PDA

View Full Version : Observations on the new capitol dome

Okla-homey
8/4/2007, 06:56 PM
Here we go. Just returned from OKC. As the "Saturday Night Drunkytown" clickers know, a young colleague of mine was married there today.

While seated on a folding chair and listening to harp music, I looked above me to admire the thing. It's beautiful and all but I was shocked.

I must say, I know we're Okies and all, but having the list of sponsors in gigantic two foot tall letters around the inside rim is, well...tacky.

I mean, here we are, in the People's House, and you look up at this splendid edifice above the portraits of Jim Thorpe, Gov. Kerr and Sequoyah and what do you see? "Hobby Lobby, Inc.", "Quik Trip," "Haliburton," "Sonic Restaurants" etc. permanently ensconced all the way around.

Now, what would have been wrong with a nice discrete bronze plaque on the wall below stating "In appreciation to our corporate sponsors..."

Here's the kicker. Also up there: "The Stipe Family." If you don't know who Gene Stipe is, you ain't been paying attention to the news for the last few years.

SicEmBaylor
8/4/2007, 06:58 PM
Here we go. Just returned from OKC. As the "Saturday Night Drunkytown" clickers know, a young colleague of mine was married there today.

While seated on a folding chair and listening to harp music, I looked above me to admire the thing. It's beautiful and all but I was shocked.

I must say, I know we're Okies and all, but having the list of sponsors in gigantic two foot tall letters around the inside rim is, well...tacky.

I mean, here we are, in the People's House, and you look up at this splendid edifice above the portraits of Jim Thorpe, Gov. Kerr and Sequoyah and what do you see? "Hobby Lobby, Inc.", "Quik Trip," "Haliburton," "Sonic Restaurants" etc. permanently ensconced all the way around.

Now, what would have been wrong with a nice discrete bronze plaque on the wall below stating "In appreciation to our corporate sponsors..."

Here's the kicker. Also up there: "The Stipe Family." If you don't know who Gene Stipe is, you ain't been paying attention to the news for the last few years.

Those were my thoughts precisely when I first saw the dome.

King Crimson
8/4/2007, 07:02 PM
welcome to the free market.

reevie
8/4/2007, 07:02 PM
Hey now, Keating had to find a way to fund his pet legacy project without using tax-payer dollars.

Ok, ok....at least to minimize using tax-payer dollars.

Flagstaffsooner
8/4/2007, 07:04 PM
Stipe should be on a prison building.

bluedogok
8/4/2007, 07:34 PM
Isn't he is a McAlester native? Wouldn't that be so appropriate?

SicEmBaylor
8/4/2007, 07:53 PM
Isn't he is a McAlester native? Wouldn't that be so appropriate?
He put up a big sign going into McAlester with his face on it that reads, "McAlester -- Home of Gene Stipe"

bluedogok
8/4/2007, 08:29 PM
They should just put it on the signs warning about hitchhikers.....

1stTimeCaller
8/4/2007, 08:51 PM
Who says that 'big money' runs our government?

I'm all for just about any capital expenditure when it comes to construction but damn, does our government work any better with a dome? Every nickel poured into that project by the taxpayers would have been better served making I-40 not feel like a ride at Frontier City.

Gene Stipe. He stole thousands of his constituients mineral rights over his term as an elected official. I would feel sorry for the most depressed area of the state but they are the dumb asses that kept electing him.

Flagstaffsooner
8/4/2007, 08:57 PM
Gene Stipe. He stole thousands of his constituients mineral rights over his term as an elected official. I would feel sorry for the most depressed area of the state but they are the dumb asses that kept electing him.

You callin' Eastern Oklahomans dumb!?

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/hardpeg/images/hillbillies.jpg

proud gonzo
8/4/2007, 10:35 PM
Here's the kicker. Also up there: "The Stipe Family." If you don't know who Gene Stipe is, you ain't been paying attention to the news for the last few years.yeah, I don't watch the news. Is he related to this guy?

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/03/30/michaelstipe_wideweb__430x310.jpg

royalfan5
8/4/2007, 11:21 PM
Phallic State Capitols are way cooler than domes.

Newbomb Turk
8/4/2007, 11:27 PM
Phallic State Capitols are way cooler than domes.

was that one of your catch lines as a tourism employee?

royalfan5
8/4/2007, 11:30 PM
was that one of your catch lines as a tourism employee?
We are quite proud of the Penis of the Prairie.

King Crimson
8/4/2007, 11:32 PM
BS your quarter still sucks.

Newbomb Turk
8/4/2007, 11:35 PM

...big time.

royalfan5
8/4/2007, 11:39 PM
Yes, Chimney Rock does suck, but the capitol is the penis of the prairie not the rock.

Harry Beanbag
8/5/2007, 02:09 AM
Money is the only motivation of politicians, it's perfect.