PDA

View Full Version : Miami may leave Orange Bowl

colleyvillesooner
8/9/2007, 11:28 AM
Man, I hope so. I'd rather go to Dolphins stadium when we play there. 2 Birds with one stone. Beat Miami at Miami, and make "TGOWWDNS" not the last memory I have of Pro Player.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2967043

Miami caught between tradition, modern amenities

MIAMI -- Mike Mangini gazed at the Orange Bowl, a once-glistening stadium near downtown Miami now replete with a rusting facade, decaying frame and well-worn fixtures.
Orange Bowl
The Orange Bowl has been Miami's home field since 1937. But it needs an estimated $206 million in repairs.
"It's a dump," said Mangini, a South Florida hospital worker who has held Miami Hurricanes football season tickets since the 1980s. "But we love this dump."

Later this month, University of Miami trustees may decide if the Hurricanes should continue playing in the 70-year-old structure that needs an estimated $206 million in repairs. The other option is moving 16 miles north to Dolphin Stadium, the newly refurbished, much-more-modern home of the Miami Dolphins and Florida Marlins.

If the Hurricanes stay, the city of Miami, which owns the Orange Bowl, has put together a plan to add suites, new restrooms and other amenities. If Miami leaves, the athletic department could gain another $2 million or more in extra revenue at Dolphin Stadium -- concessions and parking, mostly.

University officials say no decision has been made. Some fans, though, fear it's likely the 2007 season may be the Hurricanes' finale at the Orange Bowl, which the program has called home since Dec. 10, 1937.

"They're probably gone," said Dave Bargill, another longtime fan who lives near the stadium. "If they go, the city will probably knock the Orange Bowl down. So when they go, I'm not going with them, and I know I'm not alone. All the history here. Such a shame."

The Orange Bowl's place in history cannot be argued.

Satchel Paige, Cab Calloway, Merv Griffin and Martha Raye all headlined there -- on the same day. John F. Kennedy was a regular visitor, sometimes for football games, once to promise some 35,000 Cuban exiles that their homeland would one day be free.

Joe Namath's guaranteed Super Bowl win came there. "Hail Flutie" happened there, as did an epic fight between Aaron Pryor and Alexis Arguello. The perfect Miami Dolphins of 1972 called it home. Kellen Winslow and the San Diego Chargers beat the Dolphins there in perhaps the finest NFL playoff game ever played, a double-overtime classic.

The 'Canes won 58 straight home games over one stretch, an NCAA record. Three of their five national championships came at the Orange Bowl, too. (And that doesn't count three titles Miami's polo team won when they competed there long ago.)

Perhaps partly out of sensitivity on the ongoing issue, the current Hurricanes -- virtually all players and coach Randy Shannon, a Miami native, included -- are generally mum on the stadium topic.

"Whenever that decision is made, they'll make it, and it'll be the right decision for Miami, the city, the county and the University of Miami," Shannon said.

But many, including star safety Kenny Phillips, have previously said the lure of the Orange Bowl was partly why they became Hurricanes.

"Running out of the Orange Bowl tunnel is an amazing feeling," Phillips told The Miami Herald in March. "The stadium is filled with people and they're all screaming and it looks beautiful. Running out of Dolphin Stadium might not feel the same."

There's a sense among some move supporters that playing in Dolphin Stadium would help recruiting, even though the facility is farther from campus.

There's no replays at the Orange Bowl; Dolphin Stadium, meanwhile, has two of the largest replay screens in the world, along with all sorts of other high-tech bells and whistles that simply don't exist in the Canes' current home.

"I don't necessarily wish for it, but I understand," former Miami star and newly enshrined Pro Football Hall of Famer Michael Irvin said. "Tradition is great. I tell people all the time it's great to have that tradition we have at the Orange Bowl. But we have to move. We have to keep up _ or all we'll have is that history. If we don't keep getting the recruits, we won't be able to make any more history. It's a business. People have to understand."

Not everyone does.

