PDA

View Full Version : How Will OU Finish the Regular Season?

Octavian
8/12/2007, 07:21 PM
okay...here tis...new and improved :O

so...how will we end up?

OU_Sooners75
8/12/2007, 07:22 PM
11-1

Octavian
8/12/2007, 08:03 PM
could a mod or admin lock or delete the other (first) thread like this? Someone just added another post to it and if it keeps getting kicked back to the top this could get confusing.

this one is public like last year's prediction thread and it will stay open until the night before the first game like last year's. The other one is private and closes too soon.

my bad.

Ash
8/12/2007, 08:04 PM
:stunned: I cain't tel. thay hadn't played no reel games :stunned:

Octavian
8/12/2007, 08:06 PM
11-1

where do you think the loss will come?

BASSooner
8/12/2007, 08:57 PM
where do you think the loss will come?
officiating perhaps?

EstablishedSooner1967
8/12/2007, 09:15 PM
I really want to put 11-1 but I have to be a realest and think with a very new qb 10-2
Let hope I have to make plans to San Antonio.

sendbaht
8/12/2007, 09:17 PM
12 0 makes be so sad when they lose. Do not want to even think of them losing.

Octavian
8/12/2007, 09:18 PM
officiating perhaps?

well, if that happened it'd be the third year in a row so...never say never ;)

With the schedule...

North Texas

Miami

Utah St.

@ Tulsa

@ Colorado

** Texas

Mizzou

@ Iowa St.

A&M

Baylor

@ Tech

OSU

The teams in bold are the best ones we play. We get 4 of them in Norman and only one as a true road game.

Miami and Texas are self explanatory.

A&M has experience at their skill positions and have proven they can win on the road in tough venues. But we get them in Norman and I like our odds.

Mizzou in Norman doesn't alarm me.

Playing in Lubbock is always weird. Of the six toughest opponents we play, they are the only one we have to play in their house. But I think it'll end up being a typical Stoops-Leach game and OU will win going away.

And we get pokie in Norman so I like our odds in that one too.

man00
8/12/2007, 09:19 PM
I think the horns and canes gets them

goingoneight
8/12/2007, 09:35 PM
I predict 11-1 boldly, 10-2 comfortably.

11-1: the lone loss is a shocker that we should not lose ala Okie State 2001, T Tech 2005, Oregon 2006, etc.

12-2: (the more likely) Sooners have a good showing in every game like 2006, but inexperience and turnovers cost us Miami, Texass or Tech in Lubbock.

Again, the reason it's great to be a Sooner... there's not a game we can't win. The schedule sets up beautifully.

Miami: we get a high school scout team in UNT to warm up for a home game against a Miami team that is NOT... win or lose... NOT the Miami of old. They will be the Oregon of 2007, IMHO.

Texass: we get a not-so-great Colorado team in the first true road game prior to Texass. Great for a maturing QB to play somewhere that 85,000 aren't cheering for him.

Tech: see Miami above.

OSU: last game of the season, athletic prowess and 11 games of experience will have this team primed for the off-season while OSU is likely looking for a six to eighth win again. Won't be 52-9, or 42-14... But 35-17, 42-21... something good and embarassing for OSU is likely.

sanantoniosooner
8/12/2007, 09:38 PM
11-1: the lone loss is a shocker that we should not lose ala Okie State 2001, T Tech 2005, Oregon 2006, etc.

12-2: (the more likely)
I don't think 12-2 is all that likely.

oumartin
8/12/2007, 09:42 PM
a ND type bowl game losing streak scares me

HTown77095
8/12/2007, 09:49 PM
I'll be very disappointed if we don't go at least 11-1. We were only
1 blind instant replay official away from doing that well last year. And that was with our back-up qb.

olevetonahill
8/12/2007, 09:50 PM
Turn in Yalls sooner card .:mad: Ya aint a REAL Sooner fan Less you went to the School , Or picked 14 - 0 :mad:

HTown77095
8/12/2007, 09:54 PM
^^They're talkin' about regular season.

olevetonahill
8/12/2007, 09:56 PM
^^They're talkin' about regular season.
Well DUH !
If we finish 14-0
then regular IS gonna be 12-0 :pop:

HTown77095
8/12/2007, 10:05 PM
Well DUH !
If we finish 14-0
then regular IS gonna be 12-0 :pop:

well...the title of the thread is: "How Will OU Finish the Regular Season?" and the subsequent discussion is all about the regular season, not the post season. Read before you type please.

