PDA

View Full Version : Racist Ad or people being oversensitive??

jeremy885
8/7/2007, 03:15 PM
http://media.npr.org/programs/day/features/2007/aug/intel_lg.jpg

I say oversensitive, but maybe it's because I'm a white male

Story from NPR

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12560118

OUDoc
8/7/2007, 03:20 PM
I'd say it's more of a weird ad than anything.

slickdawg
8/7/2007, 03:20 PM
grossly oversensitive. Name the last white track-and-field superstar.
Exactly.

jk the sooner fan
8/7/2007, 03:23 PM
if the track people were all different looking, then the ad would lose its point

Tear Down This Wall
8/7/2007, 03:24 PM
It would be okay if the guys were all gay?

TexasLidig8r
8/7/2007, 03:25 PM
Aren't they swimmers?

Oh wait... :D

M
8/7/2007, 03:28 PM
if anything, it's getting people talking, which is key...but yes, they could have gone about it differently.

Turd_Ferguson
8/7/2007, 03:33 PM
if anything, it's getting people talking, which is key...but yes, they could have gone about it differently.
How exactly?

TheHumanAlphabet
8/7/2007, 03:35 PM
that is LG

NormanPride
8/7/2007, 03:39 PM
This is a perfect example of someone not being insensitive on purpose, but still hurting people. Done by white advertisers trying to reach a mostly white market (I imagine) and misinterpreted by people outside their target demographic. It makes sense to me since I'm a white guy in the tech industry, but to black people this is probably a terrible image.

If they HAD to go with something like this, I would have mechanized the athletes a bit to keep them from being identified with a race, or removed the white guy and placed a server rack in the middle.

M
8/7/2007, 03:41 PM
How exactly?

What I'm saying is there are other ways for an ad to grab a consumer's attention without potentially crossing any politically incorrect lines.

jk the sooner fan
8/7/2007, 03:41 PM
or they could have used formula one race cars

rufnek05
8/7/2007, 03:49 PM
i see nothing wrong with it, but i'm a white male too.

Octavian
8/7/2007, 03:49 PM
This is a perfect example of someone not being insensitive on purpose, but still hurting people. Done by white advertisers trying to reach a mostly white market (I imagine) and misinterpreted by people outside their target demographic. It makes sense to me since I'm a white guy in the tech industry, but to black people this is probably a terrible image.

If they HAD to go with something like this, I would have mechanized the athletes a bit to keep them from being identified with a race, or removed the white guy and placed a server rack in the middle.

agreed....surely the PR team wasn't trying to be overtly racist but what were they thinking by allowing this to be released? Very weird.

You've got 1 white guy portrayed in a leadership role....arms crossed with a grin and wearing a collared shirt and khaki pants. Looks like a member of the business community and is confident and intelligent.

Then you've got 6 black guys in athletic wear...their muscular physiques are emphasized....not their intelligence or personal confidence....and if you just glance at it...they look like they're bowing to their leader.

I'm sure the PR team wasn't meaning to be racist...but someone should've caught it and nixed it. Just bizarre.

jk the sooner fan
8/7/2007, 03:52 PM
its not 6 different athletes, its the same guy ......maybe i'm taking something from the ad that i shouldnt but if you're selling computer parts which are ALL THE SAME.....then whatever you've got representing that in the ad would also be ALL THE SAME

rufnek05
i'm gonna have to agree with JK. maybe its the the way are bent over in a running postion, that some people could see themn kneeling in a subservient manor?

Turd_Ferguson
agreed....surely the PR team wasn't trying to be overtly racist but what were they thinking by allowing this to be released? Very weird.

You've got 1 white guy portrayed in a leadership role....arms crossed with a grin and wearing a collared shirt and khaki pants. Looks like a member of the business community and is confident and intelligent.

Then you've got 6 black guys in athletic wear...their muscular physiques are emphasized....not their intelligence or personal confidence....and if you just glance at it...they look like they're bowing to their leader.

I'm sure the PR team wasn't meaning to be racist...but someone should've caught it and nixed it. Just bizarre.
I'm trying to figure out what kinda of a ****ing mind reads that kinda **** into that picture. You must hafta set around and dream that **** up.:mad:

Octavian
8/7/2007, 04:00 PM
its not 6 different athletes, its the same guy ......maybe i'm taking something from the ad that i shouldnt but if you're selling computer parts which are ALL THE SAME.....then whatever you've got representing that in the ad would also be ALL THE SAME

well, maybe I am too. Obviously none of us were in the PR meeting when they came up with this.

but the fact that its actually the same guy doesn't mean that there aren't six bodies. Many people not in the tech field who walk by or just glance at this aren't going to make the connection that they're marketing a product that's supposed to be ALL THE SAME.

They'll just see six guys doing and wearing one thing and one guy doing and wearing another. That's why I agreed with NP when he said that the PR team wasn't trying to overstep any bounds...they were marketing to a specific group and just came up with a poor product.

jk the sooner fan
8/7/2007, 04:02 PM
yeah i get that there are 6 bodies, but there are also 6 desks, which would represent six places for employees to sit, and since they're advertising processors......which i know little about except that you want them to be uniformly fast.......

but true, we werent in the PR meeting

Octavian
8/7/2007, 04:02 PM
I'm trying to figure out what kinda of a ****ing mind reads that kinda **** into that picture. You must hafta set around and dream that **** up.:mad:

stars are fun.

