PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Rankings Top preTENders?

Jacie
8/7/2007, 11:24 AM
The USA Today poll released to coincide with the start of fall drills contains the usual list of teams at the top and some BCS hopefuls in the 11-25 range. As always occurs, once the games begin some teams will drop out out of the poll to be replaced by previously unranked ones. Not even Top 10 teams are a lock to have a great season. So from the Top 10, which ones might be at risk to take a tumble? Here's the list.

USA Today

1.USC
2.LSU
3.Florida
4.Texas
5.Michigan
6.West Virginia
7.Wisconsin
8.Oklahoma
9.Virginia Tech
10.Ohio St.

Most fans of schools not in the Big East are quick to discount West Virginia. However, they may be the best team in their league (back-to-back 11 win seasons) and they have an easy nonconference schedule (Western Michigan, Marshall, Maryland, Mississippi State). The two big games for WV are an away game at Rutgers and Louisville at home.

As much as I hate southern cow, the condoms will probably stay in the Top 10. I don't see more than two losses on their schedule and those will have to be upsets to occur at all. Their odds of running the table are only slightly less than West Virginia's.

Every other team in the Top 10 has to play one or more of the other teams. Among those eight teams will be 6 losses from head-to-head matchups:

OU-saxet
Virginia Tech at LSU
Florida at LSU
Wisconsin at Ohio State
Michigan at Wisconsin
Ohio State at Michigan

One team that may have problems staying highly ranked is Virginia Tech, playing an early road game at LSU (as well as ACC teams Florida State and Miami). The tigers just don't lose a lot of home games.

However, I think it is LSU who is overrated at this point in the season. The tigers' QB was the top draft pick this year, and a couple of his receivers were first-round picks as well. But apparently, everyone thinks the entire SEC is going to experience an off year because LSU is the pick to be the best team. I think this is the year for other teams to take em down. It may be Alabama or Arkansas but some SEC team is going to beat em this year.

The three Big 10 teams play each other. If one team loses both games to the other two that alone might be enough to drop them from the Top 10. Michigan, which has been tabbed early on as the best of the three, also has the toughest nonconference schedule (playing Notre Dame), while Ohio State (Akron, Youngstown State and at Washington) and Wisconsin (Washington State, at UNLV and Citadel) pretty much drew out-of-conference bye games.

Florida's in good shape with a National Champion team largely intact and a #1 class coming in. Except for the tigers and their neutral site game with Georgia, they play the tough games on their schedule at home.

Oklahoma and saxet should both stay in the Top 10, despite a loss to one of them (unless somehow that star whorn QB turns out to have been a product of his O-line which graduated).

Summing up, I think the Top preTENders this year are LSU, followed by Virginia Tech, and one of the Big 10 teams.

MojoRisen
8/7/2007, 11:55 AM
Florida will drop- they lost too much on Defense - like 13 of their top tacklers are gone. That is too much to reload in one year- regardless of talent.

Ohio St. Has lost too many weapons to compete with Michigan this year and will loose to Wisconsin as well.

Those would be my two- Florida is way over rated. Ohio St should be top 25maybe 20 we will see.

HTown77095
8/7/2007, 12:28 PM
I'm betting $1 that LSU will come down. Les has been winning off of Sabans players. As his players leave, LSU will sink little by little. I don't think their going to be the national contender that some think.

HTown77095
8/7/2007, 12:33 PM
Without a doubt USC will stay up there. Too much talent and such and easy schedule. Hopefully, the NCAA will drop the hammer and order immediate death to the program before the end of the year. I know, its like winning the lottery, it'll never happen but...its fun to think about :)

The Maestro
8/7/2007, 12:39 PM
I am not so sure about LSU dropping...schedule is easier this year than last with so many tough games on the road last year. Matt Flynn is proven at QB. He led LSU to the blowout win over Miami in the Peach Bowl a few years ago...just a backup to a freak of an athlete last year in JaMarcus Russell.

Ohio State is a joke this year unless MANY new faces step up. Too many holes to fill with Smith, Pittman, Ginn and Gonzo all in the NFL now.

