PDA

View Full Version : SCS.com:2007 IMPACT NEWCOMERS

SoonerBOI
8/10/2007, 03:00 PM
Here's another article to spice up the boredom before CFB season starts...

SCS.COM COLLEGE FOOTBALL PREVIEW 2007: IMPACT NEWCOMERS
August 3, 2007
Matt, SCS.com Staff Writer Contact Matt

College football is all about new beginnings. Out with the old and in with new(comers). Florida, last year’s national champion, had a 2nd year coach in Urban Meyer, and talented freshmen such as Tim Tebow and Percy Harvin, who were recruited by the 2nd year coach in his first year. Stud receiver Andre Caldwell returned for a successful senior season after being hurt all of 2006. Florida needed everyone to contribute to get through football’s toughest conference and win the national championship.

Defense wins championships, but freshmen build teams. Adrian Peterson and Ted Ginn Jr. were dominant freshmen. During their careers, they both played in multiple BCS bowl games and won conference championships. Freshmen build hype and give a discouraged fan base something to look forward to. Is your favorite team not strong at QB this year? Do not worry, that “star” recruit will fill the gap next year, right?

Transfers can cripple a team and empower another. Mitch Mustain transferring from Arkansas to USC will hurt the Hogs' chances in the SEC West. USC, who really does not need any help finding stud QBs, will find a way to utilize Mustain in a positive way before he graduates.

A lot like transfers, players who have come back from lots of missed time due to injuries can boost a team’s morale and chance of success. Injuries can be devastating to a young football player and a team. Ask Ohio State or Oklahoma if they did not miss their former freshmen stars from above when they were injured during the 2006 season. When that player returns, especially a big time playmaker or team leader, the whole team changes.

Getting a new coach is like going to rehab and coming out clean. Everyone is excited about the chance of success, but also ready to give up and move on to someone or something else when there is failure. Whether you are happy with your team's hire or not, you will have high expectations. Nothing brings excitement to a football program more than a new coach. Alabama and Nick Saban is a classic example. They sold out their spring game, the only team to do so in 2007.

This year leaves no shortage of young freshmen, new coaches, talented transfers, and returning stars. Teams like Alabama, Notre Dame, Nebraska, and Tennessee will be affected by newcomers. These teams will live and die because of new players and coaches.

Time for your fantasy college football education - Fantasy College Blitz - because in college, everyone scores!

Top Freshmen

1. Eric Berry, Tennessee (CB) – A lot of people had Clausen listed as the best recruit from 2007, but I am not buying it. Berry is a speedy guy (4.33 forty) who projects as a cornerback after playing quarterback in high school. He is a high character guy, something Tennessee needs. Berry will find lots of playing time on defense and special teams this year, and he will be a top 10 pick in 3 years. Berry highlights (as a high school QB)

2. DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma (RB) – Murray is redshirt freshman that waited patiently for Adrian Peterson to graduate and leave the RB spot open. Oklahoma has a stable of talented young running backs, but Murray is easily the best of the contenders. In OU’s spring game, he had 103 yards on just 4 carries! Some call him the next Reggie Bush, and I do not disagree. Murray's spring game highlights

3. Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame (QB) – Clausen is pressured to succeed early at Notre Dame after the Irish were embarrassed last year in games against Michigan, USC, and LSU. Clausen has a strong arm, and like former QB Brady Quinn, he is very quick. The Irish have been recruiting well, but they only return 9 starters this year. This will probably be his worst team in the 3 or 4 years he is at ND. He will start to show his excellence in 2008, and he is the most likely Heisman winner on this list. Clausen highlights

4. Arrelious Benn, Illinois (WR) - Illinois is a young team that is going to compete for a Big 10 title in 2 or 3 years, and Benn fits in perfectly with the Illini. He will get immediate playing time and will be sophomore Juice Williams' favorite target. Benn has power (220 lbs.) and speed (4.45 forty). He is the next James Hardy, except Benn’s team will see more success. Benn highlights

