PDA

View Full Version : ****Offical 2007-08 Barclay's Premier League Thread******

Pages : 1 [2]

Cam
4/23/2008, 03:29 PM
Just checking your objectivity. ;)

The tackle from behind on Ronaldo was a pretty good example of the backlash on his earlier "dive every time I'm touched" days. Last time I checked, tackling from behind like that is still a foul. If Barca were on the receiving end, the fans would've been all over it.

Cam
4/23/2008, 03:34 PM
Boring freakin game. Barca should be disappointed they couldn't put a goal away.

Sets up nice for Man Utd on the return fixture. They'll play more of an attacking game at home. It'd be hard not to play more of an attacking game than they did today.

silverwheels
4/23/2008, 03:36 PM
Extremely boring game.

birddog
4/23/2008, 06:44 PM
so it ended at 0's?

Cam
4/23/2008, 07:29 PM
so it ended at 0's?

Yep

birddog
4/23/2008, 07:36 PM
geez, that's surprising and a great result for united. it's not very often that you hold barca scoreless at nou camp.

Cam
4/23/2008, 07:40 PM
Barca, for the most part, played very well today. They might be struggling in league, but they looked good today. Henry blistered Edwin's hands a couple of times. I think the possession stat was 65% to Barca.

Scott D
4/23/2008, 09:14 PM
geez, that's surprising and a great result for united. it's not very often that you hold barca scoreless at nou camp.

based on the way barca has played both at the nou camp and away recently, it hasn't been too difficult to hold them to 1 or 0 goals. Their forwards are really off on their form of late, and their back third have played hit and miss, but miss more often than not of late. It's the main reason that Real Madrid has won La Liga in all but mathematics already.

it seems that having messi out of the lineup is worse for them than having ronaldinho out. I think you'll see a barca side that is attacking more in the match at old tratford. And while they may lose Marquez for the return match, they are getting Carles Puyol back from his suspension.

Cam
4/24/2008, 11:03 AM
Messi played about 60 (I think) minutes yesterday. You could tell he was a little rusty. His passing pace was just a touch off. Banjou(sp) came in for him and didn't really do anything.

Scott D
4/24/2008, 07:52 PM
Messi played about 60 (I think) minutes yesterday. You could tell he was a little rusty. His passing pace was just a touch off. Banjou(sp) came in for him and didn't really do anything.

yeah it was Messi's second first squad appearance since coming back from a torn hamstring, he was a substitute in the second half last weekend in their league match. Bojan has a chance to be something special, but his decision making needs work. Not that anyone should really complain, the kid is only 17 years old and has to spend time during the week that other players may be training doing schoolwork as he's a senior in high school at this time.

I love having GolTV and being able to watch at least half the La Liga games along with some Bundesliga and Serie A every weekend.

Cam
4/24/2008, 08:46 PM
Bojan: Boy did butcher that name. :O

How bout Bayern Munich giving up an own goal for a 1-1 draw today.

I'm still trying to figure out how they got past Getafe. When I stopped watching that game, 10 men Getafe were working Bayern over left and right.

Scott D
4/25/2008, 09:23 AM
Bojan: Boy did butcher that name. :O

How bout Bayern Munich giving up an own goal for a 1-1 draw today.

I'm still trying to figure out how they got past Getafe. When I stopped watching that game, 10 men Getafe were working Bayern over left and right.

Well, similar to the 2006 Champions League final when Barcelona beat Arsenal, despite Getafe looking more inspired for virtually all of the match, Bayern just managed to wear them down enough. In the end Getafe had no answer for Luca Toni, and that's how they moved on.

Bayern is another team that is hard to figure out, like AC Milan they can look the world beaters one day and like rubbish the next. I still have trouble calling them Bayern Munich I was so used to calling them Bayern Monchen which I know is exactly the same thing, same with Munich 1860, always called them Monchen 1860. If only I could remember how to do umlauts those names would look more impressive ;)

silverwheels
4/25/2008, 12:41 PM
München?

