PDA

View Full Version : Grommit and The Skunk

SoonerGirl06
8/5/2007, 10:30 AM
So we're sleeping soundly when all of a sudden Grommit the 1 year old Westie starts barking like crazy inside the house and wakes us up. Next thing we hear is the doggie door swinging back and forth as Grommit takes the barking outside. Needless to say our curiousity is peaked, but since the barking stopped almost as soon as he went outside, we figured it was nothing and started to go back to sleep when he heard him re-enter the doggie door.

A few seconds later, this strange aroma of came wafting through the house. We both say, almost simultaneously, "I smell coffee." Then a few seconds later, I remark "Now it smells like burnt rubber. Oh my God! What is that smell?!?!?" My beloved then replies in a most repulsed and p*ssed tone "It's a f-in skunk! Grommit got sprayed by a skunk!" We open the bedroom door and the most horrendous smell is now inside the house. Oh My Freakin' Gawd! It's sooo bad it makes my eyes water. I start to gag and try to hold my breath to no avail.

ph is PIZZED and I start to laugh which doesn't help matters (it was the Merlot that made me). I can't stop laughing and he doesn't find the humor in the fact that we've got a dog running around the house stinking to high heaven of skunk and now the whole entire house smells.

We're hoping that making a good ol' fashioned breakfast this morning will help resolve the smell in the house. The dog is a lost cause IMO. But if any of you guys have any suggestions on what we can do to get this damn smell out of here, we would greatly appreciate it.

Turd_Ferguson
8/5/2007, 10:40 AM
Here is a recipe I found to use on the dog. Not sure if it works or not, but I think it would be funny to see a skunk runnin around with a bouquet stickin out of it's ***.

Here is the secret recipe that WORKS. Mix the following:
1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1 teaspoon liquid soap or dish detergent
Mix these together and bathe ("shampoo" in or rub down) the spray victim thoroughly.
Be sure to use this mixture immediately after it is created, as it is unstable.
Rinse with tap water afterward, and repeat if necessary.
For spray in the eyes, flush with water as soon as possible. http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/images/skunksmellremover.jpg

Turd_Ferguson
8/5/2007, 10:45 AM
Okay, I just read that if you get some light colored coffee beans and rost them in a pan on the stove top, it will clear up the smell.

SoonerGirl06
8/5/2007, 01:16 PM
Here is a recipe I found to use on the dog. Not sure if it works or not, but I think it would be funny to see a skunk runnin around with a bouquet stickin out of it's ***.

Mix these together and bathe ("shampoo" in or rub down) the spray victim thoroughly.
For spray in the eyes, flush with water as soon as possible.

We just want to get rid of the smell not explode the dog!

soonerbrat
8/5/2007, 01:31 PM
i've heard washing in tomato juice will help.

phead903
8/5/2007, 02:14 PM
We just decided to cook every piece of bacon and sausage that we had in the house - so we still have the underlayer of skunk smell only now it's over shadowed with bacony goodness:D

Flagstaffsooner
8/5/2007, 02:24 PM
Baking soda on the carpets and everywhere. Trust me, the skunk is the state bird of Flagstaff.

SoonerGirl06
8/5/2007, 02:39 PM
Well, the dog's been washed. Just used plain ol' baking soda and then washed him really good with doggie shampoo.

The carpets are next... a sprinkle of baking soda all over and hopefully we will be rid of the smell once and for all.

Flagstaffsooner
8/5/2007, 02:46 PM
Well, the dog's been washed. Just used plain ol' baking soda and then washed him really good with doggie shampoo.

The carpets are next... a sprinkle of baking soda all over and hopefully we will be rid of the smell once and for all.At least you didn't get a whorn or pokey in your house. That stench is impossible to get rid of.:texan: :stunned:

SoonerGirl06
8/5/2007, 02:50 PM
We'd have to implode the house if that ever happened!

olevetonahill
8/5/2007, 02:51 PM
At least you didn't get a whorn or pokey in your house. That stench is impossible to get rid of.:texan: :stunned:
Just ask Mom .
Plus they Track **** in .

sooner_born_1960
8/5/2007, 02:53 PM
You really should look into eliminating the doggie door. Skunks or possums could use it too.

