PDA

View Full Version : Gated Communities?

r5TPsooner
8/13/2007, 12:12 PM
Does anyone here own a home that's in a gated community? The reason I'm asking is that we purchased a home in the NW side of OKC in the Deer Creek school system in March. The homes range from $299k-450k. While we are not a gated community yet, we are experiencing several vandalisms, car break-ins, and home break-ins. I also notice that some of the other communities nearbye, have gated communities and there homes price wise, are a lot less.

I was very against the idea of a gated community at first, but with the recent rash of crime, I was wondering if any of you who do live in a gated community, could add insight to whether this help crime or is just another "fad." In the last month I have really changed my mind, and am leaning towards voting in favor of the gates during the next HOA meeting.

I know that if someone wants to commit a crime they will, I was just wondering if the costs justify the means regarding gated communities?

We also have several new homes being constructed, we were also thinking that most of these could be inside jobs. It also probably doesn't help that our homes are right off of MacArthur

Any comments or insight are gladly welcomed & appreciated.

sooner_born_1960
8/13/2007, 12:16 PM
Are gated communities responsible for street maintenance?

crawfish
8/13/2007, 12:22 PM
Gated communities are much more secure for that 1/3 of the time the gate is working. :)

mdklatt
8/13/2007, 12:39 PM
Make sure the gate is wide enough for your Yukon. :texan:

mdklatt
8/13/2007, 12:41 PM
Gated communities are much more secure for that 1/3 of the time the gate is working. :)

And if your idiot neighbors don't:

1) choose gate codes like 00000, 12345, 11111, etc.

2) tell their gate code to the pizza delivery guy

frankensooner
8/13/2007, 01:18 PM
From my understanding, if it is in OKC and the gates are left open during daylight hours, the city will maintain the streets. I heard that Mullholland (sp?) had a rash of break ins a while back and they have a gate with a security guard.

Taxman71
8/13/2007, 01:43 PM
Or just tell the guard at OakTree that you are going to the pro shop and he'll wave you right through.:D

I know Belmar leaves their gate open pretty much all the time for homebuilders.