PDA

View Full Version : Ok folks I need ideas...

LilSooner
8/7/2007, 03:59 PM
for tailgate menus.

I know you guys no how to cook, give me some better ideas than the same old same old.

I know we suck, because we never show up to the tailgates, unless it's super early to talk to Dean. But that's because we have our own, and for the first time this year I am going to get to write them off because I will be having customers down.

So give me yer damn recipes!

And if ya see the bald headed one this fall come on over and say hi.

NormanPride
8/7/2007, 04:03 PM
So we're supposed to give you our recipes so you can make money? :D

jk the sooner fan
8/7/2007, 04:05 PM
how fancy are you wanting to get?

Okieflyer
8/7/2007, 04:05 PM
Maybe someone could dig up the "South Oval" receipe book again.

Mjcpr
8/7/2007, 04:06 PM
Marinated, grilled flank steak. (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1912817&postcount=28)

StuIsTheMan
8/7/2007, 04:07 PM
I could tell ya how to make my TG Tacos but then...I'd have to kill ya...so...your choice...:pop:

LilSooner
8/7/2007, 04:09 PM
Not too fancy, but I am going to be having a couple of our corporate big wigs coming in for a couple of games. It's gotta be something, I can either cook on site or prep before and can travel the 1 1/2 from our house.

And yes, in a round about way it is hopefully going to help us in the long run.

LilSooner
8/7/2007, 04:11 PM
Marinated, grilled flank steak. (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1912817&postcount=28)

Holy Crap Pat. I am highly impressed!

I forgot that there was a cookbook floating around.

jk the sooner fan
8/7/2007, 04:13 PM
those brats and wraps dealio that dean does is one of the simplest, tastiest tailgate foods around

OUAndy1807
8/7/2007, 08:34 PM
hollow out a jalapeno, stuff it with cream cheese, wrap it in bacon, grill it.

bluedogok
8/7/2007, 08:48 PM
If you want something different, try the Ancho Chile Honey Basted Quail (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_36671,00.html) from Mac & Ernies Roadside Eatery (http://www.macandernies.com/) in Tarpley, Texas. It was featured on Diner, Drive-Ins & Dives (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_dv/episode/0,3151,FOOD_29156_50504,00.html). We did a weekend ride out in Kerrville and ate there for dinner one night, it is a shack next to a road and the food is phenomenal.

Harry Beanbag
8/7/2007, 08:52 PM

i'll second this one. I could eat 100 of these things.

http://www.recipezaar.com/105670

soonerboomer93
8/7/2007, 08:54 PM
chicken and waffles

phead903
8/7/2007, 08:54 PM
What do you have to work with, Lil? Cooking equipment, time, space, etc. You can do a fried turkey or grilled brats and everything in between...smoked country ham with beaten biscuits and red eye gravy for an early game, grilled stuffed Cornish Game Hens with a Mango compote and twice baked potatoes; Grilled Salmon with a honey and lime glaze or pomegranite glaze...

Actually, the sky is the limit depending on what you have to work with!

LilSooner
8/7/2007, 09:06 PM

I love that one! Only we also put a piece of onion on it too.

What do you have to work with, Lil? Cooking equipment, time, space, etc. You can do a fried turkey or grilled brats and everything in between...smoked country ham with beaten biscuits and red eye gravy for an early game, grilled stuffed Cornish Game Hens with a Mango compote and twice baked potatoes; Grilled Salmon with a honey and lime glaze or pomegranite glaze...Actually, the sky is the limit depending on what you have to work with!

We have tons of room. Normally two large tents. We normally also bring a couple of grills depending on how many people are coming. I also have a large kitchen that is perfect for prep, and being only a mile from the stadium getting it there is not an issue. I am also armed with a Sam's card and my momma used to own a restaurant with a catering business, so hopefully we are going to be good on that.

Since we are the only ones in the group living in Norman Rhino and I are in charge of setting up our spot every Friday night.

Chicken and Waffles will more than likely NOT be on the menu.

phead903
8/7/2007, 09:20 PM
So where are the big wigs coming from? Local or out of town? If they are from out of town (and the area) you could wow them with some local flavor. If they are local, introduce something from out of town.

For instance, if they are coming for the Miami game, consider a menu tied to the Miami area:

Mojitos
Conch fritters (or maybe clam if you can't find conch)
Lump Crab Cocktail (you probably can't get stone crab claws here)
Smoked fish dip with cuban bread
Cuban panini sandwiches (can be fixed on a grill pretty easily)
Grilled pineapple with ice cream or Key Lime pie

You know - that kind of thing....

Of course, if they are coming for the Utah State game, you may be screwed:D

Okla-homey
8/7/2007, 09:27 PM
Buy some sandwiches from Jimmy Johns on Campus Corner, Slice into three bite pieces. Have beer too.

You're welcome.

soonerboomer93
8/7/2007, 09:44 PM

why do you hate Waffles?????

LilSooner
8/7/2007, 09:51 PM
So where are the big wigs coming from? Local or out of town? If they are from out of town (and the area) you could wow them with some local flavor. If they are local, introduce something from out of town.