About 65 fans, including some longtime season-ticket holders, rallied outside the Orange Bowl last Saturday. Another 3,700 people who want Miami to continue playing in the stadium have signed an online petition, some leaving comments directed toward university officials.

Mangini, who organized the rally, can only hope someone at UM is listening.

"The Orange Bowl is the signature of Miami," Mangini said. "To have this not here any longer would be a travesty."

NormanPride
8/9/2007, 11:35 AM
About 65 fans

It's nice to see an entire fanbase get behind something like this.

hookem31
8/9/2007, 12:01 PM
Those are the only ones that aren't in jail.

NormanPride
8/9/2007, 12:23 PM
You're not a true Miami fan unless you're in jail, though.

hookem31
8/9/2007, 12:35 PM
Good point.

OSUAggie
8/9/2007, 12:42 PM
I wonder - assuming the $206-million renovation is done - if the Orange Bowl Game would be moved back to the Orange Bowl?

soonerinabilene
8/9/2007, 12:46 PM
surely there is a miami hs stadium closer to campus that can at least make it look like the stands 3/4 full instead of 1/2 full. They should look into that.

Tear Down This Wall
8/9/2007, 12:55 PM
Those are the only ones that aren't in jail.

Post of the Year Nominee

Osce0la
8/9/2007, 01:13 PM
surely there is a miami hs stadium closer to campus that can at least make it look like the stands 3/4 full instead of 1/2 full. They should look into that.

Basically about the point I was about to make...

I saw this in the article:

"Running out of the Orange Bowl tunnel is an amazing feeling," Phillips told The Miami Herald in March. "The stadium is filled with people
and was wondering when was the last time this guy went to a UM game at the Orange Bowl...

snp
8/9/2007, 01:25 PM

or a true player.

Seamus
8/9/2007, 01:45 PM
Post of the Year Nominee

Second that.

colleyvillesooner
8/9/2007, 01:47 PM
Post of the Year Nominee

Second that.

Somewhere, GDC is losing his ****.

AlabamaSooner
8/9/2007, 01:56 PM
As empty as the Orange Bowl looks on television as it is, I can only imagine all that empty space in the upper decks at Dolphin Stadium. Watching UM games makes me even prouder to be apart of a truely awesome fanbase.

47straight
8/9/2007, 04:20 PM
I love how coach shannon tries to rope the city and county into it. Good luck getting the taxpayers to pay for a place for your private school players to play other than the exercise yard at the pen.

KantoSooner
8/9/2007, 09:26 PM
All good hearted people hate the hurricanes, their families and all their friends and wish them bad luck and disease all the days of their lives.

Paperclip
8/9/2007, 11:05 PM
The same number of Longhorn players that are in jail.

fixed :)

SteelClip49
8/10/2007, 01:02 AM
11 Orange Bowl wins for OU as well. That should have been mentioned in the article. The most Orange Bowl wins belong in Norman overall with 12!!!!.

hookem31
8/10/2007, 03:17 AM
fixed :)

Should've known... ;)

soonervegas
8/10/2007, 11:24 AM
I'd rather go to Dolphins stadium when we play there. 2 Birds with one stone.

I thought that is where we were playing them.

Soonerfan88
8/11/2007, 02:21 PM
Why don't Irvin and the other Miami players rolling in their NFL $$$ pony up and purchase/upgrade the Orange Bowl for "The U"? I always read about them hanging around when recruits visit, can't they bring their checkbook with them?

If our return game is played at the Orange Bowl, no chance I'll be attending but Pro Player is a possibility.

colleyvillesooner
8/11/2007, 10:54 PM
I thought that is where we were playing them.

Only if they stop playing at the orange bowl.

colleyvillesooner
8/21/2007, 10:39 AM
Gone.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2984425

Miami leaving Orange Bowl, will play in Dolphins' home

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Miami will play home football games at Dolphin Stadium starting in 2008, leaving the historic but decaying Orange Bowl after seven decades.

Orange Bowl

Robert Sullivan/Getty Images

The Orange Bowl will be the home of the Hurricanes for one more season.