SicEmBaylor
8/5/2007, 03:03 PM
Wait, who is "we" this is disconcerting!

Flagstaffsooner
8/5/2007, 03:04 PM
In Nam, they just used to light one of Olevets beer farts to get rid of odors.

http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/66E58102-1AAE-42F6-8DA0-705284658804/0/lect11_4.jpg

Newbomb Turk
8/5/2007, 03:07 PM
In Nam, they just used to light one of Olevets beer farts to get rid of odors.

but it was his beer farts that were the cause the odors in the first place.

Flagstaffsooner
8/5/2007, 03:18 PM
but it was his beer farts that were the cause the odors in the first place.That's why they lit those suckers.

olevetonahill
8/5/2007, 03:18 PM
Rodney Dangerfield " I get no respect " :P

olevetonahill
8/5/2007, 03:19 PM
That's why they lit those suckers.
This side Towards Enemy :D

Flagstaffsooner
8/5/2007, 03:23 PM
This side Towards Enemy :DClaymores:D :D

olevetonahill
8/5/2007, 03:25 PM
Claymores:D :D
Everytime the other guys Pointed me towards the enemy I was worried I was gonna get shot in the *** !

SoonerGirl06
8/5/2007, 10:47 PM
For the record... Flag's suggestion of baking soda has NOT worked and skunk stink in the house TOTALLY sucks!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

soonerboomer93
8/5/2007, 11:07 PM
http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/pages/publicationD.jsp?publicationId=432

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/skunksmellremovalrid.htm

http://www.getridofthings.com/getridofskunksmell.html

google is your friend ;)

phead903
8/6/2007, 05:34 AM
Well, tonight, both of the dogs managed to get sprayed - so at 4:30 this morning, I'm up trying to air out the house, the dogs, everything all over again!

This is getting old real damn quick! Tonight, the doggie door is closed - but in talking with some neighbors, it seems we are having a real infestation of the pesky critters. Could have something to do with all the rain we have had pushing them out of the bottoms around here.

All I know is when I step outside this morning, it smelled just as bad outside as it did in my house!

sooner_born_1960
8/6/2007, 08:12 AM
Don't leave any food or water outside over night if you have skunk problems. That's what they're after.

crawfish
8/6/2007, 08:50 AM
Could have something to do with all the rain we have had pushing them out of the bottoms around here.

You have truly nailed the problem. :cool:

Ike
8/6/2007, 10:34 AM

For spray in the eyes, flush with water as soon as possible. http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/images/skunksmellremover.jpg

Last year my dog got sprayed from point blank range right in the face.

Trust me, this recipie works wonders. After the first bath with it, the skunk smell was reduced by a factor of about 10. it took about 5 repetitions of this mixture to get it completely off of her, but even so, the first bath in this solution made a VERY dramatic difference.

SoonerGirl06
8/6/2007, 07:22 PM
Well according to ph the dog has not only been bathed, but shaved as well.

Now the problem of getting the damn smell out of the house. ph won't listen to me and hire a professional to resolve the problem.

All I'm gonna say is this.... there ain't enough alcohol in the world to get me through another night of skunk stink, so it better be gone by the next time I visit.

;) :D

phead903
8/6/2007, 07:41 PM
Love me...love my skunk stink:D

SoonerGirl06
8/6/2007, 07:52 PM
Is that going to be included in the wedding vows?

