PDA

View Full Version : interesting evolution twist

jk the sooner fan
8/8/2007, 10:12 PM
well if this doesnt get the christians and the scientists fighting, i'm not sure what will

:)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,292572,00.html

Harry Beanbag
8/8/2007, 10:21 PM
I thought scientists reached a definite consensus on evolution. Hmmmm...

Fraggle145
8/8/2007, 10:32 PM
That is exactly what would be expected by evolution. there are side branches in the evolution of pretty much everything. Look at African Rift Lake cichlids as a good example.

BTW, for anyone that wants to read the orignal article in Nature PM me and I can send the .pdf

Skysooner
8/8/2007, 11:27 PM
but, but Harry Potter is the debil!!!!

sanantoniosooner
8/8/2007, 11:48 PM
I think it's obvious by most of the threads around here that Homo sapiens and Neanderthals currently coexist.

OU Adonis
8/9/2007, 12:28 AM
I think it's obvious by most of the threads around here that Homo sapiens and Neanderthals currently coexist.

I am no fag!

Chuck Bao
8/9/2007, 05:43 AM
That’s an interesting article. I wonder about that bit in the article that our ancestors and their cousins living side-by-side for like thousands of years. But those cousins aren’t here anymore and our DNA tells us that we are all recently related.

So what happened?

Caveman 1: Did you check out that babe?
Caveman 2: Huh? What babe?!?!!!
Caveman 1: The hairy one. She’s like bent over and showing you her hairy…ummm…look, she can at least keep you warm at night.

<prostitution invented>

Caveman 1,001: Did you check out that kid of the neighbors.
Caveman 1,002: Huh? What kid?!?!!!
Caveman 1,001: The hairy one. She’s a troll if I ever saw one. Let’s throw rocks at the neighbors.

<morality invented>

Caveman 1,000,001: Did you check out that article about human evolution?
Caveman 1,000,002: Huh? What article?!?!!!
Caveman 1,000,001: The one that says that our family tree is confusing. Blasphemers, I tell you. We’re made in God’s image.

ouflak
8/9/2007, 06:19 AM
I'm not sure if Creationists would really care about this. As far as I understand their argument, they are just flat out against evolution. That it might be a different kind of evolution, I don't think will make much of a difference.

crawfish
8/9/2007, 09:29 AM
Imagine ToE as a big puzzle. We're slowly putting pieces together, but we're far from the complete picture. The more pieces we put properly in place, the more obvious the big picture will be; however, the details we derive will change from time to time.

Scott D
8/9/2007, 09:45 AM
Imagine ToE as a big puzzle. We're slowly putting pieces together, but we're far from the complete picture. The more pieces we put properly in place, the more obvious the big picture will be; however, the details we derive will change from time to time.

blasphemer ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
8/9/2007, 10:29 AM
There is so much we do not know...Anyone who tries to say we know what is, is not being true to science. Just think of all the old theories that are now being called into question.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/9/2007, 10:42 AM
It's the equivalent of finding that your grandmother and great-grandmother were sisters rather than mother-daughter, said study co-author Fred Spoor...

Wow.

I didn't know the origin of mankind started in Arkansas.

Taxman71
8/9/2007, 11:17 AM
How is this finding any different from asserting that man descended from apes, yet man currently coexists with apes? Current science will be junk science in a 100 years.

soonerbrat
8/9/2007, 11:28 AM
well if this doesnt get the christians and the scientists fighting, i'm not sure what will

:)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,292572,00.html

What about the Christian Scientists?

ALL HAIL XENU!

Ike
8/9/2007, 11:31 AM
I thought scientists reached a definite consensus on evolution. Hmmmm...
they have reached a consnesus that evolution happened.

The jury is still out (and will be for a long time) as to exactly which evolutionary steps brought us to where we are today, and when they happened.
I'm not all that surprised by this finding.

yermom
8/9/2007, 11:33 AM
How is this finding any different from asserting that man descended from apes, yet man currently coexists with apes? Current science will be junk science in a 100 years.

perhaps you should learn something about evolution before citing it or calling it junk science...

according to the theory, apes and man have common ancestors, but man is not decended from modern apes

TheHumanAlphabet
8/9/2007, 11:55 AM
What about the Christian Scientists?

ALL HAIL XENU!

Do you mean Scientologists? Christian Scientists are a different faith.

Any way - Xenu/Xemu spek!

soonerscuba
8/9/2007, 11:57 AM
perhaps you should learn something about evolution before citing it or calling it junk science...

according to the theory, apes and man have common ancestors, but man is not decended from modern apes

Shut your heathen mouth.

yermom
8/9/2007, 12:25 PM
it's one thing to discount a theory because it doesn't mesh with your beliefs, it's another to misrepresent a theory to make it look like "junk science"

mdklatt
8/9/2007, 12:27 PM
How is this finding any different from asserting that man descended from apes, yet man currently coexists with apes?

