PDA

View Full Version : Patterson (ex-OU signee) claims "recent trouble" at OU made him sign with Kstate

Blitzkrieg
8/8/2007, 11:20 AM
Recent issues at Oklahoma — last month the Sooners were nailed with two years probation, forced to erase eight wins from 2005 and lost two scholarships for 2008-09 and 2009-10 because of players who were paid for work they had not performed at an auto dealership — got Patterson’s attention.
“With some of the things going on at OU right now, I think it’s great I’m here. It’s like a second chance for me,” Patterson said.
“I’m playing in a pro style defense where you just attack, and it’s still the Big 12 Conference. What more could you ask for?”

Remember it's spelled W-I-L-D-C-A-T-S NOT WILDKATZ Chris.

http://www.kansascity.com/177/story/221173.html

sooner518
8/8/2007, 11:27 AM
“I’m playing in a pro style defense where you just attack, and it’s still the Big 12 Conference. What more could you ask for?”

How about the chance to win conference and national championships? Good luck with that up in the little apple. what a dumpy little town

sooner n houston
8/8/2007, 11:28 AM
Hope that wasn't a mistake for him, only time will tell.

Boomer.....
8/8/2007, 11:33 AM
It's gotta feel great to know that you are playing in a hole with high school bleachers on top of it. :rolleyes:

colleyvillesooner
8/8/2007, 11:38 AM
I think we'll be just fine without him.

He never said anything about the possible sanctions against us as a reason before. Then, wasn't he mad at us because we didn't offer again right away after he failed to make it academically twice?

sooner518
8/8/2007, 11:40 AM
It's gotta feel great to know that you are playing in a hole with high school bleachers on top of it. :rolleyes:
only part of their stadium has old, splintered wooden benches to sit in. The rest is state of the art!! :D

Widescreen
8/8/2007, 11:48 AM
It's really too bad everything turned out the way it did. He was about as high on OU as anyone I've ever seen coming out of high school.

colleyvillesooner
8/8/2007, 11:53 AM
Yep. I was really pumped to see this guy coming to OU. Even bragged him up to my Big 12 friends. too bad.

yermom
8/8/2007, 12:00 PM
sour grapes

colleyvillesooner
8/8/2007, 12:01 PM
him or us?

OSUAggie
8/8/2007, 12:25 PM
How about the chance to win conference and national championships? Good luck with that up in the little apple. what a dumpy little town

It's not as if they're without a recent conference championship...

Still, his situation would've been infinitely better at OU, especially with some of the openings @ 'backer.

TripleOption14
8/8/2007, 12:49 PM
I think it would have been good for LB depth to have him but once Reed and Reynolds get some game time under their belts i think we will all forget about Mr. Patterson. I think the LB's are gonna be really good imo. I also think Baker is gonna have a breakout year. That "will" position LB is gonna be one we as fans would have wished he would have been playing for years!!!

sooner518
8/8/2007, 12:51 PM

Still, his situation would've been infinitely better at OU, especially with some of the openings @ 'backer.
He's got what, 2 seasons left? I dont think KSU is much of a front-runner for a CC this year or next year.

I always wondered what happenned to this guy. He was always this mythical LB that everyone said would be awesome. BEst of luck to him anyways.

Tear Down This Wall
8/8/2007, 01:03 PM
Why do some of you do this? Why would you question what is going on in the mind of a 18-20 year old kid? The guy hard some tough breaks. Not everyone grows up in a lilly white home in a suburban area with two parents and a good school district.

Cut the kid some slack. He wanted to come here and tried to but things didn't work out. No big deal. He goes his way, we go ours. Like Don Corleone says to Sollozzo in The Godfather: "I wish to congratulate you on your new business, and I know you'll do very well; and good luck to you -- as long as your interests don't conflict with my interests."

birddog
8/8/2007, 01:05 PM

Must be pretty upsetting to you to have never experienced that yourself, eh?

colleyvillesooner
8/8/2007, 01:12 PM
Why do some of you do this? Why would you question what is going on in the mind of a 18-20 year old kid? The guy hard some tough breaks. Not everyone grows up in a lilly white home in a suburban area with two parents and a good school district.

Cut the kid some slack. He wanted to come here and tried to but things didn't work out. No big deal. He goes his way, we go ours. Like Don Corleone says to Sollozzo in The Godfather: "I wish to congratulate you on your new business, and I know you'll do very well; and good luck to you -- as long as your interests don't conflict with my interests."

Well, he plays for another Big 12 team, that kinda makes our intrests conflict.

Lighten up, man. Nobody is wishing the kid failure. The spelling/academic smack in the first post was pathetic at best, but no one else has piled on the kid. Just the crappy school he chose.

Seamus
8/8/2007, 01:18 PM
I think we'll be just fine without him.

"I think we'll be able to find some players to make an 8 on the ACT."

Tear Down This Wall
8/8/2007, 01:23 PM
Well, he plays for another Big 12 team, that kinda makes our intrests conflict.