Scott D
4/25/2008, 09:37 PM
one of the 3 spellings I've seen, I've seen the o with umlauts also.

illinisooner
4/28/2008, 04:22 PM
Arsenal hit 6 today at Derby, which was a hideously one sided game that ended up 6-2. It looked like a practice game, or more fittingly, OU vs. North Texas last fall. Adebayor got a hat trick, as he did in the last game vs. Derby...not sure of the last time someone's gotten a hat trick vs. the same team in a season. Definitely the sort of game that has me wondering what could have been, but also gets me really excited about next season. All the young kids are more experienced, and (hopefully) RVP, Rosicky, etc will all be healthy and ready to take the title from Man U or Chelski.

Interesting note: Benny Feilhaber (USA midfielder who scored the amazing gwg in the Gold Cup Final over Mexico) came on for Derby in the 2nd half and immediately looked like their most dangerous player. I've heard his attitude is the reason for the lack of PT, but they have 11 points...the kid needs to be playing. He's most likely gone after the season, apparently to Germany, but hopefully he features in the USA's super tripleheader this summer (at England, at Spain, vs. Argentina) as an audition for other clubs.

Cam
4/29/2008, 12:06 PM
Man Utd & Barca in an hour and a half.

WTF was SAF doing leaving Ronaldo and Tevez on the bench Saturday?

Any objective peeps want to give their opinion on the Chelsea PK? I thought it was a pretty cheesy call considering some of the other hits that could've been called a PK. But then again, I'm not very objective. :O

silverwheels
4/29/2008, 12:38 PM
It would be freakin' awesome if Barça could pull one out today, but I'm going with Man U 2-0 Barcelona.

Cam
4/29/2008, 01:56 PM
For some reason, the Man Utd players are having a harder time keeping their feet than the Barca players so far. You'd think it was the other way around.

Puyol is a phenomenal player. He's lost a step or two over the years, but still fun to watch him play.

Cam
4/29/2008, 02:00 PM
Scholes rips an upper 90 from 22-23 yards out in the 14th minute, against the run of play. That was one of those shots that you dream of hitting.

Man Utd 1
Barca 0

birddog
4/29/2008, 03:08 PM
bona fide beauty from scholes but barca looks like a shell of their former selves. they haven't done anything in the midfield and when they do, a quality ball isn't hitting the targets.

Cam
4/29/2008, 03:15 PM
Yeah, Scholes' goal was an absolute crack. I don't know how much better he could have hit it.

United needs to slot another one home and put away any doubt. They're playing with fire these last 25 minutes. I thought Nani was going to get one, but he sailed it into row Z after a nice long run.

silverwheels
4/29/2008, 03:16 PM
Puyol is a phenomenal player. He's lost a step or two over the years, but still fun to watch him play.

Yeah, I love watching Puyol.

I also loved it when Ronaldo took down Zambrotta and then got mad at him presumably because he thought the Italian was play acting. Irony at its finest.

birddog
4/29/2008, 03:28 PM
holy crap, euros begin in a month.

sweet diggity.

silverwheels
4/29/2008, 03:39 PM
Well damn. Barça looked like crap for most of the game. They just can't finish their chances.

Looks like Man U vs. Chelsea in Moscow, unless Liverpool can pull off a miracle. Weak. Sauce.

Cam
4/29/2008, 03:39 PM
And it's final.

Man Utd 1
Barca 0

Barca really pressed the issue the last 15-20 minutes but couldn't do much of anything inside the offensive 3rd.

An all English final in Moscow in a couple of weeks.

Cam
4/30/2008, 09:51 AM
For as much chit as I've given him, I have to give credit where credit is due. Wes Brown had a hell of a game yesterday. Quite possibly his best in a Man Utd kit.