StuIsTheMan
8/7/2007, 04:06 PM

that's what I got out of it as well...get over it people damn...you all want people to live without seeing race but when something like this...(NOT MENT TO BE RACIST) comes up...there ya go playing the race card...when does it end...only people of the same color can be in ads together...DAMN GET OVER IT!

Widescreen
8/7/2007, 04:09 PM
I'm a white guy and that ad IS racist. The white guy is some technogeek dork and the black guys are the athletic studs who get the ladies and the glory.

Turd_Ferguson
8/7/2007, 04:11 PM
I'm a white guy and that ad IS racist. The white guy is some technogeek dork and the black guys are the athletic studs who get the ladies and the glory.
Dammit why didn't I see that!:mad:

Osce0la
8/7/2007, 04:12 PM
I was going to fark that pic and make it an actually racist ad, but decided against it...overly sensitive people may not think the joke is funny...

Widescreen
8/7/2007, 04:12 PM
From a hilarious episode of Andy Richter Controls the Universe. Andy is dating a black woman name Jackie.

Andy: Okay, smart guy. Jackie says she wants to celebrate our differences.
Byron: That sounds good.
Andy: But you said that we're not supposed to see our differences.
Byron: We really shouldn't.
Andy: How are we supposed to celebrate them if we can't see them?
Byron: Well, I guess you're just going to have to ignore as well as celebrate what makes Jackie exactly the same and completely different from everyone else.

StuIsTheMan
8/7/2007, 04:14 PM
I was going to fark that pic and make it an actually racist ad, but decided against it...overly sensitive people may not think the joke is funny...

No one's overly sensitive round here man:rolleyes: ...let'er rip:pop:

jk the sooner fan
8/7/2007, 04:18 PM
i just asked LaToia here at work, she didnt find it offensive.....at all

Osce0la
8/7/2007, 04:19 PM
No one's overly sensitive round here man:rolleyes: ...let'er rip:pop:
I started working on it, but don't have time to finish it...will try to get it done tomorrow if this thread is still going...

basically, 2 rows of cotton running down the middle of the aisle...people need something to complain about...might as well actually make it an offensive ad :D :rolleyes:

Scott D
8/7/2007, 04:25 PM
I started working on it, but don't have time to finish it...will try to get it done tomorrow if this thread is still going...

basically, 2 rows of cotton running down the middle of the aisle...people need something to complain about...might as well actually make it an offensive ad :D :rolleyes:

anyone got a shotgun I can borrow for a trip to Birmingham? :D

TexasLidig8r
8/7/2007, 05:19 PM

OH MY GOD!! Are you saying.. uh.. they all look the same???!!!

OH MY GOD!!

Racist! Racist!!

Where's Al Sharpton? Where's Jesse Jackson?

Have they finished apologizing to the Duke Lacrosse team and community yet? oh wait!!

Racism still exists in society today.. obviously.. it's just not waiting behind every lamp post and on every street corner as some would have us believe and in believing it does, you diminish the circumstances when it should be addressed.

As for being politically correct.. it can jump up and bit my fat, hairy, non PC ***!

harrumph!!!!!

sanantoniosooner
8/7/2007, 05:33 PM
Wow.

People disagree about what is offensive again.

Shocking.

StuIsTheMan
8/7/2007, 05:33 PM
OH MY GOD!! Are you saying.. uh.. they all look the same???!!!

OH MY GOD!!

Racist! Racist!!

Where's Al Sharpton? Where's Jesse Jackson?

Have they finished apologizing to the Duke Lacrosse team and community yet? oh wait!!

Racism still exists in society today.. obviously.. it's just not waiting behind every lamp post and on every street corner as some would have us believe and in believing it does, you diminish the circumstances when it should be addressed.

As for being politically correct.. it can jump up and bit my fat, hairy, non PC ***!

harrumph!!!!!

What?

Harry Beanbag
8/7/2007, 05:36 PM
They should have used 6 images of Barry Bonds.

royalfan5
8/7/2007, 05:42 PM
grossly oversensitive. Name the last white track-and-field superstar.
Exactly.
There was that guy from Baylor that won gold in the 400 at the last olympics. Dave Johnson the decathlete as well.

Okla-homey
8/7/2007, 05:59 PM
Not to get all Jimmy the Greek-y, but the pink elephant in the middle of the room which is not PC to acknowledge is pretty simple. Anyone who follows sports even a smidge undertands it.

Simply put, American black folks, as a class, are more athletically gifted in the running, jumping and spectacular catching departments than American white folks, again, as a class.

For some danged reason, it's okay for everyone to know that, just not okay to discuss it.

Perhaps it's because some folks feel such classifications if allowed to stand unchallenged will lead to other more sinister classifying. whatever.

sanantoniosooner
8/7/2007, 06:04 PM
For some danged reason, it's okay for everyone to know that, just not okay to discuss it.

