PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Robert Smith: OU out of TOP25

SoonerBOI
8/14/2007, 06:01 PM
In yesterday's edition of CFB Live. Robert Smith said:"In the end I believe OU will be out of the top25. Question regarding the QB situation and defense will persist."

ESPN is a breeding ground for OU haters. In fairness, Mark May was SHOCKED with Smith's assessment.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/2563/smithfg5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

King Crimson
8/14/2007, 06:03 PM
ESPN ratings must be dropping in OK and Northern TExas.

The Maestro
8/14/2007, 06:08 PM
Isn't Ohio State in ESPN's top 10? Smith might want to reconsider his beloved alma mater...who is replacing a starting quarterback, tailback and top two receivers.

IronSooner
8/14/2007, 06:51 PM
I wish I got paid to talk about my *** about teams I don't pay attention to. Wow.

stoopified
8/14/2007, 07:04 PM
Mr. Smith,put down the crackpipe and step away.

tanjou
8/14/2007, 07:19 PM
They get paid to have wacky opinions. Why would anyone watch if commentators were calm and rational in their decisions?

oumartin
8/14/2007, 07:20 PM
guess if you played football in the NFL or if you have been fired for being a **** poor coach you are classified as an Expert per ESPN

SoonerStormchaser
8/14/2007, 07:55 PM
What does Robert Smith know about football?
http://www.gearbox.com/assets/clients/southpark250.jpg

bosworthsteroidmafia
8/14/2007, 07:56 PM
He's just ****ed because AD is going to erase any mention of his name in the Viking record books.

bluedogok
8/14/2007, 08:16 PM
I guess quitting the NFL in the prime of his career to go to medical school didn't work out too well for him.

goingoneight
8/14/2007, 08:45 PM
Isn't Ohio State in ESPN's top 10? Smith might want to reconsider his beloved alma mater...who is replacing a starting quarterback, tailback and top two receivers.

... and whose defense got owned by Michigan and Florida? Yeah, I'd count on Ohio State going 6-6 or worse before I'd count Stoops out. Only one year has OU not been ranked by season's end under Stoops. The team surrounding the n00b QB is good enough to take another BIG 12 crown, so what... does that mean we go 0-fer in the OOC with a bowl loss? Don't think so, Mr. Smith. You may go home and continue to pretend people are dumb enough to believe you.

goingoneight
8/14/2007, 08:47 PM
They get paid to have wacky opinions. Why would anyone watch if commentators were calm and rational in their decisions?

I'll take... "People don't live for CFB all hours of the day and would like a fair assessment in August" for $300.

He must be reading OrangePower.com; he's definitely fried.

swardboy
8/14/2007, 08:52 PM
I thought he was responding to the question "which pre-season top ten team was most likely to get knocked out of the top ten first?" ....not top 25.

Still, he's an *** clown.

SoonerBOI
8/14/2007, 09:19 PM
I thought he was responding to the question "which pre-season top ten team was most likely to get knocked out of the top ten first?" ....not top 25.

Rece Davis asked that clown, what pre-season top 10 team will fall-out of the top 25 he (smith the clown) said OU. Just to many issues at QB, DE and LB. Smith is a farce.

goingoneight
8/14/2007, 09:26 PM
Why is DE and LB such a big question? All of the guys who will play this year were a HUGE part in OUr BIG 12 Title run last year. Just because they weren't seniors last year doesn't mean they weren't in the thick of the rotation. That's like all the stupid agroids saying we'll lose five to six games because AD is gone. Hello? Allen Patrick? Same situation. Just that none of OUr starters on D last year were injured.

Easting
8/14/2007, 09:26 PM
Just when you thought crackheads were taking over ESPN, along come the meth heads. Mark May sticking up for the Sooners?

I'm going to church....

oumartin
8/14/2007, 09:28 PM
Well since Robert Smith said it, it must be true.. we are doomed

Suerreal
8/14/2007, 09:37 PM
In yesterday's edition of CFB Live. Robert Smith said:"In the end I believe OU will be out of the top25. Question regarding the QB situation and defense will persist."

ESPN is a breeding ground for OU haters. In fairness, Mark May was SHOCKED with Smith's assessment.

