PDA

View Full Version : T-Mobile or AT&T

SicEmBaylor
8/5/2007, 10:56 PM
My Sprint contract is about over, and I'm wanting a Blackberry Pearl which means I'll be switching to either T-Mobile or AT&T.

I never liked Cinguar, and it seems like T-Mobile is a much better value for me at the moment, but which one of the two is going to screw me over more?

Both seem to have good coverage in Waco, so that's not a real concern.

sanantoniosooner
8/5/2007, 10:57 PM
Blockbuster

SoonerGirl06
8/5/2007, 10:57 PM
AT&T cuz I totally dig the Rollover minutes.

Not to mention they have the Boomer Sooner ringtone available. :D

soonerboomer93
8/5/2007, 10:59 PM
at&t has the iPhone

(i don't actually care about it, i want a razr2) but neither one works at 2100 mhz from what i've seen

I moved from T-Mobile to Cingular and had my coverage improved, I wasn't getting random dropped calls any more

SoonerGirl06
8/5/2007, 11:01 PM
Is the iPhone really as great as everyone says it is?

soonerboomer93
8/5/2007, 11:03 PM
supposedly the big thing is ease of use

Honestly, I have littel interest in it, I do have a very strong preference for flip phones

rufnek05
8/5/2007, 11:03 PM
AT&T. i've had them for 2 years, about to sign another contract.

oumartin
8/5/2007, 11:04 PM
I personally like Pioneer

SoonerGirl06
8/5/2007, 11:04 PM
Flip phones.... can be boogers to open in rush hour traffic.

rufnek05
8/5/2007, 11:12 PM
yeah, but forgetting to lock the keys on your phone can end bad too.

SoonerGirl06
8/5/2007, 11:16 PM
I never lock the keys on my phone.

Am I supposed to?

soonerboomer93
8/5/2007, 11:17 PM
with a slider or normal phone, I have to lock the keys because I carry in my front pocket and sometimes hit them

with a flip, I don't have to lock them. I've never had a problem opening a flip phone in rush hour, and the new razr's will display text messages on the external screen

rufnek05
8/5/2007, 11:18 PM
well the few times i didn't it ended up calling people that i never even should have had in my phone anymore.

SoonerGirl06
8/5/2007, 11:26 PM
Well, I guess I'm okay not locking my keys then since I have a flip.

And I hate having to try and open the damn thing in order to answer it. For some reason or another my fingers can never spread the thing open in time before it switches over to VM. :O

rufnek05
8/5/2007, 11:29 PM
i had a flip phone for a while, and just got tired of it. went back to nokia phone. much better.

bluedogok
8/5/2007, 11:34 PM
If you don't travel much outside of the major cities or interstates, T-Mobile coverage is alright. AT&T (and Verizon) has better coverage in the other areas than T-Mobile or Sprint. I will say that the AT&T/Cingular coverage down here was disappointing compared to OKC when I moved but it has become better in recent years.

I have the Samsung Blackjack, I still miss the Razr that my wife uses now because of the flip/keys issue.

Jimminy Crimson
8/5/2007, 11:37 PM
AT&T is the only option.

Been with them since 6th grade. (Well, Southwestern Bell Wireless, SBC, Cingular, and now AT&T)

SoonerGirl06
8/5/2007, 11:39 PM
My next phone will not be a flip. I can't stand 'em! I'm not sure what my next one will be though.

Are Blackjacks any good or should I wait till the iPhone becomes more reasonably priced?

rufnek05
8/5/2007, 11:41 PM
My next phone will not be a flip. I can't stand 'em! I'm not sure what my next one will be though.

Are Blackjacks any good or should I wait till the iPhone becomes more reasonably priced?

my buddy love his blackjak. says he's going to buy the second gen when it comes out.

bluedogok
8/6/2007, 12:00 AM
I have been pretty happy with mine but I really use a fraction of the features, the only real problem has been trying to get the Active Sync to work. I will probably replace it with an iPhone (or similar that will be out at that time) when my contract is up in 1.5 years just because of the screen area compared to the other PDA types. I wanted a MotoQ but didn't want to switch to Verizon.

SicEmBaylor
8/6/2007, 12:23 AM
well the few times i didn't it ended up calling people that i never even should have had in my phone anymore.
Heh, I really really embarrassed myself doing that once. God...

StuIsTheMan
8/6/2007, 12:28 AM
Verizon!

SicEmBaylor
8/6/2007, 12:29 AM
Verizon!
They don't have the pearl.