Perhaps it's because some folks feel such classifications if allowed to stand unchallenged will lead to other more sinister classifying. whatever.
Perhaps it's because most of the time the topic is also extended that the black athlete is gifted physically but not mentally. The stereotype doesn't stop at athletic, it includes stupid in most cases.

Exactly why it's only the last few years that people thought they could play QB in the NFL.

Not to mention, it's silly to think that someone is a good athlete simply because they are black. They can't all dance or sing either.

Rogue
8/7/2007, 06:04 PM
The ad probably wasn't meant to be in poor taste, but it's pretty bad.

sanantoniosooner
8/7/2007, 06:05 PM
The ad probably wasn't meant to be in poor taste, but it's pretty bad.
That's the definition of "insensitive".

Scott D
8/7/2007, 06:06 PM

I'm thinking to expound further on jk's post and taking some from NP's post. Symmetry is one thing and should be the central point, however if the intent was to appeal to the "tech geeks" then it would have made even more sense to use 6 silver surfer types.

However, it seems by the wording used in the ad that the target group are corporate executives. Which means they should have just used people of different colors being subservient to some evil looking old white guy with a stogie in his mouth and money coming out of his pockets ;)

Tulsa_Fireman
8/7/2007, 06:45 PM
The white guy is some technogeek dork and the black guys are the athletic studs who get the ladies and the glory.

Exactly.

I got ****ed because the ratio of black people to white people wasn't congruent with society's percentages. I mean, it's SIX TO FRICKIN' ONE.

Talkin' about oppression.

OU Adonis
8/7/2007, 07:23 PM
I always wondered where the outrage was when the movie "White men can't Jump" came out.

Widescreen
8/7/2007, 07:28 PM
Those types of things are just supposed to be tolerated with a wink because it's a good-natured slap at whitey who's expected to just take it because he's in the majority (which makes him guilty of stuff). Try making a movie called "Black Men Can't Swim" and see what happens. :P

OU Adonis
8/7/2007, 07:32 PM
Simply put, American black folks, as a class, are more athletically gifted in the running, jumping and spectacular catching departments than American white folks, again, as a class.

I won't even comment on this.

Widescreen
8/7/2007, 07:36 PM
Scott could star in "Black Men Can't Run". Because he's got a bad knee. Which means he's probably not as fast as he used to be. Which is good since he'll probably want to come after me now. :D

;)

critical_phil
8/7/2007, 07:42 PM
Scott could star in "Black Men Can't Run". Because he's got a bad knee. Which means he's probably not as fast as he used to be. Which is good since he'll probably want to come after me now. :D

;)

no worries, you'll have at least a three day head start.

it's a long drive to birmingham.

Scott D
8/7/2007, 07:43 PM
bad knee or not, I bet I could catch you, you bastard from a line of bastards :D

Widescreen
8/7/2007, 07:53 PM
Trust me. Bastards can run like the wind. Mainly because we have to.

Okla-homey
8/7/2007, 08:13 PM
I won't even comment on this.

Precisely my point. You can't talk about it. Its against the rules. And I'll tell you another thing, I am no racist bastage. I am a reasonably well-educated 40 something white guy who believes everyone deserves a fair shake in this country. Some folks even deserve a leg-up because of the long-term effects of abject poverty and long-entrenched racial discrimination. Heck, the urban schools are so abysmal, we're going to need Round Two of affirmative action someday just to level the playing field for kids who attended these "child storage facilities" posing as schools.

That said, I refuse to concede a random sample of a hundred 18 y/o healthy black males competing on tests of speed, strength and agility with a hundred similarly randomly selected healthy 18 y/o white males will even be close. I also refuse to concede that is something of which to be ashamed.

IMHO, its something positive and should be a point of pride.

Sheesh people. Wake TFU and deal with facts. Its healthy and helps advance the ball for our entire society.

Widescreen
8/7/2007, 08:16 PM
Its healthy and helps advance the ball for our entire society.
I'll bet you envision only black guys advancing the ball. :mad:

;)

Scott D
8/7/2007, 08:31 PM
That said, I refuse to concede a random sample of a hundred 18 y/o healthy black males competing on tests of speed, strength and agility with a hundred similarly randomly selected healthy 18 y/o white males will even be close. I also refuse to concede that is something of which to be ashamed.

Sheesh people. Wake TFU and deal with facts. Its healthy and helps advance the ball for our entire society.

would that be as a class versus a class? imo that was the dumbest part of your original post.

Okla-homey
8/7/2007, 08:44 PM
would that be as a class versus a class? imo that was the dumbest part of your original post.

class, schmass. You know what I meant and the truth of it is indisputable.

Harry Beanbag
8/7/2007, 08:45 PM
That said, I refuse to concede a random sample of a hundred 18 y/o healthy black males competing on tests of length, girth, and stamina with a hundred similarly randomly selected healthy 18 y/o white males will even be close.

That's what I hear. :O ;)

Scott D
8/7/2007, 09:33 PM
class, schmass. You know what I meant and the truth of it is indisputable.

I know what you meant, and I know what you said. I also know that any attempt to discuss what you said with you is about as productive as discussing well, anything with Dean that he might actually have a point of view on.