Who was that black dude and what did they do with the real Mark May? ;)

- Sue

goingoneight
8/14/2007, 09:47 PM
Mark May: "You're crazy, Robert. Oklahoma will be out of the top 60 after they go 0-4 in non-conference play. The BIG 12 will stink because of their very presence, Stoops will be fired, and Pete Carroll will break the 47-game winning-streak this season."

Jello Biafra
8/14/2007, 10:54 PM

heh.....ironically, he sucks as a runningback too.......

soonerspudman
8/14/2007, 11:01 PM
The Big 12 is a small-market conference. ESPN is all about pimping the big-market conferences and teams to jack up their ratings. To make the Big East look better, you've got to start by knocking down their competition for the nation's mind share, and that starts with the Big 12. They drool on themselves whenever WV, VT, Louisville (they love to call them "The 'Ville" now), and, God help us, Rutgers comes up and why these teams curiously end up about 5-10 spots higher in the ESPN "expert" polls. BTW, have you checked these guy's non-conference schedules this year? It's enough to make Bill Snyder blush. Think the ESPN goons will call this out like they loved to do for K-State? Don't hold your breath.

Just think of it this way, ESPN represents the big markets as their "home" teams, just like your local paper supports the home team. Only makes sense, that's where 80% of their viewers reside. That leaves conferences like the Big 12 as the "visitors" from some vast hinterland. ESPN plays to the money, fairness and objectivity be damned.

goingoneight
8/15/2007, 12:39 AM
ESPN gets my viewing only when the Sooners are on... in sports that I pay attention to. If ESPN wants to flatter themselves about my watching them, they can know that I don't care what their "experts" think, I'm sick of their hype, and even moreso of their childish cheap shots at OU all the time. Some of their "experts" were failures as players, coaches, and never even graduated their "alma maters..." so no one should really take their "experts seriously."
Of all the talking heads out there, there is maybe one or two announcers I like. ABC owned ESPN when it came to college ball, and they stupidly gave their rights to the game up. FWIW, TV college ball will not be the same unless they take back over.

KantoSooner
8/15/2007, 01:42 AM
For those of us old enough to remember the era of Switzerland, this has a familiar and welcome ring.
Let the sporting press dump on OU. It just makes it sweeter to watch the Sooners go out and b*tch slap their little poodle teams. Week after week after week. Like a dam gong tolling for their careers.

Seamus
8/15/2007, 04:12 AM
Louisville (they love to call them "The 'Ville" now)

They've been called The Ville since the days of Darrell Griffith (Dr. Dunkenstein), i.e. 1980.

TexasLidig8r
8/15/2007, 09:21 AM
. . . I'm sick of their hype, and even moreso of their childish cheap shots at OU all the time. . .

Ok.. so where were you.. what was it. .four years ago, when ESPN was declaring OU the best team in the history of God.. that that OU team could beat some of the teams in the NFL and that it would have an easy time on the way to the national championship... and then... along came K-State.

:confused:

JohnnyMack
8/15/2007, 09:27 AM
Ok.. so where were you.. what was it. .four years ago, when ESPN was declaring OU the best team in the history of God.. that that OU team could beat some of the teams in the NFL and that it would have an easy time on the way to the national championship... and then... along came K-State.

:confused:

Go sit in the Emergency Room and hand out business cards.

Shyster.

trey
8/15/2007, 09:31 AM
waaaa! espn hates us! waaaaa! espn hates us! don't you babies think this is getting old?

JohnnyMack
8/15/2007, 09:32 AM
waaaa! espn hates us! waaaaa! espn hates us! don't you babies think this is getting old?

Has your mother ever told you she wish she swallowed you instead?

XingTheRubicon
8/15/2007, 09:33 AM
He was still wheezing from non-stop chortling over 65-13, and as far as ESPN bias, I just don't see it. It's not that big of a stretch that any team with a ZERO CFB snap starting QB could take a dive. Texas came within an a**hair of doing it last year.

douxpaysan
8/15/2007, 09:42 AM
For those of us old enough to remember the era of Switzerland, this has a familiar and welcome ring.
Let the sporting press dump on OU. It just makes it sweeter to watch the Sooners go out and b*tch slap their little poodle teams. Week after week after week. Like a dam gong tolling for their careers.
Do gongs toll? or dams gong?...you've been tooling on your bong.

