PDA

View Full Version : Sweet. all my iTunes music is gone somehow

King Crimson
8/11/2007, 06:12 AM
only about 8 or 9 records i bought with gift certificates and stuff i load on the iPod, but it's gone. i load iTunes and all the music is gone. that's great. only thing i'll really miss is the Buddy Holly collection and Brian Jonestown Massacre "Give it Back".

i just love Apple. i used to be a "true believer" but the two best computers i've owned are Dell's and the worst was a powerbook.

once again, winamp+vlc media player>iTunes

and no advertisements.

**** you iTunes.

Flagstaffsooner
8/11/2007, 06:19 AM
Yup KC, as you walk towards the Light you will give up on Dell to and go to HP.

King Crimson
8/11/2007, 08:11 AM
really? Dell has been good to me, but i am in the market for a new laptop.

iTunes sucks out loud twice. i've always hated it and now i get a better chance to be right.
and i'm no stranger to music files and that ****.

with all respect to iTunes and the "we invented reality" blowhards at Apple, a lot of us have been doing the mp3 thing for a long time. and other files, too!

the compression rate at iTunes is amateur bad.

why anyone would pay money for 128 is hilarious.

bluedogok
8/11/2007, 08:43 AM
Did you burn a CD as a backup? I have done that with the few things that I have bought from iTunes since it allows a set number of burns.

King Crimson
8/11/2007, 08:48 AM
naw. i didn't do that. iTunes was about .01% of my music files. like i said, the only stuff was stuff i bought off gift certificates. will miss the Buddy Holly collection.

it's more about principle. why is the music gone?

bluedogok
8/11/2007, 09:23 AM
Are you sure it isn't still on your computer somewhere? Did you do a search for it?

SoonerGirl06
8/11/2007, 10:28 AM
I feel your pain KC.

When my computer crashed I lost nearly 500 songs. I was totally p*ssed! And I'm having one heck of a time trying to get them all back.

There were some really good songs too. :(

Howzit
8/11/2007, 10:30 AM
All of my iTunes music is backed up on my sweet external hard drive. It's greenish/taupey. Kind of.

SoonerGirl06
8/11/2007, 10:41 AM
I knew I should've voted for you.

proud gonzo
8/11/2007, 11:22 AM
see, this is why I still buy cds

yermom
8/11/2007, 11:43 AM
word.

but i'm with bluedog, did you lose data somehow? what exactly happened? what do you mean by "reloaded iTunes"?

Sooner_Bob
8/11/2007, 12:50 PM
Wasn't there a recent update to iTunes? Could that have defaulted to a different storage location for your music files?

SicEmBaylor
8/11/2007, 12:56 PM
KC,
Something very similar happened to my library on itunes about a year or two ago. Random songs started completely disappearing from the library. Now, I did eventually find those songs in my actual music folder but they had been corrupted. It was some sort of creeping virus thing that was slowly corrupting my entire library and rendering the music unplayable. I eventually fixed the problem by using this mp3 fixing program that did the trick and/or replacing the song entirely.

Not exactly the same situation you're in, but iTunes has screwed me over as well.

KC//CRIMSON
8/11/2007, 01:26 PM
All of my iTunes music is backed up on my sweet external hard drive. It's greenish/taupey. Kind of.

the only way to go.:cool:

SicEmBaylor
8/11/2007, 02:16 PM
My external is metal gray.

soonerbrat
8/11/2007, 02:51 PM
i am inspired to backup my library..i have over 10K songs on my 'puter.

King Crimson
8/11/2007, 02:58 PM
word.

but i'm with bluedog, did you lose data somehow? what exactly happened? what do you mean by "reloaded iTunes"?

all i mean by "reloaded" is that i tired it again. i click on the iTunes desktop icon and the music is gone. restarted the computer. iTunes opens and i have no playlists, no music. i didn't save any of it since, as i say, i only use it (since it sucks) for about 1o albums i bought with gift certifs.

i don't know if i lost data, everything else seems fine.

bluedogok
8/11/2007, 03:41 PM
Just because you lost your playlist doesn't mean that you lost your music. When you download stuff from iTunes it saves the .m4p file somewhere on your hard drive. In windows I think the default is in the "My Music/iTunes/iTunes Music" of the My Documents folder. You may have to tell iTunes to look in that folder.

King Crimson
8/11/2007, 04:14 PM
Just because you lost your playlist doesn't mean that you lost your music. When you download stuff from iTunes it saves the .m4p file somewhere on your hard drive. In windows I think the default is in the "My Music/iTunes/iTunes Music" of the My Documents folder. You may have to tell iTunes to look in that folder.

thanks, i'll check it out.

yermom
8/11/2007, 06:19 PM
yeah, that's along the lines of what i was thinking

you'd just need to rebuild the index basically (re-import your music)

King Crimson
8/11/2007, 06:30 PM
iTunes folder in my music is empty. hup. ahh, ok. now i found it in my new (way cooler than howzit or jk's) 250 g harddrive.

i gotta do something bexause winamp is throwing me the Fall and the Public Image box set all afternoon on shuffle. I love the Fall, they are truly one of the great bands.....but sometimes a little goes a long ways.

i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, i guess.

i still don't like iTunes for managing files.

StoopTroup
8/11/2007, 06:37 PM
Shoulda bought an 8-track foo...

King Crimson
8/11/2007, 06:45 PM
hardee har har.

Frozen Sooner
8/11/2007, 08:50 PM
*sigh*

Bitrate is -not- the be-all end-all when it comes to compression schemes.

King Crimson
8/11/2007, 09:25 PM
*sigh*

Bitrate is -not- the be-all end-all when it comes to compression schemes.

maybe, but the quality at iTunes is pretty average and you can't get anything that isn't on a major label.

*sigh*

sanantoniosooner
8/11/2007, 09:34 PM
*sigh*

*fart*

*sigh*

sooneron
8/11/2007, 09:50 PM
maybe, but the quality at iTunes is pretty average and you can't get anything that isn't on a major label.

*sigh*
Actually, some of your fave albums are now avail for itunes plus which means 256 kbps and DRM free.

Frozen Sooner
8/11/2007, 09:54 PM

*sigh*

*sigh*

I agree that the compression used by iTunes isn't the greatest, and I imagine that they're not using the best masters to go from anyhow.

I'm just sayin'-bit-rate isn't everything. For example, DTS compression schemes use a MUCH higher bit-rate than most Dolby compression schemes-for example, DTS-HD MA uses (I think) about 15% more space than Dolby TrueHD. Both are lossless. Just because the DTS-HD MA track has a higher bitrate doesn't mean that it's any better.

sooneron
8/11/2007, 09:58 PM
*sigh*

I agree that the compression used by iTunes isn't the greatest, and I imagine that they're not using the best masters to go from anyhow.

I'm just sayin'-asdhfosihcnncoe a dfoidsncinsdi34y698y3Y&&& khiohadfkjn&(#*I#Y KOHih8ih*h enkansdihiunubjkahdiuue hHhih8erhiciehhqwehjl;kj*YU(U@ihrki3u3uknd,!!! doesn't mean that it's any better.
fixed

meoveryouxinfinity
8/12/2007, 08:48 AM
Same thing happened to me when I defragmented. I was ****ed.