Still using "class" as a defining point is crass at best.

Vaevictis
8/7/2007, 10:09 PM
Perhaps it's because most of the time the topic is also extended that the black athlete is gifted physically but not mentally. The stereotype doesn't stop at athletic, it includes stupid in most cases.

Is the intellectual stereotype applied because they're black, or because they're athletes?

(... 'cause it might be they're getting hit with the "dumb jock" stereotype. Certainly not in all of the cases, but surely it ain't always race.)

usmc-sooner
8/7/2007, 10:25 PM
is this racist? but please tell me what black lead nation is considered a superpower?

I ask the same about Hispanic countries, can anyone name the best Hispanic country.

I tend to think the best country is ours where we all work together and strive to get along (unlike the Mid East) but I think we get a whole lot stupid with some of these race issues.

OKC-SLC
8/7/2007, 10:50 PM
Aren't they swimmers?

Oh wait... :D
Comedy gold here, people.

sanantoniosooner
8/8/2007, 07:43 AM
Is the intellectual stereotype applied because they're black, or because they're athletes?

(... 'cause it might be they're getting hit with the "dumb jock" stereotype. Certainly not in all of the cases, but surely it ain't always race.)
I guess you skipped over the part about playing QB in the NFL.

Dumb jock is a high school thing. It definitely exists at the college and pro levels, but to lesser degrees since it doest take a certain amount of intelligence to grasp the schemes employed at those levels.

NFL QB is the pinnacle of expectation in decision making in a quick manner in the sporting world and black QBs were almost completely excluded until fairly recently. So much that McNabb almost refuses to use his ability to scramble as he seems to fear he will be labeled an "athletic" QB.

Vaevictis
8/8/2007, 07:48 AM
I guess you skipped over the part about playing QB in the NFL.

I guess you skipped over the part about it not always being the case.

sanantoniosooner
8/8/2007, 07:58 AM
I guess you skipped over the part about it not always being the case.
Only recently.

Warren Moon fought like crazy to break that barrier. Randall Cunningham benefited but was still considered an "athletic" QB until his latter years.

Why don't you name the black QB that breaks the mould? If it's not always the case, then you should have several examples.

jk the sooner fan
8/8/2007, 07:59 AM
wait

there are black quarterbacks?

Hamhock
8/8/2007, 08:14 AM

as a phenomenal athlete, I'm offended.

royalfan5
8/8/2007, 08:16 AM
as a phenomenal athlete, I'm offended.
I've heard that athletically speaking, killing a bobcat is that hardest thing to do.

Hamhock
8/8/2007, 08:17 AM
That's what I hear. :O ;)

As a, well you know :O , I'm offended.

Vaevictis
8/8/2007, 08:18 AM
Why don't you name the black QB that breaks the mould? If it's not always the case, then you should have several examples.

If it isn't Sooner football, I don't pay attention. So really, if we're limiting ourselves to talking about football, I'm not going to have much to say.

But, I thought we were talking about black athletes in general, not just black football players.

sanantoniosooner
8/8/2007, 08:29 AM
If it isn't Sooner football, I don't pay attention. So really, if we're limiting ourselves to talking about football, I'm not going to have much to say.

But, I thought we were talking about black athletes in general, not just black football players.
We were discussing the stereotype of black athletes being more gifted physically and I included that there is an additional stereotype that piggybacks on that one about them being less gifted mentally. This COMBINATION of stereotypes is what makes the stereotype offensive to many.

Vaevictis
8/8/2007, 08:30 AM
Hence I was asking: How much (and how often) is that because they are black, and how much (and how often) is that because they are just athletes?

Because in my experience, athletes in general get saddled with being considered less mentally gifted. (And no, not just at the high school level, in my experience.)

Osce0la
8/8/2007, 09:07 AM
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/8566/ad1fy3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
I say oversensitive, but maybe it's because I'm a white male

Story from NPR

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12560118
I honestly don't see how that can be taken as anything but offensive...horrible advertising...someone should be fired...and sued.

TexasLidig8r
8/8/2007, 09:13 AM
wait

there are black quarterbacks?

Yeah.. there was some dude coming out of UT who had a pretty fair rookie year in Tennessee.. but you mofo's wanted to make him a wide receiver. :D

TexasLidig8r
8/8/2007, 09:18 AM
I honestly don't see how that can be taken as anything but offensive...horrible advertising...someone should be fired...and sued.

Sued? Under what basis? That someone came up with advertising that some people find offensive, which gets even more people to talk about the product, to do internet researches on it, to look more at the product and thus increase its sales because in a very short amount of time, the "hoo-ha" will die out and you will be left only remembering the product?

Throw in that pesky little First Amendment thing and the fact that depending on the state in which the employee and company reside, there may be state employment laws at issue to protect the employee.. and...

If this site is a microcosm of the nation as a whole, the sales of this product will undoubtedly increase and if the ad agency has a bonus plan in place contingent on the increase in sales of the items, they, undoubtedly will get a pat on the back and a hefty bonus.

