PDA

View Full Version : Keith Nichol getting some props via SI!!

Collier11
8/13/2007, 12:51 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/cory_mccartney/08/13/impact.freshmen/index.html

Keith Nichol, QB, Oklahoma

High School: Lowell (Mich.)

A true freshman has never opened the season as the Sooners starting quarterback, but this two-time Michigan player of the year has a shot to become the first.

Nichol is battling with junior Joey Halzle and redshirt freshman Sam Bradford, who have a total of two mop-up appearances and two pass attempts between them. Offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson has hinted that the position may not be settled until after the season starts.

What sets Nichol apart is an extremely strong arm and a dual-threat ability. As a senior, he threw for 2,235 yards and 31 touchdowns and rushed for 1,075 yards and 19 scores. Even if the early enrollee doesn't start in the season opener against North Texas, it's likely he won't stay on the sideline for long.

Collier11
8/13/2007, 12:53 PM
With Wilson's past at NW and Nichols mobility and strong arm, I see him def. getting snaps whether Bradford or Halzle end up ahead of him or not. I think Sam or Joey will be the odd man out with Nichols potential but they wont rush Nichol too much

Scott D
8/13/2007, 12:58 PM
I think this means that Collier is pulling for Hays McEachern to get the starting gig.

recemp
8/13/2007, 01:05 PM
My kid is a Michigan State alum. He keeps asking me why Nichol decided to go to OU instead. I keep telling him the kid wanted to play big time college football. He doesn't understand.

Scott D
8/13/2007, 01:06 PM
aggies never do recemp, aggies never do.

setem
8/13/2007, 01:52 PM
I think Bradford and Halzle are going to be the odd guys out next season when Landry Jones comes to town. These next few years we are going to look like Florida. We have somuch talant at RB and QB I do not know they are going to get everyone in.

Widescreen
8/13/2007, 02:16 PM
We have somuch talant at RB and QB I do not know they are going to get everyone in.
This could've been said prior to the 2005 season (especially QB). Look what happened there.

Collier11
8/13/2007, 02:18 PM
I think Bradford and Halzle are going to be the odd guys out next season when Landry Jones comes to town. These next few years we are going to look like Florida. We have somuch talant at RB and QB I do not know they are going to get everyone in.

Keep in mind that Landry plays small ball in NM, not exactly a football mecca. Thats not to say he wont be great, but lets see what the 3 guys we have look like before we anoint him

Collier11
8/13/2007, 02:19 PM
My kid is a Michigan State alum. He keeps asking me why Nichol decided to go to OU instead. I keep telling him the kid wanted to play big time college football. He doesn't understand.

You obviously didn't raise your kid correctly, for that you need to be punished!!

snp
8/13/2007, 03:32 PM
Nichol won't be the starting QB for the first game. He's not ready.

Collier11
8/13/2007, 03:53 PM

Thanks Coach, glad for the input!

fwsooner22
8/13/2007, 03:57 PM

And people say message boards on the internet are worthless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Red Ron
8/13/2007, 04:01 PM
Nichol has as much game experience as any of the other guys. He clearly has the most sheer talent, especially with what Wilson does on offense.

JohnnyMack
8/13/2007, 04:12 PM
Goes back to upside in my mind. If the coaches think that Nichol is on the same level as Halzle and Bradford at this point, why not go with Nichol?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/13/2007, 04:20 PM
My kid is a Michigan State alum. He keeps asking me why Nichol decided to go to OU instead. I keep telling him the kid wanted to play big time college football. He doesn't understand.What the heck you been saying to get the orange/red speck...certainly nothing like the above!

snp
8/13/2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks Coach, glad for the input!

And people say message boards on the internet are worthless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be here when Stoops says those exact words in a couple of weeks.

I also know who Wilson's favorite QB is, for what it's worth.

Scott D
8/13/2007, 04:42 PM

you were told to downplay the Hays era, not hide it's existence.

snp
8/13/2007, 04:49 PM
We're entering a big era of Sooner football. The only man large enough to carry that torch is Loadholdt.