Then, we should have made him an offer he couldn't refuse :D

colleyvillesooner
8/8/2007, 01:26 PM
We did...twice. :D

dougsooner
8/8/2007, 01:46 PM
Why do I get the "dirty recruiting" feeling from ksu in this case? The babble he quotes as his reason not to come to OU sounds like something the ksu coatching staff whispered in his ears.... just saying...

Vic n Tulsa
8/8/2007, 01:56 PM

and Norman is that much better? just saying:D .........

setem
8/8/2007, 02:00 PM
I wonder if this is one of the course offerings there at Kansas State? If not he is in some big trouble!

http://www.thereadingnook.com/image_manager/attributes/image/image_4/0786808098_large.jpg

OKC-SLC
8/8/2007, 02:02 PM
Good luck to the kid.

Boomer Sooner.

John Kochtoston
8/8/2007, 02:13 PM

Well, yes, actually. I didn't even know this was up for debate.

snp
8/8/2007, 02:28 PM
Why do I get the "dirty recruiting" feeling from ksu in this case? The babble he quotes as his reason not to come to OU sounds like something the ksu coatching staff whispered in his ears.... just saying...

Every school dirty recruits and every school used that NCAA trouble as ammunition.

sooner518
8/8/2007, 02:37 PM
im guessing youve never been to Manhattan :D

LittleWingSooner
8/8/2007, 04:16 PM
It's easier to get into KSU then it is OU. Patterson signed with OU twice and couldn't get in either time.

snp
8/8/2007, 04:31 PM
It's easier to get into KSU then it is OU. Patterson signed with OU twice and couldn't get in either time.

For students, yes. For athletes, no. It's the same.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/8/2007, 04:32 PM
Why do I get the "dirty recruiting" feeling from ksu in this case? The babble he quotes as his reason not to come to OU sounds like something the ksu coatching staff whispered in his ears.... just saying...YOU TAKE THAT BACK! It could NEVER happen!

sooneron
8/8/2007, 04:33 PM
The first time was his fault, the second was due to poor info as to what he needed to complete at NEO for the transfer. Someone in the AD's academic counseling dept dropped the ball on this kid. We shouldn't be saying any crap about him.
He shouldn't have said what he did, b/c we lost this kid a year ago.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/8/2007, 04:43 PM
First off, how in the hell do you not get in to OU? I had pathetic grades in HS and I still got in... I'm just sayin' is all.

Second, now that OU is under the microscope (ok, under a higher powered microscope) we can't pay the kid what he wanted. KSU can pony up cause nobody cares what they are doing.

What? Like everyone is playing by the rules now?

MiccoMacey
8/8/2007, 06:06 PM
I agree with TDTW.

Quit bagging on the kid. He chose to go elsewhere. No big deal.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/8/2007, 07:16 PM
I agree with TDTW.

Quit bagging on the kid. He chose to go elsewhere. No big deal.

Now, I didn't see anyone bagging on the kid. Maybe a jab or two, but did anyone say that he was an a**hole, etc.? Nope.

I think the only reason that this was even posted was because he said he made his choice because of OU's "trouble". The headline didn't say he chose KSU because he wants to be a Wildcat. It also didn't say that he had trouble with OU's strict requirements.

Yeah, no big deal, but if people want to talk about it, so what?

yermom
8/8/2007, 07:25 PM
him or us?

him.

although, i had forgotten about that screwup on the transfer credit thing, that sucks

101sooner
8/8/2007, 07:28 PM
I think the only reason that this was even posted was because he said he made his choice because of OU's "trouble".

Actually, he never said that he chose KSU because of OU's "trouble". I think that it was one of us that said that.

MiccoMacey
8/8/2007, 07:36 PM
Now, I didn't see anyone bagging on the kid. Maybe a jab or two, but did anyone say that he was an a**hole, etc.? Nope.

I think the only reason that this was even posted was because he said he made his choice because of OU's "trouble". The headline didn't say he chose KSU because he wants to be a Wildcat. It also didn't say that he had trouble with OU's strict requirements.

Yeah, no big deal, but if people want to talk about it, so what?

My idea of bagging is just different than yours, I guess. I'm not saying they are trampling his soul, but some of these "jabs" are just useless to me over a 19 year old kid that did nothing wrong but choose a different school to attend than OU. No one's called him names, but I just think people are making a little more fun of him (making references to him being not so smart) because he chose to go somewhere else.

If he chose to come here, I think some people on here would have a whole different take on the kid.

Also, I admit I am just a tad sensitive towards people jumping on people. Call it backlash from the Hybl/Thompson threads.

r5TPsooner
8/8/2007, 08:24 PM
I bet the people talking down on the kid would feel a little differently it he were there son. Unfortunately, not every student coming out of high school is ready for the pressures that come with going to a major university.