Osce0la
8/8/2007, 09:30 AM
Sued? Under what basis? That someone came up with advertising that some people find offensive, which gets even more people to talk about the product, to do internet researches on it, to look more at the product and thus increase its sales because in a very short amount of time, the "hoo-ha" will die out and you will be left only remembering the product?

Throw in that pesky little First Amendment thing and the fact that depending on the state in which the employee and company reside, there may be state employment laws at issue to protect the employee.. and...

If this site is a microcosm of the nation as a whole, the sales of this product will undoubtedly increase and if the ad agency has a bonus plan in place contingent on the increase in sales of the items, they, undoubtedly will get a pat on the back and a hefty bonus.
psst...

it was a joke, notice the cotton

TexasLidig8r
8/8/2007, 10:00 AM
psst...

it was a joke, notice the cotton

http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/images/homer_simpson_doh_110w.jpg

You ruined a perfectly good rant... biznacho.

47straight
8/8/2007, 12:12 PM
I figure this is as good a time as any to repost this gem on race relations and athletic abilities.

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/?p=2340

crawfish
8/8/2007, 12:14 PM
It think them folks look fine. It's not racist at all.

Scott D
8/8/2007, 12:26 PM

what's your supervisor's email again? :D :D :D ;)

stoopified
8/8/2007, 01:44 PM
Molehill grows up to be mountain.

Stoop Dawg
8/8/2007, 02:33 PM
I have to say it's racist as well. I'm tired of white 30-something males being portrayed as IT managers. When will people finally realize that white 30-something males can do something OTHER than be IT managers??? Sickening.....

LosAngelesSooner
8/8/2007, 02:42 PM

If they HAD to go with something like this, I would have mechanized the athletes a bit to keep them from being identified with a race, or removed the white guy and placed a server rack in the middle. Exactly. Or a black computer tech. They DO exist. ;)

or they could have used formula one race cars Another better idea than the one they came up with.

You know, even a female tech might have pulled it off, or a female ASIAN tech. With a short plaid skirt...and knee high stockings...and pig tails...

er...sorry. Lost myself in a moment, there...

But I think the biggest problem is that it actually looks like they are all bowing to their white master.

dolemitesooner
8/8/2007, 02:43 PM
Exactly. Or a black computer tech. They DO exist. ;)

But I think the biggest problem is that it actually looks like they are all bowing to their white master.
Wtf do you know you no coming around pos

LosAngelesSooner
8/8/2007, 02:54 PM
Wtf do you know you no coming around pos
See? Case in point: This particular white male couldn't EVER be an IT guy, because he couldn't figure out how to turn the darned things ON.

;)

jk the sooner fan
8/8/2007, 03:31 PM
doleo cant pull of the khaki pant look either

dolemitesooner
8/8/2007, 03:33 PM
doleo cant pull of the khaki pant look either
I where exactly what that guy is wearing to work everyday. :confused: So I guess I can

TopDawg
8/8/2007, 05:25 PM
I know someone else has already mentioned this, but it seemed to have been swept under the rug. The athlete/non-athlete part seems secondary to me. The fact that it looks like they're all bowing down to the boss seems to be the more...I don't know...weird/dumb/racist? part of the whole thing.

sooneron
8/8/2007, 10:01 PM
Yeah, the cocky milquetoast dude in the center looking satisfied upon his minions is the part that seems not so cool to me.

usmc-sooner
8/8/2007, 11:22 PM
I'm offended at the white guy, why in the hell would have that many black guys on your staff.

I keed I keed :D :D :D

Tulsa_Fireman
8/9/2007, 10:38 AM
This is retarded.

Muscled up guys, lean, mean, carbon copies in track singlets, the personification of raw horsepower multiplied by six, in a starting stance like they're ready to explode from the blocks.

And that says 'bowing down to their master'?

That's reaching.

Hell, that's trying to find something offensive. Like minorities can't bend over and have their picture taken in the vicinity of white people because it gives the impression that they're being lorded over. What's next, a racial minority picking up a 20 dollar bill of the sidewalk being offensive because he's stooping to the white man's greed?

This is Ward Churchill caliber crap.

TopDawg
8/9/2007, 12:24 PM
This is retarded.

Muscled up guys, lean, mean, carbon copies in track singlets, the personification of raw horsepower multiplied by six, in a starting stance like they're ready to explode from the blocks.

And that says 'bowing down to their master'?

That's reaching.

When I first glanced at it, it looked to me like they were bowing down. That's the first thing that came to mind. Then I noticed the outfits and their pose and I realized what was really going on. But my first reaction was "that's weird."

The title of this thread indicates that it must be either racism or oversensitivity. I don't think it's either. Like others have said, I think it's just stupidity by the people who came up with the ad.

LosAngelesSooner
8/9/2007, 05:52 PM
Yeah. I think it was a stupid oversight/accident.

But the guy who approved/put together the ad is probably not sitting on the most secure job in the world right now. Not because he's "racist" or anything. Just because he's incompetent. He should have seen this coming when he finished the ad. It's pretty clear. He just ain't too good at his jorb.

GottaHavePride
8/10/2007, 08:00 PM
Well, this made it to Page 3 without a personal attack. Nice job, minions.