The university's trustees decided Tuesday to make the much-debated move, which could generate $2 million or more in extra revenue annually for the Hurricanes' athletic department. City officials unsuccessfully tried to keep Miami at the Orange Bowl by promising $206 million in upgrades.

"This is a painful and sad decision," Miami president Donna Shalala said.

Miami first played at the Orange Bowl, about eight miles from its campus, in 1937. The Hurricanes won three national championship games on that field, had a NCAA-record 58-game home winning streak from 1985 through 1994 and have drawn more than 17 million fans there over the years.

But the stadium's facade is rusting, upgrades are needed and the building lacks many amenities that modern stadiums have -- such as the luxury suites and video replay screens.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

SteelClip49
8/21/2007, 11:44 AM
all I know is the Orange Bowl better not be torn down because of its historical existence. Oklahoma has played in 16 Orange Bowl games there and won 11. Not just Miami but like Oklahoma and others it has served as an important establishment in the history of college football.

royalfan5
8/21/2007, 12:26 PM
all I know is the Orange Bowl better not be torn down because of its historical existence. Oklahoma has played in 16 Orange Bowl games there and won 11. Not just Miami but like Oklahoma and others it has served as an important establishment in the history of college football.
It will be leveled for a new Marlins park. It isn't worth the 200 Million plus in structural repairs needed to get it back to code.

InTexasandImStuck
8/21/2007, 05:27 PM
It will be leveled for a new Marlins park. It isn't worth the 200 Million plus in structural repairs needed to get it back to code.

City politics cost the nation an incredible football stadium. Actually the OB and Dolphin Stadium are the same capacity.

While home attendance sucks you will find on September 8th as most worthy opponents do that our ticket allotment was sold out. And the victory party will be at the LNC following the ars kicking.

arcman46
8/21/2007, 06:56 PM
As sad as it is, I would have to say that if the Canes go to Pro Player, then I think it will be a short time before the U drops football. First of all they don't have either the fan base or the tradition to make that kind of a move. And they were really close to losing football last year after all the problems. The reason it would be sad is that for about a decade, decade and a half they were one of the winningest programs in college football.

soonerboomer93
8/21/2007, 07:02 PM
share the crack please...

InTexasandImStuck
8/21/2007, 07:41 PM
Nice work.. The U is football. From 1985-1987 Oklahoma played everyone and won . Then they played Miami and lost..

33-0 against the world.
0-3 against THE U!!!

arcman46
8/21/2007, 07:56 PM
Nice work.. The U is football. From 1985-1987 Oklahoma played everyone and won . Then they played Miami and lost..

33-0 against the world.
0-3 against THE U!!!

I disagree, the U's tradition started in the 80's, and while they have been consistently good since, Donna Shalala almost pulled the plug on the program last year. When I said that it was likely that they would lose football, I also said it was sad, because OU and Miami have tradition from those 80's teams. I still stand by my statement that it is likely the U will lose football if they move from the Orange Bowl.

OUstud
8/21/2007, 08:09 PM
As sad as it is, I would have to say that if the Canes go to Pro Player, then I think it will be a short time before the U drops football. First of all they don't have either the fan base or the tradition to make that kind of a move. And they were really close to losing football last year after all the problems. The reason it would be sad is that for about a decade, decade and a half they were one of the winningest programs in college football.

You forget not 3 years ago this was an elite team in college football. I think Shannon will do a good job cleaning up the program and eventually winning. They may have some attendance issues, but they aren't dropping football. Now, if this was Florida International or something, that would be different.

r5TPsooner
8/21/2007, 08:10 PM
Why don't Irvin and the other Miami players rolling in their NFL $$$ pony up and purchase/upgrade the Orange Bowl for "The U"? I always read about them hanging around when recruits visit, can't they bring their checkbook with them?

If our return game is played at the Orange Bowl, no chance I'll be attending but Pro Player is a possibility.

