PDA

View Full Version : Wow. High School football just kicked off tonight.

Frozen Sooner
8/11/2007, 01:28 AM
Dang. I guess we have the earliest kickoff in the country.

Chugiak defeats #1 defending state champ South Anchorage 10-7.

Flagstaffsooner
8/11/2007, 01:52 AM
You go Chugiak! I guess you guys have to get the season over quick before the winter sets in. Day games under lights would be cool.

Frozen Sooner
8/11/2007, 01:54 AM
Yeah, we used to play the last few games of the season in early-mid October. The snow starts flying right about then-probably one of the reasons for the dearth of D-1 QB talent from Alaska. :) I think the state record for passing yards was like 1,500 a few years ago.

Frozen Sooner
8/11/2007, 01:56 AM
And I'm all for South getting their asses handed to them. They opened a brand-new high school with top-flight everything and basically recruited all the athletes from Dimond and Service (the other two high schools in that area of town) to go there. In three years since opening, they've won state titles in Football, Hockey, Wrestling, Soccer, and Baseball. Kinda ridiculous.

Flagstaffsooner
8/11/2007, 02:05 AM
Whats Chugiak's nickname?

Frozen Sooner
8/11/2007, 03:22 AM
Mustangs.

In the Cook Inlet Conference (which is Anchorage and the immediate surrounding) there's:

Bartlett Golden Bears (Mainly serves the military bases)
Chugiak Mustangs (Mostly north Eagle River/Chugiak)
Dimond Lynx (Southwest Anchorage)
Eagle River Wolves (Duh)
East Anchorage Thunderbirds (Duh)
Service Cougars (Southeast Anchorage)
South Anchorage Wolverines (Duh)
West Anchorage Eagles (Duh)

The south end of town is where a lot of the money in town is and those three schools just dominate state hockey. Like I can't think of a time when a school outside Service, Dimond, or South won state in hockey. Bartlett tends to excel at track for whatever reason. Chugiak fields a competitive team in pretty much everything. Eagle River is a brand-new school and gets the tar beat out of them in everything. East and West encompass some pretty rough areas of town, so they have years where they're just awesome and some years where there's just nothing going on there.

Trajan Langdon (formerly of Duke) and Scott Gomez (formerly of the New Jersey Devils, just signed a HUGE contract with the New York Rangers) went to East. Mark Schlereth (formerly of the Broncos and Redskins and currently of ESPN) and Brandon Drumm (formerly of Colorado-all Big 12 FB) went to Service. Curt Schilling I think spent a year at Bartlett.

That's pretty much all of the Anchorage sports notables I can think of unless you start talking about cross country skiing, biathalon, or other winter sports.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/11/2007, 04:16 PM
Dang. I guess we have the earliest kickoff in the country.

Chugiak defeats #1 defending state champ South Anchorage 10-7.

Was it an upset that Chugiak won? And how many high school football programs are there in the state?

StoopTroup
8/11/2007, 04:33 PM
The Best part of HS Football is watching all the mylfs root on their daughters on the sidelines.

Frozen Sooner
8/11/2007, 08:39 PM
Was it an upset that Chugiak won? And how many high school football programs are there in the state?

South was ranked #1, so yes. There's (I think) 20 or so programs.