It really, really, really pains me to say that...

birddog
4/30/2008, 10:48 AM
today's match should be a heater.

i see chelsea pulling out a victory at the end. or as john motson likes to say, "in the dying embers of the game."

silverwheels
4/30/2008, 01:45 PM
Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool

:(

Cam
4/30/2008, 02:15 PM
Good game so far, each side pushing for a goal. Drogba pulled a 1x1 just wide and Cech stuffed Torres from a bad angle for Torres.

Thanks to Riise, Rafa can't play the circle the wagons game.

Scott D
4/30/2008, 02:18 PM
and now Rafa has to go all out, with the Drogba goal off of the rebound of the Kalou shot.

Cam
4/30/2008, 02:19 PM
1-0 Chelsea

Reina makes a good save but didn't push it wide enough. Drogba pounces and puts it in the lower corner. He then proceeds to do a knee slide in front of the Pool bench while looking right at Rafa.

silverwheels
4/30/2008, 02:33 PM
I predicted 1-0 to Chelsea, but I didn't expect them to get that goal in the first half. I bet they get another one to seal the deal.

Scott D
4/30/2008, 02:34 PM
And to think, the options were there for another side to steal Drogba earlier in the season.

Scott D
4/30/2008, 02:34 PM
I predicted 1-0 to Chelsea, but I didn't expect them to get that goal in the first half. I bet they get another one to seal the deal.

I could see them scoring 2 more potentially. They've definitely looked the more dangerous side. Pepe's getting no help.

silverwheels
4/30/2008, 02:37 PM
They probably could. Liverpool has no bite right now. Their best scoring chance was Torres going too deep and putting himself at a poor angle.

Cam
4/30/2008, 02:37 PM
I could see them scoring 2 more potentially. They've definitely looked the more dangerous side. Pepe's getting no help.

Pepe got flat out drilled in the 1st half.

Was Kalou offsides? Kind of looked like it on the replay. At least it will give Rafa something to bitch about during his presser.

Cam
4/30/2008, 03:05 PM
Torres pulls it level in the 64th minute. We're back to PK's if this holds.

silverwheels
4/30/2008, 03:07 PM
El Niñoooooooooooo!!!!!

Scott D
4/30/2008, 03:15 PM
Chelsea looking a lot like they did against Man U over the weekend, difference is that what Liverpool has on the field offensively is more creative than what Man U had out there on Saturday.

silverwheels
4/30/2008, 03:21 PM
The tables have completely turned here in the 2nd half. Awesome to see.

Scott D
4/30/2008, 03:31 PM
tis a shame that both managers would rather see this game go to penalties than to actually try and win.

silverwheels
4/30/2008, 03:37 PM
tis a shame that both managers would rather see this game go to penalties than to actually try and win.

Yeah, I've always hated penalties. Crappy way to win and crappier way to lose.

Here's to hoping that Captain Fantastic can hit a strike from about 25-30 yards out. :D

Cam
4/30/2008, 03:45 PM
Chelsea has a goal taken away as they had 4 guys inside the 6 yard box in front of Pepe.

Pool should've scored 3-4 minutes ago.

Chelsea's been given a PK for a late tackle.

silverwheels
4/30/2008, 03:45 PM
Dammit.

GrapevineSooner
4/30/2008, 03:48 PM
He's taking Torres out?!@!!#!#$!$BDD!~!!!!!

Cam
4/30/2008, 03:49 PM
Rafa took out Torres? WTF? Is he trying to seal his fate?

Liverpool has nobody but themselves to blame if they don't pull this out. They've had some very good chances in the 8-10 yard range and have came up short on each of them.

silverwheels
4/30/2008, 03:51 PM
Rafa took out Torres? WTF? Is he trying to seal his fate?

Apparently. :(

silverwheels
4/30/2008, 03:53 PM
Drobga gets #2. Ballgame.

Goodbye, Rafa.

Cam
4/30/2008, 03:53 PM
Drogba gets his brace to put this game away.

That was a nice goal. Looked like Anelka was offsides though.

