PDA

View Full Version : The "Old Ball Coach" is p1ssed...

Okla-homey
8/10/2007, 11:03 AM
at the "bureaucrats" in the Admissions Office.

This may have been discussed elsewhere, but it's too fun not to share here. My b-i-l in Souse Cackalacky, who is a ginormous 'C0ck, fan shared that Spurrier is incensed at his Admissions Department.

It would seem he offered schollys to a couple HS blue-chippers and the Admissions folks embarrased him by refusing to admit them b/c of their abysmal HS grades and admissions test score.

Apparently, Coach mumbled something like, "how in the hell do these people expect me to win the SEC if they insist our players must be capable of being college students" or something similar.

Thus, there's trouble in Columbia.

stay tuned.

critical_phil
8/10/2007, 11:13 AM
TOBC should send the admissions people to Auburn during the off-season to learn more about those alternative classes what don't require no book.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/10/2007, 11:16 AM
TOBC should send the admissions people to Auburn during the off-season to learn more about those alternative classes what don't require no book.Heh!

Flagstaffsooner
8/10/2007, 11:17 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2968224

Thursday, August 9, 2007
Spurrier 'positive' South Carolina to revise athlete admissions policies

Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- South Carolina football coach Steve Spurrier said Thursday he is positive university officials will revise the admissions process for athletes to his satisfaction.

Last weekend, Spurrier said the process left him embarrassed and angry after two of his recruits were denied admission to the university despite being cleared by the NCAA to enroll.

In response, the school has created a committee that includes president Andrew Sorensen, athletic director Eric Hyman, professors, coaches and other administrators to discuss the university's special admissions process for athletes.

The committee plans to have its recommendations to Sorensen and the university board of trustees by the end of September, according to the school.

Over the weekend, Spurrier threatened to leave South Carolina if things didn't change. He seemed much more optimistic Thursday.

"I feel positive President Sorensen and the university administrators will revise our recruiting process to where we're all satisfied and we can eagerly and enthusiastically go about our business in recruiting," Spurrier said in a statement.

8/10/2007, 11:23 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2968224

Thursday, August 9, 2007
Spurrier 'positive' South Carolina to revise athlete admissions policies

Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- South Carolina football coach Steve Spurrier said Thursday he is positive university officials will revise the admissions process for athletes to his satisfaction.

Last weekend, Spurrier said the process left him embarrassed and angry after two of his recruits were denied admission to the university despite being cleared by the NCAA to enroll.

In response, the school has created a committee that includes president Andrew Sorensen, athletic director Eric Hyman, professors, coaches and other administrators to discuss the university's special admissions process for athletes.

The committee plans to have its recommendations to Sorensen and the university board of trustees by the end of September, according to the school.

Over the weekend, Spurrier threatened to leave South Carolina if things didn't change. He seemed much more optimistic Thursday.

"I feel positive President Sorensen and the university administrators will revise our recruiting process to where we're all satisfied and we can eagerly and enthusiastically go about our business in recruiting," Spurrier said in a statement.Academics Schmacademics, WTF does school have to do with football, anyway? Do we pay the good money to see running backs turn in history exams? HE*L NO!

r5TPsooner
8/10/2007, 11:33 AM
New South Carolina Admissions Policy for student athletes:

Spell the words "dog" and "cat" and you are entered.

Flagstaffsooner
8/10/2007, 11:37 AM
New South Carolina Admissions Policy for student athletes:

Spell the words "dog" and "cat" and you are entered.That would have kept VY out of utexass.

Dio
8/10/2007, 02:23 PM
The 'C0cks AD is named Hyman? :D

mdklatt
8/10/2007, 02:24 PM
My b-i-l in Souse Cackalacky, who is a ginormous 'C0ck, fan shared that Spurrier is incensed at his Admissions Department.

Nice "misplaced" comma. ;)

royalfan5
8/10/2007, 02:29 PM
I think the NCAA should institute a no holds barred division for college football. No regulations and no mercy. Really what is inherently wrong with paying illiterates to play football for the entertainment of the masses.

Flagstaffsooner
8/10/2007, 02:37 PM
I think the NCAA should institute a no holds barred division for college football. No regulations and no mercy. Really what is inherently wrong with paying illiterates to play football for the entertainment of the masses.Dexter Manley and VY in one on one football!

King Crimson
I think the NCAA should institute a no holds barred division for college football. No regulations and no mercy. Really what is inherently wrong with paying illiterates to play football for the entertainment of the masses.

bread and circus, all the way. gotta please the plebs with bloodsport.

I think the NCAA should institute a no holds barred division for college football. No regulations and no mercy. Really what is inherently wrong with paying illiterates to play football for the entertainment of the masses.1)"NO MERCY"??? 2) Also, feetball players put in a +40 hr. work week with their football, and should be paid more than they are by the colleges, for all the revenue they bring in to the institution.