StuIsTheMan
8/6/2007, 12:38 AM
They don't have the pearl.
they got the Razor, the Crazor (the one I have) the Chocolate and another new one I can't remember what f'd up name they gave it...But those "Can you hear me now" ads are NS...I have been way out in the toolies and always had reception...

frankensooner
8/6/2007, 10:21 AM
I have used every provider at some point in my life except Verision, and I have to say that T-Mobile is the best service I have ever had. AT&T/Cingular just pizzed me off too frequently and I had to dump them.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/6/2007, 12:04 PM
T-Mobile is owned by Deutsche Telecomm. For me, 'nuf said. I'd rather give my money to ma bell. Plus my world coverage on my at&t phone ain't too bad...

bluedogok
8/6/2007, 12:15 PM
My mother and my sister both have T-Mobile (in OKC) and their service is great as long as they stay close to the cities or interstates. I chose SWBMS/Cingular/AT&T because of coverage in those areas that I ride my motorcycle (like the Hill Country) in non-existent for T-Mobile or Sprint/Nextel. Verizon is the only other one that comes close in coverage. I also carry an old tri-mode phone in the topcase just in case I get in a very remote area and all the only coverage is a rural service carrier.

It all depends on where you are or go and what your needs are.

hookem31
8/6/2007, 12:48 PM

Just got my Blackjack about a month ago. Don't know how I got by without it. It pretty much does everything the iPhone does and doesn't cost a week's pay. Plus, I like having buttons to push. Still don't trust the touch screen.

A friend just bought an iPhone, and although he likes it for the most part, he has grumbled about a few things. IMHO, if you're gonna go the iPhone route, wait for the next generation.

The only thing I don't like about the Blackjack is there's no owner's manual. You get a CD that has the manual on it. So no simply flipping through pages if you need an answer to a problem.

colleyvillesooner
8/6/2007, 01:37 PM
AT&T

mdklatt
8/6/2007, 01:41 PM
Even with my prepaid Cingular plan--which has a much smaller coverage area than their contract plans--I still have better coverage around here than other carriers' contract plans.

bluedogok
8/6/2007, 01:45 PM
Just got my Blackjack about a month ago. Don't know how I got by without it. It pretty much does everything the iPhone does and doesn't cost a week's pay. Plus, I like having buttons to push. Still don't trust the touch screen.That's a good thing because it has no touch screen. At least the one that I bought in March doesn't.

A friend just bought an iPhone, and although he likes it for the most part, he has grumbled about a few things. IMHO, if you're gonna go the iPhone route, wait for the next generation.
A friend who has one basically said the same thing and she is a complete Apple person.

hookem31
8/6/2007, 03:08 PM
That's a good thing because it has no touch screen. At least the one that I bought in March doesn't.

Was referring to the iPhone. :)

r5TPsooner
8/6/2007, 03:47 PM
My Sprint contract is about over, and I'm wanting a Blackberry Pearl which means I'll be switching to either T-Mobile or AT&T.

I never liked Cinguar, and it seems like T-Mobile is a much better value for me at the moment, but which one of the two is going to screw me over more?

Both seem to have good coverage in Waco, so that's not a real concern.

Just switched from Verizon to AT&T during our recent move to Oklahoma and have had the Blackberry Pearl since mid-March. AT&T is pretty good, with few dropped calls, but AT&T does not have very good customer service as compared to Verizon. My only real problem with Cingular besides the smallish print on the paper bill that I get per month, is the Blackberry Pearl itself and the retail locations customer service.

While it is a very solid all around phone, the damn thing locks up repeatedly. So much so that I visited the local AT&T on Memorial and the AT&T employee that helped me, told me that ALL of the Pearl's lock-up. My wife also has the red Pearl and it's the same way. There was no offer from the AT&T employee to help me with the problem but to keep my semi unreliable phone.

I was disappointed with the way it was handled because if you can't make a phone call with the phone.... what good is the damn thing? If you get one, look forward to being impressed, ****ed, disappointed, and getting to know the battery removal technique for the Blackberry Phone.

My suggestion is to get the newer Blackberry that is NOT the Pearl. It's not as sleek looking but more reliable IMO.

BTW, my experience with T-Mobile was terrible. I gladly paid the early termination fee after 9 months just to get away from them. Awful customer service & a boring selection of phones IMHO.

Good luck!

Good luck.

Preservation Parcels
8/6/2007, 04:17 PM
...AT&T does not have very good customer service as compared to Verizon.

I spent over 2 1/2 hours and a whole lot of patience talking with 5 people with Verizon last night.

Our previous contract had ended, and I needed to add one line so that all 6 in our family could have phones. In order to do that, they required that I get two plans. Apparently, Verizon has their own idea of birth control through limiting the number of people allowed on their "Family Plan." I had to fill out forms, scan and email them, explain things multiple times, listen to the one musak "hold" song over and over, and maintain a cheery disposition.

If Verizon's service is good, I can't even imagine what bad AT&T service would be like.