Tear Down This Wall
8/15/2007, 09:50 AM
Why is DE and LB such a big question? All of the guys who will play this year were a HUGE part in OUr BIG 12 Title run last year. .

John Williams and Alonzo Dotson played a "HUGE part" last year? When? Where? On the scout team? Going hard in practice against the second teamers?

Look, Robert Smith is obviously a taco short of a blue plate special when it comes to his analysis of us. But, DE is thin in any experience and LB is thin on starting experience.

We'll be fine at LB because Venables is coaching them. DE isn't so clear. Their coach is coaching the secondary. Chris Wilson really needs to step it up a notch. The pressure from our DEs last year was spotty at best compared to when BJW coached them...and he had three seniors for crying out loud! It's time for him to coach or leave.

OSUAggie
8/15/2007, 09:53 AM
For the record, Smith was asked who, of the current top ten, might finish outside of the top ten at season's end, not the top 25.

SoonerBOI
8/15/2007, 09:59 AM
For the record, Smith was asked who, of the current top ten, might finish outside of the top ten at season's end, not the top 25.

Re: ESPN Robert Smith: OU out of TOP25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by swardboy

Rece Davis asked that clown, what pre-season top 10 team will fall-out of the top 25 he (smith the clown) said OU. Just to many issues at QB, DE and LB. Smith is a farce.

OSUAggie
8/15/2007, 10:02 AM
Yah, I read that statement... and watched the show...

RedstickSooner
8/15/2007, 10:18 AM
Breaking briefly away from Robert (Who the Fudge is this guy I'd never heard of or seen before he showed up behind the desk on College Football Live?) Smith for a moment, I've found CF Live to be waaaaaaay less interesting than I expected it to be.

I consider myself a college fan first, and an NFL fan distant second -- yet I watch, and enjoy, every single episode of NFL live. (Well, aside from a few last year that covered nothing but Terrel Owens. That crud got old.)

Is it simply the new-show breaking in period? Does NFL live have higher production values? Or is it that the body of information being covered is simply too scattered with college football -- while the more compact nature of the NFL gives it a more satisfying narrative?

Anyhow, I was surprised to be so uninterested in their college football version. And I do suggest to anyone who wants analyst opinion to mirror their own... Don't be an OU fan. As a big-time program, we'll always be over-hyped, or under-hyped. Like folks have said, there's just no audience in being level-headed towards us.

King Crimson
8/15/2007, 10:22 AM
Chris Wilson really needs to step it up a notch. The pressure from our DEs last year was spotty at best compared to when BJW coached them...and he had three seniors for crying out loud! It's time for him to coach or leave.

FWIW, my buddies who are Buffs were never real high on Chris Wilson. i always defended him as a Sooner.....but, when he was coaching for Barney many thought the DL underperformed as a unit.

stoopified
8/15/2007, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=Tear Down This Wall]John Williams and Alonzo Dotson played a "HUGE part" last year? When? Where? On the scout team? Going hard in practice against the second teamers?

In all fairnes while saying they were a HUGE part of our sucess
may be oversell ,they were integral especially Dotson.The last 4 games or so Dotson was in at several key times and made plays we desperately needed.I'm thinking in particular against oSu.

Taxman71
8/15/2007, 10:27 AM
Is this the same guy filling in on Mike & Mike in the morning? If so, I want to know whose pictures he has to get that gig. He is absolutely horrible. Oh yeah, he thinks Bonds is a HOF, but McGwire and Sosa aren't.

Tear Down This Wall
8/15/2007, 10:51 AM
Yes, I think it was an "oversell" to be sure.

91 Alonzo Dotson
Class: Senior

Hometown: Alief, Texas

High School: Hastings HS

Height / Weight: 6-4 / 262

Position: DE

Year G-GS UT AT Total Loss Sacks INT FC FR PBU
2005 0-0 - - - 0-0 0-0 0-0 - 0-0 -
2006 11-0 7 2 9 2-19 2-19 0-0 - 0-0 -
Total 11-0 7 2 9 2-19 2-19 0-0 - 0-0 -

2006 - Positioned himself for a big senior year with several outstanding plays ... five of his eight tackles came over the last four games of the season, including three at Baylor ... posted both of his sacks at Baylor, including one that resutled in a safety.