Scott D
8/13/2007, 04:51 PM
Just think of how badly the whorns are going to cry because it will be Super Hays leading the Sooners to victory over them crushing their meager MNC hopes.

Collier11
8/13/2007, 05:01 PM

Zac Kustok has no eligibility left smart guy!!!

:D

SoonerKnight
8/13/2007, 05:12 PM
If they start Nichol with his talent the team may not win every game but we would still have a good year. Also, next year would be even better because of the experience he would have in that position. The team has talent everywhere and all the QB has to do is get the ball to the play makers and not turn it over! I think this kid would be a good choice but then again I'm not the coach!

Collier11
8/13/2007, 05:13 PM

I personally would go with Bradford to start but it isnt necessarily Wilsons call

KantoSooner
8/13/2007, 06:11 PM
Malcolm Kelly had an interesting comment in the recent video postings. He said that while all the QBs were on target, Nichol's throws had more 'zip' on them.
I don't want to annoint him too early, but a quick, crisp release is a pretty important thing for a QB.
Anyone with comments regarding how his ability to read and check off defenses looks?

Seamus
8/13/2007, 06:24 PM
but then again I'm not the coach!

Damnation. I was thinking you were Stoops. Or at least Heupel.

:D

Zing
8/13/2007, 06:43 PM

Heupel? He's my favorite.

oumartin
8/13/2007, 06:50 PM
Yeah too bad Chris Wilsons opinion doesn't matter here SNP!

SoonerKnight
8/13/2007, 06:59 PM
I just hope they look beyond this year and prepare for next year as well. Taking into account you get your talent guys snaps and playing time. I am tired of OUr QB situation every year. I would like to see a season start where we are solid at ALL positions.

David Earl
8/13/2007, 07:37 PM
I hate to break this to you people, but Keith is transfering to Sam Houston to compete with Bomar for the starting job down there.

Link to prove this is not just rumor (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1981347&postcount=28)

Big Red Ron
8/13/2007, 07:58 PM
I hate to break this to you people, but Keith is transfering to Sam Houston to compete with Bomar for the starting job down there.

Link to prove this is not just rumor (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1981347&postcount=28)Well played Sir, well played, indeed!:texan:

oumartin
8/13/2007, 08:40 PM
Well I fell for it.!

goingoneight
8/13/2007, 09:19 PM
Goes back to upside in my mind. If the coaches think that Nichol is on the same level as Halzle and Bradford at this point, why not go with Nichol?
Physically he may be up to par with those guys, but do you want to here about a n00b QB getting into freshmen-type of oopsies every week? Not saying Nichol is a bad egg, I'm saying there is a major adjustment period any college student has to make in maturity over the course of his first year. I don't want to hear about us being a corrupt program because Nichol got caught with a beer at a house party, and I don't want him to throw a junk pick-6 because he gets antsy. Next year, I certainly feel Nichol could be of use, but starting a true-frosh QB is a major risk- minor reward situation. Like was said last year, they felt Halzle and Bradford could have done just fine, but PT earned the respect of his coaches because they knew him better. Same with starting Hybl over White. Playing a better player sometimes has its consequences.

goingoneight
8/13/2007, 09:23 PM
I just hope they look beyond this year and prepare for next year as well. Taking into account you get your talent guys snaps and playing time. I am tired of OUr QB situation every year. I would like to see a season start where we are solid at ALL positions.

