PDA

View Full Version : Different Look from SI: Top True Freshmen

SoonerBOI
8/13/2007, 04:38 PM
Another article to kill our boredom. Nichol is mentioned here but DM is not, I wonder why?

CNNSI
For two of last year's most high-profile freshmen, the season ended with confetti raining down inside the domed University of Phoenix Stadium, as the electric playmaker and change-of-pace quarterback were crowned national champions.

There was no denying the impact Percy Harvin and Tim Tebow made in Florida's march to a title as role players who brought flash to coach Urban Meyer's offense. A number of other first-year guys made quite an impact on the national landscape, such as Clemson's all-purpose speedster C.J. Spiller, Alabama's hulking left tackle Andre Smith and USC's ball-hawking free safety Taylor Mays.

The bar has been set high, so who will headline this year's crop of true freshmen? Here's a look at the rookies who are most likely to make an immediate impact.

Arrelious Benn, WR, Illinois
High School: Dunbar (Washington, D.C.)

No player has already made the all-around impact Benn has at Illinois. The five-star recruit's surprise commitment gave a jolt to a team that hasn't been to a bowl since 2001 and to an offense in need of a true top-flight receiver.

"I think when you look at a guy that has his size and has his speed and then the athleticism and the power that he possesses, it really creates some matchup problems," Fighting Illini offensive coordinator Mike Locksley said.

During spring practice, the early enrollee solidified himself as Illinois' No. 1 wideout, developing instant on-field chemistry with quarterback Juice Williams. The duo connected five times in the spring game for 145 yards and a TD.

"Last year we led the Big Ten in rushing, and now, to create a little more balance offensively, you've got to upgrade the passing attack," Locksley said. "When you bring in a freshman that's 6-2, 220-pounds, that's a 4.4/4.3 guy, that's explosive and has tremendous abilities, that in itself lends to your offense."

Eric Berry, CB, Tennessee
High School: Fairburn (Ga.) Creekside

Volunteers fans can expect to see a lot of the nation's top-ranked prep cornerback this season -- a whole lot.

Along with competing for playing time in a secondary that returns just one starter, coaches are working to get the 5-foot-11, 194-pounder, who rushed for more than 1,500 yards and threw for over 1,000 yards as a senior, involved on both sides of the ball.

"We intend on doing that in the return game, punt return or whatever," Volunteers defensive coordinator John Chavis said. "Then the offense will take him, and obviously it would be in a limited role, where he can get the ball in his hands."

But job No. 1 for Berry is in the defensive backfield, where he's competing with junior-college transfers Antonio Graves and Marsalous Johnson for one of the starting corner spots.

"We finished the spring practice with two guys that we feel quite comfortable with, but we're going to play the best guy," Chavis said. "It's open competition. Those guys know if they want to keep their jobs they have to be better than him."

Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
High School: Westlake Village (Calif.) Oaks Christian

Easily the most-hyped recruit to don a Notre Dame uniform since Ron Powlus (I'll leave it up to you to decide if that's a good thing), Clausen has Irish fans clamoring to see "The Kid With The Golden Arm" immediately.

Rivals.com's top-rated prospect threw for 10,677 yards in his high school career and enrolled early at Notre Dame to get a leg up in the competition with Demetrius Jones and Evan Sharpley to succeed four-year starter Brady Quinn. Coach Charlie Weis has said he doesn't plan on naming a starter before ND's season opener and the Irish players are also dancing around the issue.

"[Clausen's] a talented player, there's no doubt about it, but we have three guys competing for the spot and they're all capable," senior tight end John Carlson said. "It's really nice to have three different options and in those options have three guys that can play and do a good job at it."

Coaches say Clausen is healthy despite rumors he is experiencing elbow trouble and could redshirt. He may not start Sept. 1 against Georgia Tech, but it's likely he'll follow the lead of Quinn, who started as a true freshman. Can he live up to the off-the-chart hype?

Torrey Davis, DL, Florida

USC running back Joe McKnight has already created a major buzz around practice.

