PDA

View Full Version : Umbrella Trend

mdklatt
8/10/2007, 02:49 PM
Lately, I've been seeing people walking around with umbrellas to give themselves shade from the sun. I see at least 2-3 people a day walking down Boyd street doing this. Is this a new "thing"?

If this takes off on campus we'll have reached an apex of jackassery:

- "backpacks" with wheels
- flips flops for any occasion
- popped collars and seashell necklaces (or is that over?)
- people who can't go two minutes without talking or texting on their phones
- Facebook addiction
- sunglasses worn on the back of the head while indoors

- people walking around with umbrellas on a sunny day

King Crimson
8/10/2007, 02:52 PM
i see a lot of that where i live. but, mostly it's asian women or older people.

disagree about flip flops. when it's 100 degrees, i ain't wearing socks or shoes. fugg that. i ain't no air-conditioned gypsy.

Oldnslo
8/10/2007, 02:55 PM
ella...ella...ella

royalfan5
8/10/2007, 02:55 PM
I've worn socks about 4 days in the past month. You'll pry my Jesus cruisers off my cold dead feet. Before the advent of cabs, most farmers had tractor umbrellas for shade, I see the umbrella trend as a logical extension of that.

mdklatt
8/10/2007, 02:58 PM
disagree about flip flops. when it's 100 degrees, i ain't wearing socks or shoes. fugg that. i ain't no air-conditioned gypsy.

I have a foot anti-fetish, so I detest flip-flops. Nobody wants to see your nasty scraggle-toed feet. I do recognize that they have a time and place, however. Many flip-flop wearers do not recognize this and will wear them everywhere, even when asked not to. I know I'm going to be dealing with this next week.

yermom
8/10/2007, 02:58 PM
this isn't exactly a new thing ;)

http://www.answers.com/parasol&r=67

what the heck is a "backback"?

yermom
8/10/2007, 02:59 PM
ok, i'm guessing that is backpack

mdklatt
I've worn socks about 4 days in the past month. You'll pry my Jesus cruisers off my cold dead feet.

Jesus sandals are more acceptable than flip-flops. At least that's a token effort to hide your shame (feet).

frankensooner
http://www.nopuedocreer.com/quelohayaninventado/wp-content/images/2006/09/umbrella-hat.jpg

1stTimeCaller
8/10/2007, 03:00 PM
kinda like a wayback

;)

mdklatt
8/10/2007, 03:02 PM
this isn't exactly a new thing ;)

http://www.answers.com/parasol&r=67

These aren't parasols, they're full-sized umbrellas. I've never seen anybody in Oklahoma use a parasol or an umbrella before, and now all of a sudden I'm seeing it all of the time. What set this off?

what the heck is a "backback"?

Yes, backpack. :O

yermom
8/10/2007, 03:02 PM
Jesus sandals are more acceptable than flip-flops. At least that's a token effort to hide your shame (feet).

i've put a lot of miles on these lately...

http://www.comfortableshoes.com/images/shoes/kn/newporth2_black_lg.jpg

yermom
8/10/2007, 03:03 PM
These aren't parasols, they're full-sized umbrellas. I've never seen anybody in Oklahoma use a parasol or an umbrella before, and now all of a sudden I'm seeing it all of the time. What set this off?

Yes, backpack. :O

i noticed it in Vegas first, actually

maybe everyone was used to carrying them from all the rain :D

mdklatt
8/10/2007, 03:05 PM
i've put a lot of miles on these lately...

That's something even I might wear. The toes are covered.

Petro-Sooner
8/10/2007, 03:07 PM
- flips flops for any occasion
- popped collars and seashell necklaces (or is that over?)
- people who can't go two minutes without talking or texting on their phones
- Facebook addiction
- sunglasses worn on the back of the head while indoors

Dont get me started. Havnt noticed the umbrella thing.
How about girls with sunglasses that cover half there face. Goofiest thing I've seen in a while.

mdklatt
8/10/2007, 03:11 PM
Havnt noticed the umbrella thing.

You will.

How about girls with sunglasses that cover half there face. Goofiest thing I've seen in a while.