Name one team that does so on a consistent basis. If you point to USC, I'll point to a defense that gave up 420+ yards to one player. If it ain't the QB, it's gonna be someone playing team n00b.

oumartin
8/13/2007, 09:35 PM
You play the best players and if he is the best and playing the best then he should play. Stoops has said it before he has no problems playing a Freshman if they are ready. That being said he didn't let AD start the first game of his career either and I dont think you will see Nichol start the first game. However he will get his snaps and if he is the best. He will play

OU-HSV
8/13/2007, 09:35 PM
Keep in mind that Landry plays small ball in NM, not exactly a football mecca. Thats not to say he wont be great, but lets see what the 3 guys we have look like before we anoint him
Honestly I'm not too familiar w/NM high school football.
I would just assume that a 4A NM QB that has put the stats up that he has...and has the size that he has, may have a damn good chance of coming in and competing w/our current QBs for the starting slot. But like you said, let's see what SB, JH, & KN can do this season, and go from there. If the coaches let one of these guys play all season long, there's no telling how good they can get by the end of the year.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/13/2007, 09:45 PM
You play the best players and if he is the best and playing the best then he should play. Stoops has said it before he has no problems playing a Freshman if they are ready. That being said he didn't let AD start the first game of his career either and I dont think you will see Nichol start the first game. However he will get his snaps and if he is the best. He will play
But isn't this what goingoneight is saying? Nichol might be the best player and at the same time not quite ready.

BornandBred
8/13/2007, 09:51 PM
Kids in highschool. I don't care if it's Peyton Mannings bastard love child, he don't count for this years game plan. He shouldn't count for next years either, seeing as we'll be having a returning starter back at QB. I know it's hard to remember what that was like, but great looking hs QB prospects usually redshirt when there is a returning starter. Especially one that, hopefully, leads us to a record like I think we're capable of, 10-2 at worst.

OU-HSV
8/13/2007, 10:10 PM
Kids in highschool. I don't care if it's Peyton Mannings bastard love child, he don't count for this years game plan. He shouldn't count for next years either, seeing as we'll be having a returning starter back at QB. I know it's hard to remember what that was like, but great looking hs QB prospects usually redshirt when there is a returning starter. Especially one that, hopefully, leads us to a record like I think we're capable of, 10-2 at worst.
Oh I agree. We don't need to necessarily plan this year's starting QB around the idea of having Landry coming in next year to compete for the starting role. I was simply saying let's not count the kid out on coming in to compete. After all, that's what it's all about...competing to be the best.
That being said,this year's starting QB needs to be the one that gives us the best chance to win. And if the battle is even going into the first game, I agree with everyone...let's go with the youth.

OU_PhD
8/13/2007, 10:56 PM

I don't know what you're talking about. Football in that part of New Mexico--from Carlsbad to Roswell to Artesia to Lovington--is just as intense as west Texas. Are they pumping out 5 stars in New Mexico? Well, no. But they do have a great tradition of high school football.

goingoneight
8/13/2007, 11:09 PM
Everyone always acts like you have to play big ball to be talented. It helps you when you put up big numbers against the big guns for recognition, but coaches have eyes and ears all over the country; not just in the HS football capitals. Look at TRRW for example. Boo recruited him, I know... but he probably never would have been mentioned in the same sentence as 'college football' back in his HS days. DeMarco comes from Vegas, Aikman from Henryetta... it's cool when we get the star guys, but there's obviously a reason why these guys come to OU... and their high school competition rarely has anything to do with a recruiter sitting and watching him play. How many times have you heard of a walk-on, or a no-name getting signed after February and he came in and made a good name for himself? I hear it every year, for just about every team worth mentioning.

King said it himself when asked about Boise State's roster. He said he knew "for a fact" that these guys weren't all-world hyped, and weren't the crop Stoops recruits, but he never questioned how good a true "player" and a true "team" could perform. Yet everyone took him for arrogant and said he was disrespecting BSU. He wasn't... he's always the first to tell strangers how the best players show up in the damndest places.

freshchris05
8/13/2007, 11:51 PM
Oh I agree. We don't need to necessarily plan this year's starting QB around the idea of having Landry coming in next year to compete for the starting role. I was simply saying let's not count the kid out on coming in to compete. After all, that's what it's all about...competing to be the best.
That being said,this year's starting QB needs to be the one that gives us the best chance to win. And if the battle is even going into the first game, I agree with everyone...let's go with the youth.

