PDA

View Full Version : Games that have truly angered you?

Funky G
8/4/2007, 11:51 AM
My 5:

1. Oregon last year. Outrageous call(s) cost the game.
2. Nebraska in '78. Watched at a Husker's house. This one cost us an MNC.
3. Texas '84. See Oregon last year.
4. Arkansas in '78 Orange Bowl. Cost another title and I was watching in a Hog's house.
5. Nebraska in '01. Huskers went on to get hammered by Colorado and Miami.

Thoughts?

OKC-SLC
8/4/2007, 12:02 PM
oregon last year
first half of last year's fiesta bowl (pathetic effort, i thought, by our o-line)
tgowwdns
tx 1984

Edmond Sooner
8/4/2007, 12:05 PM
My 5:

4. Arkansas in '78 Orange Bowl. Cost another title and I was watching in a Hog's house.

Thoughts?

Recalling the Horn '84 game still makes me want to mainline Caduet, but in terms of sheer long-simmering rage the theft in Oregon edges even that. The other three on your list are only mild irritants/disappointments because they were, by and large, legitimate defeats. Texas '84 and Oregon last year most certainly were not. Although, to be honest, I don't really recall Nebraska in '78.

King Crimson
8/4/2007, 12:07 PM
Nebraska 78. Billy should have won the Heisman twice. we dominate NU in the Orange Bowl.

they score in the last minute to make it a 2 TD game.

SoonerBOI
8/4/2007, 12:08 PM
Oregon last year. For some reason, I had an erie feeling it will not end well.

soonerloyal
8/4/2007, 12:18 PM
oregon last year
first half of last year's fiesta bowl (pathetic effort, i thought, by our o-line)
tgowwdns
tx 1984

I do get smoked when the outcome of games hinge on bad calls, although I'd prefer to be so in the lead that even referees can't screw it up. I was angry when it happened, but I can look back now and just say, "Yeah, that sucked."

In reference to "TGOWWDNS", though...I've decided to take good advice from Dumbledore & Hermione. "Fear of the name only increases the fear of the thing itself". From now on, although the loss to USC in 2004 hurt - I will say the name. And look forward to the day we play them again, and beat them till their dogs bleed.

HTown77095
8/4/2007, 12:21 PM
Oregon last year and tech the year before.

sooner518
8/4/2007, 01:00 PM
Tech the year before. Im sure my neighbors thought I was insane. Screaming profanities in utter disbelief that they gave them the 1st down on that tipped pass with about 30 seconds left.

Oregon would have been really bad, but I was at the game and had no idea just how bad we got jobbed by the refs until later that night at the hotel. NEedless to say, I was pretty ****ed at that point, but nothing compares to feeling utterly screwed in the actual heat of the moment

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/4/2007, 01:03 PM
Also, Tx Tech in Lubbock year before last, and the infamous "Game of the Century" 1971, against nebbish, where the refs blew at least 4-5 calls, easily costing us the game, and a likely NC...IN NORMAN!

bstuff1979
8/4/2007, 01:53 PM
of the games that I've been to:

-'96 Tulsa @ OU (in particular, a 99yd td pass to Wes Caswell -i think that's his name, but I know that it was 99yd's and very irritating)

-'90 OU texas (missed field goal at the last second results in 14-13 loss)

-'05 university of spoiled children @ Notre Dame (not only was the game decided on a play that is not legal -you can't push a player forward to advance the ball- the usc coaching staff behaved like children after the game. they promptly went over to the nd student section and proceeded to taunt. it was nausiating).

'92 u.spoiled children @ OU (see above in general. don't remember the coaches being all that bad, but the players threw ice across the sidelines and at fans)

SteelClip49
8/4/2007, 02:06 PM
Every loss in the Drunkenburger season, Blake era and the 1994 Copper Bowl.

