PDA

View Full Version : FYI: 13'6" > 7'7"

Osce0la
8/10/2007, 04:04 PM
We had a trucker out here that found this out the hard way.

Let me set this up for you.

There is an old bridge beside my building. The bridge goes uphill, so the part of the bridge that is over 1st Ave. South only has a 7'7" clearance. When you turn onto 1st Ave. South, there is a bar hanging down, 7'7" above the ground, to let you know that you have enough clearance to get under the bridge. There is also a big yellow sign the reads "7'7" CLEARANCE" on the bridge. Apparently this guy either can't read, or doesn't know that a 13'6" trailer is not small enough to fit under a 7'7" bridge. Guy tries to make it under the bridge...Bridge - 1, Truck - 0. I wish Verizon wasn't being such a ***** so I could forward the pics to my email and post them here, but oh well...3 sides of the trailer, plus the roof of the trailer are all sitting beside and behind the truck, crunched up pretty badly. Driver is fine (other than having to explain to the police, and his boss, why he though his 13 foot truck would fit under a 7 foot bridge...

rufnek05
8/10/2007, 04:05 PM
people are getting smarter it seems

mdklatt
8/10/2007, 04:06 PM
When you turn onto 1st Ave. South, there is a bar hanging down, 7'7" above the ground, to let you know that you have enough clearance to get under the bridge.

How did he make it under the bar?? :confused:

Osce0la
8/10/2007, 04:06 PM
people are getting smarter it seems
bad thing is we had a guy in a U-Haul that apparently did this last week as well...

Osce0la
8/10/2007, 04:08 PM
How did he make it under the bar?? :confused:
The bar is hanging from some chains, so when you hit it it will swing (instead of ****ing up your truck). I guess the loud crash of the bar hitting the trailer, and scraping the length of the top of the trailer never got his attention...

The bar is basically like a fence post, hanging from some chains that are connected to a pole that looks like a street light...

mdklatt
8/10/2007, 04:14 PM
The bar is hanging from some chains, so when you hit it it will swing (instead of ****ing up your truck). I guess the loud crash of the bar hitting the trailer, and scraping the length of the top of the trailer never got his attention...

Was this a semi? If so, wouldn't that bar have been at eye level for him? I don't see how the cab could have made it through, much less the trailer. :confused: :confused:

DAMN VERIZON!! :mad:

Widescreen
8/10/2007, 04:14 PM
13'6" > 7'7"
That's what SHE said.

Osce0la
8/10/2007, 04:16 PM
It isn't really a semi...it is a refrigerated truck, about the size of a U-Haul...

Osce0la
8/10/2007, 04:19 PM
That's what SHE said.
If she needs 13' it may not be something you wanna be hitting :eek:

85Sooner
8/10/2007, 06:37 PM
That's what SHE said.

ba da dow!