High School: Seffner (Fla.) Armwood

The Gators defensive line returns just one starter and coach Urban Meyer will look to the unit's six recruits to help rebuild the most dominant force in last year's run to the national title.

Chief among those freshmen is the quick-footed 6-6, 290-pound Davis, a U.S. Army All-American. Rivals.com ranked him as the Sunshine State's top recruit after he recorded 72 tackles and 16 sacks as a senior. He's already getting significant reps all over the defensive line, but he'll likely make his biggest impact at tackle, with Florida trying to take pressure off ends Derrick Harvey and Jermaine Cunningham.

Noel Devine, RB, West Virginia
High School: North Fort Myers (Fla.)

Devine's turbulent path to Morgantown has been well publicized. Now it's time to see the stuff of YouTube legend in action.

The West Virginia backfield already includes two Heisman candidates in Steve Slaton and Pat White. Adding the electric Devine (who will be used in the backfield, as a slot receiver and on kick returns) gives opposing defensive coordinators an additional freakish athlete to worry about.

At 5-6, 175 pounds, Devine's size and durability have been a question mark. But his high school coach, James Iandoli, is confident the player who ran for 2,148 yards and 31 touchdowns as a senior can make a seamless transition into the college game.

"I thought that when he stepped off the Pop Warner field onto the high school field: 'How's he going to adjust to let alone high school but varsity level as a freshman?'" Iandoli said. "By Week 3 he was ready to take a Division-I starting tailback's job. I know it's the next level and stuff, but I'm pretty optimistic to be honest with you."

Ronald Johnson, WR, USC
High School: Muskegon (Mich.)

Offense. Defense. Special teams. "RoJo," as they're calling him in Troy, can do it all. In one game during his senior season he touched the ball four times, totaling 310 yards and four touchdowns. He was Rivals.com's top-ranked wide receiver, and that's the where he will probably make the biggest immediate impact.

The Trojans have gaping holes at receiver with the departures of Dwayne Jarrett and Steve Smith. Junior Patrick Turner is the most experienced returner at the position. The 6-foot, 177-pound Johnson, who spurned his home-state Wolverines to join USC, will get every opportunity to help fill the void.

"He's a little bit new to the position ... so there's a lot of things that are new to him, but you see a lot of natural ability in him," USC offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian said. "He's got exceptional hands, very good speed, has a good feel for the game."

RoJo and his blazing 4.4 40-speed are also getting a look on punt returns.

Willy Korn, QB, Clemson
High School: Duncan (S.C.) Byrnes

Much like Clausen's situation in South Bend, Korn was an early enrollee and is vying for playing time on a team that will be using a first-year starter. The only difference is Clemson's staff is already saying the team's most decorated quarterback recruit since Steve Fuller in the 1970s won't be taking the first snap when the Tigers open the season against Florida State on Labor Day -- but that doesn't mean it will stay that way.

Junior Cullen Harper entered fall camp as the Tigers' No. 1 quarterback, but Korn -- a Parade All-American who threw for 3,485 yards and 39 touchdowns as a senior -- advanced quickly up the QB chain during the spring, going from fourth-string to backup in just 15 practices.

Offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Rob Spence has said publicly that there's a discernable gap between the two signal-callers, but if Harper falters in his first season as the starter, it will be time for the fan-favorite, Korn.

Joe McKnight, RB, USC
High School: River Ridge (La.) John Curtis

Trojans quarterback John David Booty has seen enough of McKnight to hand the nation's top-ranked running back a couple of lofty compliments.

"It's almost like he has the speed of Reggie , but the hands of Steve Smith, if you believe that," Booty told the Orange County Register. "It is kind of like that in a way. It's really special."

While the Trojans have a crowded backfield with 10 running backs on the roster, the shifty jack-of-all-trades will assuredly touch the ball. As a senior in high school, he had 709 yards and 14 TDs rushing, 735 yards and 13 TDs receiving, three punt return TDs and averaged 34.6 yards per kickoff return.

McKnight won't likely beat out senior Chauncey Washington or sophomores C.J. Gable and Emmanuel Moody, but Sarkisian raves about the Louisiana native's skill set.

