PDA

View Full Version : How would you change this list?

stoopified
8/10/2007, 06:13 PM
It is the Top 10 ten OU rbs according to Sooners illustrated.
1) Billy Sims
2)Joe Washington
3)Adrian Peterson
4) Greg Pruitt
5) Steve Owens
6)Billy Vessels
7) Tommy McDonald
8) Marcus Dupree
9) Quentin Griffin
10) Mike Gaddis

For anyone who wants to brand me a traitor,for the record I subsribe to Spectator but pick up Illustrated when they have an article I want.In this case it was two articles.one about Little Joe and his return to OU.the other about Jimmy Harris.

Personally I like the listand while I might argue list placement in some cases, I can only find 1 name that does not belong on the list.That name is Marcus Dupree and the reasons are many, among them: He selfishly quit the team midseason,He refused to work hard and set an example in practice for his teammates,he was disruptive to the tea m he only played 1 1/2 seasons at OU.That is also way IMHO he is not worthy of being listed as one of THE 100 GREATEST SOONERS.On a side note the same reasons are why I don't think Joe Don Looney is not a TOP 100 OU player.In any case I would say Demond Parker is more deserving than Dupree.

I would add that I thought AD was going to be another Marcus the way he shot his mouth off after we signed him.AD was a TEAM player in every facet and I can only imagine how GREAT Marcus would have been with that work ethic.AD is deserving of all honors he recieved at OU as one of OUr greatest players ever.Sorry I ever doubted you Adrian.

critical_phil
8/10/2007, 06:15 PM
are we supposed to guess numbers 9 and 10?

9. chet winters
10. weldon ledbetter

fadada1
8/10/2007, 06:30 PM
11. Peter Feltersnatch

stoopified
8/10/2007, 06:43 PM
Sorry guys Iaccidentally hit submit before I was done and you guys got it before I got it edited.

goingoneight
8/10/2007, 06:47 PM
I'd put a number 1 on the '0... but that's just me... :D

aurorasooner
8/10/2007, 06:50 PM
1)Billy Sims
2)Billy Vessels
2)Tommy Mcdonald
2)Joe Washington
5)Steve Owens
5)Greg Pruitt
7)Quentin Griffin
8)AD
9)Mike Gaddis
10)Steve Sewell, Joe Don Looney, etc

stoopified
8/10/2007, 06:57 PM
I'd put a number 1 on the '0... but that's just me... :D
Ok I edited again,moral of the story don't type with a hyper 3 year-old boy crawling on you.

AlabamaSooner
8/10/2007, 07:03 PM
1)Billy Sims
2)Billy Vessels
2)Tommy Mcdonald
2)Joe Washington
5)Steve Owens
5)Greg Pruitt
7)Quentin Griffin
8)AD
9)Mike Gaddis
10)Steve Sewell, Joe Don Looney, etc

Q over AD? You gotta explain that one to me.

That being said, I'd like to see Demond on that list.

Blues1
8/10/2007, 07:29 PM
Just My 2 cents - Plus I just wanted to Post..... :)

1) Billy Sims
2) Joe Washington
3) Adrian Peterson
4) Greg Pruitt
5) Tommy McDonald
6) Billy Vessels
7) Mike Gaddis
8) Steve Owens
9) Quentin Griffin
10) Clendon Thomas - 10B - Marcus Dupree - 10C - Joe Don Looney

PLaw
8/10/2007, 10:12 PM
1) Billy Sims
2)Joe Washington
3)Adrian Peterson
4) Greg Pruitt
5) Steve Owens
6)Billy Vessels
7) Tommy McDonald
8) Marcus Dupree
9) Quentin Griffin
10) Mike Gaddis

1) Billy Sims
2) Steve Owens
3) Billy Vessels
4) Joe Washington
5) Greg Pruitt
6) Adrian Peterson
7) Kenny King
8) David Overstreet
9) Quentin Griffin
10) Marcus Dupree
11) Elvis Peacock
12) Mike Gaddis
13) J.D. Runnels
14) Thomas Lott
15) Buster Rhymes
:pop:

BOOMER
PLaw

Rogue
8/10/2007, 10:50 PM
PLaw's is pretty good. I like the fullbacks!
It'd be hard not to have James Allen in the top 15 though.

Piware
8/10/2007, 11:24 PM
PLaw's is pretty good. I like the fullbacks!
It'd be hard not to have James Allen in the top 15 though.

Face it folks! There are just too many of them - they could be interchangeable from now on and I think there are a couple that will go on this list waiting in the locker room as we speak.

Suerreal
8/10/2007, 11:26 PM
1) Billy Sims
2) Steve Owens
3) Billy Vessels
4) Joe Washington
5) Greg Pruitt
6) Adrian Peterson
7) Kenny King
8) David Overstreet
9) Quentin Griffin
10) Marcus Dupree
11) Elvis Peacock
12) Mike Gaddis
13) J.D. Runnels
14) Thomas Lott
15) Buster Rhymes
:pop:

BOOMER
PLaw

Your list may be a little 70's-centric, but that was the running game's heyday. I'm really glad I'm not the only one who feels Kenny King belongs up there.