2005 - Sat out the season.

2004 - Played in a backup role.

2003 - Redshirted.

98 John Williams
Class: Senior

Hometown: Houston, Texas

High School: Lamar HS

Height / Weight: 6-5 / 249

Position: DE

Year G-GS UT AT Total Loss Sacks INT FC FR PBU
2005 1-0 3 1 4 1-10 1-10 0-0 - 1-0 -
2006 9-0 6 2 8 1-10 1-10 0-0 - 1-0 -
Total 10-0 9 3 12 1-10 1-10 0-0 - 1-0 -

2006 - Played in eight games in his first season off knee surgery ... season-high two tackles against Texas.

2005 - Appeared to be primed for a big season, then suffered a torn ACL in the opener against TCU and was lost for the season ... had four tackles, a sack and a fumble recovery before suffering the injury ... one of two defensive ends, the other being Larry Birdine, who was projected for significant playing time only to be lost to injury.

2004 - Reserve defensive end.

2003 - Redshirted.

SoonerBOI
8/15/2007, 11:32 AM
Yah, I read that statement... and watched the show...
So I think you got it wrong. I watched it too. hope you saw the ticker beneath before Rece asked the question.

picasso
8/15/2007, 11:37 AM
"The OU offense suffered heavy losses, no way they replace Smith, Griffin and those wideouts."

sincerely,

OU naysayers, August '03

Crimsontothecore
8/15/2007, 11:43 AM
The only time I would care what those ESPN guys think would be if they were standing on the sidelines tripping out RB's or calling plays.

OSUAggie
8/15/2007, 11:43 AM
Breaking briefly away from Robert (Who the Fudge is this guy I'd never heard of or seen before he showed up behind the desk on College Football Live?) Smith for a moment, I've found CF Live to be waaaaaaay less interesting than I expected it to be.

I consider myself a college fan first, and an NFL fan distant second -- yet I watch, and enjoy, every single episode of NFL live. (Well, aside from a few last year that covered nothing but Terrel Owens. That crud got old.)

Is it simply the new-show breaking in period? Does NFL live have higher production values? Or is it that the body of information being covered is simply too scattered with college football -- while the more compact nature of the NFL gives it a more satisfying narrative?

Anyhow, I was surprised to be so uninterested in their college football version. And I do suggest to anyone who wants analyst opinion to mirror their own... Don't be an OU fan. As a big-time program, we'll always be over-hyped, or under-hyped. Like folks have said, there's just no audience in being level-headed towards us.

I think that's hitting the nail on the head.

And Robert Smith was a pretty decent back for the Buckeyes, then played for the Vikes for a bit.

Is this the same guy filling in on Mike & Mike in the morning? If so, I want to know whose pictures he has to get that gig. He is absolutely horrible. Oh yeah, he thinks Bonds is a HOF, but McGwire and Sosa aren't.

That was Michael Smith this morning. Boston Globe, ESPN, Around the Horn, etc.

The Maestro
8/15/2007, 12:17 PM
Hell, no big deal to me. The only problem I ever have is when they are dead wrong they RARELY come back and admit it. It's okay to make predictions that are wrong...everyone does...but just admit it and don't act so high and mighty when you blow it. At least it is college football discussions and not Barry Bonds/Tim Donaghy/Michael Vick crap.

Taxman71
8/15/2007, 12:20 PM
That was Michael Smith this morning. Boston Globe, ESPN, Around the Horn, etc.

Thanks. That guy is a complete waste of oxygen. Even Mike Greenberg was nearly silent due to the lack of logic Smith was spewing.

OSUAggie
8/15/2007, 01:18 PM
I always thought he was decent on Around the Horn, but now that he's getting more airtime his substance is definitely lacking. He's kind of moving up in the world of NFL reporters on the ESPN, for whatever reason. I guess he's NOW, or something.

Collier11
8/15/2007, 01:20 PM
If he would have said questions about the qb, lb's, and d-line force me to think Ou will finish out of the top 10 he could have at least been believable, but to say we will be out of the Top 25 gives him no credibility!!!