007, 07:29 PM
that must be it

SoonerStormchaser
8/15/2007, 08:39 PM
Seriously though, as much abuse as I take here and from my guys in class for it...if being married to an older woman is the worst I can get razzed for, then I'm doing ok.

Frozen Sooner
8/15/2007, 10:04 PM
Yah yah yah...you guys are just jealous that your wife isn't as close to qualifying for AARP discounts as mine.

I guess...

Okla-homey
8/16/2007, 05:30 AM
Seriously though, as much abuse as I take here and from my guys in class for it...if being married to an older woman is the worst I can get razzed for, then I'm doing ok.

Ahem. My young friend, you aren't married to an older woman. You're married to an old lady. There's a difference. ;)

That part was a joke. This next part isn't. It's solid.

My spouse never once in 23 years called me at 0500L while I was deployed, TDY, etc. She certainly did call occasionally, but not at the butt-crack of dawn. Military spouses who can hang for the long haul are the ones who can manage to avoid drama while enduring duty-related separations. That is the main reason we say the job of "Air Force Wife" is the "toughest job in the Air Force." It's not going to get any easier after you graduate and are deployed who-knows-where, or even doing an unaccompanied overseas PCS tour. You haven't asked, but I'm telling anyway, because I've seen too many young officers' careers hurt because they were hooked-up with Nervous Nellie's or Helpless Hannah's who had a crisis-de-jour with which the poor guy had to repeatedly contend.

Bottomline: You must be able to keep your head in the game and undistracted with spousely drama to lead and succeed in the USAF. You are married. That was your choice. But you also chose to take on Big Blue and she is a jealous mistress who won't take a back seat when you are committed to a course of expensive and important professional training, except of course during isolated bona-fide family emergencies/tragedies.

Jimminy Crimson
8/16/2007, 11:15 AM
It's off Lincoln, not Classen...

SoonerStormchaser
8/16/2007, 05:52 PM
I know Homey...but this one really needed my attention. Besides, she has my permission to wake me up anytime she needs me (except when I'm on crew rest). And you're damned right about the military spouses being one of the most underappreciated, toughest jobs out there...and I let my wife know how much I appreciate her every day.

Keeping my head in the game surprisingly hasn't been a problem for me, and I carry my heart on my sleeve. Two weeks ago, while she was undergoing an ultrasound, I was in a T-43 at FL290 over southeast New Mexico...and I was barely even thinking about what she was going through...I was so concentrated on what I had to do for that mission, it almost scared me because it was as if I had become like an automaton the moment I set foot in the jet.

Okla-homey
8/16/2007, 07:27 PM
I know Homey...but this one really needed my attention. Besides, she has my permission to wake me up anytime she needs me (except when I'm on crew rest). And you're damned right about the military spouses being one of the most underappreciated, toughest jobs out there...and I let my wife know how much I appreciate her every day.

Keeping my head in the game surprisingly hasn't been a problem for me, and I carry my heart on my sleeve. Two weeks ago, while she was undergoing an ultrasound, I was in a T-43 at FL290 over southeast New Mexico...and I was barely even thinking about what she was going through...I was so concentrated on what I had to do for that mission, it almost scared me because it was as if I had become like an automaton the moment I set foot in the jet.

ultrasound, ultraschmound. I flew a mission the night my daughter was born. Didn't even think about trying to be taken off the flying schedule because my wife was three days past her due date. I got a message thru Minneapolis Center (after we climbed out from our night TA mission thru the badlands of ND) that the esposita had reported to the hospital and was about to pickle.

Therefore, being done with AR and bomb runs, we got cleared INS direct back to KBYH. Once in UHF range of the home drome, the command post patched me thru to the OB ward and the wife's nurse told me I had at least four more hours. Woo-hoo, plenty of time for crashes and dashes! So, after about an hour in the pattern, we full stopped and a buddy of mine met the jet to pick me up at the hammerhead and take me to the base hospital while another buddy ran the post-flight.

That was around 0200. My Blonde Daughter arrived around 0430. I made it with two and a half hours to spare.

But that's nothing. Literally hundreds of thousands of women have endured pregnancies since 9/11/01 and yes, delivered children with Daddy in Indian Country.

Like I said. My advice is to nix the BS o-dark-thirty phone calls. Tell her to buck up because you have very important job to do. Namely, learning how to bomb the crap out of jihaadist bastages without killing your crew or any good guys on the ground. Right now, that should be number one in your life. The responsibility of wielding incredible deadly force in your country's service must take priority. If it isn't, you've chosen the wrong gig. Go sell shoes or something.

Thus Endeth The Lesson.

SoonerStormchaser
8/16/2007, 07:32 PM
Yes sir!