PDA

View Full Version : Things I am curious to see playout

SoonerFah
8/13/2007, 07:02 PM
1. Quarterback... Bet you'd have never guessed that. I will say this. I'll be happy with whomever gets that starting nod. They all seem like good guys, who genuinely care about this team, and want to win! I can honestly say I'd be excited with any of the 3. Halzle seems like a nice guy, who has been through a lot to get here. He may not have all of the tangibles of the others, but he's obviously a stong-willed tough kid. And we can never have too many of those on the team. Bradford is a local guy, and he's probably been the fan favorite ever since spring. He also appeared to outplay the others by a little bit in my opinion. Nichol would be a nice dual threat, and probably has the best upside long-term of the 3 competitors.

2. Defensive Ends... Will John Williams live up to the glimpse we all saw against TCU a couple of years ago? Or will he step aside for Jeremy Beal, and Auston English? Will Alonzo Dotson be as good as he showed at moments last year? These guys will all be counted on I'm sure. Hopefully they can provide good pressure from the start.

3. Offensive Line... I know everyone is high on these guys, and I feel better about them than I have in the past 2 years. However, I want to see them dominate a game, when we need them to. I blame them most for the Boise State game. That is where we should have been able to control the game, but failed to. I know they are big, but can they be GREAT?

Feel free to add your thoughts/list.

David Earl
8/13/2007, 07:41 PM
1. I still think it's Sam's job right now.

2. Good question. I'm guessing English will become a force before season end.

3. We're thin, but we're getting better.

4. My next one on the list would be LB. Who will wind up getting the starting job at the three positions? Will RR be recovered enough to be a major force?

SoonerFah
8/13/2007, 07:52 PM
You make a good point about the linebackers. The good news is that we aren't lacking in talent here, but perhaps some experience. BV definitely has to get these guys up to speed in a hurry. I feel like this could be an area of concern against Miami.

David Earl
8/13/2007, 08:01 PM
I'm curious if big Mike will be able to get in good enough shape and learn the D well enough to contribute. Lofton looks to lead for the job right now, but I'd like to see Reed step up so Lofton can move if need be.

sooneron
8/13/2007, 08:39 PM
I'm curious if big Mike will be able to get in good enough shape and learn the D well enough to contribute. Lofton looks to lead for the job right now, but I'd like to see Reed step up so Lofton can move if need be.
Ditto.

I am pretty high on the OL and I think they can have 4 very solid contributors on the field (solid meaning all conf 1st - 3rd team)- the fifth being serviceable. Of course, that fifth had better not be the left tackle.:texan:

BornandBred
8/13/2007, 09:25 PM
The O line has the potential to be great. I think by the RRS they'll be the best in the country. I'm curious about the linebackers as well, but we always seem to produce solid players, so I'll bet we're just fine there. Honestly, what I'm a little concerned about, and haven't heard anyone else question, is the D-backs. I know on paper they're phenomenal, and I'd trust Reggie to cover just about anybody, but all the shuffling makes me nervous. We've had great ones in the past that were susceptible to the deep ball. Somebody tell me I'm worried for nothing.

Another thing I’d like to see play out this year is the battle for running back. We have SUCH talent there. I think AP could be great if he stayed healthy all year. Gute always seems to surprise me. Brown is a beast. Murray, well, lets just say he aint slow. And Madu is showing shiftiness and versatility that will get time game time. I’m interested to see how they’ll work all these guys in.

goingoneight
8/13/2007, 09:29 PM
Defense... dominate from day one, finish, repeat if necessary.

Harry Beanbag
8/14/2007, 06:37 AM
I've been reading that English is the #1 DE on the team right now and Dotson is the starter on the other side.

MojoRisen
8/14/2007, 09:37 AM
Alan Davis - had 3 sacks in Saturdays Scrimmage - he is a name forgotten.

Also I would like to see Mike Reed in the mix - he is a play maker can really play.

Looks like Baker Lofton Rynolds though - with Pleasant backing up Baker - Reed backing up Lofton - not sure who would back up Rynolds - but probably Lofton and move Reed to middle.

Edmond Sooner
8/14/2007, 11:18 AM
All excellent questions, similar to things I've wondered about, too. I think I'll be most curious to see how the Defense works out in the first game. Not long till first kickoff, and I can't wait!

OU4LIFE
8/14/2007, 11:55 AM
I'm curious to see how our return game pans out.

With the new rule changes, there will be a lot more returns and less touchbacks, a good return game could be huge.

Of course, if our defense steps up, we shouldn't have too many opportunities for returns...