5. Jake Locker, Washington (QB) – Washington had a void to fill at QB after Isiah Stanback got hurt early in his senior season. Carl Bonnell replaced him, and got one win in 5 starts. Locker is a redshirt freshman who is the obvious choice for QB this fall. His forty time is faster than Clausen’s at 4.65. He has great elusiveness and a solid arm, and he should have a great career at Washington. Look for big things from the Huskies in their early season matchup vs. Ohio State. Locker highlights

http://southerncollegesports.com/fb_07_preview_newcomers.html

NormanPride
8/10/2007, 03:10 PM
A corner as a top freshman? You know, he may be the best freshman corner ever, but he probably won't show up much just because.... he's a corner.

reddfoxx
8/10/2007, 03:10 PM
A writer openly predicting that a Notre Dame quarterback recruit will win the heismann. I'm shocked.

Sportswriters are now dipping into the new recuiting classes at Notre Dame just to scoop Beano Cook on his Heisman predictions!

Flagstaffsooner
8/10/2007, 03:13 PM
2. DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma (RB) – Murray is redshirt freshman that waited patiently for Adrian Peterson to graduate and leave the RB spot open. Oklahoma has a stable of talented young running backs, but Murray is easily the best of the contenders. In OU’s spring game, he had 103 yards on just 4 carries! Some call him the next Reggie Bush, and I do not disagree. Murray's spring game highlights

3. Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame (QB) – Clausen is pressured to succeed early at Notre Dame after the Irish were embarrassed last year in games against Michigan, USC, and LSU. Clausen has a strong arm, and like former QB Brady Quinn, he is very quick. The Irish have been recruiting well, but they only return 9 starters this year. This will probably be his worst team in the 3 or 4 years he is at ND. He will start to show his excellence in 2008, and he is the most likely Heisman winner on this list. Clausen highlights

Murray will be the real deal. Clausen is a punk who will end up getting face mask dental work.

soonerinabilene
8/10/2007, 03:39 PM
A corner as a top freshman? You know, he may be the best freshman corner ever, but he probably won't show up much just because.... he's a corner.

especially since the kid has never even played corner, apparently. article says he was a qb in high school.

stoopified
8/10/2007, 03:59 PM
I love Murray's potential but to say he is easily the best of the contenders is stretching things a bit.

47straight
8/10/2007, 04:19 PM
Jimmy Clausen = Mirer.

IronSooner
8/10/2007, 05:36 PM
I like the bit about Illinois contending in the Big Ten in 2-3 years. Saying a lot for a team that could barely complete a forward pass last year. Would be a heck of a turnaround, but I'm not buying it.

setem
8/10/2007, 05:45 PM
"THE NEXT REGGIE BUSH!!!"

I love it!!!

I can not flippen wait for the season to start!!!

illinisooner
8/10/2007, 06:57 PM
I like the bit about Illinois contending in the Big Ten in 2-3 years. Saying a lot for a team that could barely complete a forward pass last year. Would be a heck of a turnaround, but I'm not buying it.

Hey, the guy said contending, not winning. If Zook continues to recruit well, it's definitely not out of the question. The Illini's goal this year should be .500/getting to a bowl, and I think their defense is going to surprise some people. Juice should be a better passer this year, thanks to a more experienced line and better receivers (see Benn, Regis). And frankly, it's hard to imagine him being worse...he only completed 39% of his passes. I don't want to go Aggie on everyone, but I think the Illini are a team on the rise!

snp
8/10/2007, 07:04 PM
It's still a Ron Zook team.

SelmaBamaFan
8/10/2007, 07:56 PM
Returning from Injury

1. Tyrone Prothro, Alabama (WR) – We all remember the amazing catch against Southern Miss from 2005. Prothro broke his leg later in that year and then redshirted in 2006. Now he is perfectly healthy and ready to lead a talented a receiving core that will catapult Alabama to a solid year.

This alone shows this guy is talking out of his ***. To say Prothro is coming back is one thing, but to state that he is 'perfectly healthy' is retarded.

birddog
8/10/2007, 08:11 PM
i am so glad he'll (prothro) have another chace to play.

so many people wrote him off. good for him.