TopDawg
8/12/2007, 08:04 AM
Up yours, moran.

Jerk
8/12/2007, 08:21 AM
People need to get over this sh.t and stop being offended so damned easily.

sanantoniosooner
8/12/2007, 09:44 AM
As soon as people quite being stupid you'll get your wish.

Jerk
8/12/2007, 09:50 AM
As soon as people quite being stupid you'll get your wish.

They don't understand the simple logic in it. It's like when Judge Roberts said something like, "The best way to stop discriminating based on race is to stop discriminating based on race." All the emo tards were up in arms.

sanantoniosooner
8/12/2007, 01:20 PM
The problem is that you can't ignore race. It has to do with who people are. The foods they eat, the activities they participate in, and the way they interact with others.

To completely ignore a persons race is to deny who they are.

There IS a proper amount of ethnicity recognition. I don't know how much that is, but as long as people on both ends dig their heels in we wont ever get there.

Pretending it's not an issue because it doesn't affect you is as silly as pretending every thing that happens is because of race. The extreme viewpoints are as uninformed as they are contributing to the problem.

Widescreen
8/12/2007, 02:45 PM
OK folks. Here's the video featuring the dialog I mentioned earlier in the thread. The topic of race does have a humorous side and this episode REALLY brings it out. It's a 2-parter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfofiB5-Teg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4PX4PoWH74

1stTimeCaller
8/12/2007, 03:14 PM
I ran track in the 8th grade. I got beat by a girl in the 800.

In my defense I was running against 9th graders and there were three guys and two girls in the race. I had a bronze locked up before we started. I had to slow wayyy down in the last turn to see how my buddy Austin was doing in the high jump and she overtook me on the straightaway.

Okla-homey
8/12/2007, 03:29 PM
I ran track in the 8th grade. I got beat by a girl in the 800.

In my defense I was running against 9th graders and there were three guys and two girls in the race. I had a bronze locked up before we started. I had to slow wayyy down in the last turn to pee and she overtook me on the straightaway.

fixed it.;)

SicEmBaylor
8/12/2007, 04:35 PM
There was that guy from Baylor that won gold in the 400 at the last olympics. Dave Johnson the decathlete as well.
Baylor is known as 400mU. We've produced quite a few Olympic track medalists including some real greats. Michael Johnson is who you're thinking of though.

sooneron
8/12/2007, 05:25 PM
By the way- One of my favorite spectator sports is watching white male conjecture on what should or should not offend people of color or other races. It's gold, because they are always right. right?

royalfan5
8/12/2007, 06:15 PM
Baylor is known as 400mU. We've produced quite a few Olympic track medalists including some real greats. Michael Johnson is who you're thinking of though.
If by Michael Johnson, you mean Jeremy Warnier, you'd be correct.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Wariner

He's still a current Baylor student.

SicEmBaylor
8/12/2007, 06:19 PM
If by Michael Johnson, you mean Jeremy Warnier, you'd be correct.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Wariner

He's still a current Baylor student.

I mean Michael Johnson. I was referring to Olympic gold medal winning track stars that ran the 400.

http://www.saxton.com.au/saxton_db_data/images/Johnson_Michael.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Johnson_%28athlete%29

usmc-sooner
8/12/2007, 06:20 PM
By the way- One of my favorite spectator sports is watching white male conjecture on what should or should not offend people of color or other races. It's gold, because they are always right. right?

people who get offended crack me up. Make something of yourself and nobody is going to be able to say or do crap. I kinda compare this to what the great Billy Tubbs used to say about people getting ****ed about getting blown out, he simply said get better.

but to simply sit around and whine about how other people think/ or perceive you, to me is a weak and defeatist attitude. One of the greatest guys I've ever known is a black guy I served with in the USMC, he had the same attitude. He has been very successful.

Okla-homey
8/12/2007, 06:53 PM
people who get offended crack me up. Make something of yourself and nobody is going to be able to say or do crap. I kinda compare this to what the great Billy Tubbs used to say about people getting ****ed about getting blown out, he simply said get better.

but to simply sit around and whine about how other people think/ or perceive you, to me is a weak and defeatist attitude. One of the greatest guys I've ever known is a black guy I served with in the USMC, he had the same attitude. He has been very successful.

Ditto Leatherneck,

It's been my experience based on extensive world travel and 47 years on the planet, folks who are easily offended by perceived affronts to their cultural identity have deep-seated inferiority issues.

But hey, that's just me.

royalfan5
8/12/2007, 07:26 PM
I mean Michael Johnson. I was referring to Olympic gold medal winning track stars that ran the 400.

http://www.saxton.com.au/saxton_db_data/images/Johnson_Michael.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Johnson_%28athlete%29
And I was talking about Jeremy Warnier, who is white. Which fits with the crux of this thread.

Jerk
8/12/2007, 07:41 PM
Can't we all just...get along?

OCUDad
8/12/2007, 07:59 PM
Is it fair to say, after 104 posts on this topic, that SOME people are being oversensitive? :rolleyes:

sanantoniosooner
8/12/2007, 09:18 PM
And some people are racist;)

sanantoniosooner
8/12/2007, 09:20 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

1stTimeCaller
8/12/2007, 09:38 PM
on some things that offend others I agree that steps should be taken to eliminate what the other person finds offensive. On other things I think the person that is offended should just deal with it and get over it.