- Sue

Seamus
8/11/2007, 12:47 AM
Spencer Tillman and Patrick Collins deserve mention, and for fullbacks, Lydell Carr.

Dupree is banished.

Flagstaffsooner
8/11/2007, 02:54 AM
Q over AD? You gotta explain that one to me.

Q was an overachiever. 6TD's in one game against the whorns.

KantoSooner
8/11/2007, 03:01 AM
Spencer Tillman and Patrick Collins deserve mention, and for fullbacks, Lydell Carr.

Dupree is banished.

Glad someone else loves Lydell Carr. Magic.

You're too hard on Dupree.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/11/2007, 10:48 AM
Top 10 list would need to keep McDonald and Vessels, and remove DuPree and Joe Don Looney, or at least have asterisks.

PLaw
8/12/2007, 08:35 AM

Dupree is banished.

Can't argue against those three - Lydell has always been one of my favs. Actually got through on the weekly radio show one year and ask Barry how Lydell did through the summer. Barry beamed with optimism.

I think the real acid test for "Great RB's" is where would they stack up in the years before the 85 scholarship limits. There were a bunch of kids who were buried on the wishbone depth chart that were better than some of the starters in the post 85 scholarship era.

Certainly, worth mentioning are Woodie Shepard, Leon Perry, Joe Wylie, Leon Crosswhite, Roy Bell, Steve Sewell, Anthony Stafford, and Dewell Brewer.

BOOMER
PLaw

Flagstaffsooner
8/12/2007, 08:40 AM
Certainly, worth mentioning are Woodie Shepard, Leon Perry, Joe Wylie, Leon Crosswhite, Roy Bell, Steve Sewell, Anthony Stafford, and Dewell Brewer.

A Stafford was the fastest guy ever.

King Crimson
8/12/2007, 08:48 AM
Demond Parker getting no love.

David Overstreet, either.

i "tackled" Dewell Brewer in high school on special teams. trainer had to rescrew my facemask into my helmet.

SOONER STEAKER
8/12/2007, 03:32 PM
What about Stanley Wilson at fulback.

OU_Sooners75
8/12/2007, 06:49 PM
This is how mine would look if it means anything.

1) Billy Sims
2) Adrian Peterson
3) Joe Washington
4) Mike Gaddis
5) Greg Pruitt
6) Quentin Griffin
7) Steve Owens
8) Billy Vessels
9) Tommy McDonald
10) Marcus Dupree

Big Red Ron
8/13/2007, 08:42 AM
1) Billy Sims
2)Joe Washington
3)Adrian Peterson
4) Greg Pruitt
5) Steve Owens
6)Billy Vessels
7) Tommy McDonald
8) Marcus Dupree
9) Quentin Griffin
10) Mike Gaddis

For anyone who wants to brand me a traitor,for the record I subsribe to Spectator but pick up Illustrated when they have an article I want.In this case it was two articles.one about Little Joe and his return to OU.the other about Jimmy Harris.

Personally I like the listand while I might argue list placement in some cases, I can only find 1 name that does not belong on the list.That name is Marcus Dupree and the reasons are many, among them: He selfishly quit the team midseason,He refused to work hard and set an example in practice for his teammates,he was disruptive to the tea m he only played 1 1/2 seasons at OU.That is also way IMHO he is not worthy of being listed as one of THE 100 GREATEST SOONERS.On a side note the same reasons are why I don't think Joe Don Looney is not a TOP 100 OU player.In any case I would say Demond Parker is more deserving than Dupree.

I would add that I thought AD was going to be another Marcus the way he shot his mouth off after we signed him.AD was a TEAM player in every facet and I can only imagine how GREAT Marcus would have been with that work ethic.AD is deserving of all honors he recieved at OU as one of OUr greatest players ever.Sorry I ever doubted you Adrian.Demond Parker slides in around 4th, AD is too high.

Big Red Ron
8/13/2007, 08:46 AM
1) Billy Sims
2)Joe Washington
3)Adrian Peterson
4) Parker
5) Pruitt
6) Billy Vessels
7) Owens
8) Quentin Griffin
9) Mike Gaddis
10) Spencer Tillman

ouwapiti
8/13/2007, 02:42 PM
fb.......leon crosswhite...from hennessey, america

stoopified
8/14/2007, 07:16 PM
1) Billy Sims
2)Joe Washington
3)Adrian Peterson
4) Parker
5) Pruitt
6) Billy Vessels
7) Owens
8) Quentin Griffin
9) Mike Gaddis
10) Spencer Tillman
Love your addition of Tillman at #10.Great character and work ethic ,wonder how great he could have been if healthy.Same could be said though for Gaddis,Vessels,AD of course.