PDA

View Full Version : Did I say the wrong thing?

Soonerbabeinbama
8/7/2007, 08:34 PM
This happened awhile back, but it's been bugging me and I need to vent. A black couple came into my office to discuss their son's lack of progress. They were hellbent on telling me that my school was inferrior because their son wasn't learning anything. Their child had severe learning disabilities, but that apparently was beside the point. For about thirty minutes I tried talking to them, but they obviously were not interested in what I had to say and constantly interrupted me. As my patience was ebbing, I said "okay folks, I'm open for suggestions, what is it you want to do?" Oh ye gods and little fishes!!! You would have thought I had called them the "N" word!! I was quickly informed that the bad word I used was "folks". I'm sorry - but I've been in the south for several years, and that is just what you call people - black, white or otherwise. I am aware that they were probably ****ed off at their kid, and I caught the brunt of it - however - I think some people need to get the chips off of their shoulders and........ get a life!! Thank you for listening, I feel much better now! By the way - did I say the wrong thing?

Okla-homey
8/7/2007, 08:47 PM
This happened awhile back, but it's been bugging me and I need to vent. A black couple came into my office to discuss their son's lack of progress. They were hellbent on telling me that my school was inferrior because their son wasn't learning anything. Their child had severe learning disabilities, but that apparently was beside the point. For about thirty minutes I tried talking to them, but they obviously were not interested in what I had to say and constantly interrupted me. As my patience was ebbing, I said "okay folks, I'm open for suggestions, what is it you want to do?" Oh ye gods and little fishes!!! You would have thought I had called them the "N" word!! I was quickly informed that the bad word I used was "folks". I'm sorry - but I've been in the south for several years, and that is just what you call people - black, white or otherwise. I am aware that they were probably ****ed off at their kid, and I caught the brunt of it - however - I think some people need to get the chips off of their shoulders and........ get a life!! Thank you for listening, I feel much better now! By the way - did I say the wrong thing?

In a word; no.

soonerboomer93
8/7/2007, 08:56 PM
you should be fired

;)

SicEmBaylor
8/7/2007, 09:00 PM
It's common knowledge that every white person from the south is a raging bigoted racist that has to walk on egg shells lest they say the wrong thing. Did you not get that memo?

sanantoniosooner
8/7/2007, 09:02 PM
I don't think you said anything wrong, but I don't speak for other ethnic groups from locations I've never even visited.

SoonerStormchaser
8/7/2007, 09:03 PM
I'm conservative...that means I'm a racist homophobe who's also an intolerant misogynist.

jk the sooner fan
8/7/2007, 09:04 PM
holy crap i hope not, because i start every "group shotgun" email to my subordinates with "Folks"

and i have but one white person working for me out of the 12

Soonerbabeinbama
you should be fired

;)
I know there are a lot of things you can do to yourself........but is that one of them?:eek:

sanantoniosooner
I'm conservative...that means I'm a racist homophobe who's also an intolerant misogynist.
But you are attracted to old ladies, so it balances out.........

OUDoc
8/7/2007, 09:05 PM
If that's a taboo word, it's news to me.

Widescreen
8/7/2007, 09:07 PM
holy crap i hope not, because i start every "group shotgun" email to my subordinates with "Folks"

and i have but one white person working for me out of the 12
Well then referring to them as "subordinates" should get you jail time.

SoonerGirl06
8/7/2007, 09:13 PM
Don't ask me.... I'm having a case of "Foot in Mouth Disease" lately so I have no idea what's okay to say and what's not... :O

:D

Soonerbabeinbama
8/7/2007, 09:15 PM
Ruh Ro - looks like LilSooner might need some time in the naughty corner as well. I just saw a thread she stared called "ok folks, I need some ideas":D

SicEmBaylor
8/7/2007, 09:21 PM
Do you want me to talk to them? Trust me, I'll take all the heat off you.

leavingthezoo
8/7/2007, 09:22 PM
i lived in lousiana when i was a kid and was the minority in the area i lived. heh. i know "boy" is an issue. i've never heard of "folks" being an issue.

maybe they took issue with you giving them the opportunity to bring their own solutions to the table. they probably didn't have any and thought you were being condescending. let it roll off. you weren't in the wrong.

SoonerGirl06
8/7/2007, 09:23 PM
Do you want me to talk to them? Trust me, I'll take all the heat off you.

Yeah.... sic SicEm on 'em! That'll teach them a lesson!

sanantoniosooner
8/7/2007, 09:26 PM
People don't get offended by Sic'em.

They get offended at Sic'em.

Scott D
8/7/2007, 09:29 PM
People don't get offended by Sic'em.

They get offended that Sic'em's parents weren't spayed and neutered in their teen years.