GrapevineSooner
4/30/2008, 03:56 PM
Well.....

Go Stars!!!

Cam
4/30/2008, 04:08 PM
Bable scores to make it interesting.

If L'Pool can put another one in in the next 3-4 minutes they're thru to Moscow.

silverwheels
4/30/2008, 04:09 PM
Could have used that goal earlier, but at least they haven't given up.

Cam
4/30/2008, 04:10 PM
Sammy's plea for a PK was kind of lame IMO. Looked like a flop to me.

Cam
4/30/2008, 04:12 PM
It's over.

Man Utd Vs Chelsea in Moscow on the 21st.

silverwheels
4/30/2008, 04:13 PM
Meh. I guess go Chelsea? Would rather see them get their first than United get another.

Cam
4/30/2008, 04:15 PM
Meh. I guess go Chelsea? Would rather see them get their first than United get another.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

silverwheels
4/30/2008, 04:16 PM
I know, man. It's depressing.

Scott D
4/30/2008, 04:38 PM

I hate everything about both teams...but I'm sure that I hate Chelsea more than Manchester...despite them being vicious rivals with Newcastle back in the 90s earlier in this decade.

birddog
4/30/2008, 08:10 PM
i don't mind chelsea winning if avram is the manager and mourinho has to see him accomplish something he couldn't with the blues.

Scott D
5/1/2008, 10:19 AM
Winning that is about the only way Avram keeps his job. Then again, I think it's likely Abramovich fires him anyway especially if Rijkaard is let go by Barca.

Cam
5/1/2008, 11:40 AM
It'd be nice to see a couple more pieces of silverware brought to Old Trafford.

Glory Glory Man Utd.

silverwheels
5/1/2008, 04:43 PM
Zenit St. Petersburg vs. Rangers in the UEFA Cup Final.

Zenit demolished Bayern Munich at home, 4-0, while Rangers and Fiorentina went to penalties after a 0-0 aggregate score, with Rangers advancing 4-2.

Cam
5/1/2008, 04:52 PM
Missed the Zenit/Bayern Munich game.

Rangers played the entire game for PK's. Fiorentina botched quite a few chances in the offensive 3rd.

silverwheels
5/1/2008, 04:55 PM
Zenit isn't the best-looking team out there, but they get the job done. Looking forward to seeing them in the Champions League next year.

illinisooner
5/1/2008, 08:50 PM
I hate everything about both teams...but I'm sure that I hate Chelsea more than Manchester...despite them being vicious rivals with Newcastle back in the 90s earlier in this decade.

I'm right there with ya...can't stand either one of those teams. As with most games involved 2 teams I despise, I'll hope for a good game and root for whichever team is behind. I think Man U has the advantage, although with Abramovich owning Chelski, and the final being in Moscow...hey, who knows? I think it was an odd decision by UEFA to hold the final there, given the visa problems the fans are currently having (Did they not think about this?), and the high cost of travelling there. It probably won't be an amazing game to watch, given Chelsea's style of play and recent history between the two sides (last year's forgettable FA Cup Final), but obviously I'll still watch.

Cam
5/11/2008, 10:53 AM
And Man Utd wins the EPL on goal differential.

Chelsea still has a couple of minutes to give up an equalizer, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Cam
5/11/2008, 10:57 AM
Fulham win at Portsmouth to ensure top flight footy for another year.

Reading, despite winning the final game of the season, are relegated.

Boro up on Man City 8-1. Damn.

In the 93rd minute, Bolton gets the equalizer.

Man Utd win the league outright.

Scott D
5/11/2008, 12:08 PM
Winning that is about the only way Avram keeps his job. Then again, I think it's likely Abramovich fires him anyway especially if Rijkaard is let go by Barca.

well half this equation is in place with Rijkaard stepping down after next weekend's final match. Add that with Chelsea looking absolutely pedestrian today and you have Avram Grant likely out of a job even if he wins the Champions League final against Manchester United (which I doubt)

Cam
5/11/2008, 12:16 PM
You think Rijkaard would go to Chelsea? I'm having a hard time understanding why any top flight Mngr would go there. Too much intrusion from Abramovich IMO.