Do you have children?

rufnek05
8/9/2007, 12:29 PM
i thought we came from a mutant fish-frog that had but-sex with a squirrel?

frankensooner
8/9/2007, 12:36 PM
Nah, that's how aggielites were made. ;)

Taxman71
8/9/2007, 01:04 PM
I thought this thread was a parody, geesh.

Tear Down This Wall
8/9/2007, 01:11 PM
They're like dogs chasing their tails, these scientists who try to prove we're from apes. You just sit back and laugh at them.

soonerscuba
8/9/2007, 01:26 PM
Stupid scientists with their theories and their facts. I mean why don't they believe something that makes sense, like coming from a talking snake in a tree.

mdklatt
8/9/2007, 01:34 PM
Stupid scientists with their theories and their facts. I mean why don't they believe something that makes sense, like coming from a talking snake in a tree.

You'll believe what a book of stories, myths, and legends tells you the magical wizard in the sky wants you to believe and you'll you like it, mister!

Fugue
8/9/2007, 01:41 PM
That's right, cause if anyone has all the anwers, it's the humans on planet earth.

:texan:

mdklatt
8/9/2007, 01:45 PM
That's right, cause if anyone has all the anwers, it's the humans on planet earth.

Who wrote the Bible again? Oh right--the magical sky wizard. How do we know this? Because the Bible says that everything in the Bible is true. And if everything in the Bible is true, then the Bible must be correct when it says that everything in the Bible is true. QED

Fugue
8/9/2007, 01:51 PM
Who wrote the Bible again? Oh right--the magical sky wizard. How do we know this? Because the Bible says that everything in the Bible is true.

I agree, that's why I put my complete faith on the minds of beings on one planet in a universe that the same humans know absolutely nothing about. Makes perfect sense.

Tear Down This Wall
8/9/2007, 01:55 PM
I agree, that's why I put my complete faith on the minds of beings on one planet in a universe that the same humans know absolutely nothing about. Makes perfect sense.

Why do you hate monkeys? :D

Fugue
8/9/2007, 01:59 PM
Why do you hate monkeys? :D

I'm anti monkey butt.

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/images/products/large/ambp.jpg

Taxman71
8/9/2007, 02:19 PM
All I know is, if you are eventually proven wrong, I would rather be on the Christian side than the evolution side.

jk the sooner fan
8/9/2007, 02:21 PM
man, that whole jesus thing really gets under mdklats skin...

Tulsa_Fireman
8/9/2007, 02:23 PM
Jesus freed the slaves.

mdklatt
8/9/2007, 02:24 PM
All I know is, if you are eventually proven wrong, I would rather be on the Christian side than the evolution side.

Many Christians don't think those are two different "sides". They think that religion shouldn't try to explain science and science shouldn't try to explain religion. Go figure.

Taxman71
8/9/2007, 02:32 PM
That is getting into semantics regarding what constitutes "science". Assuming "science" must be secular, then the two should not overlap in theory. However, science is essentially limited to "wordly" things while religeon focuses on spiritual issues, which, in fact, do overlap.

The Bible was never intended to tell people everything there is to know about everything out there. But to think mankind will ever unlock the secrets of the universe or the meaning of life from a purely scientific basis doesn't make sense.

Scott D
8/9/2007, 02:34 PM

:texan:

you know, the castrati had all the answers. That's why the pope outlawed it ;)

Scott D
That is getting into semantics regarding what constitutes "science". Assuming "science" must be secular, then the two should not overlap in theory. However, science is essentially limited to "wordly" things while religeon focuses on spiritual issues, which, in fact, do overlap.

The Bible was never intended to tell people everything there is to know about everything out there. But to think mankind will ever unlock the secrets of the universe or the meaning of life from a purely scientific basis doesn't make sense.

REPENT HEATHEN!

Tulsa_Fireman
Many Christians don't think those are two different "sides". They think that religion shouldn't try to explain science and science shouldn't try to explain religion. Go figure.

Or in the inverse, religion explains the scientific unknown and science can clarify theological doubts.

The whole, "God is great and His creation is in his image, but considering I'm just some poor schlub that runs into burning buildings for a living, it makes sense that, given our ability to reason, that God's creation was a very, VERY complex thing. That the story of the Genesis was a means to put a very, VERY complex subject in an easily understood premise for a bunch of guys that weren't too far from rubbin' sticks together and knockin' their mate in the head."

Why does it have to be so cut and dried? Is God not so great that in His divine plan, evolution can NOT be creation? And that His creation wasn't a whiz-bang just-add-water instance, but more along the lines of the gulf between instinct and sentience?

Who the hell are we to declare blind faith on ANY side of the fence, both scientific and theological? When faith in the fact of creation, not the details, seems to be where our faith should actually lie?

Taxman71
8/9/2007, 02:38 PM
That was very deep for a Head Nose Picker.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/9/2007, 02:42 PM
It takes effort and study to get to the top, man.

ouflak
8/9/2007, 03:06 PM

So if I am a practising Christian, and believe in evolution (which happens to be the case), and I'm proven wrong, does that mean I should have been a Mormon the whole time?