I did find out that because I'm a state employee, the upgraded phones were 90% off the original price, and there's a 15% discount off every month's bill. :rolleyes:

SicEmBaylor
8/6/2007, 05:04 PM
Just switched from Verizon to AT&T during our recent move to Oklahoma and have had the Blackberry Pearl since mid-March. AT&T is pretty good, with few dropped calls, but AT&T does not have very good customer service as compared to Verizon. My only real problem with Cingular besides the smallish print on the paper bill that I get per month, is the Blackberry Pearl itself and the retail locations customer service.

While it is a very solid all around phone, the damn thing locks up repeatedly. So much so that I visited the local AT&T on Memorial and the AT&T employee that helped me, told me that ALL of the Pearl's lock-up. My wife also has the red Pearl and it's the same way. There was no offer from the AT&T employee to help me with the problem but to keep my semi unreliable phone.

I was disappointed with the way it was handled because if you can't make a phone call with the phone.... what good is the damn thing? If you get one, look forward to being impressed, ****ed, disappointed, and getting to know the battery removal technique for the Blackberry Phone.

My suggestion is to get the newer Blackberry that is NOT the Pearl. It's not as sleek looking but more reliable IMO.

BTW, my experience with T-Mobile was terrible. I gladly paid the early termination fee after 9 months just to get away from them. Awful customer service & a boring selection of phones IMHO.

Good luck!

Good luck.

Is that a problem with the pearl or could it be ATT's pearl firmware? In other words, do you suppose the T-Mobile pearl's don't lock up since it has slightly different firmware? Also, one would be a GSM phone while the other would be CDMA if that makes a difference.

bluedogok
8/6/2007, 05:08 PM
ALL of them can suck when it comes to customer service, I have never really had many problems with SWBMS/Cingular/AT&T but then I have never really had to call them much. When I have had problems I have usually walked into a Cingular store and get the problem resolved.

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2007, 05:09 PM
Mother of GOD!
I ordered my pearl last night through Best Buy because it was about 20-30.00 cheaper to do so than ordering directly from AT&T. I wake up this morning and the AT&T website is advertising free f-ing pearls!!!

colleyvillesooner
8/9/2007, 05:10 PM
Mother of GOD!
I ordered my pearl last night through Best Buy because it was about 20-30.00 cheaper to do so than ordering directly from AT&T. I wake up this morning and the AT&T website is advertising free f-ing pearls!!!

Return it to best buy.

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2007, 05:11 PM
Return it to best buy.
Wont' do any good. The offer for a free pearl is only good for 1 day. By the time I get the Pearl in the mail and can return it the offer will be over.

colleyvillesooner
8/9/2007, 05:24 PM
Can't you sign up for the free pearl today and return the best buy one when it gets here? Or did you sign up when you ordered the phone from best buy.

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2007, 05:26 PM
Can't you sign up for the free pearl today and return the best buy one when it gets here? Or did you sign up when you ordered the phone from best buy.
I signed up when I ordered it from Best Buy. :-\
I think my only hope is to take the receipt to AT&T and beg.

sanantoniosooner
8/9/2007, 07:13 PM
Your only hope is if the dude at AT&T finds you attractive.

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2007, 07:20 PM
Your only hope is if the dude at AT&T finds you attractive.

I'll wear a low cut shirt.

soonerboomer93
8/9/2007, 07:22 PM

um, why would you go to AT&T

you actual hope is to print out the special and take it to best buy

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2007, 07:25 PM
I was thinking I'd do both. My plan is to take the phone back to Best Buy when it comes in and get a refund and then go to AT&T and show them the receipt and see if they'll give me a free pearl.

Actually, I better do that in reverse order in case they don't.

soonerboomer93
8/9/2007, 08:36 PM
dude, you can't wait for when you get your phone, I'd just call best buy now...

GottaHavePride
8/9/2007, 08:37 PM
a blackberry pearl? Even the name is ghey. Try the AT&T 8525 or the Treo 750.

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2007, 08:44 PM
a blackberry pearl? Even the name is ghey. Try the AT&T 8525 or the Treo 750.
Too wide. I hate those smart phones that are the width of a 10 lane highway.
I don't like girth.

sanantoniosooner
8/9/2007, 08:48 PM
I don't like girth.
softball

proud gonzo
8/11/2007, 03:40 PM
http://www.schwimmerlegal.com/images/tamapxpearl.jpg

I'm just sayin'--this is what your phone shares its name with.

SicEmBaylor
8/11/2007, 03:52 PM
http://www.schwimmerlegal.com/images/tamapxpearl.jpg

I'm just sayin'--this is what your phone shares its name with.
Well, I did get the red blackberry.

SicEmBaylor
8/15/2007, 07:12 PM
Whoo! My Blackberry came in today. After using it just a few hours, I can't imagine why the hell I ever used any other phone.