85Sooner
8/4/2007, 02:13 PM
oregon last year
tgowwdns
tx 1984

Gotta go with you on this one. I'll add the BXIICCG against kansas state.
we didn't even show up.

zeke
8/4/2007, 02:34 PM
Big 12 Championship vs K-State

The year that we played Miami when Testraverdy (spelling?) was Miami's QB. I always felt that if we had ever been able to knock snot from his butt, even if it cost 15yds, he would have layed down.

Bad calls @ Texas Tech & Oregon were really bad, but, neither of those teams should have been able to stay close enough to make them games where a bad call or two made the difference.

SoonerStormchaser
8/4/2007, 02:36 PM
Oregon...it made me completely erase that debacle in Lubbock cause it was much more blatant.

German Corner
8/4/2007, 02:43 PM
miami cocaines 1986 there

with band playing drums while the two teams are fighting.

band, especially at college level, does'nt do anything unless ordered by the

band director who's payed by the school. drums playing during the fight.

we chose holieway instead of Troy Aikman and won one title instead of three

and that game was the worst of the three with them.

mad, sick, upset, disgusted, mad and mad. that was the day option football

on a high level died.

Coach Stoops, impress all of us by beating miami, texas, osu and pray that

we can get boise state in here next year. we got beat by the team with

BLUE GRASS.

time to impress people again and it starts with miami.

AlabamaSooner
8/4/2007, 03:03 PM
I think the Texas Tech and Oregon games are pretty clear. Outside of that, I think the 2001 Nebraska game my freshman year. We were all so spoiled at that point and having to swallow a loss was pretty dang tough. Had to go throw the football around for quite a while on the Walker-Adams mall after that one to blow off some steam. If only that pass hadn't have been underthrown.

101sooner
8/4/2007, 03:15 PM
'84 Texas. We got screwed at least as bad as we did against Oregon, and it was against the 'Horns.

soonerinabilene
8/4/2007, 03:34 PM
The second half of last years texas game. I could not believe we came out that pathetic.

Sooner24
8/4/2007, 03:50 PM
'84 Texas. We got screwed at least as bad as we did against Oregon, and it was against the 'Horns.

There were three bad calls in the last Texas drive alone. '84 Texas stands head and shoulders above any OU football game I have ever been too.

Ground_Attack
8/4/2007, 04:04 PM
Oklahoma State in 2001. 16-13

We had one loss and a trip to the conference title game on the line and lost to a 3-7 OSU team AT HOME. They had no business being within 30 points of us.

I put a fist through the wall at the conclusion of that game.

AlbqSooner
8/4/2007, 05:26 PM
The OU games above are major frustrations for me as well. The other game that really angered me was in approx 1996. I had bet a few games that week and as I looked over the list I decided to combine all the teams, take a flyer and bet a 10 team parlay for $5. ( Yeah I know how dumb a bet it is but WTF)
Late Saturday afternoon I was watching Notre Dame play someone I do not recall. I had won 9 of 10 and the only game in question was the Friggin Irish. I had ND minus 3. About 1:10 remaining. ND had the ball on their own 20 at 1st and 10. The other team had no timeouts remaining. ND was up by 4. Take a knee 3 times and I win a chunk of change. Their QB took the snap in the shotgun, turned and sprinted into the endzone behind him and took a knee. ND won by 2. I will NEVER bet a sporting event involving the domearses again, regardless of the spread.

Wishboned
8/4/2007, 06:49 PM
28-24 loss to USC in 1981.

OKC-SLC
8/4/2007, 07:32 PM
most of the games that have angered me seem to involve times where it felt like I, as a fan, cared more about winning that game than the team did as reflected by their effort. Hence the first half of Fiesta last year, 2nd half of TX last year, all Blake and Poopinburger, the OSU game alluded to by Ground Attack...

Refs blowing games are infuriating for other reasons, but with those you felt like you and the team got screwed together. I don't know how to explain it, but I have a lot of pride for the school I grew up a fan of and at which I spent 8 years as a student. And when the players don't seem (I said 'seem') to care, it hurts more than when the refs screw us all in one boat.

