PDA

View Full Version : Scrimmage

Norman Sooner
8/11/2007, 11:46 AM
Is the scrimmage covered anywhere on the radio or anything?

Seamus
8/11/2007, 12:03 PM
d00d -- you're in Norman! Get thee to the Focker!

pb4ou
8/11/2007, 12:31 PM
It's not on the radio on the Dallas station that broadcasts OU games.

Phantasm
8/11/2007, 12:48 PM
There is no live media coverage for the scrimmage. From the SoonerSports.com site:

"Fan Information for Saturday Scrimmage

OU Athletics announces gates, other helpful guidelines for Saturday scrimmage.
Aug. 8, 2007
NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma will host its first open scrimmage of the 2007 football season Saturday. The athletics department has announced information that will be of assistance to fans planning to attend the event.
• Start time is 11 a.m.
• There is no admission charge.
• Fans should enter through gate 1 or gate 7. All other gates will be closed.
• Gates will open at 9:30 a.m.
• Rosters will be distributed free of charge at the gates. Fans also can print the roster (http://www.collegesports.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/okla/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/20070802_roster) available at SoonerSports.com
• Seating will be in the lower east and west seating bowls.
• Concessions will be located on the east and with a portable on the west near gate 1.
• Restrooms will be available on the east side and mid level west on either side of the Santee Lounge.
• There is no access to the west concourse, south end zone or upper decks.
• Prohibited items are the same as what is normally prohibited for a game. In addition, cameras are not permitted in the stadium during scrimmages. Fans may bring a clear, empty bottle that can be filled inside the stadium.
• The Switzer Center will be closed as construction continues on that facility."

tulsaoilerfan
8/11/2007, 01:13 PM
Any updates from those brave enough to tackle the heat?

snp
8/11/2007, 01:51 PM
Defense dominated. Lots of check down passes from all the QBs to the RBs. The TEs were more involved and that's something that'll become evident during the season. Marcus Walker had a nice pick, Demarco had a fumble. Hartley kicked about a 62 yard field goal. Kelley had a great TD grab and GUUUUTE had a nice scamper for about a 40 yard TD run.

Collier11
8/11/2007, 01:51 PM
I was not there but heard from someone that was that our D looks beastly, that Nichol by far had the best day and that bradford really dissappointed!

snp
8/11/2007, 02:00 PM
I'd say Nichol had the best day as well. He got a lot of reps with first team offense. At one point he escaped outta the pocket and before he could scramble the coaches blew the whistle. You woulda thought Gordon Reese walked into the building, pretty funny.

Flagstaffsooner
8/11/2007, 02:02 PM
Hartley kicked about a 62 yard field goal. Holy sh**!

stonecoldsoonerfan
8/11/2007, 02:08 PM
imo, the best part of our team today was unquestionable the kicking game, both punting and placekicking. i thought that basically bradford was as good passing as nichol. at least one of his picks was due to the wr not fighting for the ball. nichol is going to be dangerous in the I formation on playaction. he definitely takes off running if he sees that it's to his advantage. seemed like the running game out of the shotgun was basically worthless. we loaded at rb. don't see how all the rb's we have + the highly rated rb's we have coming in are all going to stay here or stay at rb. not enough carries to go around.

Ash
8/11/2007, 02:33 PM
Soonersports.com has Gute's run at 53 yards. Unfortunately, I missed that one.

I'd pretty much agree with SNP's assessment, and yes the premature whistle on Nichol's scramble was funny. Everyone in the section I was in were pretty disappointed, it looked like he was just getting started.

About the TE's, I thought I saw Gresham split wide on a few plays. Kind of cool to see the TEs more involved and in multiple ways.

Murray didn't have as impressive a game as in spring and coughed it up on one play. Madu looked pretty good, had some good runs.

There were a few very impressive hard hits, mostly involving RBs.