Florida needs to prove to me that Tebow can do more than take a snap and run up the gut with it. Repeating is hard...that's why it is done so rarely. Just ask USC and their one title.

soonerinabilene
8/7/2007, 12:52 PM
If lsu drops, it wont be because of their qb. Flynn is the real deal. I know it was a year and a half ago, but he dominated Miami in that bowl game. If they fall, everybody knows it will be because of the coach.

Florida lost a lot on d, and im not sold on Tebow being the lone qb. No way they stay at #3.

Virginia Tech is interesting. Their D should be one of the best in the country. Emotion is going to be a big factor for them this season. You know the first game of the season for them is going to be a very emotional event, and you have to wonder if it will effect them as the season goes on and the emotion wears off.

Michigan is about the same as lsu. Amazing returning talent. A coach that snap defeat out of the jaws of victory.

Salt City Sooner
8/7/2007, 12:56 PM
I am not so sure about LSU dropping...schedule is easier this year than last with so many tough games on the road last year. Matt Flynn is proven at QB. He led LSU to the blowout win over Miami in the Peach Bowl a few years ago...just a backup to a freak of an athlete last year in JaMarcus Russell.

Ohio State is a joke this year unless MANY new faces step up. Too many holes to fill with Smith, Pittman, Ginn and Gonzo all in the NFL now.

Florida needs to prove to me that Tebow can do more than take a snap and run up the gut with it. Repeating is hard...that's why it is done so rarely. Just ask USC and their one title.
Bingo. LSU's toughest roadies are hands down 'Bama & possibly Kentucky (if that game becomes a shootout). Unless Saban can pull a major turnaround in very short order, or Woodson can torch the heck out of an outstanding Tiger defense, there's no reason for an LSU loss in either of those games. They get Va. Tech, Florida, Auburn & Arkansas all at home.

colleyvillesooner
8/7/2007, 01:21 PM
If lsu drops, it wont be because of their qb. Flynn is the real deal. I know it was a year and a half ago, but he dominated Miami in that bowl game. If they fall, everybody knows it will be because of the coach.

Kinda.

He was 13/22 for 196 yards (115 on 4 passes) and two TD's, one of which was a 4 yard pass.

Their D was what was dominate that day. Only gave up 100 yards passing and 74 yards rushing (52 on 2 runs).

bcgvh
8/7/2007, 01:45 PM
The USA Today poll released to coincide with the start of fall drills contains the usual list of teams at the top and some BCS hopefuls in the 11-25 range. As always occurs, once the games begin some teams will drop out out of the poll to be replaced by previously unranked ones. Not even Top 10 teams are a lock to have a great season. So from the Top 10, which ones might be at risk to take a tumble? Here's the list.

USA Today

1.USC
2.LSU
3.Florida
4.Texas
5.Michigan
6.West Virginia
7.Wisconsin
8.Oklahoma
9.Virginia Tech
10.Ohio St.

Most fans of schools not in the Big East are quick to discount West Virginia. However, they may be the best team in their league (back-to-back 11 win seasons) and they have an easy nonconference schedule (Western Michigan, Marshall, Maryland, Mississippi State). The two big games for WV are an away game at Rutgers and Louisville at home.

As much as I hate southern cow, the condoms will probably stay in the Top 10. I don't see more than two losses on their schedule and those will have to be upsets to occur at all. Their odds of running the table are only slightly less than West Virginia's.

Every other team in the Top 10 has to play one or more of the other teams. Among those eight teams will be 6 losses from head-to-head matchups:

OU-saxet
Virginia Tech at LSU
Florida at LSU
Wisconsin at Ohio State
Michigan at Wisconsin
Ohio State at Michigan

One team that may have problems staying highly ranked is Virginia Tech, playing an early road game at LSU (as well as ACC teams Florida State and Miami). The tigers just don't lose a lot of home games.

However, I think it is LSU who is overrated at this point in the season. The tigers' QB was the top draft pick this year, and a couple of his receivers were first-round picks as well. But apparently, everyone thinks the entire SEC is going to experience an off year because LSU is the pick to be the best team. I think this is the year for other teams to take em down. It may be Alabama or Arkansas but some SEC team is going to beat em this year.

The three Big 10 teams play each other. If one team loses both games to the other two that alone might be enough to drop them from the Top 10. Michigan, which has been tabbed early on as the best of the three, also has the toughest nonconference schedule (playing Notre Dame), while Ohio State (Akron, Youngstown State and at Washington) and Wisconsin (Washington State, at UNLV and Citadel) pretty much drew out-of-conference bye games.