I have no list and don't have any qualitative way to determine which scenario to go with but I'm learning as I get older that it's easier and everyone is happier when I go with number 1.

sanantoniosooner
8/12/2007, 09:40 PM
everyone is happier when I go with number 1.
Especially the carpet cleaners.

1stTimeCaller
8/12/2007, 09:43 PM
HI YO!!!!!

sooneron
8/12/2007, 10:04 PM
Especially the carpet munchers.
Double Hi-YO!!!

Stoop Dawg
8/17/2007, 03:51 PM
I haven't really been following this thread.

Did we decide that depicting white, 30-something males as IT managers is racist or not? I mean seriously, I'm a "Software Engineer" not some low-brow net admin who barely knows how to plug in a power cable. When will the affronts to my people end???

Edmond Sooner
8/17/2007, 06:22 PM

You sound like you need a new sport to gawk at then--this one is making you uncivil in your interactions with others. Playing the race card is a poor way to debate, even on a message board.

sanantoniosooner
8/17/2007, 06:37 PM
You sound like you need a new sport to gawk at then--this one is making you uncivil in your interactions with others. Playing the race card is a poor way to debate, even on a message board.
It's a thread about the race card you dingleberry.:rolleyes:

Edmond Sooner
8/17/2007, 08:12 PM
It's a thread about the race card you dingleberry.:rolleyes:

Although I don't remember yanking your chain, I will be happy to inform you that no, it is not. About the race card, that is. It is about an hyper-sensitive PC culture that strains to take offense at the most innocuous of images, words, and utterances. What your hero, whom I was actually replying to, was engaged in was "playing the race card," which is why I pointed it out.
BTW, that cute little rolly-eyes thing you added to the end of your reply to me might make your boyfriend giggle, but it doesn't curdle much beer out my way. But it does make me snicker... Just FYI.

SicEmBaylor
8/17/2007, 08:19 PM
People sure get easily offended around here.

sanantoniosooner
8/17/2007, 08:21 PM
Although I don't remember yanking your chain, I will be happy to inform you that no, it is not. About the race card, that is. It is about an hyper-sensitive PC culture that strains to take offense at the most innocuous of images, words, and utterances. What your hero, whom I was actually replying to, was engaged in was "playing the race card," which is why I pointed it out.
BTW, that cute little rolly-eyes thing you added to the end of your reply to me might make your boyfriend giggle, but it doesn't curdle much beer out my way. But it does make me snicker... Just FYI.
I'm going to reply on the off chance you aren't as stupid as your post suggests.

"innocuous" is one man's opinion and often translates into "offensive" for another man.

And when I want "information" about you I'll google scat artist.

Edmond Sooner
8/17/2007, 11:11 PM
I'm going to reply on the off chance you aren't as stupid as your post suggests.

"innocuous" is one man's opinion and often translates into "offensive" for another man.

And when I want "information" about you I'll google scat artist.

Lame.

sanantoniosooner
8/18/2007, 08:46 AM
Lame.
Surrender noted.

Edmond Sooner
8/18/2007, 11:25 AM
Surrender noted.

Then your reading comprehension is even weaker than I first realized.

Edmond Sooner
8/18/2007, 11:35 AM
People sure get easily offended around here.

More likely pretending to be offended. It's been the great American pastime on the loony Left for many years now: examining every nook and cranny of a picture, every nuance of a word or how its spoken, or any artistic rendition that doesn't grovel in debasement of Western Civilization for traces of "offensive" content. And this very thread has followed a dreary pattern. Party A posts "Racist Ad or people being oversensitive??" Party B chooses door #2. Party C says Party B has no right to opine on the question because Party B is a *gasp* white male. Party D says Party B has every right to express his opinion on an open forum. Party C says everyone who doesn't agree with their opinion is a racist, so shut up. And on it goes, this great Orwellian drama called political correctness.

OCUDad
8/18/2007, 12:03 PM
It is so refreshing to finally have a condescending pseudo-intellectual on the South Oval.

Edmond Sooner
8/18/2007, 12:39 PM
I forgot to include "Party E": a self-made wit who really has nothing to say about the topic at hand and, more importantly, no really coherent way to say it if they did, but who nevertheless thinks a pointless snarky comment inserted at random puts them in the same room with the cool kids. There; I think that just about covers it.

SoonerAtKU
8/18/2007, 12:42 PM
Wait, which Party gets all butt-hurt when their over-thought diatribe gets dismissed as nonsense?