Scott D
5/11/2008, 06:38 PM
Not saying Rijkaard would go there, in fact rumor is he's probably going to take at least this upcoming year off from managing if not two years. I think Abramovich would go after him because he manages that 'sexy' style of football that he wants played...not to mention with Rijkaard's preferred formation Sheva would actually get more playing time, and that seems to be Roman's biggest motivation.

Cam
5/12/2008, 02:49 PM
Rumors have Avram leaving on his own following the CL final.

Should we just start call you Nostradamus? ;)

Scott D
5/12/2008, 04:14 PM
Rumors have Avram leaving on his own following the CL final.

Should we just start call you Nostradamus? ;)

lol....only if it means I can find the right players to fit in at Newcastle and give us our first trophy in damn near forever ;)

Players rumored to be heading out of the Nou Camp btw.

Ronaldinho - Milan/Inter
Sam Eto'o - Man City/Inter
Zambrotta - Italy
Deco - England/Portugal/Italy
Gio Dos Santos - Man City
Liliam Thuram - (not rumored, he is leaving as out of contract this summer)
Thierry Henry - depends on the rumor, some have him available for $16M others say he'll remain at Barca and get to play in his more preferred central attacking role than as a left wing forward role.

Also with as much as I dislike Real Madrid, I have to give Wesley Sneijder some props. He busted up talks between Real Madrid and Ajax for his younger brother. He wants his brother to get some playing time with Ajax's first team before foreign teams come in to steal him away from the Dutch Eredivisie.

Cam
5/15/2008, 08:11 PM
There's now talk of Dos Santos talking to Chelsea as well.

illinisooner
5/20/2008, 10:41 AM
The transfer rumors in soccer are the most ridiculous and unsubstantiated rumors in sports. If any player at any club is any good, he's "linked" to another club at some point during the year. I'd almost rather not look at soccer news until the season starts and find out which teams picked up which players, rather than read all these rumors. Oh well, as long as Arsenal doesn't lose any good players (outside of Flamini), it's fine. Ronaldo is linked to Real Madrid, Eto'o to Spurs (haha), Robihno to Chelsea...it never ends!

As for the Champs League final tomorrow, I've got to give the edge to United. Mainly because Terry and Drogba are "doubtful", and they're two huge players for the Blues. United has the edge in experience (players and manager) and are arguably playing with less pressure. It probably won't be an amazing game to watch; I could easily see it going to penalties.

Scott D
5/20/2008, 10:42 AM
my favorite rumors are guys that are linked to new teams despite not even being first squad choices for their current side.

birddog
5/21/2008, 01:47 PM
champions league final just kicked off.

Scott D
5/21/2008, 02:05 PM
manu in a standard 4-4-2 against the 4-5-1 of chelsea.

so gets the first yellow card...wes brown or michael essien? :D

GrapevineSooner
5/21/2008, 02:10 PM
Nope.

Scholes and Makelele. :D

Scott D
5/21/2008, 02:12 PM
hehe...I meant between those two yellow card magnets.

Cristiano Ronaldo with a great header, Cech didn't have a chance. 1-0 Manchester

silverwheels
5/21/2008, 02:19 PM
Man, I hate C. Ronaldo, but that was what a header was supposed to look like. Unlikely Wes Brown with the pinpoint cross and Ronaldo put it exactly where it needed to be.

Cech coming up huge twice in a row there.

GrapevineSooner
5/21/2008, 02:33 PM
And Chelski is level after Lampard scores.

silverwheels
5/21/2008, 02:33 PM
Nice goal by Lampard to even it up. And by "nice goal", I mean "terrible defensive breakdown by Manchester United". Got a hell of a game here.