For instance, if they are coming for the Miami game, consider a menu tied to the Miami area:

Mojitos
Conch fritters (or maybe clam if you can't find conch)
Lump Crab Cocktail (you probably can't get stone crab claws here)
Smoked fish dip with cuban bread
Cuban panini sandwiches (can be fixed on a grill pretty easily)
Grilled pineapple with ice cream or Key Lime pie

You know - that kind of thing....

Of course, if they are coming for the Utah State game, you may be screwed:D

You are awesome. That is exactly type of stuff I'm thinking too bad, the Miami game is at 11. But most of the big wigs are coming from Chicago area.

Harry Beanbag
8/7/2007, 09:55 PM

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/5849/thatsracistdk6.gif

usmc-sooner
8/7/2007, 10:01 PM
make some beer and bring some taco bell for later.

Rhino
8/8/2007, 12:27 PM
Lil just hates Chicken and Waffles because I love them.

Buy some sandwiches from Jimmy Johns on Campus Corner, Slice into three bite pieces. Have beer too.

You're welcome. This doesn't work for two reasons:
1. Jimmy John's is awful.
2. Jimmy John's on Campus Corner is now a Starbucks.

jk the sooner fan
8/8/2007, 12:33 PM
not to jack your recipe hunt thread, but thanks for the info on jimmy johns....i've seen a few pop up in the area and have wondered if its any good

firehouse subs by the way is pretty good

CUinNC
8/8/2007, 05:20 PM
Ya don't know me, nor I you...but just an FYI......

if you are having Peeps in for a game, and unless you can't cook some good 'ole ribs and BBQ in advance...

Line up some fixin's ahead of time from somewhere that can get the job done right.....

it ain't worth the time & trouble to get get all stirred up trying to prep for these Peeps....

Hell, write whatever it takes in $$ off, and it makes life easier...

If you find a good outfitter, they should be able to make it seamless...

Ya need to make 'em happy, and then on to the Game (it's what matters most....Hell 'Ya)

THIS, comin' from someone who has tried it both ways...

when we were younger & tryin' to get Props, go for the homemade spread...on the flip-side..make it EASY......:pop:

proud gonzo
8/8/2007, 05:25 PM
Lil just hates Chicken and Waffles because I love them.
This doesn't work for two reasons:
1. Jimmy John's is awful.
2. Jimmy John's on Campus Corner is now a Starbucks.seriously? sweet! as much as I hate starbucks, we desperately needed a coffee shop on campus corner. and jimmy johns does suck. And which wich is way better.

Czar Soonerov
8/8/2007, 05:56 PM
http://www.caesarconnect.com/img_content/LCE/id2985_1_HNR_Banner.jpg

For future reference, don't GIS "Hot N Ready" at work.

phead903
8/8/2007, 09:23 PM
Ok Lil,

What are the details? When are they coming? Early start or late start? Who is OU playing? How many people?

From Chicago, maybe they would appreciate some Italian beef sandwiches, which is a classic tailgate fare in the Windy City and fairly easy to prepare.

Or you can go all out with a 4 or 5 course meal...just let me know and I'll be glad to come up with a menu that will impress the big-wigs and will be easy for you and Rhino to prepare...:D

r5TPsooner
8/8/2007, 09:32 PM
I was raised on these. Not my mommas (RIP) recipe but sounds about right. I bet Dean would like them!

BIEROCKS

2 lbs. hamburger
1 c. onion, chopped
4 c. cabbage, chopped
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper

Cook hamburger, onion, cabbage, salt and pepper until browned. Roll out dough and cut into large circles. Put 1/4 cup meat mixture in center of dough. Pinch closed. Bake until browned, approximately 20 minutes, at 375 degrees.

DOUGH FOR BIEROCKS:

2 pkgs. yeast
1 tsp. salt
1 c. warm milk
4 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. warm water
1/4 c. butter, softened

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set in warm place. Add warm milk, butter and salt; let stand for 10 minutes with yeast mixture in it. Add flour and sugar. Let double for 50 minutes.

GottaHavePride
8/8/2007, 09:47 PM
Bierocks = Runzas, for our impaired readers from the State of Corn.

OUAndy1807
8/8/2007, 10:15 PM
Jimmy Johns just moved one store down. Get a Bootlegger's Club and you won't think JJ's sucks.

SoonerGirl06
8/8/2007, 10:54 PM
Pay attention to some of phead's suggestions. The man KNOWS how to cook and how to put a meal together.

Trust. Me.

Yum! Yum! Yum!

bluedogok
8/8/2007, 11:12 PM
From Chicago, maybe they would appreciate some Italian beef sandwiches, which is a classic tailgate fare in the Windy City and fairly easy to prepare.
I would think they might want something different and more "Oklahoma". I know whenever we had people come in town (be it OKC or Austin) they always wanted to go eat BBQ and Tex-Mex. I would be a little afraid of trying to replicate something they are used to, seems like something different and unique to the locale might make more of an impression.