How are you going to vote for 14-0 when there are only 12 games in the regular season?

I hope you did not graduate from the same school that I did. I'm going to go burn my engineering degree now...

oumartin
8/12/2007, 10:10 PM
yeah vet. we won't lose in the regular season! sheesh.

Ash
8/12/2007, 10:12 PM
well...the title of the thread is: "How Will OU Finish the Regular Season?" and the subsequent discussion is all about the regular season, not the post season. Read before you type please.

How are you going to vote for 14-0 when there are only 12 games in the regular season?

I hope you did not graduate from the same school that I did. I'm going to go burn my engineering degree now...

Just my opinion, but I'd say the ole vet has more than paid his dues in general and earned his sooner card.

:pop:

olevetonahill
8/12/2007, 10:20 PM

Ya wanta borrow My lighter ?
Didnt ya study a lil Math in that there engineer school ? ya know like 14 -2 = 12 - 0 ?:rolleyes:

Ash
8/12/2007, 10:24 PM
I see that none of the resident ag trolls sacked up and represented by picking their category.

Ash
8/12/2007, 10:45 PM
Ya wanta borrow My lighter ?
Didnt ya study a lil Math in that there engineer school ? ya know like 14 -2 = 12 - 0 ?:rolleyes:

Hey Vet, is that the new fuzzy math?? what the crap?

Where in the pole does it say "what do you think the Sooners record will be after you subtract the two post season games which they will obviously win"?

olevetonahill
8/12/2007, 10:47 PM

Oh and at least I voted !:P

olevetonahill
8/12/2007, 10:49 PM
Hey Vet, is that the new fuzzy math?? what the crap?

Where in the pole does it say "what do you think the Sooners record will be after you subtract the two post season games which they will obviously win"?
I was doing a transcendent thing , Ya know Projecting further !;)

Ash
8/12/2007, 10:51 PM
Oh and at least I voted !:P

Great point. If you're going to call somebody out, at least have the cojones to put in your .02.

:cry:

Ash
8/12/2007, 10:54 PM
I was doing a transcendent thing , Ya know Projecting further !;)

Mental image: Ole vet in a room with the incense burning and the lava lamp going with the black light on while playing the sitar. :D

olevetonahill
8/12/2007, 10:57 PM
Mental image: Ole vet in a room with the incense burning and the lava lamp going with the black light on while playing the sitar. :D
Im fixin to hit the roof with a 12er, a fatty or 3 , and watch the shower :D

Ash
8/12/2007, 10:58 PM
Im fixin to hit the roof with a 12er, a fatty or 3 , and watch the shower :D

In. I'll bring another case.

olevetonahill
8/12/2007, 11:02 PM
In. I'll bring another case.
All are welcome at the "Olevet Shack " :D
cept the popos :mad:

Edmond Sooner
8/12/2007, 11:23 PM
I voted a solid 10-2 as a "worst case" scenario. Nothing would make me happier, of course, than being proved a poor prognosticator regarding those "2". And it is, incidentally, a matter of great satisfaction to me that my "worst case" scenario as an OU fan at 10-2 remains heads-and-shoulders above Aggie expectations, in which a "10-2" record in any given year is a genuine herald of Gabriel's horn and the Second Coming....

MR2-Sooner86
8/13/2007, 12:18 AM
Hell I'll look on the bright side of life, 12-0.

If we were to lose a game it'd either be Miami or Texas. I doubt it'd be Miami due to it being at home. Texas could be hard but I just don't think they can do it this year.

As for OSU, I'll expect Chuck Norris to come out of the closet before I'll expect another upset from them.

proud gonzo
8/13/2007, 12:54 AM
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/8323/smellslikenoobsj4.jpg

Zing
8/13/2007, 12:56 AM
This is a democracy, right? So we're gonna go 12-0 if it wins out in the poll?

FaninAma
8/13/2007, 10:13 AM
With even an average level of play from the QB position this team will be undefeated in the regular season. OU's football program is about to enter the golden era of Bob Stoop's regime. Everything that has happened before this year is just gravy.

I think there is an excellent chance that the 47 game winning streak may be eclipsed over the next 4 years. :D

The Maestro
8/13/2007, 10:47 AM
Well, break it down game by game.