King Crimson
8/10/2007, 02:40 PM
1)"NO MERCY"??? 2) Also, feetball players put in a +40 hr. work week with their football, and should be paid more than they are by the colleges, for all the revenue they bring in to the institution.

they do deserve some of the coin from the political economy they serve--or at least insurance policies. somebody posted that a while back and i thought that was good idea.

of course those of us over 30 can remember how Barry Switzer was demonized nationally for saying the same thing many coaches, fans and "sports journalists" are saying today.

Petro-Sooner
8/10/2007, 02:42 PM
Does OU pull that crap? Special admissions processes for athletes? I've had a class or two with football players and they arent the brightest bulbs.

King Crimson
8/10/2007, 02:48 PM
Does OU pull that crap? Special admissions processes for athletes? I've had a class or two with football players and they arent the brightest bulbs.

as a university instructor at two different universities in the last 5 years, i can tell you, scholarship athletes have it pretty easy in the classroom. the AD tutoring services they have really push the ethical point of plagiarism and academic misconduct IMO. and plus they act like they shat donna stink.

and, honestly, if you can't make c's in today's grade inflation climate (in the classes most of these people are taking).....you are either not turning stuff in on time or not at all or just plain blowing it off.

this is a generalization, there are student-athletes who really do the work and give a ****. and use the opportunity.

Petro-Sooner
8/10/2007, 03:01 PM
as a university instructor at two different universities in the last 5 years, i can tell you, scholarship athletes have it pretty easy in the classroom. the AD tutoring services they have really push the ethical point of plagiarism and academic misconduct IMO. and plus they act like they shat donna stink.

and, honestly, if you can't make c's in today's grade inflation climate (in the classes most of these people are taking).....you are either not turning stuff in on time or not at all or just plain blowing it off.

this is a generalization, there are student-athletes who really do the work and give a ****. and use the opportunity.

I wouldnt be surprised if the AD tutoring system at OU acts the same. Had a class with Davon Joseph and a hand full of other players a couple years ago. It was a gen ed class I was finishing up. We had study sessions/Q&A with the TA on a couple Sunday evenings before tests. Afterward the review I noticed all the football players go up to the front for "special help". I wanted to do well so I waited around to see what else I could learn. Come to find out they were pretty much given the exact questions to look for. :rolleyes:

Scott D
8/10/2007, 03:01 PM
Wait til the domers and big10?11 turds get ahold of this.
Those asshats are bigger tea sippers than :texan:

this would be a good spot for that Dhani Jones quote about Ohio State ;)

CUinNC
8/10/2007, 06:25 PM
OK - Ya know I gotta pile on.......

The 'Ol Ball Sack had to go & whine in front of the world....what an a-hole...thinks he's got more cache than the Admin & spout off...

next day he goes and back-tracks......great move....

all the while ya gotta remember he OVER-signed by 8-10 players this year, so the curd has to be thinned out...

USuC just took a step back.....with the 'ol Ball Sack leadin' the way..

BTW - we also had issues this year with a couple of players at the last minute being refused....****ed a whole bunch of Coaches & alums off & it got turned around eventually...

Problem is, that these review boards are all academia-types, and timing is nothing to them....that's the root of the issue...

It got fixed @ CU the right way...quick * quiet...except for all us Alums raisin' hell..

The 'Ol Ball Sack? he's just a big 'ol fart on the game.....

OU probally has a review board too....like I said, timing is the real issue

Review quick, and then let the Coaches know.

DamN, just 23 more days to the first game...SPOT THE BALL!!!!

Okla-homey
8/10/2007, 06:36 PM
These kids are the modern equivalent of gladiators and we owe them a great deal for all the joy and entertainment they provide. Not to mention the billions they reap for the schools in gate and broadcast rights.

My position for years has been:

1) Pay all football players a $5000.00 per semester stipend for them to blow out their a$$ if they want.

2) Everything else is free. Room, board, books, fees, tuition, parking, etc.

3) Healthcare coverage for life for any injury sustained during their time with the team.

4) Anyone who doesn't graduate within the year his eligibility is exhausted should be able to attend free until he's exceeded the university's maximum enrollment period for undergrads.

It's time to get real people.

royalfan5
8/10/2007, 07:11 PM
These kids are the modern equivalent of gladiators and we owe them a great deal for all the joy and entertainment they provide. Not to mention the billions they reap for the schools in gate and broadcast rights.

1) Pay all football players a $5000.00 per semester stipend for them to blow out their a$$ if they want.

2) Everything else is free. Room, board, books, fees, tuition, parking, etc.

3) Healthcare coverage for life for any injury sustained during their time with the team.

4) Anyone who doesn't graduate within the year his eligibility is exhausted should be able to attend free until he's exceeded the university's maximum enrollment period for undergrads.

It's time to get real people.
I think a more logical choice would be to spin D-1 football out as a separate entity from the regular Athletic Departments and the NCAA. Let the teams pay the players as they see fit and can afford. Make it a true developmental league for professional football. If the players want to negotiate tuition as part of their deal, like minor league baseball players often due, more power to them.

8/10/2007, 07:21 PM

They should be allowed 4 years playing eligibility, and not be obligated to enroll in class(if they're stupid enough to NOT want an edumacation, then it's their loss)