SoonerShark
8/4/2007, 09:59 PM
I would be frustrated for our games that were due to lack of effort or our coaches' failures. I am only angry at the games affected by the refs, which increasingly in light of the NBA ref's recent crimes may have been affected by a criminal intent rather than incompetence. I am angry about '06 Oregon since they were awarded the possession of the ball when we recovered the football, and they never once had it in their possession. Tech in '05 was horrid since Tech was awarded a first down for going only nine of 10 yards. '84 Texas was a blatant non-call where physical evidence of the OU player's sliding pathway showed that he made the interception several yards in the field of play and he was not out of bounds. '71 Nebraska's bad call was when Jeff Kinney fumbled to the OU player on the go ahead touchdown and the ref called him down prior to the fumble though his knee was a foot off of the ground when he fumbled. No other blatant rip-off comes to mind right now. The previous games could have been the officials' incompetence or a criminal act by an official.

72 Colorado was frustrating as we slid all over the field for our only loss in a 3-1/2 year period until 75 KU. 75 and 84 Kansas were frustrating since we were badly beaten by a team that should not have been able to take the field with us. 78 and 01 Nebraska were frustrating due to the fumble in the former and the lack of execution in the latter. 82 West Virginia comes to mind. 03 KSU was frustrating. 07 Boise State was frustrating. 76, 01 and 02 LosuR were frustrating. 02 A&M was us playing defense like we did against 05 and USC and its Heisman artillery. 03 LSU was frustrating. Our lack of execution and the ref failing to see the pass to AD was a pass and not a lateral though the ball went 1-1/2 yards upfield from Thompson's throwing point against UT was frustrating in 06. 99 UT and Notre Dame and Tech were frustrating since we led big early. 99 Mississippi was embarrassing and frustrating since they should not have been in a position to beat us by a late field goal.

BudSooner
8/4/2007, 11:29 PM
Texas Tech in Lubbock was pretty awful.
LSU-don't want to relive that feeling again.
USC-damn, I said I didn't want to relive that feeling again.
Boise-oh hell, a loss on a schoolyard bull**** play.....wtf?
Tulsa '96-I was at work and couldn't believe the touchdown I just heard(it was to Caswell btw)
Oregon last year, this should have been a game where we put them away and hit the cruise control but too many mistakes put the game in the damn refs hands....again.

On the other hand there are games that bring so much joy-
Miami getting beaten by North Carolina, NC's kicker was bad ***!
USC getting beaten by Oregon State-I was yelling at the top of my lungs cheering, I thought my wife was going to throttle me for acting like an idiot. :D
OU vs Texas 2000-my boss had his radio tuned into this game, he's a big Horns fan and the look on his face was P R I C E L E S S!!!
OU vs K State
OU vs Nebraska-got to watch this at work in OKC, we had probably 25 tv's in the store and every one of them had a group of men standing around yelling at them...truly the greatest day as a Sooner fan!!!

47straight
8/5/2007, 12:52 AM
Michigan laying down and not taking care of business against either Usuck in 2003 or Texass in 2004 in the rose bowl. It's like they don't even try. And they're allowed to be in the hallowed grounds of the rose bowl, while we're the ones the pac-10 doesn't want there?

Kingwoodboomer
8/5/2007, 01:25 AM
A & M game in 2002 where it cost OU their BCS hopes. I was at the game with an aggie friend, and sitting in aggie section....BRUTAL....next year was sweet though took the same aggie buddy to the 77-0 game in Norman

NorthernIowaSooner
8/5/2007, 03:17 AM
A & M game in 2002 where it cost OU their BCS hopes. I was at the game with an aggie friend, and sitting in aggie section....BRUTAL....next year was sweet though took the same aggie buddy to the 77-0 game in Norman

i agree took a lot more phone calls and texts from that game then any other in recent memory

King Crimson
8/5/2007, 07:53 AM
OU vs Texas 2000-my boss had his radio tuned into this game, he's a big Horns fan and the look on his face was P R I C E L E S S!!!

for a while, the 2000 game was archived and available on-line, to listen to the UT radio broadcast. i listened to it a few times that off-season. talk about hilarious. the whole shebang, the pregame and homer stuff....they were favored and giving each other hummers pre-game. TExas Fight in the background. etc.