"I think the thing that you'd like out of a running back is that versatility, the ability to do more than one thing, and Joe's been able to do three and four types of things out of that position, which is very critical if you want to be an every-down back," he said.

[B]Keith Nichol, QB, Oklahoma
High School: Lowell (Mich.)

A true freshman has never opened the season as the Sooners starting quarterback, but this two-time Michigan player of the year has a shot to become the first.

Nichol is battling with junior Joey Halzle and redshirt freshman Sam Bradford, who have a total of two mop-up appearances and two pass attempts between them. Offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson has hinted the position may not be settled until after the season starts.

What sets Nichol apart is an extremely strong arm and a dual-threat ability. As a senior, he threw for 2,235 yards and 31 touchdowns and rushed for 1,075 yards and 19 scores. Even if the early enrollee doesn't start in the season opener against North Texas, it's likely he won't stay on the sideline for long.
Trinton Sturdivant, OT, Georgia
High School: Wadesboro (N.C.) Anson

Sturdivant will have quarterback Matthew Stafford's back -- literally. The hulking 6-4, 280-pounder arrived on campus early to participate in spring practice and shot up the depth chart at left tackle.

"I think all freshmen, in the back of their mind, want to be the starter," Sturdivant told the Chattanooga Times Free Press. "It was fortunate for me that it happened. I worked hard. I'm still working hard, and hopefully I'll be the starter by the first game."

If he does, he'll be the first true freshman to start Georgia's season opener since Kedric Golston did it at defensive tackle in '02. The four-star prospect will be part of a completely revamped Bulldogs line that will feature a new starter at each position.

Five More to Watch
Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina: Austin, Rivals.com's top-rated defensive tackle, will make an instant impact on a defense that was last in the ACC against the run last season. The 6-2, 291-pounder had 85 tackles and 17 sacks as a senior.

Omar Bolden, CB, Arizona State: If he gains approval from the NCAA's freshman-eligibility clearinghouse, the four-star prospect who turned down USC should claim the second starting corner spot alongside Justin Tryon.

Mike Paulus, QB, North Carolina: Mike -- the younger brother of Duke point guard Greg Pualus -- is a four-star prospect who threw for 52 touchdowns as a senior. If he doesn't redshirt, Paulus could be the starter by midseason.

Deonte Thompson, WR, Florida: Fans and teammates have been bubbling over about Thompson's playmaking ability, going as far as to call him a Percy Harvin-like talent. There's little doubt Meyer will find a way to get him involved in the offense.

Donovan Warren, CB, Michigan: The Wolverines secondary has a major hole to fill with the loss of All-America CB Leon Hall to the NFL. This five-star recruit has the size (a lanky 6-feet, 175-pounds) and speed (4.4) to start alongside Morgan Trent.

Scott D
8/13/2007, 04:44 PM
probably didn't mention Murray because it listed only "true" freshmen, not redshirt freshmen.

picasso
8/13/2007, 05:24 PM
yeah but he is a true redshirt freshman.

that's gotta mean something.

Collier11
8/13/2007, 05:29 PM
and this has already been posted...

SoonerBOI
8/13/2007, 05:33 PM
and this has already been posted...
I know. Sorry...did mean to . Was trying to erase it...Sorry

picasso
8/13/2007, 05:34 PM
I like the thread myself.

Scott D
8/13/2007, 07:02 PM
this thread gets bonus points because collier didn't start it ;)

sooneron
8/13/2007, 07:11 PM
I like the thread myself.
Yeah, I'm thinking about setting up shop in here... What more can I want? A double thread, mistaken players' eligibility. This the making of SF.com greatness.

The cable guy is coming by on Wed. sometime between 8AM and 11 Am and 11:30 AM and 5PM.

:D

Collier11
8/14/2007, 10:38 AM
this thread gets bonus points because collier didn't start it ;)

Who cares if I start it, I always finish(sometimes in 30 seconds or less)!!!

Seamus
8/14/2007, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking about setting up shop in here... What more can I want? A double thread, mistaken players' eligibility. This the making of SF.com greatness.

:D

Sarcasm GOLD.