UNT - easy win

Miami - they have a great DE and great Safety. Anyone else? Yes, we have new faces. Miami has new faces and coaches and nothing to be excited about on offense in THEIR first road game. Home crowd and more balance gets us by fairly easily. NOT the Miami of old....will be better, but our D should dominate this game.

Utah State - easy win

Tulsa - nice Tulsa team, but no matchup on the lines. Fairly easy win

Colorado - rebuilding Buffs do better, but only a 10% chance we lose on the road for the first time.

Texas - Big Shock. Circle this game as the make or break. I just think by now OUr QB is settled in, newcomers are seasoned and, bottom line, I think we have more talent on the field and on the sidelines with headsets. OU wins a tough battle.

Missouri - our house. Teams like this rarely do well in Norman. Win.

Iowa State - Our last loss in Ames was when?

Texas A&M - scary game and scary time of year with teams gunning for us. We will be top 5 if we are still unbeaten, maybe top 3. Last easy win vs. A&M was 77-0. 25% chance of losing this one, but A&M's inability to be balanced on offense means a Sooner win.

Baylor - easy win.

Texas Tech - maybe scariest game of the year based on two years ago and the start of last year's game. Again, if we are unbeaten and top 3 they will be treating this like their bowl game. Have to set the stage early, make big plays and not turn the ball over to give them chances. Let's see how their defense is this year. 33% chance of losing. Make plays and win.

OSU - final home game. ******. No excuses against a defense this bad. OSU's offense is good, but we will have a lot more to play for.

Big 12 Championship - I think it will be Nebraska. Depends on how Keller looks. No team has ever repeated as Big 12 champs. At least the North/South back and forth thing ended last year. Time for the repeating thing to end as well.

So yes, I picked unbeaten...so what? Is there any game we CANNOT win? No. Will we have as much if not more talent than any team we play? Yes. Do we have a proven winner as a coach? Yes. Solid offensive line and skill players? Yes. A defense that makes plays? Yes.

Obviously, bad luck (see Oregon and at TT two years ago) and turnovers (see Texas last year and first half of Fiesta Bowl) can change all of that. There are 56 quarters in a season. If our guys treat each one like the season depends on their performance in those 15 minutes then we have what it takes to end up in The Big Easy for the title game. Now it's up to them.

birddog
8/13/2007, 12:37 PM
it's almost too easy.

recemp
8/13/2007, 12:40 PM
If you go into the season believing less than 12-0 you are pulling for the wrong team

birddog
8/13/2007, 12:44 PM
unless you're being objective.

WE'RE NEVER GOING TO LOSE A GAME AGAIN!!

things happen, all i try to do is enjoy watching them play. this schedule sets up beautifully for us this year. it is very possible with all the home games that we can go undefeated and all of the sooner fans here would obviously love to see it.

The Maestro
8/13/2007, 12:44 PM
If you go into the season believing less than 12-0 you are pulling for the wrong team

I agree with that mindset. That's not to say if OU went 12-2 I would think it was a lousy year. Honestly, I just think we are strong enough to compete for the Big 12 title every year. History shows that under Stoops. Fear no one. So bring them on and let's play. 19 more days!

recemp
8/13/2007, 12:57 PM
I look forward to the NC in January.
I'm a Cubs fan. It is August and we are a game and a half out of first. The newspaper is publishing the 'wild card' standings! It is that mindset that will get the Cubs in third or fourth place by the end of the year. The folks in St. Louis seem to know that they are going to win the division.
Every year the date for a possible Cub world series home game conflicts with OU-Texas. Every year I'm at the Texas State Fair.
But every year I buy the Cubs season tickets. You gotta believe. It's been 98 years and I've been around for half of those.
In my life OU has won seven national championships. I don't hope for number eight, I know.

Socrefbek
8/13/2007, 01:27 PM
12-0 , 13 - 0 Big XII Champs, 14 - 0 BCS Champs. Number Eight is gonna be Great!

Soonerus
8/13/2007, 08:23 PM
Maybe this thread should be merged into this one that pre-dates this:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97088

sanantoniosooner
8/13/2007, 08:29 PM
Maybe this thread should be merged into this one that pre-dates this:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97088

sanantoniosooner, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

yeah...let's merge with a thread most of the people can't access.

pure genious.

Soonerus
8/13/2007, 10:27 PM
Easily accesible to me, sorry for your inferior privileges...

sanantoniosooner
8/14/2007, 07:29 AM
Well we could merge it with the grocery list on my fridge and then I'd see it and you wouldn't.