Heupel converts that first 3rd and long for a TD, and then the floodgates open. the UT radio guys are clearly having a hard time calling the game by the mid second quarter. some quality entertainment.

wishbonesooner
8/5/2007, 09:03 AM
The OSU games in 01 and '02. We had no business losing in Norman, and I thought our defensive coaches blew the 02 game in Stoolwater.

King Crimson
8/5/2007, 09:10 AM
listening to that 01 game on the radio was a real low point in my life.

it's not like i wanted to see it, the radio just intensified the frustration. but the 01 MO of throwing the dump screen on 3rd and 8 was killing me by mid-season. let Hybl throw the ball down the field. we had a great D, but the win with D was killing us.

i hope this year isn't like that. serious.

OL is much better than 01, but i'm afraid we will go so conservative on O it will cost us against Miami or UT.

PLaw
8/5/2007, 09:50 AM
My 5:

Thoughts?

1. Kansas '75
2. OB Arkansas '78
3. Whorns '84
4. Nebraska '97 and '98
5. OSU '01 and '02
6. Big XII KSU '03
7. OB USC '05

. . . and any other game where the opponent hung half a hundred on us, we turned the ball over more than four times, or the officials blatantly missed the obvious.

BOOMER
PLAW

King Crimson
8/5/2007, 09:51 AM
28-24 loss to USC in 1981.

that's a good one.

LittleWingSooner
8/5/2007, 10:08 AM
Just about every game in 2005. Probably the Tech game the most.

MyT Oklahoma
8/5/2007, 12:49 PM
Of the games that I've actually been to? The 1989 OU/Texas game as UT drove the length of the field on their last possession to beat us with their passing game. Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

The 1980 OU/Stanford game (in which I basically had the run of the stadium after helping Rich Clarkson transport some photo murals for the coach's offices). However, I got to meet Switzer before and after the game and I also got to go into the locker room following the game to observe that no one hurts more after a loss than our coaches and players.

Of the games I've only watched on TV on listened to on the radio? '71 OU/Nebraska because it was a classic and we could have won; '73 OU/USC because we once again could have won; "75 OU/KU because we stunk; '78 OU/Arkansas because we once again stunk; '78 OU/Nebraska (we lost it fair and square because the refs truly blew Kelly Phelps fumble big time and I get so tired of some people always blaming Billy Sims' fumbles); '84 OU/Texas because we so got robbed; '85 OU/Miami; '86' OU/Miami; '88 OU/Miami (Orange Bowl); '03 OU/KSU because we because we got outplayed and outcoached (happens though); '04 OU/LSU because we once again got outplayed and outcoached; '05 OU/USC because we not only stunk but I think some of our players just gave up; '06 OU/Oregon because we got ducked; and the '07 OU/Boise State Fiesta Bowl game because we got outplayed and outcoached.

However, in spite of all of the above I still wouldn't trade being at Arrowhead for the '06 OU/Nebraska game with my daughter. Watching our boys win the Big 12 Championship after all they went through last year and helping to send 45,000+ Cornhusker fans home frozen stiff after their loss was truly priceless.

goingoneight
8/5/2007, 05:14 PM
I'll take any game we're not dominating in for $300, Alex.

olevetonahill
8/5/2007, 05:47 PM
The Only game that has Evar really Pizzed me off was the Usuc OB .
We had em on the ropes . Dont believe me , Watch the 1st 1/4 again . Pete an Matt where looking thundar struck till Bradly Muffed that punt return.
It let them get the Mo and they didnt look back
:mad: :mad: :mad:
After the Game I put My fist thru a cabnit Door and the wall.
We had em against the ropes and then let off !