Collier11
8/11/2007, 02:39 PM
Stat wise:
Nichol 8/16 1TD
Halzle 12/21 1td
Bradford 11/18 1int

Second hand I hear that NIchol moved the offense the most, halzle hit some big plays, and bradford struggled moving the ball

usmc-sooner
8/11/2007, 02:42 PM
I went and IMO Nichol looked the best, Hazle looked good and Bradford had a bad day. The Defense looked great. Walker had an awesome int. For some reason it looked to me that Bradford was just off today, in the first half he seemed like he just hung on to the ball too long.

Collier11
8/11/2007, 03:33 PM
so this does basically nothing for those I heard that recommended that the coaches might cut one qb after today out of the competition?

usmc-sooner
8/11/2007, 04:04 PM
so this does basically nothing for those I heard that recommended that the coaches might cut one qb after today out of the competition?

who knows

they are going to have to do it pretty quick.

oumartin
8/11/2007, 04:20 PM
I would tell J.H. that he is still in the running but in my mind since this is his last year he is gonna be my back up. I would let Nichol and Bradford fight it out to the bitter end. Of course that will mean less reps all the way around and that might not be good

StoopTroup
8/11/2007, 04:41 PM
They could Redshirt Nichol and play Bradford right?

MojoRisen
8/11/2007, 05:11 PM
If Nichol is the best play him - Landry Jones comes in next year as it is.

Nichol is a dual threat as well - Kelley was qouted that Nichol has the most zip on his passes- Also Wilson and Huepel both said they are meeting tomorrow to go over who should start getting more reps and it will be discussion number 1.

goingoneight
8/11/2007, 05:30 PM
Halzle is a Junior and has both a redshirt and a greyshirt. However, methinks they won't use it. They'll want to hold back someone probably more talented to develop like Nichol and Box (limited schollies for the future).

Zing
8/11/2007, 05:59 PM
Defense dominated. Lots of check down passes from all the QBs to the RBs. The TEs were more involved and that's something that'll become evident during the season. Marcus Walker had a nice pick, Demarco had a fumble. Hartley kicked about a 62 yard field goal. Kelley had a great TD grab and GUUUUTE had a nice scamper for about a 40 yard TD run.

I remember somebody yelling "THROW IT TO THE TIGHT END" at the coaches early on. :rolleyes: And the "GUUUUUUUTE" was nice. Us sooners really need someone for whom we can unleash the "uuuuu" sound.

stoopified
8/11/2007, 08:20 PM
Let's roll.

SoonerBOI
8/11/2007, 08:34 PM
I miss Norman, Oklahoma already. Anyway, Boomer Sooner!

Rhino
8/11/2007, 09:26 PM
I don't think any of our QBs looked great or bad. Nichol's legs give him an added dimension over the other two and that's exciting when people can't touch you. I told TopDawg some people would say Nichol had a much better scrimmage than the other two, but in reality he wasn't that much better than the other two. Bradford threw the INT, but it wasn't a bad throw - the ref should've called PI on Walker for impeding the WR route. Halzle looked steady enough, but I don't see him being anything more than a paper #2 guy.

Gute had a nice day. Murray wasn't as impressive as he was in the spring. Brown didn't play much. Madu needs another year or two -- or a position change.

Kelly's catch in the corner of the north endzone was fantastic. (And you can't blame Walker because his coverage couldn't have been much better.) Tennell played well too.

The O-line was kinda hard to read because Braxton was out and different combinations were being tried. They're at a bit of a disadvantage going against their own defense, but they still need to open up better holes.

The D-line got some good pressure, especially the DEs.

Lofton, Reynolds & Harris all played well. And the defense in general laid some solid, sound tackles throughout the scrimmage. That was good to see.

I didn't notice a blown coverage all day from our secondary. We'll see if the Four Corners defensive backfield sticks. It was encouraging to see Wolfe's play lauded by Stoops and Holmes rack up the stats.

Knall booted some punts and Hartley looked impressive. Don't put too much stock into the 62-yard, no line in front of him punt though. I think he (DiCarlo too) have done something similar in every scrimmage he's been in here.