EstablishedSooner1967
8/14/2007, 09:48 AM
Are 48% of you High!!!

Or just have Crimson glasses on?

As much as I love OU and I want them to go 12-0 But, with a new QB do 48% really think that? Have you all forgot the past when OU was the greatest team off all times and KSU stomped OU.. Or USC put 55 on OU... how much either do you need to smell... OU is going to have a QB that has never seen the field... and you 48% think 12-0... I hope I get to eat crow but lets be realistic. 10-2 or 11-2

HTown77095
8/14/2007, 09:53 AM
^^Thank you.

The Maestro
8/14/2007, 10:32 AM
I love how breaking in a new QB means we can't run the table to some as well.

Were you around in 1985 when Troy broke his leg?

Tee Martin ring a bell? Did he follow up anyone with talent?

Last year's team lost one game before the Fiesta Bowl...how "seasoned" was that quarterback?

Sure, 10-2, 11-1, 12-0...hell, even 9-3. They could all happen. You say 10-2...who do we lose to? The obvious choices are Miami, Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech. Sure, we might find ourselves trailing in the fourth quarter in each of those games. But the thing is, we CAN win them all...and so some of us think with our talent, depth and coaching, we WILL find a way to win them all. Bold prediction, yes. But not out of the question. The schedule sets up perfectly with only four road games, one of those in the state of Oklahoma and two against very bad teams last year. Stoops has only lost twice at home in 8 years and has proven he can beat Texas.

So what's so crazy about 12-0? Um, last I checked we are Oklahoma. It COULD happen!

MR2-Sooner86
8/14/2007, 12:53 PM
Have you all forgot the past when OU was the greatest team off all times

Nope. It'd be nice to see this '07 team make a run like the '03 team, finish up, and then have them all return in '08 to do it all over again. A man can dream can't he?

and KSU stomped OU..

What does that do with your quaterback debate? We had White, a damn good QB and still lost. Was he off? Yes. The whole team didn't help either.

Or USC put 55 on OU...

Again what does that have to do with QB? We had White again and still were forced to grab our ankles. The entire team gave up that night, not just the QB.

OU is going to have a QB that has never seen the field...

If I'm not mistaken one of them got a few snaps during the season in mop up games. If I'm also not mistaken the other was at least on the sidelines and in the atmosphere but I could be mistaken.

Anyway, when was the last game we lost with a new QB? TCU. If I'm not mistaken, half of the offense went with White, Clayton, and all of them. Peterson was one of the few to return.

The QB this year won't be behind a new line, won't be throwing to new receivers, and the offense won't be centered on just one runner.

As The Maestro said, all of our games can be won and should be won.

Ash
8/14/2007, 03:44 PM
^^Thank you.

So what's your prediction? I see you haven't hesitated to critique other people's thoughts, but are too afraid to present your own.

HTown77095
8/14/2007, 04:08 PM
So what's your prediction? I see you haven't hesitated to critique other people's thoughts, but are too afraid to present your own.

First, are we talking REGULAR SEASON or REGULAR SEASON and POST SEASON. Lets get it straight NOW.

And if you read my previous post (you can read can't you) I said that 11-1 is attainable. Undefeated is a bit of a stretch w/ and unproven qb (I hope I am wrong). IF we had a seasoned qb that was proven on the field, I definitely would not hesitate to say we go undefeated. But to be honest, after the last 3 seasons I hate to get my hopes up just to be let down at some point no matter HOW GOOD we appear on paper.

Another way to look at is: how many regular seasons have we gone undefeated with a freshman qb OR an unproven qb? Think about it.

I honestly think it will be another season or two before we make a title run. Take a look at the big picture, does it really matter if we win it this year when we have a better chance next year? #8 will come, but unlikely this year in my opinion. Flame away...

HTown77095
8/14/2007, 04:21 PM
Just my opinion, but I'd say the ole vet has more than paid his dues in general and earned his sooner card.

:pop:

I guess over 30 years of attending home games for OU (my first game in 1976 against mizzou) and an Mechanical Engineering degree from OU doesn't give me a sooner card? Wow, give me a break.

PS: If you want, I can post up a picture of my degree. Will you give me a "sooner card" then? Will I be worthy of posting in this forum then?

Oh please...:rolleyes:

The Maestro
8/14/2007, 04:29 PM
does it really matter if we win it this year when we have a better chance next year?

You are entitled to your opinion that we will not be unbeaten this year. History says it is a safe bet.

But this sentence here gets me. Uh, yes!!! EVERY SEASON COUNTS!!!

I doubt the teams in 1956 and 1975 felt less of national title holders cause the teams in 1955 and 1974 won titles.

With as much money as Bob Stoops is making our team should make it a goal every year to hoist that crystal football. Otherwise, why play? No, it won't happen every year and hard to do once a decade. But it can be a goal.

And as far as your analysis that we have a better chance next year...next year we go to Miami, OSU and Texas A&M. I say the schedule is more suited to do it this year.

HTown77095
8/14/2007, 04:32 PM
You are entitled to your opinion that we will not be unbeaten this year. History says it is a safe bet.

But this sentence here gets me. Uh, yes!!! EVERY SEASON COUNTS!!!

I doubt the teams in 1956 and 1975 felt less of national title holders cause the teams in 1955 and 1974 won titles.

With as much money as Bob Stoops is making our team should make it a goal every year to hoist that crystal football. Otherwise, why play? No, it won't happen every year and hard to do once a decade. But it can be a goal.

And as far as your analysis that we have a better chance next year...next year we go to Miami, OSU and Texas A&M. I say the schedule is more suited to do it this year.

I hope you are right and that I am wrong.

goingoneight
8/14/2007, 04:41 PM
a ND type bowl game losing streak scares me
You're getting a little ahead of yourself, aren't you? We've only lost one, realistically.

Ash
8/14/2007, 04:44 PM
First, are we talking REGULAR SEASON or REGULAR SEASON and POST SEASON. Lets get it straight NOW.

And if you read my previous post (you can read can't you) I said that 11-1 is attainable. Undefeated is a bit of a stretch w/ and unproven qb (I hope I am wrong). IF we had a seasoned qb that was proven on the field, I definitely would not hesitate to say we go undefeated. But to be honest, after the last 3 seasons I hate to get my hopes up just to be let down at some point no matter HOW GOOD we appear on paper.

Another way to look at is: how many regular seasons have we gone undefeated with a freshman qb OR an unproven qb? Think about it.

I honestly think it will be another season or two before we make a title run. Take a look at the big picture, does it really matter if we win it this year when we have a better chance next year? #8 will come, but unlikely this year in my opinion. Flame away...

I rarely have a problem staying regular.

goingoneight
8/14/2007, 04:44 PM
I see that none of the resident ag trolls sacked up and represented by picking their category.
That's where we got the 8-4 or worse votes. They just don't have the cojones to tell it to our faces. :D

Ash
8/14/2007, 04:47 PM
I guess over 30 years of attending home games for OU (my first game in 1976 against mizzou) and an Mechanical Engineering degree from OU doesn't give me a sooner card? Wow, give me a break.

PS: If you want, I can post up a picture of my degree. Will you give me a "sooner card" then? Will I be worthy of posting in this forum then?

Oh please...:rolleyes:

The post you're replying to didn't imply any of this, maybe olevet might have a thing or two to say in response.

And while I think it's great that you've got a degree, you get your Sooner card when you figure out how to get into the invisible thread. n00bs.

goingoneight
8/14/2007, 04:57 PM
:stunned: all goonerz are just trailor trash hoo never went 2 uo and and and uh they gots won toof :stunned:

stoopified
8/14/2007, 07:09 PM
I think somewhere between 10-2 and 12-0.I'm not willing in my heart to concede any games but my brain says a couple of losses are possible.

olevetonahill
8/14/2007, 07:22 PM

That there degre. Seems to have ya a lil confused :P
Ok Ill type real slow fer ya ,
12-0 reg, 14-0 overall , Is that easier fer ya ta unnerstan ?
Oh and weve went undefeated with a freshman QB as often as weve went 0-12

Rogue
8/14/2007, 07:56 PM
Awwww yeah.

HTown77095
8/14/2007, 08:38 PM
That there degre. Seems to have ya a lil confused :P
Ok Ill type real slow fer ya ,
12-0 reg, 14-0 overall , Is that easier fer ya ta unnerstan ?
Oh and weve went undefeated with a freshman QB as often as weve went 0-12

Well, that clears it up some:rolleyes:

So, since u r such a jeenius at purdictin' the future, why may I ask you ain't got none of that thur vCash? jeenius :)

goingoneight
8/14/2007, 08:53 PM
12-0 with a typical freshmen QB, 14-0 if he's champeenship caliber. :D

Statalyzer
8/15/2007, 03:58 PM
Over 50% of the voters predicting an undefeated season is a bit excessive (even given the message board homerism that is present anywhere and everwhere). I'll pick some odds for each OU win mostly out of the air, but I think these are fair educated guesses and are generous to OU.