In my mind, he is a human being first and a Wildcat second. I wish he were still a Sooner but he's not. I wish him the best of luck and hope that he had a good career at KSU and most importantly... gets his degree.

yermom
8/8/2007, 08:35 PM
My idea of bagging is just different than yours, I guess. I'm not saying they are trampling his soul, but some of these "jabs" are just useless to me over a 19 year old kid that did nothing wrong but choose a different school to attend than OU. No one's called him names, but I just think people are making a little more fun of him (making references to him being not so smart) because he chose to go somewhere else.

If he chose to come here, I think some people on here would have a whole different take on the kid.

Also, I admit I am just a tad sensitive towards people jumping on people. Call it backlash from the Hybl/Thompson threads.

well, he was having problems with OU academically...

it's cute when they are a Sooner, if they go somewhere else they are dumb ;)

birddog
8/8/2007, 09:01 PM
chris patterson tutors vince young in the offseason.

Zing
8/9/2007, 01:02 AM
"I wish to congratulate you on your new business, and I know you'll do very well; and good luck to you -- as long as your interests don't conflict with my interests."

When I read this, I read "so long as your internets don't conflict with my internets."

Zing
8/9/2007, 01:06 AM
My idea of bagging is just different than yours, I guess.

Hey. HEY.

NO.

There is to be only ONE type of bagging on this thread, and it's some cowpuke's bagging of MY groceries.

Big Red Ron
8/9/2007, 01:10 AM
Did he ever qualify at OU?

snp
8/9/2007, 02:43 AM
Did he ever qualify at OU?

He passed NCAA clearinghouse. That'd be good enough for the staff.

MiccoMacey
8/9/2007, 06:25 AM
Hey. HEY.

NO.

There is to be only ONE type of bagging on this thread, and it's some cowpuke's bagging of MY groceries.

My bad. Thanks for the correction.

"My idea of heckling is just different than yours, I guess."

Fixed. ;)

Scott D
8/9/2007, 08:54 AM
Every school dirty recruits and every school used that NCAA trouble as ammunition.

Mack Brown would never need to use that method

stoopified
8/9/2007, 10:03 AM
I guess prefers watching championship games over playing in them.

Funky G
8/9/2007, 10:37 AM
Remember it's spelled W-I-L-D-C-A-T-S NOT WILDKATZ Chris.

http://www.kansascity.com/177/story/221173.html

Patterson could not get in at OU due to his poor academic performance. And, I don't know if he would get any playing time due to our corp of linebackers.

Good luck in the Independence Bowl, if you make it...

opksooner
8/9/2007, 07:17 PM
Oh.................never mind.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/9/2007, 07:28 PM

I get it. I actually loved ENA and Nate. Nate was very underrated. He caught way too much stuff.

I don't like to see the bagging go overboard... unless it's someone like Kellen Winslow Jr. Those guys deserve it.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/9/2007, 07:35 PM
Actually, he never said that he chose KSU because of OU's "trouble". I think that it was one of us that said that.
Recent issues at Oklahoma — last month the Sooners were nailed with two years probation, forced to erase eight wins from 2005 and lost two scholarships for 2008-09 and 2009-10 because of players who were paid for work they had not performed at an auto dealership — got Patterson’s attention.
“With some of the things going on at OU right now, I think it’s great I’m here. It’s like a second chance for me,” Patterson said.

True. What I found is softer language, but that's what bugged some of the people. He didn't want to go to KSU until he couldn't go to OU.

It is too bad. He was an animal. Still... OU is really easy to get in to... How do people screw that up? I am not trying to be a jerk here. I mean... I was a C student and I got in. Sheesh.

sooner94
8/9/2007, 08:00 PM
"I think we'll be able to find some players to make an 8 on the ACT."

That was freaking funny!

SoonerMom2
8/9/2007, 08:47 PM

That's the understatement of the year. When my son went to visit K-State for his graduate degree several years ago, all I could think of was how dumpy everything was and the final laugh came when we were in a bookstore and asked about a building in Aggieville that had burned down. The girl said it burned because someone left the stove burners on all night. All I could think of was only in Aggieville and they didn't think anything of it. Odd visit including being told the English Department was going to be torn down because the basement flooded but more importantly the President of K-State wanted to see his new library.

When my son said he was staying at OU, I was the happiest person I know. Don't intend to ever be back in Aggieville -- couldn't believe that is the name of where they have their stores and restaurants. We tried to find a stuffed wildcat but they didn't have any. Their stadium was in horrible shape and this was when they were winning. Owen Field it is not and their campus cannot compare to OU's -- not even in the same ballpark!

KantoSooner
8/9/2007, 09:10 PM
I put up with lots of this sort of 'noise' from neighbors whose son 'decided' to go to K-State. Lots of stuff about how 'dirty' OU football was and how much higher the academic standards were at KSU. Seems like this is a common recruiting theme for them.
If this kid fell for it, he'd probably bite on fakes in the backfield as well. Good luck to him

recemp
8/13/2007, 12:17 PM
I hear Moe Dampeer is bad mouthing OU too.
I'll have fries with that...

Piware
8/14/2007, 09:32 AM

You are right. Interesting that he never even considered OSU. Guess he was looking for a school with a conference championship in the last 50 years.