Ash
8/11/2007, 09:35 PM
I don't think any of our QBs looked great or bad. Nichol's legs give him an added dimension over the other two and that's exciting when people can't touch you. I told TopDawg some people would say Nichol had a much better scrimmage than the other two, but in reality he wasn't that much better than the other two. Bradford threw the INT, but it wasn't a bad throw - the ref should've called PI on Walker for impeding the WR route. Halzle looked steady enough, but I don't see him being anything more than a paper #2 guy.

Gute had a nice day. Murray wasn't as impressive as he was in the spring. Brown didn't play much. Madu needs another year or two -- or a position change.

Kelly's catch in the corner of the north endzone was fantastic. (And you can't blame Walker because his coverage couldn't have been much better.) Tennell played well too.

The O-line was kinda hard to read because Braxton was out and different combinations were being tried. They're at a bit of a disadvantage going against their own defense, but they still need to open up better holes.

Lofton, Reynolds & Harris all played well. And the defense in general laid some solid, sound tackles throughout the scrimmage. That was good to see.

I didn't notice a blown coverage all day from our secondary. We'll see if the Four Corners defensive backfield sticks. It was encouraging to see Wolfe's play lauded by Stoops and Holmes rack up the stats.

Knall booted some punts and Hartley looked impressive. Don't put too much stock into the 62-yard, no line in front of him punt though. I think he (DiCarlo too) have done something similar in every scrimmage he's been in here.

I thought Tennell looked pretty good in the Spring as well. Where does he sit on the depth chart as of now, and is there a chance he's moving up?

Davis seemed to be in on lots of plays from the DL.

Bradford had a sub-par day IMHO, I was a bit surprised he didn't do better. I agree the pick was not all on him, but he seemed a little out of sync in the other snaps as well. Held on to the ball too long a few times, maybe a little tentative or indecisive which is surprising to me because it was the opposite in the Spring.

Rhino
8/11/2007, 09:42 PM
Tennell is right behind Kelly on the depth chart. They'll still get him on the field often.

Davis had three sacks on the day, which is crazy since he was fullback last season and wasn't even talked about being in the DE rotation until today.

Oh, and Brian Jackson looks much bigger than 6'1", 190. MUCH bigger.

Zing
8/11/2007, 09:55 PM
Honestly, I thought that Halzle played the best of the quarterbacks today. He and Nichols were the only ones who put together drives, but he in particular seemed better at keeping the offense on the field.

oumartin
8/11/2007, 09:56 PM
what do you know? ;)

Zing
8/11/2007, 10:05 PM
what do you know? ;)

I just went to a Vaudeville show. :D

StuIsTheMan
8/11/2007, 10:08 PM
what do you know? ;)

Nothing...I know No thing

who's got the answer?

oumartin
8/11/2007, 10:17 PM
Do you even know what a football looks like Stu? :D

PLaw
8/12/2007, 08:02 AM
Is the scrimmage covered anywhere on the radio or anything?

1) Why in the name of Bud Wilkinson would anybody broadcast what they are putting into the schemes for the upcoming season? A scrimmage is far different than the Red-White game. Better to keep others guessing than serving this info on a silver platter.

2) You're in Norman, it's free, and the weather will be great. Take a few hours off from the PGA and go get a first hand look. Then you can report out to the great SOONER NATION what you observed.

BOOMER
PLaw

KantoSooner
8/12/2007, 08:19 AM
Won't let that hang: Sooner!
And double on 'get thyselves to the scrimmage'
Whole world of us out here hanging on the every word of those who can go.

sooner518
8/12/2007, 08:27 AM
Whole world of us out here hanging on the every word of those who can go.
haha its sad but true

Norman Sooner
8/12/2007, 09:00 AM
1) Why in the name of Bud Wilkinson would anybody broadcast what they are putting into the schemes for the upcoming season? A scrimmage is far different than the Red-White game. Better to keep others guessing than serving this info on a silver platter.

2) You're in Norman, it's free, and the weather will be great. Take a few hours off from the PGA and go get a first hand look. Then you can report out to the great SOONER NATION what you observed.

BOOMER
PLaw

Im glad that since im in norman, that means i can go to everything. Man if my only obligation in this life was to go to OU sporting events, that would be great..