North Texas - 100%
Miami - 90%
Utah St - 100%
Tulsa - 100%
@ Colorado - 95%
vs Texas - 60%
Missouri - 85%
@ Iowa St - 95%
Texas A&M - 85%
Baylor - 99%
@ Tx Tech - 70%
Oklahoma St - 80%

That would yield a 19.5% chance of an undefeated season heading into the Big XII CCG.

The Maestro
8/15/2007, 04:04 PM
Over 50% of the voters predicting an undefeated season is a bit excessive (even given the message board homerism that is present anywhere and everwhere). I'll pick some odds for each OU win mostly out of the air, but I think these are fair educated guesses and are generous to OU.

North Texas - 100%
Miami - 90%
Utah St - 100%
Tulsa - 100%
@ Colorado - 95%
vs Texas - 60%
Missouri - 85%
@ Iowa St - 95%
Texas A&M - 85%
Baylor - 99%
@ Tx Tech - 70%
Oklahoma St - 80%

That would yield a 19.5% chance of an undefeated season heading into the Big XII CCG.

STAT GEEK ALERT!!! :D

olevetonahill
8/15/2007, 05:30 PM

So, since u r such a jeenius at purdictin' the future, why may I ask you ain't got none of that thur vCash? jeenius :)
Cause I done went All In on the Startin QB bet there Ienstien :P

olevetonahill
8/15/2007, 05:33 PM

Glad I cud hep ya out there , I know how hard it is to unnerstan simple things when ur so smart an all .

TheUnnamedSooner
8/15/2007, 05:36 PM
mathmatical equation:

14-0 = 12-0 regular season

olevetonahill
8/15/2007, 05:46 PM
mathmatical equation:

14-0 = 12-0 regular season
;) :)

josh09
8/16/2007, 10:02 AM
11-1 to 12-0 depending on that one game in Dallas.

josh09
8/16/2007, 10:09 AM
So who else could we lose to besides texass and thug U?

I say we own miami, and get some revenge on tejas, and then we have a fairly easy schedule after that.

12-0

sanantoniosooner
8/16/2007, 12:24 PM

I say we own miami, and get some revenge on tejas, and then we have a fairly easy schedule after that.

12-0
Exactly.

The fact that we shouldn't lose one is what scares me.

Statalyzer
8/16/2007, 07:09 PM

Tech is better than Miami and gets OU at home.

Most of the time however, OU plays well against Tech even in Lubbock.

Ash
8/16/2007, 07:53 PM

OU plays well against Tech even in Lubbock - it takes a ref to get the pirates a win.

fixed :texan:

KantoSooner
8/16/2007, 09:26 PM
Statalyzer, I like your approach, but I think you are giving us too much over Texas and can't for the life of me figure why you give OSU that much chance. You don't perchance actually BELIEVE that they will have the 'world's greatest offense', do you? Finally, no way Tech wins this year. Just no way.

josh09
8/16/2007, 10:59 PM

Most of the time however, OU plays well against Tech even in Lubbock.

Thats what i was thinking, were much better than we were in '05, and i dont know anything about Tech really, but i feel we should beat them by at least 2 touchdowns.

okcusooner
8/17/2007, 08:09 AM
I love how breaking in a new QB means we can't run the table to some as well.

Were you around in 1985 when Troy broke his leg?

I was around in 1985 when Jamelle stepped in for Troy. Jamelle stepped into
a veteran offensive line anchored by the Phillips brothers and Mark Hutson. Further, he had an ESTABLISHED all-world tight end in Keith Jackson.

The offense was also bolstered by a proven defense which included Tony Casillas, Darrell Reed, the return of Kevin Murphy, Dante Jones, Paul Migliazzo, Ricky Dixon. Oh yeah, and some guy named Bosworth.

Even still, OU didn't go into January 1st, 1986 in control of its destiny. Without the Tennessee upset of Miami in the Sugar Bowl, the 'canes would have been national champs.