Florida's in good shape with a National Champion team largely intact and a #1 class coming in. Except for the tigers and their neutral site game with Georgia, they play the tough games on their schedule at home.

Oklahoma and saxet should both stay in the Top 10, despite a loss to one of them (unless somehow that star whorn QB turns out to have been a product of his O-line which graduated).

Summing up, I think the Top preTENders this year are LSU, followed by Virginia Tech, and one of the Big 10 teams.

Unfortunately, USC is likely to be back in the NC game this year with their easy schedule and all the talent they have. They're so far ahead of the rest of the PAC-10 it's ridiculous. LSU is going to be pretty good I think, and once again, their schedule sets them up nicely. I think at the end of the season everyone will be griping about who should be in the NC game again, and I'm predicting it will be between USC, LSU, and the winner of the Red River Shootout, which will probably be us, because Texas sucks balls without Vince. Michigan is over-rated every year. West Virginia? Ehhh, same story as last year. Mark it down.

The Maestro
8/7/2007, 02:04 PM
I am still wondering why everyone thinks USC is head and shoulders above everyone else in the Pac 10. I mean, uh...did I NOT see them lose to two seemingly unranked Pac 10 teams last year or was that just a dream? Booty is no Palmer or Leinart yet...sure, 10 running backs, but you can only play two at a time. All American center is gone. Jarrett and Smith are gone as receivers. Yes, the defense is loaded, but there are question marks for this offense.

That is the beauty of this year in college football. A team could come from any position...say, like number 8...and win it all! :)

soonerhubs
8/7/2007, 02:35 PM
I am still wondering why everyone thinks USC is head and shoulders above everyone else in the Pac 10. I mean, uh...did I NOT see them lose to two seemingly unranked Pac 10 teams last year or was that just a dream? Booty is no Palmer or Leinart yet...sure, 10 running backs, but you can only play two at a time. All American center is gone. Jarrett and Smith are gone as receivers. Yes, the defense is loaded, but there are question marks for this offense.

That is the beauty of this year in college football. A team could come from any position...say, like number 8...and win it all! :)
Word. People, mostly sports writers, don't seem to comprehend how valuable an experienced Offensive Line is.

yermom
8/7/2007, 02:37 PM
USC was 2-1 in Vegas to win. that seems insane, i mean 1-1 might make sense knowing they were actually in the game. if anyone wants to give me action on this, PEEM me :D

OU was 10-1, i almost put some money down, but i didn't want to jinx us :D

DalHorn
8/7/2007, 02:56 PM
LSU's window is this year with an easy schedule. A tough road schedule and the "Miles effect" will take hold next year. I could see them running the table and getting beat by someone at home (might as well be) in the NC game. Most likely candidate is USC.

CU Sooner
8/7/2007, 03:43 PM
I will have to go with saxet and cheeseville.

Not saying saxet won't be any good but losing 3 ol to the nfl is going to be tough. It takes several games for an ol to gel and by the time they do they may have lost 2 early ones. TCU has a good enough D they could cause some problems. If the line struggles and colt gets dinged up they could be in real trouble. That's what I see.

As for cheeseville, they won't catch the same breaks they did last year and will lose to osu, mich, psu and some team they shouldn't, possibly purdue.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/7/2007, 06:21 PM
No way The Ohio State University is a preseason Top 10 team. Plus, they get extra demerits for switching to a FieldTurf surface at their stadium.

BornandBred
8/8/2007, 01:12 PM
I think they stand to lose some ground with all they lost in the NFL Draft. It would be hard not to.

I think Ohio State will be better than many think, but they don't belong in the top 10. Florida will drop considerably. Defense wins championships, and from what I've read they are rebuilding on D.

Nail on the head with this one. I'm so sick of all the man on man love the media is giving to USC. They haven't played a down this year and are being crowned "Best of all Time"... what a joke. I still think they might lose 2 this year. And I just read something about how a true freshman (Mcknight) might be making a run at the heisman... you've got to be kidding me. Kid hasn't taken a snap in college. The fact is they are going to be good, but they WILL have a few close games. Hopefully they get picked off and brought back down to planet Earth. Boomer Sooner.