Just a thought.....

Cam
8/12/2007, 11:54 AM
Rudy's.

LilSooner
8/12/2007, 12:14 PM
The thing is we are doing this for every game. It's mostly for our friends, but there are probably going to be customers coming to every game. Don't know when the big wigs are coming in, but I believe most likely for the Miami game.

If we can find some to do the whole thing, I'm down. I'm already know that I can write off the whole dang thing. I just like to cook and so do the rest of the wives.

LilSooner
8/12/2007, 12:15 PM
Rudy's.

DOES NOT WANT! Yuck.

Cam
8/12/2007, 12:22 PM
DOES NOT WANT! Yuck.
Blasphemy.

Red beans and rice are easy and will last a while as well.

1stTimeCaller
8/12/2007, 12:49 PM
Have Van's cater the Miami game. You could pick up the meat the day before and then wrap in foil to reheat at your house before you go the the tailgate. Or not.

MamaMia
8/12/2007, 12:50 PM
My contribution straight from my homeland.

Italian Steak with Sun dried Tomatoes

INGREDIENTS:
6 1-inch thick, top round steaks
1 and 1/2 cups of a fine red wine...buy a nice bottle; that one would drink.
1 and 1/2 cups of sun dried tomatoes packed in oil, but drained
3/4 cups of fresh basil leaves
9 tablespoons of a good virgin olive oil
12 cloves of chopped garlic
6 teaspoons of fresh ground black pepper
3 teaspoons sea salt

Just mix everything together except the steaks in a food processor or a blender until its smooth. It will be fairly thick. Pour that into shallow glass baking dishes. Add your steaks and turn them until they're all evenly coated.
Cover and place in the fridge for at least 3 hours, but preferably overnight.

Preheat your grill. Remove the steaks from marinade. Discard the marinade. Grill the steaks on medium high heat until they reach the desired doneness that you like.

soonerbrat
8/12/2007, 01:54 PM
i got some side items for you...

ranch style beans, rotel and smoked sausage...cut up the smoked sausage into cubes, put it all in a pan and let it simmer a while so the flavors can mix..very tasty

pimento cheese - great on crackers - I use packages of shredded cheese - i like sharp, but whatever kind you like...coarsely shredded & finely shredded & crumbles - put all those in a bowl and then add enough mayo (real mayo) to moisten all the cheese..mix that up good and squish it with a fork, then add a jar of pimentos, maybe some paprika and/or parsley. I also cut up sweet cherry peppers and put those in there..it's best if you make it the day before and refrigerate it overnight and let the flavors mix. it's delicious...much better than store-bought..it's great as a dip

Mongo
8/12/2007, 02:17 PM
shrimp and crawfish boil

and put some Andouille sausage in there as well

boil your potatoes and onions first

then add the corn on the cob

then add shrimp and/or crawfish

line tables with newspaper

put paper towel rolls, butter, salt and pepper on tables

dump contents of the pot on to the table.

Rhino
8/12/2007, 06:08 PM
Don't mind Lil. She just doesn't like BBQ. Rudy's is great.

Vans, however, is the most dry BBQ in the ultraverse.

LilSooner
8/12/2007, 06:12 PM
Don't mind Lil. She just doesn't like BBQ. Rudy's is great.

Vans, however, is the most dry BBQ in the ultraverse.

I do like BBQ, but it has to come from Charlie's best ribs hands down.

phead903
8/12/2007, 06:21 PM
I gott agree with Mongo - a shrimp (or crawfish) boil would be a blast - especially at a game later in the season when it's cooler. You do need to get real andouille sausage for it, though. It is very easy to fix, especially if you let everyone peel their own shrimp (or crawfish).

You might also think of gumbo, which can be prepared ahead and reheated pretty easily. Cook up a big pot of rice and some crusty french bread, make up a big jug of hurricanes and you're set!

If you're doing ribs, you can smoke 'em pretty easily yourself with the right rub and some prep time ahead - get them on the smoker early in the day and by game time, you are enjoying some sweet, succulent pork!

LilSooner
8/12/2007, 06:28 PM
I gott agree with Mongo - a shrimp (or crawfish) boil would be a blast - especially at a game later in the season when it's cooler. You do need to get real andouille sausage for it, though. It is very easy to fix, especially if you let everyone peel their own shrimp (or crawfish).

You might also think of gumbo, which can be prepared ahead and reheated pretty easily. Cook up a big pot of rice and some crusty french bread, make up a big jug of hurricanes and you're set!

If you're doing ribs, you can smoke 'em pretty easily yourself with the right rub and some prep time ahead - get them on the smoker early in the day and by game time, you are enjoying some sweet, succulent pork!

Rhino's daddy makes a dang good shrimp boil. We may just have to do that.

usmc-sooner
8/12/2007, 06:33 PM
I have some good friends from Chauvin,(sp) La. these people can do insanely retardly, orgasmicly good stuff with shrimp. I'll try to get hold of my boy and see if his mom feels comfortable with giving out her recipes.