MiccoMacey
8/5/2007, 06:21 PM
2003 Alabama up until Renaldo made one of my all-time favorite plays.

First time I had all the coaches together at my house. Trying to make a nice impression on them, doing all the hosting duties.

Negated by some extreme curse words at the TV. I felt like an idiot, and I could tell they were thinking I was immature.

I never have since, nor will I ever again get that frustrated towards a football game.

King Crimson
8/5/2007, 06:25 PM
"we lost it fair and square because the refs blew it...."

huh?

MiccoMacey
8/5/2007, 06:30 PM
And I know everyone's listing the 2005 TTechand the Oregon game last year, but as egregious a call as those were, I was never really miffed at either game.

Maybe more so against Tech since we had at least a possible chance to still win the game against Oregon. And because at that time I wasn't aware the ball was never recovered by a Duck player.

LittleWingSooner
8/5/2007, 08:06 PM
2003 Alabama up until Renaldo made one of my all-time favorite plays.

First time I had all the coaches together at my house. Trying to make a nice impression on them, doing all the hosting duties.

Negated by some extreme curse words at the TV. I felt like an idiot, and I could tell they were thinking I was immature.

I never have since, nor will I ever again get that frustrated towards a football game.

2002 Alabama game. 2003 Bama game was when Mike Thompson made a fake punt play and then Jason White threw a TD to Jones that ended the game.

JohnnyMack
8/5/2007, 08:07 PM
TCU in 1996 and TCU in 2005.

MyT Oklahoma
8/6/2007, 06:14 PM
"we lost it fair and square because the refs blew it...."

huh?

Cute but try using the whole quote next time instead of cutting and pasting just what you want it to say.

Also try watching the re-run of that game in which Kelly Phelps was absolutely leveled on a kickoff return at our 10 yard line (he was knocked unconscious) the ball went up in the air and was recovered by Nebraska but the refs said it wasn't a fumble. Had the refs not blown that call Nebraska would have gone up 24 to 14 and Billy Sims' infamous fumble at Nebraska's 3 yard line wouldn't have meant squidly.

85sooners
9/1/2007, 10:43 PM
orgeon:hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

ouwasp
9/2/2007, 12:28 AM
All of the mentioned games have angered/disheartened me...

But here's one nobody's mentioned...ISU in either '92 or 93, somewhere in there...

At Norman, Gibbs was doing his usual mannequin impression on the sideline. OU has to settle for a FG late when a TD would have sealed it. Then ISU goes empty set and runs the qb draw multiple times to methodically march down the field to win. Their qb looked like he was an Olympic walk/runner...what's worse, EVERYBODY in the stadium knew what was coming.......and yet it worked anyway :mad:

mhackl
9/2/2007, 04:11 AM
for a while, the 2000 game was archived and available on-line, to listen to the UT radio broadcast. i listened to it a few times that off-season. talk about hilarious. the whole shebang, the pregame and homer stuff....they were favored and giving each other hummers pre-game. TExas Fight in the background. etc.

Heupel converts that first 3rd and long for a TD, and then the floodgates open. the UT radio guys are clearly having a hard time calling the game by the mid second quarter. some quality entertainment.

I was living in Dallas at the time and it was most gratifying to hear AM 1310 "The Ticket" add Mack Brown's apology to the entire state of Texas to their station identification. It played practically every fifteen minutes. I wish I had both his apology and Bobby Bowden's conciliatory speech from after the 2000 NC game on MP3.

TXBOOMER
9/2/2007, 08:30 AM
84texASS...was every bit as bad if not worse than the Pac 10 Oregon BS from last year.