OUsooner1
5/21/2008, 02:46 PM
Is it just me or does it seem that Chelsea keeps getting lucky breaks and bounces?? I still say Liverpool should be in the final. Hopefully ManU can put it away in the second half.

GrapevineSooner
5/21/2008, 02:47 PM
I've always thought lucky bounces are the result of hard work. ;)

Scott D
5/21/2008, 04:02 PM
well considering how bad this pitch appears to be (partially due to the fact it's raining, besides being a grass pitch on top of an artificial turf pitch). It's been interesting. However, the announcing has begun lacking once Clarence Seedorf left the English booth for the Spanish booth.

Scott D
5/21/2008, 04:12 PM
And Drogba gets the red card for slapping Vidic in front of the referee. I guess it'll make his end at Chelsea memorable. Now can Manchester United do something with 11 against 10.

and Essien gets a yellow before Wes Brown. :D

tommieharris91
5/21/2008, 04:25 PM
ManU can't do nuthin up a man.

Goes to PKs.

Scott D
5/21/2008, 04:28 PM
and Cristiano Ronaldo puts it off of Cech's face.

Scott D
5/21/2008, 04:31 PM
John Terry slips as he shoots and it goes wide.

Scott D
5/21/2008, 04:35 PM
Van Der Sar stops Nicolas Anelka and Manchester United win the Champions League on penalties.

GrapevineSooner
5/21/2008, 04:36 PM
Well, they pulled off the double.

soonerscuba
5/21/2008, 04:51 PM
Ugh. Is there a worse way to win a championship in all of sports?

silverwheels
5/21/2008, 04:59 PM

Nope.

F Manchester United.

Scott D
5/21/2008, 05:00 PM

a basketball game that they decided to pick the winner based on shooting 10 free throws :D

illinisooner
5/21/2008, 05:54 PM
I like the PK shootout...as long as my team isn't involved! I feel bad for Terry, the wet pitch/slip basically cost him the game winning goal...but I don't feel too bad for him. Definitely a better final than I thought it would be, now the wait until Euro 2008 begins...or the USA's ridiculous 3 friendlies starting in a week. At England, at Spain, and "home" vs. Argentina...yikes. I'll be at the England game, but that's it.

SoonerDood
5/21/2008, 07:24 PM
So does Chelsea complete the Treble Horror? 2nd in the Premiership, 2nd in Champions League, and 2nd in the League Cup.

birddog
5/21/2008, 11:02 PM
now the wait until Euro 2008 begins....

here are the groups....

http://en.euro2008.uefa.com/

silverwheels
5/22/2008, 01:07 AM
I like John Terry, but this is too funny not to post:

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/4903/2116413attachez5.jpg

Scott D
5/22/2008, 09:13 AM
I like the PK shootout...as long as my team isn't involved! I feel bad for Terry, the wet pitch/slip basically cost him the game winning goal...but I don't feel too bad for him. Definitely a better final than I thought it would be, now the wait until Euro 2008 begins...or the USA's ridiculous 3 friendlies starting in a week. At England, at Spain, and "home" vs. Argentina...yikes. I'll be at the England game, but that's it.

If I was Terry, I'd be livid with the reportedly soon to be gone Didier Drogba. If Drogba doesn't slap Vidic and get the red card for it, then he's that 5th PK taker and Chelsea win.

SoonerDood
5/22/2008, 11:56 AM
I think Ron = A-Rod, his brilliant goal notwithstanding.

Cam
5/22/2008, 07:42 PM
A couple thoughts on the CL Final

1) That pitch was complete ****. You have one game that's to decide the European Club Championship and that's the best you can do? Russia should NEVER get another CL Final.

2) What the hell started the spat that Drogba pulled a bonehead move? Was it just that Tevez kicked out of bounds instead of to Cech? If so, that's a very lame thing to get ****y about.

3) Ballack is a d i c k. His attitude seems to have gotten worse and worse as this season has progressed.