LosAngelesSooner
8/18/2007, 12:55 PM
More likely pretending to be offended. It's been the great American pastime on the loony Left for many years now: examining every nook and cranny of a picture, every nuance of a word or how its spoken, or any artistic rendition that doesn't grovel in debasement of Western Civilization for traces of "offensive" content. And this very thread has followed a dreary pattern. Party A posts "Racist Ad or people being oversensitive??" Party B chooses door #2. Party C says Party B has no right to opine on the question because Party B is a *gasp* white male. Party D says Party B has every right to express his opinion on an open forum. Party C says everyone who doesn't agree with their opinion is a racist, so shut up. And on it goes, this great Orwellian drama called political correctness. Which party was the one who had "beer curdle" out his way? TIA

I forgot to include "Party E": a self-made wit who really has nothing to say about the topic at hand and, more importantly, no really coherent way to say it if they did, but who nevertheless thinks a pointless snarky comment inserted at random puts them in the same room with the cool kids. There; I think that just about covers it. Well, you just insulted about 90% of the S.O. with that one...

(forgot the winkey ;) )

BTW, that cute little rolly-eyes thing you added to the end of your reply to me might make your boyfriend giggle, but it doesn't curdle much beer out my way. But it does make me snicker... Just FYI. I feel a shoe whipping coming on...:pop:

(p.s. - before you ask, my boyfriend likes the popcorn thingy)

sanantoniosooner
8/18/2007, 01:25 PM
Cut Edmond Sooner some slack.

PMS is a *****

Harry Beanbag
8/18/2007, 07:09 PM
It is so refreshing to finally have a condescending pseudo-intellectual on the South Oval.

No kidding, we were sorely lacking in that area. :)

mdklatt
8/18/2007, 07:20 PM
It is about an hyper-sensitive PC culture that strains to take offense at the most innocuous of images, words, and utterances.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

:pop:

Stoop Dawg
8/20/2007, 04:21 PM
not some low-brow net admin who barely knows how to plug in a power cable.

Wow, I thought this would **** off at least one of you cable-jockys. I guess Edmond Sooner is stealing my thunder. Bastage.

sooneron
8/20/2007, 04:41 PM
I bow down to your superior intellect. Race card? Go the **** away noob.

TexasLidig8r
8/20/2007, 04:45 PM

hehem.... :mad:

sooneron
8/20/2007, 04:47 PM
hehem.... :mad:
You're just a dirty old man.:texan:

C&CDean
8/20/2007, 04:59 PM
Well to be totally honest boys and girls, I've gotta agree with Edmond Sooner on this one. My only beef is his use of brazillion dollar words. He needs to be more tubaesque and say things at a 3rd grade level.

sooneron
8/20/2007, 05:13 PM
Well, there we have it, the differing opinion HAS to be wrong.

Stoop Dawg
8/20/2007, 05:16 PM
I forgot to include "Party E": a self-made wit who really has nothing to say about the topic at hand and, more importantly, no really coherent way to say it if they did, but who nevertheless thinks a pointless snarky comment inserted at random puts them in the same room with the cool kids. There; I think that just about covers it.

Make no mistake. The "cool kids" aren't debating racism or political correctness on internet message boards. Until you put your real name on a blog with a national audience, you're just a two-bit hack like the rest of us.

Welcome.

C&CDean
8/20/2007, 05:19 PM
Well, there we have it, the differing opinion HAS to be wrong.

No, it doesn't. However, I find humor when white boys tell other white boys "don't go around thinking you know what people of other races think" - like they know wtf people of other races actually think.

I'm pretty much prejudiced against anybody who gets offended and all the people who try and tell us that it's righteous for them to be offended. Especially when they're offended by the stupidest **** that has no intent behind it.

Hell, the other day I said "OJ is a murderering *******." Some guy said "if he were white you'd feel differently about him." I said "oh, so now cutting a couple people's throats is a racial thing?" Meh.

Harry Beanbag
8/20/2007, 05:19 PM
Make no mistake. The "cool kids" aren't debating racism or political correctness on internet message boards. Until you put your real name on a blog with a national audience, you're just a two-bit hack like the rest of us.

Welcome.

Maybe we can unionize and get health insurance.

sanantoniosooner
8/20/2007, 05:20 PM
Well the poster boy for "redneck" has weighed in :D

C&CDean
8/20/2007, 05:22 PM
Dude, I only own like two pearl-snap shirts. And coming from German/Chippewa ancestry, I am highly offended at your use of the word "redneck." You hate all indians. I can tell.

mdklatt
8/20/2007, 05:24 PM

Rednecks don't read Harry Potter. They might go to the movies, but they certainly don't read the books.

:twinkies:

jk the sooner fan
8/20/2007, 05:26 PM
Maybe we can unionize and get health insurance.

ooooooooooh, now there is a GREAT idea

sooneron
8/20/2007, 05:30 PM
No, it doesn't. However, I find humor when white boys tell other white boys "don't go around thinking you know what people of other races think" - like they know wtf people of other races actually think.

I'm pretty much prejudiced against anybody who gets offended and all the people who try and tell us that it's righteous for them to be offended. Especially when they're offended by the stupidest **** that has no intent behind it.

Hell, the other day I said "OJ is a murderering *******." Some guy said "if he were white you'd feel differently about him." I said "oh, so now cutting a couple people's throats is a racial thing?" Meh.
Actually, I didn't tell ANYONE that they didn't know what others thought. I said that I thought it was funny to listen to white people sit around and pretty much say that black people shouldn't be offended when they have never been in a black person's shoes.
Hell, I never even said that the ad was that offensive, however, I could see how a black person could find it so.