The Maestro
8/17/2007, 10:29 AM
I was around in 1985 when Jamelle stepped in for Troy. Jamelle stepped into
a veteran offensive line anchored by the Phillips brothers and Mark Hutson. Further, he had an ESTABLISHED all-world tight end in Keith Jackson.

The offense was also bolstered by a proven defense which included Tony Casillas, Darrell Reed, the return of Kevin Murphy, Dante Jones, Paul Migliazzo, Ricky Dixon. Oh yeah, and some guy named Bosworth.

Even still, OU didn't go into January 1st, 1986 in control of its destiny. Without the Tennessee upset of Miami in the Sugar Bowl, the 'canes would have been national champs.

While the OU defense in 1985 was amazing (no touchdowns allowed in the month of November) I think our QB this year steps into a similar situation, just not in the middle of a game with an offense they are not geared to run like Jamelle did. We also have an experienced O-line that would compare to 1985. We have experienced tight ends again AND wide receivers. And we have three running backs that should take the pressure off the QB.

A quarterback that fails with THIS supporting cast was not meant to be a quarterback at OU.

okcusooner
8/17/2007, 11:47 AM
While the OU defense in 1985 was amazing (no touchdowns allowed in the month of November) I think our QB this year steps into a similar situation, just not in the middle of a game with an offense they are not geared to run like Jamelle did. We also have an experienced O-line that would compare to 1985. We have experienced tight ends again AND wide receivers. And we have three running backs that should take the pressure off the QB.

A quarterback that fails with THIS supporting cast was not meant to be a quarterback at OU.

I'm not sure about your basis for making this statement about the OL. OU's current offensive line is an unknown quantity. How can you compare an unknown to the excellence of the '85 line.

All media reports about how this could be one of the best lines in the country is mere speculation. I was at the Boise State game. That was certainly far from the best run blocking I've ever seen.

Duke Robinson has to prove that he can go a complete game w/o an illegal procedure penalty.

Braxton is returning from a broken leg.

Phil Loadholt is learning that mere size (360 lbs) isn't enough in Div. I unless is backed with solid technique.

Jon Cooper is really the only known quantity. That certainly can't be said of Brian Simmons or Trent Williams.

Hopefully, the rest of the players will fullfill expectations. But right now, there is no concrete indication that this offensive line will be in the same class as the '85 line.

The Maestro
8/17/2007, 12:01 PM
Well, I was at the Boise State game, too, and while, at first, it was disappointing, turnovers led to that slow start. We also got it going and even scored on our first play in overtime...Boise HAD to go for two because at that point in the game they were worn down and had no chance of stopping us.

Wipe out the first half of Boise and take a look at our O-line for the entire season. Our O-line is solid and most agree it is one of the best in the nation.

Dude...you are some kind of negative Nelly. That's okay...I know some people prefer to not get too hyped up, but this OU team has lots of talent all over the place. And that includes our offensive line.

soonerinabilene
8/17/2007, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure about your basis for making this statement about the OL. OU's current offensive line is an unknown quantity. How can you compare an unknown to the excellence of the '85 line.

All media reports about how this could be one of the best lines in the country is mere speculation. I was at the Boise State game. That was certainly far from the best run blocking I've ever seen.

Duke Robinson has to prove that he can go a complete game w/o an illegal procedure penalty.

Braxton is returning from a broken leg.

Phil Loadholt is learning that mere size (360 lbs) isn't enough in Div. I unless is backed with solid technique.

Jon Cooper is really the only known quantity. That certainly can't be said of Brian Simmons or Trent Williams.

Hopefully, the rest of the players will fullfill expectations. But right now, there is no concrete indication that this offensive line will be in the same class as the '85 line.

(nickzepp) add that to the fact that our coahes suc monkey balls and we are going to have a really crappy year(nickzepp)

Dude, watch the a&m game from last year and tell me you are not excited to see patrick running behind our oline. The first quarter of that game was some of the best running I have ever seen. Those guys have more experience and another offseason of scmitty under their belt.

canes4ever
8/17/2007, 08:38 PM
I gotta tell ya I do not know where we are at right now. We opened the spring with so many questions along with a new HC and now some are solved and others still linger. They should all be answered after the first 4-6 weeks. Our schedule is tough with 4 of our road games against top 20 teams.

The speed is there again and so is the D. Last year the rushing D was 4th in the nation,overall 7th,that should hold. Our OL has improved but how good are they? That's one of the questions. Like OU we have 3-4 excellent RBs and the quick receivers should loosen up some defenses.