Ohh man.... :(

Taxman71
8/9/2007, 03:18 PM
The proven wrong part refers to whether you believe in heaven and hell or not. Obviously, the previous post was made with the presumption that evolution believers were not Christians (which is not necessarily the case as you stated). I am not qualified to answer your question about how to reconcile the two beliefs.

Tear Down This Wall
8/9/2007, 03:50 PM
you know, the castrati had all the answers. That's why the pope outlawed it ;)

The pope represents Catholocism, not Christianity. There's a difference, just ask him. Or, ask any of them.

Vaevictis
8/9/2007, 03:59 PM

Hooray for Pascal's wager. Of course, Pascal's wager assumes that there are only two possible outcomes: Christianity or atheist.

It could be that both Christians and evolutionists are wrong, but God hates the Christians and likes the evolutionists just fine (misguided though they are in this scenario).

Fraggle145
8/9/2007, 05:16 PM
I cant believe I missed this today. Damn it I guess since I came from monkeys I'm going to hell. at least my monkey butt will be cured though.

Harry Beanbag
8/9/2007, 05:23 PM
they have reached a consnesus that evolution happened.

The jury is still out (and will be for a long time) as to exactly which evolutionary steps brought us to where we are today, and when they happened.
I'm not all that surprised by this finding.

Oh I know all that, I was just halfway making a joke about scientific consensus that is proclaimed as cast in stone non-negotiable fact and anybody who is skeptical of arrogant mankind knowing everything there is to know about something that we will probably never know all the answers to being treated as idiots. (Wow, that's a really long sentence)

My comment was directed at other issues for the most part, not this one.

GottaHavePride
8/9/2007, 08:32 PM

Argh! It's just a total misunderstanding of what science is. Science doesn't have to be secular. All science means it that all scientific knowledge must be derived from a process of experimentation and (here's the clincher) repeatable results.

Which means that the creationist view of the Universe may be true, but it cannot be scientifically proven until someone else manages to repeat the results. Until that time, creationism is a hypothesis at best.

mdklatt
8/9/2007, 09:34 PM
All science means it that all scientific knowledge must be derived from a process of experimentation and (here's the clincher) repeatable results.

Which means that the creationist view of the Universe may be true, but it cannot be scientifically proven until someone else manages to repeat the results. Until that time, creationism is a hypothesis at best.

Uh oh, now you did it. You just opened the door to all the "I'll believe in evolution when scientists can turn an amoeba into a chimpanzee" arguments.

Just to clarify, we wouldn't have to watch God create another universe in order to have scientific evidence of Creationism. Similarly, we don't need to turn amoeba into chimpanzees in order to have scientific evidence of evolution. There is no way to explain Creationism without invoking a supernatural explanation, which by the very definition of science is not science.

sanantoniosooner
8/9/2007, 09:39 PM
I'm getting this weird feeling that everyone is going to change their minds because of this thread.

GottaHavePride
8/9/2007, 10:06 PM
Tee hee.

Scott D
8/10/2007, 04:33 PM
The pope represents Catholocism, not Christianity. There's a difference, just ask him. Or, ask any of them.

wtf does that have to do with the Castrati?

Farinelli is gonna have to set you straight...heathen.

Fugue
8/10/2007, 04:36 PM
Farinelli is gonna have to set you straight...heathen.

I don't have the balls to do it.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/bushtit/smilies/rimshot.gif

jk the sooner fan
8/10/2007, 04:39 PM
i'm no scientist but i find it interesting that the scientist that made the discovery, the one who's made a career out of the very subject.....doesnt seem to know what he's talking about when put up against the weathermen here on the board

as a christian, i think its possible and reasonable for science and creationism to exist together

Scott D
8/10/2007, 04:41 PM
as a christian what is your position on the pope outlawing castrati....this is the true evolutionary question.

jk the sooner fan
8/10/2007, 04:43 PM
i'm not catholic, so i don't pay attention to much he says or does

and fwiw, i didn't post the article to say that evolution didn't occur or doesn't exist in any form, i just found it interesting.....i'll keep personal how i've resolved the whole issue on how it coincides with creationism

Scott D
8/10/2007, 04:48 PM
probably a good thing, since the pope that outlawed it has been dead for about 150 years.

mdklatt
8/10/2007, 04:50 PM
i'm no scientist but i find it interesting that the scientist that made the discovery, the one who's made a career out of the very subject.....doesnt seem to know what he's talking about when put up against the weathermen here on the board

WTF are you talking about?

as a christian, i think its possible and reasonable for science and creationism to exist together

It's possible for marshmallow and chocolate to exist together on a s'more, but they are two distinct things. "Creation science" is not science. It's an attempt to "prove" a predetermined conclusion. That is not science. The invoking of "God did it" as a complete explanation is not science. If that's the answer to everything, why even bother asking questions?

soonervegas
8/10/2007, 05:07 PM
Matt.
Damon.

sanantoniosooner
8/10/2007, 05:55 PM
This thread made me convert to Hindu.