4) Man Utd could've easily been up 3-0 in the first 40 minutes. If not for Cech, the game's over before half time.

5) Would've been nice to see Giggsy put away the winner. Damnit JT. :(

6) Good to see Scholes get a winners medal. Sucks he had to do it with tampons stuck in his nostrils.

7) Ronaldo's goal was pretty damn sweet. Hell of a time for him to pop his cherry against Chelsea.

8) Since SAF's already been knighted, what will the Queen bestow upon him now.

9) This was the only good thing that happened in my day yesterday.

Glory Glory Man United

http://www.popartuk.com/g/l/lgsp0432+man-utd-premiership-champions-200607-manchester-united-poster.jpg

http://www.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/67/285x214/45262_1.jpg

http://footballocks.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/new_home_kit.jpg

Scott D
5/24/2008, 11:23 PM
And the petulant whinny crybabby Russian drops the boot.

Grant sacked as Chelsea manager

Updated: May 24, 2008, 2:40 PM ET

Chelsea have started their search for a new manager after sacking Avram Grant on Saturday.

Grant, who replaced Jose Mourinho last September, was expected to be removed from his post following Chelsea's failure to win a trophy for the first time in three seasons.

The 52-year-old Israeli found it hard to come to terms with being thrust into the spotlight and although he guided Chelsea into their first Champions League final, the penalty shoot-out defeat in Moscow last Wednesday paved the way for his departure.

After two days of meetings, Chelsea confirmed their decision in a statement.

It read: 'Chelsea can confirm that Avram Grant has had his contract as manager terminated today.

'This follows meetings over the last two days. Everybody at Chelsea FC would like to thank Avram for his contribution since taking over as manager last September.

'We will now be concentrating all our efforts on identifying a new manager for Chelsea and there will be no further comment until that appointment is made.' Grant joined the club last summer from Portsmouth to take up the post of director of football.'

Then manager Mourinho, whose relationship with the board was already fractious, was unhappy with the appointment.

Mourinho was later dismissed after their 1-1 draw with Rosenborg at Stamford Bridge in their opening Champions League game.

Grant, who had never managed a club in England, was asked to takeover and later given a four-year contract.

A close friend of the club's billionaire owner Roman Abramovich, Grant's brief reign was tainted by reports of anti-Semitic abuse but remarkably he equalled a nine-match winning run set by Mourinho's side two years earlier.

Grant brought in Henk ten Cate as his assistant as well as new fitness and goalkeeping staff.

But his appointment was never really accepted by the fans, who steadfastly refused to chant his name until the final game of the season, and his sour-faced demeanour did him few favours.

He was also criticised for being tactically inept but guided the club to the final of the Carling Cup in February only to lose 2-1 to Tottenham.

But remarkably, Chelsea pushed Manchester United to the wire in the race for the Premier League and earned a place in their first Champions League final against Sir Alex Ferguson's side.

But his entire spell in charge was littered with speculation that he was just a stop-gap appointment and that he would leave in the summer.

Chelsea consistently denied they had plans to change their manager but the deafening silence from the club's board after Wednesday's defeat by United, told its own story.

Both chief-executive Peter Kenyon and chairman Bruce Buck paved the way for change by insisting that Chelsea's performance this season was simply 'not good enough'.

Buck said: 'We have very high expectations at Chelsea and a couple of second place finishes is just not good enough for us - so although we never would have thought in September when Jose Mourinho left that we would be able to make it into a Champions League Final as we did - and that is fantastic - Chelsea are here to win trophies. So although it was an excellent season, we are still disappointed.'

A series of discussions finally resolved Grant's future and it is understood the Israeli said his farewells to the players on Friday - telling them it had been a 'privilege' to manage the team.

Cam
5/25/2008, 04:26 PM
And the petulant whinny crybabby Russian drops the boot.

That's gotta be one hard dude to work for.

Scott D
5/25/2008, 06:05 PM
hah you should see what i blogged about him.

Cam
5/25/2008, 08:37 PM
PM me the URL?