Probably because there extra income goes to ex-wives, child support, lawyers, and there drug dealers.

colleyvillesooner
8/21/2007, 08:17 PM
While home attendance sucks you will find on September 8th as most worthy opponents do that our ticket allotment was sold out.

Is that why I was able to order extra Miami tickets? Oh no, wait, that was because you guys didn't sell out your allotment.

We'll show you how that's done in 09.

KantoSooner
8/21/2007, 08:26 PM

Good Thought!
Maybe a local high school or reformatory has a practice field. Maybe even with lights!

arcman46
8/21/2007, 09:32 PM
You forget not 3 years ago this was an elite team in college football. I think Shannon will do a good job cleaning up the program and eventually winning. They may have some attendance issues, but they aren't dropping football. Now, if this was Florida International or something, that would be different.

I agree, and if you read my post, you would see that I would like not to see the U lose football. But I think Shannon is on a short leash and if the program doesn't end up getting cleaned up, then the move to Pro Player will be one more nail in the coffin for Miami football.

SoonerKnight
8/21/2007, 09:52 PM
If they lose football we lose a chance of creating new history. That is OU kicking MiamiU's arse in football. I am alll for new traditions!!! LOL ;)

illinisooner
8/21/2007, 11:00 PM
Were they really close to dropping football?

47straight
8/22/2007, 12:45 AM

Heck no, after the riot/brawl they took away the offenders' bling for three days and called it even. They weren't even close to shutting down football. They'd have all 58 season ticket holders ****ed off.

47straight
8/22/2007, 12:48 AM
Is that why I was able to order extra Miami tickets? Oh no, wait, that was because you guys didn't sell out your allotment.

http://members.airsoftcanada.com/digital_assasin/Forum%20Stuff/Misc/oh_snap.gif

snp
8/22/2007, 12:58 AM

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6024/miamidropfootballts9.th.jpg (http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=miamidropfootballts9.jpg)

47straight
8/22/2007, 01:13 AM
That SI article was in 95, though.

colleyvillesooner
8/22/2007, 07:44 AM
and it was an SI suggestion. Nobody follows those. :D

royalfan5
8/22/2007, 08:23 AM
They were before they hired the guy whose name is not allowed to be spelled around here in the mid to late 70's

85sooners
8/22/2007, 10:58 AM
****em!!

DravenCult
8/22/2007, 11:38 AM
As empty as the Orange Bowl looks on television as it is, I can only imagine all that empty space in the upper decks at Dolphin Stadium. Watching UM games makes me even prouder to be apart of a truely awesome fanbase.

Of course, I see what you mean.

http://www.formula4play.com/images/funny/789732.1.jpg

DravenCult
8/22/2007, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanPride

or a true player.

Oh how quickly we forget...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q250/FrontLobo/si%20jinx%20cover/oklahoma1989.jpg

47straight
8/22/2007, 12:01 PM
Of course, I see what you mean.

http://www.formula4play.com/images/funny/789732.1.jpg

Oh no. Please no. Not the picture that has been farked for every team from Lawton Ike to AC Sparta. I just don't know if our self-esteem could take it.

snp
8/22/2007, 07:23 PM
Oh how quickly we forget...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q250/FrontLobo/si%20jinx%20cover/oklahoma1989.jpg

I said fan, not player.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8268/laughatmiamirz9.th.jpg (http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=laughatmiamirz9.jpg)

KantoSooner
8/22/2007, 08:28 PM
I went to OU during the end-time of King Barry and although the national press made much of a 'football team rampaging across the campus' it simply was not so. Other than a relatively few well publicized incidents, it was no big deal.
Switzer was nailed because his enemies both in and outside of the adminstration had finally built up to a tipping point. The university at that time was led by committee (okay, acting Law School Dean Swank, acting in the role of acting president - you all getting the degree of commitment and spine that double special assignment was likely to engender?) And the committee finally had the cover they needed to get the knives out for Switzer.
Sh*t happens and the King moved on; but let's not conflate a few pretty minor infractions with losing significant portions of ones team year after year.......which would be true of several programs that could be named.