:D :D

phead903
8/6/2007, 07:56 PM
Isn't it always? "...for better or worse, in stinkness or in health..";)

StuIsTheMan
8/6/2007, 08:00 PM
Mythbusters had something like this...
Tomato (http://www.mythbustersfanclub.com/mb2/content/view/66/27/) Juice
Cleaners (http://www.mythbustersfanclub.com/mb2/content/view/66/27/)
Beer (http://www.mythbustersfanclub.com/mb2/content/view/66/27/)

and the ol standby
****** (http://www.mythbustersfanclub.com/mb2/content/view/66/27/)

SoonerGirl06
8/6/2007, 08:01 PM
None of that stuff works. Trust us.

SoonerGirl06
8/6/2007, 08:02 PM
Isn't it always? "...for better or worse, in stinkness or in health..";)

I'm gonna have to talk to the preacher man about that one... ;)

olevetonahill
8/6/2007, 08:09 PM

I cant believe you Boy
Hawt as she is . She should Nevar smell anything but Roses

phead903
8/6/2007, 08:09 PM
If I don't see a noticeable difference in the dogs by tomorrow (my daughter got some kind of special skunk smell remover at PetCo that they have been doused with in addition to the haircut), I'm bathing them in the baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and dishwashing liquid stuff. Then once I'm sure the dogs are clean, I'll move on to the carpet and upholstery.

After all that, if the smell is still around, there may be an accidental fire....:D

olevetonahill
8/6/2007, 08:11 PM

Have I mentioned Im an Ordained Minister ?
Get with me we will write some Vows ;) :D :D :D :D

SoonerGirl06
8/6/2007, 08:12 PM
I cant believe you Boy
Hawt as she is . She should Nevar smell anything but Roses

Amen to that!

Don't worry Olevet... if he doesn't get this resolved, you're next on the list.

olevetonahill
8/6/2007, 08:30 PM
Amen to that!

Don't worry Olevet... if he doesn't get this resolved, you're next on the list.
:D :D :D :D :D

phead903
8/6/2007, 08:42 PM
Okay - just finished round 1 of the dog baths in the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish soap solution - after they dry off, I guess I'll have a better idea of how it worked...

SoonerGirl06
8/6/2007, 08:51 PM
I am quite sure your co-workers will greatly appreciate it if you get this matter resolved tonight. ;)

phead903
8/6/2007, 08:53 PM
I am quite sure your co-workers will greatly appreciate it if you get this matter resolved tonight. ;)

Well, it has cut down on requests for my attendance at meetings...Wonder if I could buy a bottle of the stuff?:D

SoonerGirl06
8/6/2007, 08:55 PM
Ahhh hell. Just wear a bunch of moth balls around your neck and really keep 'em guessing!

:D :D :D

phead903
8/7/2007, 06:24 PM
Fooled them last night - locked the doggie door. Heard them about 3:00 this morning barking at something, so I guess their black and white friend was prowling around outside.

BUT THEY COULDN'T GET OUT!! BWAHAHAHA!!!

Of course, one of them paid me back for locking the door by depositing a special something in my bedroom...

Going to wash them again tonight in the baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and dish soap mixture - hopefully, they will be odor free after a couple more baths....

Kimberlyz4OU
8/7/2007, 06:53 PM
so Phead - about that Westie, I just got one last Sunday - we are having a hard time getting it together. So, /Magic 8 Ball/ - will she ever get house trained? The breeder had paper trained her, gah.....

But, she is adorable - her name is Izzie - full name, Isabella Yesterday (long story)

phead903
8/7/2007, 07:05 PM
so Phead - about that Westie, I just got one last Sunday - we are having a hard time getting it together. So, /Magic 8 Ball/ - will she ever get house trained? The breeder had paper trained her, gah.....

But, she is adorable - her name is Izzie - full name, Isabella Yesterday (long story)

It took about 6 weeks to train Grommit - he is actually my daughter's dog - and we just kept taking him outside if he started to go to the bathroom in the house. Also took him out first thing in the morning and last thing at night - wouldn't let him back in the house until he did his business...Just keep after it - stay consistent- and buy lots of Resolve:D .

Good Luck!