:stunned: Oh really i thought it was about moral victories, really cool t-shirts, and rubbing it in when teams that butt f*ck us lose to other teams that have butt f*cked us... hmm i guess i learned something today... :stunned:

SoonerKnight
8/14/2007, 12:34 AM
I'm curious how good is Halzle and Bradford? From what I've read and heard they really don't have big arms and are not that mobile. Nichol on the other hand has a strong arm and can scramble for yards. The down side is that he seems quick to run and not go through the progressions. I know that whoever it is that is QB we will do fine. I do believe that with three QB's that have virtually no game time I would say start the true freshman if he is the better player. I think Nichol wil suprise us and maybe we can bring back the ole days when we put 63 and 64 points on texas!!

Seamus
8/14/2007, 03:54 AM
Everyone always acts like you have to play big ball to be talented. It helps you when you put up big numbers against the big guns for recognition, but coaches have eyes and ears all over the country; not just in the HS football capitals. Look at TRRW for example. Boo recruited him, I know... but he probably never would have been mentioned in the same sentence as 'college football' back in his HS days. DeMarco comes from Vegas, Aikman from Henryetta... it's cool when we get the star guys, but there's obviously a reason why these guys come to OU... and their high school competition rarely has anything to do with a recruiter sitting and watching him play. How many times have you heard of a walk-on, or a no-name getting signed after February and he came in and made a good name for himself? I hear it every year, for just about every team worth mentioning.

King said it himself when asked about Boise State's roster. He said he knew "for a fact" that these guys weren't all-world hyped, and weren't the crop Stoops recruits, but he never questioned how good a true "player" and a true "team" could perform. Yet everyone took him for arrogant and said he was disrespecting BSU. He wasn't... he's always the first to tell strangers how the best players show up in the damndest places.

Actually, TRRW was pretty highly recruited. He went to James Logan in Union City, a big-arse school. Good athletes there.

One of the keys to Roy going to OU was his aunt or some relative worked in the OU cafeteria.

Scott D
8/14/2007, 10:03 AM
this is still going on? Hays McEachern is going to be the starter you dunces.

illinisooner
8/14/2007, 10:18 AM
You're all wrong. It's actually Chase Wasson.

Collier11
8/14/2007, 10:34 AM
I don't know what you're talking about. Football in that part of New Mexico--from Carlsbad to Roswell to Artesia to Lovington--is just as intense as west Texas. Are they pumping out 5 stars in New Mexico? Well, no. But they do have a great tradition of high school football.

Intensity and competition are two very different words

Widescreen
8/14/2007, 10:51 AM
this is still going on? Hays McEachern is going to be the starter you dunces.
We don't want to waste him at QB when we can use him to score a bunch of TD's from the kick-holder position.

OU_PhD
8/14/2007, 01:39 PM
Intensity and competition are two very different words

I agree 100% but that doesn't mean great players don't come out of those areas. Brian Urlacher played against Artesia every year when he was in high school and he is pretty talented.

Collier11
8/14/2007, 01:58 PM
I agree, im not necessarily disagreeing with you at all. From all the film I have seen the guy is going to be great but I dont want to put all my hope in him when we have 3 guys now that have a lot of potential.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
8/14/2007, 03:13 PM
I know the role of QB is a lot different now and I'm not saying Nichol is proven but Jamelle Holieway did OK as a freshman.

My guess has been all along that Bradford would probably win the job. At the end of the day though, Halzle has little experience and Bradford has the experience from redshirting a year but no real game experience either. It would be "preferred" if the starter was someone with at least some experience but it sounds like Nichol is looking the best right now.

It's not like he would be unseating a returning starter so I wouldn't that suprised if wins the job.

Just my .02

JohnnyMack
8/14/2007, 03:39 PM
You can't spell Heisman without Hays.