And im not so sure that anyone would get much from radio coverage. But i guess you never know. And if they were so scared that something was gonna get out to everyone else, they wouldnt allow soonersports to put up videos that are free to the public, and they wouldnt allow everyone to come.

illinisooner
8/12/2007, 09:26 AM
On the news they mentioned that cameras were only allowed to shoot the first 30 mins, which is why on the highlights we didn't see any amazing passes or runs. Also in the paper, Wilson said he "has a favorite" at QB, but won't say who it is. I'm guessing Nichol, because Wilson ran the spread at Northwestern and Keith seems to be the best fit, especially with the running aspect. But that's just a guess, it could just as easily be Halzle or Bradford.

LittleWingSooner
8/12/2007, 09:36 AM
On the news they mentioned that cameras were only allowed to shoot the first 30 mins, which is why on the highlights we didn't see any amazing passes or runs. Also in the paper, Wilson said he "has a favorite" at QB, but won't say who it is. I'm guessing Nichol, because Wilson ran the spread at Northwestern and Keith seems to be the best fit, especially with the running aspect. But that's just a guess, it could just as easily be Halzle or Bradford.

I'm pretty sure it's Bradford not Nichol. He ran a spread like that at NW because he didn't have the talent on the line he has here. A spread wouldn't work as well for OU as it did NW because our Line needs to be more physical with that talent. It would be a waste to use it as a spread offense.

LittleWingSooner
8/12/2007, 10:22 AM
Link (http://com3.runboard.com/bnickzeppsboard.f2.t161)
Okay now you can read about yesterdays scrimmage till the next scrimmage starts

usmc-sooner
8/12/2007, 11:32 AM

pretty good evalutation, I didn't stay to watch the 2nd half. But in the first half I though Bradford was struggling. I thought Iglesias ran into Walker on the int. I also thought they (WR's) could have helped the QB's a little more. I do think in the end the coaches will choose between Bradford and Nichol but I think Hazle has the ability to lead this team if he is given the reigns. I feel bad for whoever is the third man out. All the work they've done. I'll be happy with whoever the coaches pick.

tulsaoilerfan
8/12/2007, 12:38 PM
You would think that they would make a decision pretty soon with only 3 weeks to go; however, i wouldn't be surprised to see 2 QB's play in the opener to get a better look at them during game action

Stitch Face
8/12/2007, 03:09 PM
You would think that they would make a decision pretty soon with only 3 weeks to go; however, i wouldn't be surprised to see 2 QB's play in the opener to get a better look at them during game action

That would be a good way to assess their potential, without the chance of controversy.

:pop:

StuIsTheMan
8/12/2007, 07:41 PM
who's got the answer?

I can't believe you all bawked at Stroker Ace trivia...MAN!:mad:

goss8572
8/14/2007, 10:18 PM
Anyone know anything about this guy Taggart (#54)? He played with the first team next to McCoy the whole scrimmage and I've never even heard of the guy....

MojoRisen
8/14/2007, 10:22 PM
Tommy Taggart- I think he will rotate- made some plays like blackard did a couple of years ago.

Seems to be a pretty tought dude - highly recruited....

setem
8/14/2007, 10:24 PM
What about the Big Red Rally?

Rhino
8/14/2007, 10:37 PM
Taggart has a serious shot at starting and will definitely be in the rotation.

Tommy Taggart- I think he will rotate- made some plays like blackard did a couple of years ago.

Seems to be a pretty tought dude - highly recruited.... Tommy was not highly recruited. He played two years at a DII school (Midwestern State in Wichita Falls) and transferred here.

jk the sooner fan
8/14/2007, 10:44 PM
i know those practice videos on soonersports show very little, but auston english looks good

goss8572
8/14/2007, 10:49 PM
Interesting, thanks guys. I figured he had to be a transfer since I never saw him on any of our recruiting lists. He must be pretty good to have blown past Granger, Coleman, and Bennett on the depth chart. I had heard good things about Adrian Taylor and thought he might be in the mix as well.