PDA

View Full Version : Ike, Fraggle, or any other scientist dude...

Jerk
8/12/2007, 07:35 PM
Can the average joe blow buy mercury without any legal hassles? I'm thinking like 2-3 ounces.

Is it easy to keep your self safe from being poisoned by it, by wearing protective clothing and what-not?

Thanks

OUHOMER
8/12/2007, 07:46 PM
hummmmm, Now what would you do with that much mercury. Are you making thermostats?

CUinNC
8/12/2007, 07:51 PM
The answer to both is No....sorry

the reticulative values of mercury will not be felt/seen until much later...you see, it is a subsatnce that shows it's nastiness much later, I'm afraid...and likes to hide in tissues, and great stuff like that..

gloves don't help either, Mercury also has vapors, which can be just as bad if in an enclosed environment...

(ya, I know that in the old days, everyone farted around with the stuff, but there is now a pretty solid legacy this stuff has left behind)

buying the stuff will also be hard, unless you can be permitted (you won't), or find someone who is....

that stuff is bad, leave it be, just my nickle dude...

curious, why you wanting some anyways????

Jerk
8/12/2007, 08:36 PM
that stuff is bad, leave it be, just my nickle dude...

curious, why you wanting some anyways????

Well, that sucks.

I go shooting a lot, and spend many hours trying to get the copper and carbon fouling out of the barrels. Supposedly, you can plug the barrel, fill it with mercury, let it sit for 30 minutes, and drain it. The barrel will be perfectly clean, like it came from the factory.

Frozen Sooner
8/12/2007, 08:57 PM
Buy a bunch of thermometers?

olevetonahill
8/12/2007, 10:05 PM
So im gonna die for grindin a penny down to the size of a dime ? rubbin Mercury on it ( bare handed ) and passin a penny for a dime ?
Im gonna die for 9 ****ing cents ?:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

olevetonahill
8/12/2007, 10:07 PM
Well, that sucks.

I go shooting a lot, and spend many hours trying to get the copper and carbon fouling out of the barrels. Supposedly, you can plug the barrel, fill it with mercury, let it sit for 30 minutes, and drain it. The barrel will be perfectly clean, like it came from the factory.
Get you a " Lewis Lead remover "
Itll clean the Lands an grooves !

1stTimeCaller
8/12/2007, 10:19 PM
In HS I broke a few thermometers in order to fill the hollow points of my .40 S&W rounds with mercury. I used candle wax to seal them up.

Heck, in the 8th grade our science teacher passed around a gallon jug of the stuff so we could pour some in our hands to play with it.

sooneron
8/12/2007, 10:23 PM
Heck, in the 8th grade our science teacher passed around a gallon jug of the stuff so we could pour some in our hands to play with it.
:eek:

olevetonahill
8/12/2007, 10:26 PM
:eek:
They dont call him shiney dick for nothin :D

critical_phil
8/12/2007, 10:29 PM
So im gonna die for grindin a penny down to the size of a dime ? rubbin Mercury on it ( bare handed ) and passin a penny for a dime ?
Im gonna die for 9 ****ing cents ?

if you read this post as if Mitch Hedberg were speaking it, it's really funny.

1stTimeCaller
8/12/2007, 10:47 PM
you're really funny

critical_phil
8/12/2007, 10:50 PM
shut up, Randy.

SCOUT
8/12/2007, 11:10 PM

My chemistry teacher had a jug of the stuff too. I don't specifically remember having it poured on my hands, but I wouldn't rule it out. We used that stuff in all kinds of experiments in our class...with no safety measures.

OzarkSooner
8/12/2007, 11:53 PM
This thread made me look up the following link:

http://www.llnl.gov/es_and_h/hsm/doc_14.05/doc14-05.html

After reading it, all I could think was....YIKES!!!

yermom
8/13/2007, 12:06 AM
dude, how would you lift a gallon of Mercury?

i remember floating lead balls on the stuff in a lab once

Vaevictis
8/13/2007, 07:21 AM
dude, how would you lift a gallon of Mercury?

i remember floating lead balls on the stuff in a lab once

No kidding, that stuff iirc is heavier than gold.

1stTimeCaller
8/13/2007, 07:32 AM
I guess the mercury gave us super-human strangth.

It was more like a half-gallon jug and it wasn't filled all the way up.

OU4LIFE
8/13/2007, 07:45 AM
[Maxwell Smart] Would you believe a Dixiecup, partially full? [/Maxwell Smart

Fraggle145
8/13/2007, 02:07 PM
Its all been covered here, but mercury and mercury poisoning is a really serious problem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_poisoning

Here is a link to the most famous picture of Minimata disease which is birth defects caused by mercury poisoning in Minimata bay (not for the faint of heart)
http://www.bhopal.net/otherbhopals/archives/2006/04/50_years_later.html

personally I would never mess with it.

CUinNC
8/13/2007, 06:36 PM
Well, that sucks.

Not any of my bisness Jerk, but where did you get that nugget of information from?....

there are a whole lotta ways to better-clean gun barrels....friction (without burring the stock, acid washes, etc....

You'all got any plating guys around there...machine shops, they can help as well....

don't go asking around about this stuff......IMHO

Jerk
8/13/2007, 07:09 PM
Not any of my bisness Jerk, but where did you get that nugget of information from?....

there are a whole lotta ways to better-clean gun barrels....friction (without burring the stock, acid washes, etc....

You'all got any plating guys around there...machine shops, they can help as well....

don't go asking around about this stuff......IMHO

I got that info from a buddy who is a fellow gun nut. He's a cop from Shawnee..maybe he learned it out there.

I'm actually looking for ways to clean metal that don't produce chemical reactions with the steel and that are fast. I can do this now, but it is very time consuming. The chemicals which are used to clean a bore QUICK are the harshest and most likely to etch the metal and damage the bore. The stuff that is used to clean a bore in the most safest manner possible with no chemical reactions (like Hoppe's 9) takes DAYS. I'm looking for something that is both fast and safe. Sounds kind of stupid, but I have one rifle barrel that is $500 by itself and you can etch the metal by leaving in some of the harsher chemicals in for too long (like ammonia).

The instructions for an ammonia-based copper remover will say something like "Do not leave inside bore for longer than 10 minutes." etc

Well, if there is a chemical reaction to take place, it won't magically happen after 10 minutes, it will happen as soon as the chemical touches the metal.

I might try Vets suggestion. Those SE OK hillbillies know guns.

Mixer!
8/13/2007, 09:17 PM
I hope nobody from Homeland Security stumbles upon this thread... ;)

Jerk
8/13/2007, 09:36 PM
I hope nobody from Homeland Security stumbles upon this thread... ;)

Well, if I wanted to be a threat, my CDL would be a hell of a lot more dangerous than these little toys I tinker with in my garage.

critical_phil
8/13/2007, 11:54 PM
the 3/$1.00 canned tuna at Family Dollar is probably loaded with mercury.