PDA

View Full Version : A good article on TRRW...

TMcGee86
8/6/2007, 08:35 AM
I know a lot of you guys hate the Cowboys, but I thought this was a pretty cool write up about what a great guy TRRW is. I can attest that when I was in Oxnard for TC two years ago, he signed autographs after every practice and was by far the most approachable of the team. He seems like a really great guy.

03:45 AM CDT on Monday, August 6, 2007
By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

SAN ANTONIO – Roy Williams said he's going to play with more joy this season.

There will be no more haggling over his play at strong safety, no more worries about the media and fan criticism.

Williams is at peace with himself and his team as the season starts.

"He's more focused and more determined," secondary coach Todd Bowles said. "I don't know what he does in his personal life, but he does seem to have a lot more peace in his life right now. At times last year, maybe he didn't and it looked like he had a lot of things on his mind that he didn't share. But this year, he has a clear conscience and has his mind on football."

For as much as inside linebacker Bradie James is the heart and soul of the Cowboys defense, it is Williams who provides the edge.

Last season, he couldn't provide it consistently. The Cowboys' 3-4 defensive scheme kept Williams far from the line of scrimmage.

Williams didn't register a sack for the second time in three seasons. He also had two tackles for loss, tying a career low. And for the first time in his career, he didn't force a fumble. What Williams did was register 17 pass breakups, a career high.

Williams had to help rookie Patrick Watkins, who started at free safety, especially on long pass plays.

It led to a belief in the media that Williams was poor in pass coverage.

"I forgive you," Williams said of the media criticism.

It's that criticism that pushed Williams to spend more time with the fans. After almost every practice here in training camp, Williams is signing autographs. He walks toward the end zone and grabs pens and Sharpies and signs footballs, helmets, jerseys and posters.

Last week, after one practice, Williams left a golf cart where he was in the middle of a phone conversation and started playing two-hand touch with some kids on the field. He became the quarterback and started diagramming plays.

"I just want to tell as many fans as possible, don't believe that I'm a bad guy," Williams said.

Williams led the team in interceptions with five. But that's not what the Cowboys expect from him. They want him punishing ball carriers near the line of scrimmage. The Cowboys defensive coaches need Williams to blitz more and put fear into tight ends across the middle of the field.

The Cowboys' new 3-4 scheme allows Williams to do this.

Cowboys strong safety Roy Williams didn't have a sack or force a fumble in 2006, but he had a career-best 17 pass breakups. More important, Williams is playing with a peace of mind that he attributes to his church.

Williams is a member of the Inspiring Body of Christ church in Oak Cliff. He leaves his Southlake home and sings on the men's choir from 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. every Sunday. Over a span of three days, the men's choir attended Cowboys practices and took up seven rows of seats, sang songs and played a 60-minute football game on the field. Williams took the choir out to a steak dinner.

"Just being around them, the fellowship with men where we have one common goal to serve God has helped me," Williams said.

Backup strong safety Keith Davis, who also attends the church and sings on the choir with Williams, said he's seen a different player

"Football is not what drives him," Davis said. "He has a renewed life for the Lord, and he knows he has to be an example on and off the field which he's always been. Now, he's not afraid to show his love for the Lord and he lets everybody know, 'I'm a football player, but I'm more than that.' "

sooner n houston
8/6/2007, 09:02 AM
Wow great article, thx for posting!

boomersooner28
8/6/2007, 09:06 AM
Great stuff!

meoveryouxinfinity
8/6/2007, 09:33 AM
More TRRWs, fewer Michael Vicks.

goingoneight
8/6/2007, 11:49 PM
Wow... an article about a Sooner-turned-cowboy without the negative spin. I guess the whole 'dallasnews' thing answers that question, though...

bluedogok
8/7/2007, 11:42 AM
The Dallas Morning News has been very less than complimentary of the Cowboys most of the time....they do have their nice moments though.

oumartin
8/7/2007, 02:36 PM
I love TRRW!