What's a great year at UM? 10 and 2 with a top 10 finish. Will say ok to a BCS bowl and after last years finish a top 15 or 20 rank will be a improvement.

Looking forward to Sept 9th,lets play hard,have a good game and hold down the injuries,we both have difficult conferences.

The Maestro
8/18/2007, 01:42 PM
we both have difficult conferences.

Like hell you do. The ACC is about as weak as it gets right now. The league with Hawaii and Boise State is as good as the ACC these days.

BASSooner
8/19/2007, 09:38 PM
Like hell you do. The ACC is about as weak as it gets right now. The league with Hawaii and Boise State is as good as the ACC these days.
I'll have to agree. I mean, Wake Forest went to a BCS bowl to represent the ACC conference

SoonerKnight
8/20/2007, 02:47 AM
Better than saxet!!!

olevetonahill
8/20/2007, 03:40 AM
Ok
Im gonna go out on a limb here and say
18-6

Straz1999
8/20/2007, 06:48 AM
This is pretty stupid that I can't vote in the poll. Why is this??

sanantoniosooner
8/20/2007, 09:12 AM
This is pretty stupid that I can't vote in the poll. Why is this??
Don't take it personal.

We just don't like you.

Straz1999
8/20/2007, 09:08 PM
Don't take it personal.

We just don't like you.

Well at least you are honest.:confused:

Ash
8/20/2007, 09:18 PM
Ok
Im gonna go out on a limb here and say
18-6

:les: WTF!!?? DO YOU MEAN REGULAR SEASON AND POST SEASON OR THE REGULAR POST SEASON OR THE POST REGULAR SEASON!!???!!

Ash
8/20/2007, 09:19 PM
Well at least you are honest.:confused:

Heh. you don't know SAS very well.

olevetonahill
8/27/2007, 11:43 PM
:les: WTF!!?? DO YOU MEAN REGULAR SEASON AND POST SEASON OR THE REGULAR POST SEASON OR THE POST REGULAR SEASON!!???!!
You need to try to keep up !
Im thinkin more along the lines of the Post toasties season . Has that cleared it up fer ya ?
Dayum colege graduates !
Burn that there dayum degree :D

Octavian
8/31/2007, 03:04 PM
As of now, the SF 2007 prediction breakdown is as follows:

12-0: 46%

11-1: 27%

10-2: 19%

9-3: 3%

8-4: 2%

7-5: 2% (two OSU fans)

Last chance to go on record...

Voting closes soon because Kickoff is Tomorrow!

birddog
9/30/2007, 12:13 AM
welp, who's going to win the prize?

StoopTroup
9/30/2007, 02:41 AM
Kevin Wilson?

HTown77095
10/22/2007, 12:48 PM

Looks like me :)

See post #52

Sooner1979
10/22/2007, 01:02 PM
I am going to go out on a limb and say OU is 7-1 going into their bye week, the week before the A&M game...I say OU loses to Colorado, but then rallies until they have a sluggish game against a pathetic ISU that is 1-6 at the time...That game gives them a scare and they finish the regular season with a sense of urgency and beats an 11-0 Kansas team that is ranked in the Top 10 (I know, who would have thought)...Also, I am betting that OU doesnt lose a game after their upset loss to Colorado and go 48-0 in the next 4 seasons...

I might be going out on a limb here, but it is just an early season prediction...

Sooner1979
10/22/2007, 01:03 PM
I am going to go out on a limb and say OU is 7-1 going into their bye week, the week before the A&M game...I say OU loses to Colorado, but then rallies until they have a sluggish game against a pathetic ISU that is 1-6 at the time...That game gives them a scare and they finish the regular season with a sense of urgency and beats an 11-0 Kansas team that is ranked in the Top 10 (I know, who would have thought)...Also, I am betting that OU doesnt lose a game after their upset loss to Colorado and go 48-0 in the next 4 seasons...

I might be going out on a limb here, but it is just an early season prediction...

Man, what a prediction...I wish I could give myself pos. spek...:D

HTown77095
10/22/2007, 01:05 PM
I predict we will have zero turnovers and zero penalties this week :)

stoopified
10/22/2007, 01:26 PM
My between 10-2 and 12-0 prediction is right on target.At least for now.

A-M
10/22/2007, 01:48 PM

Sounds good to me. I'll buy it, that's for sure.