Scott D
5/25/2008, 10:15 PM
it wasn't anything too major, I just suggested that in the 'Now Hiring' sign they're putting in the window there be a job requirement listed that says 'Must play Sheva 300% more than he deserves to maintain safe job status'.

Cam
5/27/2008, 04:34 PM
* May 2008
* October 2004

Take a little break? ;)

Scott D
5/27/2008, 08:34 PM
Take a little break? ;)

the 2004 was a transplant from a defunct blog.

birddog
5/28/2008, 07:28 AM
illini, i fully expect a detailed match report along with pics from the friendly tonight.

birddog
5/28/2008, 07:21 PM
jobs suck! final from the friendly in wembley please?

Scott D
5/28/2008, 07:43 PM
2-0 England.

The Americans looked pretty pedestrian with the English pressuring almost constantly.

silverwheels
5/28/2008, 08:07 PM
We had no attacking presence at all with Altidore not there, and our central midfield was horrible. The defense played fairly well (outside of the Gerrard goal) considering that everywhere else on the field played horribly.

Scott D
5/28/2008, 11:28 PM
this was a classic post.

Landon Donovan is reportedly suffering from tightness in his groin ahead of tomorrow's England v. USA match at Wembley Stadium.

Honestly, is there anything quite as symbolic of this man's career as the fact that he's having trouble in his groin area prior to a big match in Europe? Would we be hearing about this injury if Wednesday's match were being played in California instead of England? It's as if you just say the word "Europe" around ol' Landycakes, and he tightens right up.

Yes, England v. USA might be just a friendly, but it's the first in a three-game set that will measure just how good this U.S. men's national team is prior to the start of World Cup Qualifying. Plus, the English squad is still struggling with its inability to qualify for EURO 2008, so they might be ripe for the picking here.

What chance does this U.S. side have, though, if its all-time leading scorer and supposed best player suddenly feels a twinge in his crotch the day before the game?

Perhaps Bob Bradley should blood the youngsters a bit more in these upcoming friendlies. They're more likely to carry this team into the next two World Cups than Landycakes is.

Cam
5/30/2008, 03:10 PM
Funny post on LD.

I wasn't impressed with any aspect of our MNT's play against England. The only decent player on the field was Guzan. He made a couple of nice saves in the 2nd half. Although he looked really bad on Gerrard's goal. The rest looked like they were just happy to be there.

Eddie Johnson looked like a fish out of water. He had 1 good shot the entire game and couldn't hold onto the ball. He got pushed off the ball at every turn. Josh Wolff, why is he still in the Nat'l Team pool? He might as well have pulled up a lawn chair and sat and watched the game from the sideline, he would've contributed just as much.

illinisooner
5/30/2008, 05:42 PM
My seat was in the 19th row on the endline, about 20 feet to the left of the corner flag...right on the dividing line between the US and England section. Definitely an experience, an England international at Wembley, but not quite the one I was looking for. I watched the replay that night and we looked just as bad as I remembered. What was really surprising to me is how apathetic the English fans and media were towards the US team. You'd think they were playing a B team friendly at Craven Cottage against Iceland or some ridiculous country. Granted, the US performance convinced them of what they already believed, but I expected a little more out of them. Cricket dominated the headlines; the only real story to come out of our game was JT scoring and pretending like it made up for his miss in Moscow.

Bone
6/5/2008, 11:43 AM
Euro 2008 predictions?

A
Portugal
Czech Rep.

B
Germany
Croatia

C
Italy
France

D
Spain
Sweden

Cam
6/5/2008, 08:17 PM
Sven coaching Mexico should prove to be good entertainment in the coming months.

Bone
6/5/2008, 10:09 PM
Sven coaching Mexico should prove to be good entertainment in the coming months.

Ya, I don't think that will last long.

Scott D
6/5/2008, 11:53 PM
maybe Shinawara can buy Mexico and fire Sven again :D