PDA

View Full Version : Curse strikes again; Rufus likely tears ACL

colleyvillesooner
8/13/2007, 09:13 AM
http://www.startribune.com/510/story/1356751.html

Knee injury could end Alexander's rookie season

Rookie linebacker Rufus Alexander suffered a serious injury to his right knee.

Rookie linebacker Rufus Alexander, the Vikings' fifth-round draft choice and a rising special teams star, could be lost for the season after suffering a serious injury to his right knee in the Vikings' 13-10 preseason loss to St. Louis.

Coach Brad Childress said the injury would be re-evaluated today. But Alexander, who suffered the injury while covering a kick in the third quarter, likely suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament. He declined to comment.

r5TPsooner
8/13/2007, 09:19 AM
Was the game played on that crap they call turf in Minnesota? If so, not a bit surprising.

Either way, what a shame.

Tear Down This Wall
8/13/2007, 10:14 AM
Gee, Sooners and ex-Sooners so rarely have these problems. Couldn't be because they're overworked in the weightroom for four to five years. Nah. Impossible.

NormanPride
8/13/2007, 10:39 AM
Man, I wish we had more posters to point fingers at our award-winning coaches and badmouth players that work hard to entertain us. There's just not enough of that around.

sooner518
8/13/2007, 10:42 AM
<:stunned:> All them gooners must be takin them stareoids so their all worn out when they get to teh NFL! Barry Sanders never did any of that!! </:stunned:>

jk the sooner fan
8/13/2007, 10:44 AM
Gee, Sooners and ex-Sooners so rarely have these problems. Couldn't be because they're overworked in the weightroom for four to five years. Nah. Impossible.

i can assure you it has nothign to do with it....i tore my ACL playing pick up basketball with a bunch of 18 year olds.......i dont touch weights

crap happens, put down the conspiracy pipe

OK2LA
8/13/2007, 10:45 AM
A black cat walked in front of Bud before that Notre Dame game . . .

We've been jinxed ever since.

Rhino
8/13/2007, 11:12 AM
Gee, Sooners and ex-Sooners so rarely have these problems. Couldn't be because they're overworked in the weightroom for four to five years. Nah. Impossible. Is this Joe C. or BJW's fault?

Newbomb Turk
8/13/2007, 11:12 AM

good point - the John Blake players didn't have near the problem Stoops players do.

Bring back Boo!

;)

SoonerBOI
8/13/2007, 11:22 AM
That is so sad. Heard Dan Cody of the Ravens is out for the season too.

MR2-Sooner86
8/13/2007, 11:27 AM
That sucks. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

The_Red_Patriot
8/13/2007, 11:34 AM
Maybe Bud Kilmer is on our staff????

http://www.filmfashion.nl/stills/varsityblues.jpg

Drugging up our players rather than letting things heal.

Then all of a sudden. SNAP

I really doubt it though

OklahomaTuba
8/13/2007, 12:03 PM
Only one man can be to blame for this, and all the other never-ending rash of OU player injuries in the National Football League, and that man's name is...

http://cafe.ou.edu/honors/images/Brian.jpg
Brian Britt.

SoonerBBall
8/13/2007, 01:07 PM

Link?

Thought not.

SoonerBBall
8/13/2007, 01:09 PM

Wow, the more I read this, the more retarded it is.

You are saying that our players at OU get worked harder than professional athletes by their coaches/trainers? Seriously? I just want to be clear.

soonerhubs
8/13/2007, 02:01 PM
TDTW sounds less like Reagan everyday. It's almost embarrassing for him to use that handle anymore. :D

snp
8/13/2007, 03:34 PM
Well somebody has to step up where NickZep left off.

goingoneight
8/13/2007, 04:27 PM
I was under the impression that weight-training made you... a-ahem... stronger?

Scott D
8/13/2007, 04:49 PM
I was under the impression that weight-training made you... a-ahem... stronger?

I think the question is if the increase in mass (muscle) isn't tempered properly with flexibility/traditional stretching of ligaments to support those muscles. Or in plain english, are the players getting bigger but not retaining the kind of flexibility/support the ligaments need (especially the knee) to maintain proper shape and not tear/snap.

and to be fair TDTW isn't the only one who isn't a supporter of the methods of one Coach Schmidt.

Tear Down This Wall
8/13/2007, 05:14 PM
I think the question is if the increase in mass (muscle) isn't tempered properly with flexibility/traditional stretching of ligaments to support those muscles. Or in plain english, are the players getting bigger but not retaining the kind of flexibility/support the ligaments need (especially the knee) to maintain proper shape and not tear/snap.

You are correct, sir!

http://www.incorrectmusic.com/gallery/covers/mcmahon.jpg

SoonerFah
8/13/2007, 06:46 PM
As someone who has in the past torn both of their ACL's, maybe I can weigh in a bit. Correct me if I am wrong, but did Rufus not tear his knee up early in his career at OU? I seem to remember him doing that, and making a very quick recovery.

The point I am making is that athletes who tear one up, are more susceptible to knee injuries after the first because they tend to overcompensate with their healthy knee. It's what happened to me, when I tore mine while playing softball, 4 months after I had my first knee operated on from a football injury.

I guess what I am trying to say, is that I don't see how anyone can blame the OU staff for this, when it happens all over. And I assure you I've never even met Jerry Schmidt. I tend to think it's bad luck coupled with strong odds of repeat injuries.

snp
8/14/2007, 04:28 PM
and to be fair TDTW isn't the only one who isn't a supporter of the methods of one Coach Schmidt.

Also to be fair, he's one of the best in the business.