PDA

View Full Version : ZZ Top Concert

SteelClip49
8/4/2007, 02:28 AM
It was my first concert and it was a blast but whatever people say to you and what is on the ticket doesn't mean squat. The gate was supposed to open at 4 and it opened up at 5. It wouldn't have been a big deal if it wasn't hot like it was. My friend and I were out there for 3 hours prior so we could hurry down to the front and lean up against the rail behind the VIP section. We literally had the best spot at the ampitheater; dead front center even with the center of the stage. Whitestarr was awesome (they will also open up for Alice Cooper in Tulsa on the 14th); Stray Cats really rocked with their style; The Pretenders I wasn't all that impressed with but they did well and of course the main event. I was falling asleep almost through ZZ Top until they started playing their familiar stuff and man was it intense. Best fun I had in ages. I know this threat is worthless without pics but the majority of the people there had to be 100 percent redneck because of the way they dressed and just appeared in general. One woman has a water jug which was an empty plastic Folger's container. It was smart but still made me laugh. One guy brought his own roll of toilet paper for the port-a-potty. There were plenty of outlandish sites but for the most part it was very entertaining and awesome. Now I must rest up and get ready for Alice Cooper in Tulsa.

KsSooner
8/4/2007, 10:30 AM
ZZ Top was my first concert too, in 1974 at the Tulsa Fairgrounds.

crawfish
8/4/2007, 10:31 AM
I saw 'em in the 80's during the Eliminator tour at Lloyd Noble. An awesome show. SRV was the opener...

VeeJay
8/4/2007, 10:49 AM
ZZ Top was my first concert, too. In 1977. I think the ticket was $6.

OUDoc
8/4/2007, 10:50 AM
I saw 'em in the 80's during the Eliminator tour at Lloyd Noble. An awesome show. SRV was the opener...
I think that's the show I saw, but for the life of me don't remember SRV as the opener! :eek:
Is it possible I saw SRV in concert and didn't know it?

Turd_Ferguson
8/4/2007, 11:03 AM
Never got to see them in concert, but I did have the ZZ top key chain when I was in high school.

King Crimson
8/4/2007, 11:05 AM
ZZ Top was my first concert, too. In 1977. I think the ticket was $6.

i would have loved to see them in 77. jesus just left chicago/waiting for the bus, mexican blackbird ....

no real love for the MTV stuff.

VeeJay
8/4/2007, 11:22 AM
i would have loved to see them in 77. jesus just left chicago/waiting for the bus, mexican blackbird ....

no real love for the MTV stuff.

The '77 show followed the release of "Tejas." It was when they had some sense of normalcy about them, before the Beard Era.

I think they have stayed true to their roots; when MTV came about they had to invent something for themselves to stay on the radar.

bluedogok
8/4/2007, 11:26 AM

I think that's the show I saw, but for the life of me don't remember SRV as the opener! :eek:
I had floor seats/backstage pass from the Warner Bros. rep for that show (I worked at Sound Warehouse at the time), I don't remember SRV opening the ZZ Top show either. SRV did open in 1984 for Huey Lewis and The News on the Sports tour at the Zoo Amphitheater. The ZZ Top show was the third in three nights in a row, Linoel Richie at The Myriad, Genesis at LNC and ZZ Top the next night.

OUBabe
8/4/2007, 11:29 AM
I had a VIP pass for it last night and actually went all the way up there...only to be told someone had a headache and had to go home...yes, I still ****ed off (and guess who won't be going with me to Kansas tonight)

crawfish
8/4/2007, 11:39 AM

Sorry, got my concerts mixed up...

SRV opened for the Moody Blues the year earlier. :O

crawfish
8/4/2007, 11:42 AM
Come to think of it, it might have been Night Ranger that opened up for 'em...

SRV was awesome, by the way. I had no idea who he was at the time (but I'd heard "Pride & Joy" on the radio. His guitar amp was turned up so loud you couldn't hear his voice...

tulsaoilerfan
8/4/2007, 11:59 AM
I saw ZZ with Skynyrd in Tulsa back around 99 or so; the music was good, but the stage show was absolutely nothing and that was a disappointment

SteelClip49
8/4/2007, 02:19 PM
This probably tells you that I am young, dumb and just completely out of whack..... but my friend and I were surrounded by a lot of Mary Jane's. I figured with security as tight as it is, they would have confiscated the stuff. Then I realized if that would have been the case, the crowd would have been less than a thousand. Security said NO LAWN CHAIRS, DRINKS AND KNIVES. I was just hoping no one would shoot me when I was in the very front. The crowd just went bazerk when Legrunge (sp) was played and Tush and at the beginning of their "way back" segment with P***l N******e. Oh my god what a rush it was. I bet a lot of you that experienced the 70s sure knew what REAL fun was like. All I did was get a taste of what I thought it was like back in the 60s and 70s. Only thing I do not miss was waiting 3 hours in that heat and freakin sun just for the damn gate to open.

StoopTroup
8/4/2007, 03:53 PM
Concerts these days blow IMO....

Gimme the old days when you could go to a General Admission WHO Concert...;)