MojoRisen
8/14/2007, 03:45 PM
Exactly, plus the kid is a 4.0 student and played 3 years as a Letterman and All State in Michigan. He is a gamer not like a total deer in headlights -

Wed mini scrimmage and Saturdays real scrimmage will decide the starting QB-
I think our coaches are even scrambling a bit now under the pressure and for any of the QB's not looking so hot last Saturday.

Seriously if it is a Tie- go with the Future - the more I think about it- I would not mind seeing Bradford start and Nichol actually play in change the pace situations 20 snaps a game. Like Bobby Reid and Zach Robinson last year - we can play two guys and be effective - I bet that is what we do.

SoonerKnight
8/14/2007, 05:28 PM
Exactly, plus the kid is a 4.0 student and played 3 years as a Letterman and All State in Michigan. He is a gamer not like a total deer in headlights -
Seriously if it is a Tie- go with the Future - the more I think about it- I would not mind seeing Bradford start and Nichol actually play in change the pace situations 20 snaps a game. Like Bobby Reid and Zach Robinson last year - we can play two guys and be effective - I bet that is what we do.

I hope we play one QB! If Nichols starts and is as good as I'm hearing and reading then I would say he will do just fine with a very talented offise. He is going to be giving the ball off to the RB's plenty of the time and all he has to do is get downfield enough to establish a passing game to the point that the other teams will be off balance. I can see Bradford starting I just hope it isn't like 2005!! If Nichol is a real gamer then he will do fine after all when he feels it is not safe to throw he runs and that will do well for us!!!:pop:

goingoneight
8/14/2007, 05:40 PM
You're all wrong. It's actually Chase Wasson.

What about John Nimmo? He did really good... deep-snapping... and... stuff. :twinkies:

MojoRisen
8/14/2007, 06:23 PM
Here is my last spin, if Bradford wins the Job this year and it is very close. Nichol does need to play or you would have to think Bradford would be light years ahead the next year and you are basically prematurely benching the better player who needs some more development. So the Florida or Okie St deal may not be a bad option as too get your backup the most experience you can in situations that he can change the pace and be effective.

I am not a fan of the two QB system but I think it helps recruiting and in the long run you have to have experience back ups to have a seamless transition.

The QB battles need not ever go past Spring Ball in the future.

If you red shirt - Nichol, Bradford will still only be a Sophmore next year and Landrey Jones will be a True Freshman - Redshirt him and you have a

Junior Bradford, Sophmore Nichol and RS Freshman in Landrey Jones in 09

I don't think Nichol or Jones will waite potentially 4 years to sniff the feild -

So I would like to see one more battle for the QB position next year and that should be it - accept in spring ball when it can be open competition.

SoonerKnight
8/14/2007, 08:54 PM
I am not a fan of the two QB system but I think it helps recruiting and in the long run you have to have experience back ups to have a seamless transition.

The QB battles need not ever go past Spring Ball in the future.

If you red shirt - Nichol, Bradford will still only be a Sophmore next year and Landrey Jones will be a True Freshman - Redshirt him and you have a

Junior Bradford, Sophmore Nichol and RS Freshman in Landrey Jones in 09

I don't think Nichol or Jones will waite potentially 4 years to sniff the feild -

So I would like to see one more battle for the QB position next year and that should be it - accept in spring ball when it can be open competition.

I agree 100%!!:D

goingoneight
8/14/2007, 09:02 PM
^^ Sure it's not 70/40%? ;)

Collier11
8/15/2007, 11:13 AM
^^ Sure it's not 70/40%? ;)

BLLLEEVVVIINNNNSSSS!!!!

freshchris05
8/15/2007, 11:20 AM
Speaking of Blevins... Me and my dad watched the '77 Ohio State Game, and my dad's like i don't remember blevins sucking this bad, and i said well dad theres a 40 to 70 percent chance than he's nursing an injury... i dont think he got it...

Stitch Face
8/15/2007, 11:21 AM
Everyone always acts like you have to play big ball to be talented

I knew some talented girls in college who could play big ball