:D

olevetonahill
8/7/2007, 09:33 PM
I call the younger ones Brother andor sister
I think It s persona That lets me Pull it off
Ive never had a prob with any race
Cept maybe Gooks :D

SicEmBaylor
8/7/2007, 09:35 PM
Black people really really like me. I'm honest to God not kidding. I think black people like me more than white people do.

soonerboomer93
8/7/2007, 09:42 PM
I know there are a lot of things you can do to yourself........but is that one of them?:eek:

depends on how limber you are...

Soonerbabeinbama
8/7/2007, 09:46 PM
i lived in lousiana when i was a kid and was the minority in the area i lived. heh. i know "boy" is an issue. i've never heard of "folks" being an issue.

maybe they took issue with you giving them the opportunity to bring their own solutions to the table. they probably didn't have any and thought you were being condescending. let it roll off. you weren't in the wrong.
You might be right. I probably was being condescending - I was feeling a little bit exasperated because they wouldn't shut up and hear me out. I was trying to come up with some solutions and they weren't interested in anything I had to say - they weren't there to listen, they were there to talk, so..... I just thought I'd give them an opportunity to see what good ideas they could come up with since they obviously weren't interested in mine. They had definitely pushed my bottons. Actually, I thought I was being pretty nice by calling them folks!

OSUAggie
8/7/2007, 09:52 PM
Black people really really like me. I'm honest to God not kidding. I think black people like me more than white people do.

349-pound black women do tend to go after the 128-pound white boys.

usmc-sooner
8/7/2007, 09:57 PM
I get offended when people start shooting at me. All the rest is sticks and stones.

Scott D
8/7/2007, 09:57 PM

Every generation needs it's pseudo-Navin....you are this one.

OKC-SLC
8/7/2007, 10:36 PM
I think they were coming to be angry no matter what. They apparently were also looking to be offended.

olevetonahill
8/7/2007, 10:46 PM
Why didnt yo tell em to STFU nOOb ?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/7/2007, 10:47 PM
Are you sure you didn't say "you people?" ;)

SelmaBamaFan
8/7/2007, 10:52 PM
'Folks' is Alabamian for 'you people'. Didnt you know?

Soonerbabeinbama
8/7/2007, 10:57 PM
'Folks' is Alabamian for 'you people'. Didnt you know?
I think "folks" has a nice quaint sound to it!! Kind of a warm and fuzzy thing. Hey Selma...:) oh and btw - "hey" is Alabamian for "hi"

SelmaBamaFan
8/7/2007, 10:59 PM
Wish I was hi, errr i mean hi to you too!

SoonerStormchaser
8/8/2007, 06:01 AM
But you are attracted to old ladies, so it balances out.........
You are correct sir!

TUSooner
8/8/2007, 06:36 AM
No.

crawfish
8/8/2007, 07:31 AM
That's a new one to me.

85Sooner
8/8/2007, 07:35 AM
NO and I am getting damn sick and tired of "folks" like that. They want to get all huffy, well so can I. That is the way these type of people need to be dealt with.

sanantoniosooner
8/8/2007, 07:48 AM
yeah, when people act like an a-hole, the best response is to follow suit.

Soonerbabeinbama
8/8/2007, 08:23 AM
yeah, when people act like an a-hole, the best response is to follow suit.
I probably did let my personal feelings overload my brain - but I was annoyed. I can't stand it when someone tries to throw the "race" thing at me. I'm not a prejudiced person, and I like to deal with issues without a bunch of crapola being thrown into the mix. My goal is to help kids succeed no matter what race they are. The "race card" is nothing but a cop out.

OUDoc
8/8/2007, 08:31 AM
I probably did let my personal feelings overload my brain - but I was annoyed. I can't stand it when someone tries to throw the "race" thing at me. I'm not a prejudiced person, and I like to deal with issues without a bunch of crapola being thrown into the mix. My goal is to help kids succeed no matter what race they are. The "race card" is nothing but a cop out.
Whatever, Whitey. ;)

sanantoniosooner
8/8/2007, 08:32 AM
Wasn't directed at you.

Soonerbabeinbama
8/8/2007, 08:41 AM
Wasn't directed at you.
I understand, but it could have been. I didn't act very professional.
Have a great day honkey!!:D

soonerinabilene
8/8/2007, 09:25 AM
if it is an insult, why didnt jessie and al march when that ted danson movie came out years ago?

Widescreen
8/8/2007, 09:29 AM
So "Queer as Folk" is both homophobic AND racist? This is getting confusing.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/8/2007, 09:46 AM
no - think of what would have happened if you had said the word "people" ...:eek:

Sooner24
8/8/2007, 05:48 PM

I've seen you in action. :eek:

http://www.tvguide.com/movies/dbpix/images/42263a.jpg