View Full Version : Good news about Big XII officiating

Paperclip
8/13/2007, 01:09 PM
:rolleyes:

SLC teams up with Big 12 in officiating

By KEVIN GORE
Sentinel Staff

Sunday, August 12, 2007

With more than 30 years of officiating experience under his belt, Bryon Boston understands the importance of getting it right.

"Our goal is that an official's mistake never determines who wins the Southland Conference," Boston said.

Boston, who serves as coordinator of Southland Conference officials, introduced a new affiliation between the Southland Conference and Big 12 Conference at the SLC football kickoff meetings in Houston a few weeks ago.

Here's how the partnership will work.

Boston said SLC and Big 12 Conference officials will work in their respective leagues throughout the non-conference portion of the football season.

But when league play begins for each respective conference — which cuts the number of games in each league by half because league teams are playing one another — Boston said there will be Big 12 games with some SLC officials and SLC games with some Big 12 officials.

Boston, whose 13 years of officiating in the NFL included Super Bowl XXXIV, between St. Louis and Tennessee, said the partnership is all about taking measures to train and evaluate officials.

"We hope that there will be better quality of officiating on the field," he said. "The Big 12 Conference has a lot of resources that will be useful. They have excellent video operations. We will be able to watch every game from every conference."

Boston said all of it is necessary because the game is getting faster and faster. Plus, there is replay, which is implemented by several conferences.

"We have to get officials up to the speed of the game," Boston said. "Replay tends to expose the mistakes of officials. We don't want that."

Boston said Big 12 officials make approximately $975 per game, with some travel and per diem tacked on.

He said SLC officials make approximately $575, which includes any travel and per diem.

He said the pay per game for officials will be adjusted when Big 12 officials work an SLC game or SLC officials work a Big 12 game.

Compensation aside, Boston said the partnership will give officials more games to work, which should keep them sharper.

"This will keep the officials working throughout the season, instead of them having some weeks off," he said.

Boston began his Division I collegiate officiating career in the Southland Conference in 1987.

Widescreen
8/13/2007, 02:23 PM
I'm sure that'll thrill B12 officials who will now be working SLC games.

B12 official: Exactly how does one get to Muleshoe, TX?

colleyvillesooner
8/13/2007, 02:31 PM
I can see a Southland Conference official missing an important call while daydreaming: "Man, it's really loud here." or "There sure are alot of people packin here!"

mikeelikee
8/13/2007, 03:38 PM
I'm waiting on the thread titled, "Good news about Pac 10 officiating." :rolleyes:

Widescreen
8/13/2007, 03:50 PM
I'm waiting on the thread titled, "Good news about Pac 10 officiating." :rolleyes:
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2723/hellfrozeover9d524e3nb9.jpg

Big Red Ron
8/13/2007, 03:51 PM
I think this is a good thing. There may and probably is some underlying politics behind this.

I doubt we'll have any more Lubbuck insurance salesmen calling an OU-tech games. ;)

goingoneight
8/13/2007, 04:21 PM
I think this is a good thing. There may and probably is some underlying politics behind this.

I doubt we'll have any more Lubbuck insurance salesmen calling an OU-tech games. ;)
A-ahem...
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2723/hellfrozeover9d524e3nb9.jpg

:D

IronSooner
8/13/2007, 05:56 PM
Overheard in Eugene, OR...

"We have to get officials up to the speed of the game," Boston said. "Replay tends to expose the mistakes of officials. We don't want that."

fadada1
8/13/2007, 07:47 PM
thank GOD!!!! now we can be associated with football powers like steven f. austin, sam houston, northwestern state, and s.e. louisiana vo-tech.

lemme tell you folks sumfin'....

if we get screwed in a game this year, in a game refereed by a southland conference official, somebody might lose their life over it. maybe i'm reading this wrong, but nothing good can come of this. contrary to popular belief, 1AA football IS NOT division 1 football. 1AA officials ARE NOT used to the speed of the game, and will, MARK MY WORDS, foul up some BIG TIME calls.

just my $.02

Big Red Ron
8/13/2007, 07:55 PM
thank GOD!!!! now we can be associated with football powers like steven f. austin, sam houston, northwestern state, and s.e. louisiana vo-tech.

lemme tell you folks sumfin'....

if we get screwed in a game this year, in a game refereed by a southland conference official, somebody might lose their life over it. maybe i'm reading this wrong, but nothing good can come of this. contrary to popular belief, 1AA football IS NOT division 1 football. 1AA officials ARE NOT used to the speed of the game, and will, MARK MY WORDS, foul up some BIG TIME calls.

just my $.02I think, those SC officials are not a part of "The Good Ol' boy" system.

In this case, I believe, the change is warranted and needed.

AlbqSooner
8/13/2007, 08:02 PM
I'm sure that'll thrill B12 officials who will now be working SLC games.

B12 official: Exactly how does one get to Muleshoe, TX?
It is few miles south of Earth.;)

Big Red Ron
8/13/2007, 08:05 PM
Big XII officials might be bigger hicks than the others, and I'm cereal.

sooneron
8/13/2007, 08:35 PM
I'll decide that it's bad when it is.

SoonerMom2
8/14/2007, 12:01 AM
They cannot be any worse that some of the crews in the Big 12. I would give these guys more of a shot to call a game right because they have something to prove about being fair and honest unlike the homers that ref some of the Big 12 games. Tech comes to mind!

SoonerKnight
8/14/2007, 12:21 AM
true

SoonerKnight
8/14/2007, 12:23 AM

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/hsc3663l.jpg

:cool: :D

Seamus
8/14/2007, 03:58 AM
Any chance you can post a picture of a magnifying glass so I can read your avatar?

MamaMia
8/14/2007, 08:13 AM
"We hope that there will be better quality of officiating on the field," he said...
"We have to get officials up to the speed of the game," Boston said. "Replay tends to expose the mistakes of officials. We don't want that."No, we certainly don't want that...McFly.

"Our goal is that an official's mistake never determines who wins the Southland Conference," Boston said. Yes, and in the scheme of things, that is so very important to the Big XII.