PDA

View Full Version : Sooners/Huskers 1983

soonerspudman
8/5/2007, 12:49 AM
Came across this on you tube if you haven't seen it (two parts), a very memorable game. As I recall this was a down year for the Sooners with Nebraska at an all-time high and ranked #1. Sooners gave the Huskers a great game but came up short on the final play. This includes the Spencer Tillman rocket launch, one of my favorite sooner highlights of all time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSpP88HAjzc&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28cMRe0bvNc&mode=related&search=

CtheB
8/5/2007, 08:06 AM
We win that game if Brent Burks doesn't jump (false start) inside the Husker 10. We settle on a field goal rather than a TD.

King Crimson
8/5/2007, 08:19 AM
We win that game if Brent Burks doesn't jump (false start) inside the Husker 10. We settle on a field goal rather than a TD.

that's exactly what i was gonna post. i was there, 13 years old maybe. i think Turner Gill converted a handfull of 3rd and longs. he was a great one. maybe that was 81.

thanks for the link, spud.

King Crimson
8/5/2007, 08:24 AM
Tom Rathman was a beast. a lot of missed tackles on Rozier. though, i could run through some of those holes.

Danny Bradley is pretty underrated IMO. some great stuff, Buster Rhymes...and always a big D. Shep fan.

when was the last time you saw an Earl Johnson highlight? he was a tough back. Spencer is still wearing #34.

Sooner Schemer
8/5/2007, 01:11 PM
Could you tell if our 3rd down pass at the end was indeed tipped?
It sure looked like pass interference from the stands.

MiccoMacey
8/5/2007, 06:26 PM
I was wrestling in the Oklahoma Open at the Lloyd Noble that day. Had an opportunity to go to the game during their intermission before the finals and consolation finals (of which I was partaking, thankyouverymuch).

Opted to go home with my parents instead and regret that decision all the time.

King Crimson
8/5/2007, 07:09 PM
I was wrestling in the Oklahoma Open at the Lloyd Noble that day. Had an opportunity to go to the game during their intermission before the finals and consolation finals (of which I was partaking, thankyouverymuch).

Opted to go home with my parents instead and regret that decision all the time.

so that's why we lost? Micco in the stadium....puts the upstart Sooners over the top.

SOONER STEAKER
8/5/2007, 07:24 PM
I remember standing in the driving rain that day. Bryan Hall makes a great defensive stand down on the 1 yd line. Spencer's jump was from the 5 yd line and landed like 2 yds in the zone. If not for Burks jump, we role over NU.

MiccoMacey
8/5/2007, 08:06 PM
so that's why we lost? Micco in the stadium....puts the upstart Sooners over the top.

Fair...as long as I get to take credit for every win in which I've been in the stadium. ;)

XingTheRubicon
8/6/2007, 09:11 AM
Switzer was drawing up the the 2 point conversion before we jumped on 2nd and 2 from the 2. And we didn't settle for a field goal, OU turned it over on downs late in the 4th. It rained from the time we left our house to the time we got back home.

Jacie
8/6/2007, 10:05 AM
Driving rain, so hard at times it was difficult to see the action on the field and I was sitting on the East side, just a few rows up with a goalline view. The final possession was in the South endzone so I knew we didn't score from the crowd reaction. This was the best loss Sooner loss I have witnessed. Probably the only time I stood for an entire game in Norman.

TopDawg
8/6/2007, 10:20 AM
Who was the DB that tracked down Rozier and tripped him up inside the 10? I think he actually scorched the astroturf.

sooner94
8/6/2007, 10:58 AM
That was the first OU game I ever went to. I was 11 years old and was a Sooner fan before that game, but that game is when I REALLY became a Sooner fan.

It was cold and raining and we were in the South endzone. My uncle and I took a break from the rain and went under the stadium. When we were walking by the southeast ramp to the field, we didn't see any security guards, so we walked onto the field.

Two plays later, Spencer Tillman broke that run up the middle of the field, while we were standing next to the southeast corner of the field. After he got to the endzone he hugged the camera guy under the goal posts.

It was so loud and there was so much electricity in the stadium after that play. I will never forget that moment.

The way we played that day against a truly great Nebraska team was awesome. Boomer Sooner!

soonerspudman
8/6/2007, 12:49 PM
That was the first OU game I ever went to. I was 11 years old and was a Sooner fan before that game, but that game is when I REALLY became a Sooner fan.

It was cold and raining and we were in the South endzone. My uncle and I took a break from the rain and went under the stadium. When we were walking by the southeast ramp to the field, we didn't see any security guards, so we walked onto the field.

Two plays later, Spencer Tillman broke that run up the middle of the field, while we were standing next to the southeast corner of the field. After he got to the endzone he hugged the camera guy under the goal posts.

It was so loud and there was so much electricity in the stadium after that play. I will never forget that moment.

The way we played that day against a truly great Nebraska team was awesome. Boomer Sooner!

BTW this was the same Nebraska team that lost to Miami (and Smellybourbon) in the OB when Osborn could have won the title with a PAT but opted to go for two and lost. Glad he eventually got his two titles, classy guy.

We need to crush Miami.

tommie15
8/6/2007, 07:57 PM
BTW this was the same Nebraska team that lost to Miami (and Smellybourbon) in the OB when Osborn could have won the title with a PAT but opted to go for two and lost. Glad he eventually got his two titles, classy guy.

We need to crush Miami.

3 titles, Spud, 3! ;)

oumartin
8/6/2007, 08:20 PM
that game introduced me to spencer tillman. that launch was embedded into my cerabelum(sp)

sooneron
8/6/2007, 10:24 PM
I was there ... I was soaked ... and I'll never forget that game.

I also had a flask to keep me warm!

TopDawg
8/7/2007, 12:24 PM
Who was the DB that tracked down Rozier and tripped him up inside the 10? I think he actually scorched the astroturf.

So it looks like maybe it was Jim Rockford? Does that ring a bell for anyone?

Tear Down This Wall
8/7/2007, 12:30 PM
I miss players leaping into the end zone ala Billy Sims.

Also, if we'd beaten Washington in the Orange Bowl the following year, Danny Bradley could have had a national title ring. He was very underrated. Great player from back in the day.

Finally, that was our last season with Galen Hall as offensive coordinator. He was a great assistant. We stopped gapped in 1984 with Mack Brown, then won a national title in 1985 with Jim Donnan as OC. Barry had some great assistants.

soonerspudman
8/7/2007, 12:42 PM
3 titles, Spud, 3! ;)

My bad, missed '97 for some reason, thanks for the correction...