Yeah, I forgot about that. It's been a long time since I've been on campus on a regular basis, so I'm sure I'll start noticing lots of things that really **** me off in a couple of weeks. :D

1stTimeCaller
8/10/2007, 03:12 PM
shoes. with. wheels.

just heard on the radio that Norman High had to ban them.

yermom
8/10/2007, 03:14 PM
those look awesome. i want some :D

frankensooner
My 5 year old wants a pair of "heelies". I don't want to pay the orthopod, so he ain't gettin them. ;)

colleyvillesooner
I'm seeing it alot down here too...

King Crimson
8/10/2007, 03:17 PM
It's been a long time since I've been on campus on a regular basis, so I'm sure I'll start noticing lots of things that really **** me off in a couple of weeks. :D

you have no idea. oh man.

mdklatt
I'm seeing it alot down here too...

So what's up with that? Did they show somebody doing that on a recent episode of Real World or something? How did this get into the collective conscience?

proud gonzo
i don't know why the trend all of the sudden, but it makes perfect sense. They want to block the sun but a hat will mess up their hair, sunscreen is all greasy and smelly, and god forbid they don't wear clothes 3 sizes too small so everyone can see their horrid fake tans that will someday become skin cancer.

Beef
8/10/2007, 03:18 PM
You can thank Rihanna.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrTUhkN7RFA

Mmmmm....Rihanna.

Beef
8/10/2007, 03:19 PM
I have a foot anti-fetish, so I detest flip-flops. Nobody wants to see your nasty scraggle-toed feet. I do recognize that they have a time and place, however. Many flip-flop wearers do not recognize this and will wear them everywhere, even when asked not to. I know I'm going to be dealing with this next week.
I wear pretty toe polish when I wear flip-flops for people like you.

Osce0la
8/10/2007, 03:21 PM
ella...ella...ella
first thing I thought of...now I am p*ssed at this thread for getting that ****ing song stuck in my head...:mad:

mdklatt
8/10/2007, 03:21 PM
sunscreen is all greasy and smelly

NO-AD spray-on sunscreen is teh win. Easy to apply, not greasy at all, and not much of a smell.

mdklatt
8/10/2007, 03:22 PM
I wear pretty toe polish when I wear flip-flops for people like you.

Thank you.

mdklatt
8/10/2007, 03:23 PM
first thing I thought of...now I am p*ssed at this thread for getting that ****ing song stuck in my head...:mad:

That's a song?

:confused:

King Crimson
8/10/2007, 03:23 PM
i like to let my toe-nails grow really long. especially the big toe.

Beef
8/10/2007, 03:31 PM
i like to let my toe-nails grow really long. especially the big toe.
Damn hippie.

Chuck Bao
8/10/2007, 03:32 PM
In Thailand, women always use umbrellas to block the sun. It's smart.

Men look silly doing that.

When I first moved to Thailand 20 years ago, I was told that men don't carry umbrellas even when its raining. Men just wait for the rain to stop. Little wonder that about 85% of the economic production in the country is by the women.

mdklatt
8/10/2007, 04:03 PM
Okay, now there's a dude walking by with a white scarf around his head like he's Lawrence of Arabia.

Osce0la
8/10/2007, 04:05 PM
That's a song?

:confused:
maybe not...I should write a song like that...I could make millions...

ella...ella...ella...ay...ay...ay...

King Crimson
8/10/2007, 04:06 PM
Damn hippie.

as we used to say in the 80's:

"psyche".

TUSooner
8/10/2007, 04:06 PM
The umbreall/parasol deal ay be a bit dorky in some situations, but you have to admit it's practical. I've seen plenty of umbrellas used for shade at softball and soccer venues, sometimes by me.

mdklatt
8/10/2007, 04:10 PM
I've seen plenty of umbrellas used for shade at softball and soccer venues, sometimes by me.

Sure, of course. I've just never seen people walking down the street like that before, and now I see it every day. I have a feeling that there's a lot more "I'm a trend whore who can't think for myself" than "hey, that's a good idea" going on.

TUSooner
8/10/2007, 04:16 PM
Sure, of course. I've just never seen people walking down the street like that before, and now I see it every day. I have a feeling that there's a lot more "I'm a trend whore who can't think for myself" than "hey, that's a good idea" going on.
Cynic!

But you're prob'ly right. :D

mdklatt
8/10/2007, 04:17 PM
Cynic!

You have no idea. :cool: