PDA

View Full Version : Another piece of evidence that Thompson was benched way too soon in 2005...

Tear Down This Wall
8/8/2007, 03:14 PM
...he's got a good shot at making the Packers roster as a free agent. Go, ENA, go!

Packers: Thompson the No. 3 QB?

By JASON WILDE 608-252-6176
August 8, 2007

GREEN BAY — Tom Clements wanted the word back the moment it escaped his lips.

The Green Bay Packers' quarterbacks coach had just been asked about No. 4 quarterback Paul Thompson, the undrafted rookie free agent from Oklahoma who has opened eyes during the first 11 days of training camp and could make a legitimate run at the No. 3 job behind Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers.

"We're surpris ..." Clements said, catching himself. "Uh, we're happy with him."

The truth is, the Packers are both — surprised and happy. While second-year quarterback Ingle Martin is still working as the No. 3, Thompson, who was projected by most NFL teams to be a wide receiver after his yo-yo career with the Sooners, has shown enough promise with his arm strength and athleticism he just might be a better long-term prospect than Martin, a fifth-round pick from Furman last year.

Asked why he was so surprised by — uh, happy with — Thompson, Clements replied, "I guess because we really didn't know about him. I looked at him a little bit on film before the draft, and I liked him, but until you get someone in and they actually start performing in your system, you really don't know about them. ... He's a diligent worker and he has a lot of ability. He's progressing."

Thompson came to the NFL with a host of questions because of the way his Oklahoma career played out. After spending two years backing up Jason White — including White's Heisman Trophy-winning 2003 season — Thompson redshirted in 2004 before winning the starting job during the 2005 training camp.

But when he struggled in a season-opening loss to Texas Christian, coach Bob Stoops benched him in favor of Rhett Bomar, and Thompson asked to be moved to wide receiver.

"Because I didn't want to back up again," explained Thompson, who ended up catching 11 passes for 106 yards in 10 games. "I wanted to play."

He was set to play receiver again as a senior when Bomar was kicked off the team by Stoops before the start of training camp last August — Bomar had violated NCAA rules by accepting money for a no-show job at a Norman, Okla., car dealership — and Stoops asked Thompson to move back to quarterback. He did, throwing for 2,590 yards and 21 touchdowns to lead the Sooners to the Fiesta Bowl, where they lost an unforgettable overtime thriller to Boise State 43-42.

Still, when he went undrafted in April, the Packers were the only team willing to consider Thompson as a quarterback. But Green Bay signed Louisiana-Lafayette's Jerry Babb, and Thompson signed with the New York Jets as a receiver. When Thompson worked out an agreement with the Packers to play quarterback, the Jets let him go and he signed with Green Bay May 16.

Although he struggled at first, the Packers saw enough that they released Babb and took Thompson to camp. Now, entering Saturday night's preseason opener at Pittsburgh, he's mounting a challenge for Martin's job.

"We have a pretty good battle for the No. 3 spot," coach Mike McCarthy admitted.

Natural ability

While Thompson's repetitions are limited when Favre practices — he gets one snap at most out of every five — he gets more playing time when Favre is out, as he was Tuesday morning. During that practice, Thompson threw back-to-back touchdown passes during an 11-on-11 session, lasering a picture-perfect pass to wide receiver Chris Francies on an out route against cornerback Frank Walker and lofting a high touch pass over linebacker Desmond Bishop to tight end Donald Lee.

"I'm definitely feeling more and more comfortable week-in and week-out with the offense and studying film and going through my playbook," Thompson said.

"At quarterback, more so than any other position, if you don't know what you're doing, then you're not going to be productive. So little by little, it's starting to come and I'm becoming more comfortable."

Thompson is at a disadvantage because Martin spent all of last season in the offense. Martin also has improved over last training camp, but Thompson is clearly more athletic and has a stronger arm.

"He has a lot of natural ability. He moves around well, has a strong arm, and he flashes a lot of talent when he's in there," Clements said.

Added Packers general manager Ted Thompson (no relation): "He's always the fourth guy in line, which is just the nature of the beast. But when he gets in there, I think he carries himself pretty well. He stands, (he's a) nice-looking athlete, stands tall in the pocket. I think he's got a good arm. He's made a few good throws, and he can move around a little bit. There's a little something about him."

Whether that something translates into the No. 3 job will be decided during the preseason. But for his part, Paul Thompson isn't interested in settling for a spot on the practice squad. He wants more than to be a developmental guy.

"I'm definitely not planning on being on the practice squad. Everyone here is trying to take someone else's spot, and I'm trying to do the same," Thompson said. "The No. 3 spot is what I'm going for, and I feel like I have the ability to take it. That's my mindset. We'll go from there.''

MojoRisen
8/8/2007, 03:25 PM
There is no Doubt - we need to get our young QB's more experience somehow.

He really hasn't played that much - and did pretty well last year at times. Made some mistakes but was all around pretty damn good.

I am sure his work ethic is showing through - that is a kind of guy you want on your team - if he is going to be a #3 guy- and set examples.

colleyvillesooner
8/8/2007, 03:32 PM
Yeah, that totally proves something from 2 years ago.

I am a huge Paul Thompson fan, but let it go. Just post his good news with the Packers and let it die.

Ash
8/8/2007, 03:33 PM
All the best to PT. I hope he makes it and has a chance to improve and work on his game.

Tear Down This Wall
8/8/2007, 03:45 PM
It proves NFL people are impressed with him. Mainly, NFL people accustomed to watching Brett Favre. The kid should have been given more than one game in 2005.

Anyway, good to see him getting a shot.

zeke
8/8/2007, 03:49 PM
PT is a great guy. Hope he makes it.

FaninAma
8/8/2007, 04:09 PM
I'll wait and see where Bomar's career winds up before I decide whether PT deserved more than one game.

It's nice to see that the Packers have been able to help PT improve his accuracy over the middle and on the deep sideline routes......or maybe the Packers have installed a new passing offense where most of their passes are QB rollouts throwing to a short sidline route receiver.

PT is a great team player and his work ethic may very well land him a spot on an NFL roster.

sooner518
8/8/2007, 04:16 PM
It's nice to see that the Packers have been able to help PT improve his accuracy over the middle and on the deep sideline routes......or maybe the Packers have installed a new passing offense where most of their passes are QB rollouts throwing to a short sidline route receiver.

that was harsh

Collier11
8/8/2007, 04:25 PM
Anyone who didnt look at the talent that Bomar had and the potential of starting 3 or 4 years and say that a down year in 05' would be worth it if it meant his development was accelerated, then you are a lying fool! I love PT, absolutely love the guy and I am so proud to call him a Sooner, he stands for everything that is Great about OU, but he was not the long term answer. No one ever doubted his ability, they just bought into Bomar's amazing ability which remains to be seen as to how that pans out! You all forget that very knowledgeable people were calling Bomar the most talented and skilled qb in OU history before he zapped himself!

FaninAma
8/8/2007, 04:26 PM
that was harsh

It wasn't intended to be. Perhaps because of the situation into which Paul was thrust he just never looked comfortable throwing the deeper patterns....especially over the middle.

After Bomar was booted, Paul was the only guy who commanded the respect of the players and coaches to be able to lead the team at the QB position and he did an admirable job last year.

I'm not saying he won't do well in the NFL.... it's just from a skill level standpoint he's got a lot of ground to make up to be able to see any playing time. As a 3rd string QB he should get that time and with his work ethic and athletic ability he could become a legitimate NFL QB.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/8/2007, 04:34 PM
They can just shut up about ENA's 'natural ability'. He worked his *** off for that ability. He has earned everything that he has gotten and that includes my admiration. I'll settle for him being the Pack's Jason Garrett for now. What a stud. ENA is a total stud.

sooneron
8/8/2007, 04:42 PM
I hope he makes the roster and proves a lot of people wrong.

Collier11
8/8/2007, 05:02 PM
Agreed and Agreed JWTK and SR!!!!!

OUTrumpet
8/8/2007, 05:16 PM
God, I hope this doesn't translate into "ZOMG ENA SHOULD HAVE PLAYED IN TEH SUGAR BOWL" again.

TopDawg
8/8/2007, 05:55 PM

I am a huge Paul Thompson fan, but let it go. Just post his good news with the Packers and let it die.

Word.

I was pulling for PT to be the starter in '05, but you could argue that his overthrow on the first play of the game and his fumble in the redzone is evidence that he should not have been named the starter at all. And at least that evidence has a more direct link to two years ago, unlike this...which, by the way, I'm thrilled to hear.

goingoneight
8/8/2007, 08:05 PM
Paul was interviewd shortly after the TCU loss and he said he realized that he didn't perform very well, and hinted that he took some heat for the loss from fans and people around Norman. I remember sitting in section 20, Row 60 (I'm usually on that side everytime facing the video board) hearing people boo him when he took a few snaps against aTm in 2005 while Bomar sat out. People forget that he ASKED to play WR. He knows how OU football works, we don't run 2-QB systems. We develop starters and have decent backups for emergency situations. When Bomar was on campus, it had to go through his head at least once that Bomar was a future Heisman winner or MNC, while he was O-fer as a Sooner starter.
PT is the man... period.

goingoneight
8/8/2007, 08:07 PM
Word.

I was pulling for PT to be the starter in '05, but you could argue that his overthrow on the first play of the game and his fumble in the redzone is evidence that he should not have been named the starter at all. And at least that evidence has a more direct link to two years ago, unlike this...which, by the way, I'm thrilled to hear.

Bomar fumbled way more than PT did in that game. It was, in fact Bomar's fumble that set up TCU's winning score. Bomar was two things, the QB of the future who we needed to go ahead and bring along, and a crowd favorite.

TopDawg
8/8/2007, 09:24 PM
Look, I'm not baggin on PT and I was ****ed at the fans who were yelling for Bomar in that game. BUT, PT's redzone fumble was huge. We had a chance to say "Enough of this crap" and take control of the game at that point. He fumbled and we never really had a real chance of getting momentum back in that game. Sure, Bomar contributed to that too....

I was just pointing out that PT's fumble and overthrow were better indicators of who should have and should not have started that game than anything that happened just in Green Bay.

sooneron
8/8/2007, 09:30 PM
TD, why do you and others bring up the fumble in tcu game? If I remember correctly, that was a helmet to ball hit- the qb hangs on to those about 10% of the time.
I'm not arguing, but that and a fairly deep timing pattern for the first pass seem like weak pickens still to this day.
I don't get it. He was lackluster, but Bomar's fumble was borderline retarded.

birddog
8/8/2007, 09:30 PM
pt was fighting for the starting job when he was a sooner. every little mistake was magnified because he and bomar were basically even up until that fateful saturday afternoon.

now he is fighting for a 3rd string roster spot. i've never seen anyone on here argue who should be the backup to the backup. he has some pressure but the coaches at green bay don't expect anything out of him anyway.

i am so damn proud he was a sooner and got the chance to win a big 12 championship.

Ash
8/8/2007, 10:55 PM
God, I hope this doesn't translate into "ZOMG ENA SHOULD HAVE PLAYED IN TEH SUGAR BOWL" again.

Not quite, but it's taking a turn for the worst.

PT had some rough moments but also stepped up huge when the team needed him the most despite little game experience. I'll always be a PT fan, not because he didn't make mistakes but because he had tremendous heart and competitive fire.

arlington
8/8/2007, 11:13 PM
I really dont see the purpose of this post as it does not prove a thing. Im so happy that PT has progressed to the point that he may make an NFL roster but holding on to keep the great Ingle Martin out of a job means nothing..Will you say the same thing when Bomar turns into a high pick out of SHSU in 2 years? I will always believe going to Bomar at that time was the thing to do. If a guy on campus who had the head start that PT had on Rhett couldnt beat out the young guy, you go with youth and upside..I guess if we start Bradford or Nichol this year and Hazle turns into a practice squad guy for someone next year, the coaches screwed up, right? Matt Cassel was Matt Leinarts back up at SC and now backs up Brady in New England so SC made a huge mistake playing the wrong Matt for 3 years.

oumartin
8/8/2007, 11:26 PM
Hey,I bagged on him during that TCU game myself. I wanted that hot shot freshman to come save the day. I hope he makes it and yeah maybe they benched him a tad early but thats all in the past..

TopDawg
8/9/2007, 12:00 AM
TD, why do you and others bring up the fumble in tcu game? If I remember correctly, that was a helmet to ball hit- the qb hangs on to those about 10% of the time.
I'm not arguing, but that and a fairly deep timing pattern for the first pass seem like weak pickens still to this day.
I don't get it. He was lackluster, but Bomar's fumble was borderline retarded.

10% is a little low...but either way you're missing my point. I've supported PT in each of my posts...all I'm saying is that TDTW's "piece of evidence" is ridiculous and I'm using PT's early season struggles in '05 as my "counter-evidence."

Yes, Bomar's fumble was boneheaded. But if PT having a shot at making an NFL roster is somehow evidence that the coaches screwed up by benching him early...then his early struggles in the TCU game could just as easily be evidence that they didn't. That's all I'm saying. This is not meant to be a commentary on whether or not I'm happy for Paul or whether or not I think the coaches did pull him out to early.

It just so happens that I do think they pulled him out too early...but I don't think his presence on any NFL roster proves anything about that.

olevetonahill
8/9/2007, 12:42 AM
To hell with Yall :D Ive said PT was a good shot to make it in the NFL
Ill say it till He proves Me right or wrong:D

Big Red Ron
8/9/2007, 12:59 AM
I honestly believed then, and now with hindsight, even moreso that benching PT after one game (Chuck Longs call per BS) set OU back at least two seasons.

Maybe the biggest QB screw up since Chris Simms - Applebutter.

olevetonahill
8/9/2007, 01:20 AM
I honestly believed then and now with hindsight, evenmoreso that benching PT after one game (Chuck Longs call per BS) set OU back at least two seasons.

Yup, Bob trusts his Coaches I dont think he Micro manages .
I really Hope PT makes it Big

Wishboned
8/9/2007, 02:28 AM
This is great news for PT.

I wish him the best, he's one of my favorite Sooners of all time and is the embodiment of team player.

OUMallen
8/9/2007, 08:33 AM

Did you guys hear that? It's...LOGIC...and....REASON! :)

stoopified
8/9/2007, 09:09 AM
Anyone who didnt look at the talent that Bomar had and the potential of starting 3 or 4 years and say that a down year in 05' would be worth it if it meant his development was accelerated, then you are a lying fool! I love PT, absolutely love the guy and I am so proud to call him a Sooner, he stands for everything that is Great about OU, but he was not the long term answer. No one ever doubted his ability, they just bought into Bomar's amazing ability which remains to be seen as to how that pans out! You all forget that very knowledgeable people were calling Bomar the most talented and skilled qb in OU history before he zapped himself!True dat.

MojoRisen
8/9/2007, 09:13 AM
I think Hypel will be a better QB coach than Long - as he can focus down on them big time. Younger and more recent experience at the position.

It will be interesting to see what ENA can do at the next level - I think the whole philosophy now is going to be have 2 or 3 ready to play at any given time. Josh can manage his full attention on having the QB improve where need be -

salth2o
8/9/2007, 09:22 AM
I was in Honolulu a few weeks ago and saw that ENA has his own street.

http://www.hghpharm.com/images/mapimage.gif

colleyvillesooner
8/9/2007, 09:39 AM
I honestly believed then, and now with hindsight, even moreso that benching PT after one game (Chuck Longs call per BS) set OU back at least two seasons.

It only was a mistake cause Bomar turned out to be an off the field dumbass. He doesn't take that job with Big Red, with all the tools he had with the experience, we are probably right there with USC as NC favorites this year.

Did it set us back 2 years? Maybe. But if it went the other way, it would have set us up for a big year last year, and a huge year this year with our schedule.

MojoRisen
8/9/2007, 09:41 AM
I agree, you go with the future if it is that close to begin with - however they should have started Bomar from the get go - and as well scouted TCU a little better before assuming PT could not play.

colleyvillesooner
8/9/2007, 09:58 AM
Agreed.

FaninAma
8/9/2007, 10:20 AM

Ron, then you will agree with my sentiment that Switzer's decision to play Hollieway over Aikman set the program back for a decade because the decision to play Hollieway led to continuation of the wishbone which in turn led to Charles Thompson and all that he brought to the program(including his part in Switzer's ouster). I also think the decision to delay switching from the wishbone hurt OU for many seasons afterward in terms of recruiting.

colleyvillesooner
8/9/2007, 10:33 AM
Yeah, but that NC was pretty nice. :D

FaninAma
8/9/2007, 11:34 AM
Yeah, but that NC was pretty nice. :D

Short term gain, long term pain.

Hindsight is always 20-20. Sure the decision to play Bomar over PT looks like a bad decision now because of Bomar's subsequent bone-headed actions. But it is still my opinion that Bomar's upside is >>>> than PT's at the QB position and that is what the coaches based their decision on.

colleyvillesooner
8/9/2007, 11:47 AM
That's what I said. Bomar was the four year starter every coach looks for and they took the chance.

Newbomb Turk
8/9/2007, 11:52 AM
I think Hypel will be a better QB coach than Long

maybe, maybe not. People can rag on Long all they want about his performance as an OC, but he was a pretty damn good QB coach.

cvsooner
8/9/2007, 12:17 PM
Good for Paul, who if not my all-time most admired Sooner is in the top two. What a great situation for him. You suppose he can learn a thing or two from Brett Favre?

Really, being second or third string quarterback in the pros is the perfect job, in my view. Pretty good money, you have an incentive to stay in shape, you don't get all banged up, you get to go to all the games and ogle the cheerleaders, and you're not expected to play. And if you have to play, nobody really expects you to do well, and if you do play well, you're a hero. If you don't play well, no big deal.

MojoRisen
8/9/2007, 12:29 PM
maybe, maybe not. People can rag on Long all they want about his performance as an OC, but he was a pretty damn good QB coach.

Huepel is only coaching the QB's - I think that helps a great deal. I bet it helped Paul too.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/10/2007, 12:04 PM
I am just remembering all of those "Now don't get me wrong...I love PT and he is one of my favorite Sooners but his chances of making the NFL are about as good as Dolemite using sentence structure and punctuation!"

sooneron
8/10/2007, 12:07 PM
Good for Paul, who if not my all-time most admired Sooner is in the top two. What a great situation for him. You suppose he can learn a thing or two from Brett Favre?

Really, being second or third string quarterback in the pros is the perfect job, in my view. Pretty good money, you have an incentive to stay in shape, you don't get all banged up, you get to go to all the games and ogle the cheerleaders, and you're not expected to play. And if you have to play, nobody really expects you to do well, and if you do play well, you're a hero. If you don't play well, no big deal.
Yeah, the league minimum wouldn't suck either.

sooneron
8/10/2007, 12:10 PM
And as far as the, "I think Josh will make a better qb coach than Chuck" speakers, I'll go along with you when Josh has two Heisman runners-up and a Heisman winner in the course of 5 seasons.

101sooner
8/10/2007, 12:15 PM
Yeah, the league minimum wouldn't suck either.

Years Experience/Minimum Salary
0 $285,000
1 $360,000
2 $435,000
3 $510,000
4–6 $595,000
7–9 $720,000
10+ $820,000

I could manage to make ends meet.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/10/2007, 12:20 PM
PT kind of reminds me of Wes Welker, the more people tell him he isn't going to make it, the more he makes it.

TUSooner
8/10/2007, 01:22 PM

That's kinda my opinion. It's realy great to read that the Packers see something special in PT. Good for him, I hope he makes it big.
But why put it in the context of 2005 ?! :twinkies:

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/10/2007, 01:30 PM
Didn't the whorn coaching staff also say that there was no way PT could be a D-1 qb as well? At least they got that evaluation right ;)