PDA

View Full Version : sports you've played

usmc-sooner
8/3/2007, 08:38 PM
Football I was ok--HS and a little bit in the USMC
Wrestling I was fairly decent--got to OU found out I wasn't good enough for DI
Rodeo I made it to the PRCA as a Saddle Bronc rider, and didn't do a darn thing once I got there
Boxing I never got beat but I never fought anyone worth a crap

I wish I would have gotten into golf a lot younger. I'm picking the game up now in my 30's.

royalfan5
8/3/2007, 08:50 PM
I lettered in Football, basketball, and track in high school. There has been some misc. baseball and softball at times as well. I also play golf at a low level from time to time.

StoopTroup
8/3/2007, 08:55 PM
Football, basketball, tennis, Track n Field...

I got pretty good on the squash court but never played for anything other than who bought the doobie for the week. :D

Ike
8/3/2007, 09:55 PM
I played Baseball, soccer, basketball and tennis up till about the third grade when I realized I stunk at soccer, basketball and tennis.

Baseball, lettered 3 times in HS, won a state championship (and a 14 and under nat'l championship before HS), Made all-state, used it to pay for my bachelors...left college with 4 school records...all of which have been broken now.

usmc-sooner
8/3/2007, 09:56 PM
I played Baseball, soccer, basketball and tennis up till about the third grade when I realized I stunk at soccer, basketball and tennis.

Baseball, lettered 3 times in HS, won a state championship (and a 14 and under nat'l championship before HS), Made all-state, used it to pay for my bachelors...left college with 4 school records...all of which have been broken now.

dayum!!! WTG IKE

Impressive

Ike
8/3/2007, 10:00 PM
dayum!!! WTG IKE

Impressive

Thanks. I still play baseball in a weekend league up here. I tried softball, but they frowned on me tryin to gas people up from the mound...:mad:

Suerreal
8/3/2007, 10:49 PM
Lettered three years at OU for swimming. Don't look for my name in any record books. I swam in the pre-Title IX era, as a walk on (or is it dive in for swimming) and only lettered by swimming such events as 200 butterfly, 200 breaststroke, and 400 IM that no one else wanted to.

I still wear my 1st year letter ring.

oklaclarinet
8/3/2007, 11:31 PM
As a kid I took up the usual baseball and soccer. I even took a year of tennis lessons. By the time I got to junior high I realized that competitive sports weren't really my thing, though I did join a basketball community league in high school for fun. Two years, four career points.

KC//CRIMSON
8/3/2007, 11:39 PM
Football in High School. Played soccer from the age of nine to twenty seven. Was on three Oklahoma state champ soccer teams.

olevetonahill
8/3/2007, 11:43 PM
Football , Baseball in high school . Then Hide and seek with Charlie ! :(

HoserSooner
8/3/2007, 11:58 PM
One year of soccer (hated it).
7 years of hockey.
9 years of baseball.
Elementary school basketball.

High-school golf team in grade 9.
High-school football team for 4 years (wasn't awesome, but I started each year at OLB).

7 years of co-ed mixed slo pitch now.

reevie
8/4/2007, 08:32 AM
I played soccer off and on through the 7th grade then transitioned to a real sport and played baseball in high school.

Mjcpr
8/4/2007, 08:58 AM
Football in High School. Played soccer from the age of nine to twenty seven. Was on three Oklahoma state champ soccer teams.

Oklahoma state sucks, aggy!! :mad:

IronSooner
8/4/2007, 10:19 AM
Basketball for 1 year in elementary
Tae Kwon Do for 2 years in middle school
Track for 1 year in middle school
Baseball for 8 years through frosh year of HS
Football for 5 years, 4 in HS, made playoffs

VeeJay
8/4/2007, 10:36 AM
Competitive - baseball and basketball, in HS

For fun, tennis (but not in a long time), golf.

Golf is less of a sport for me than an excuse to swill some beers and have some laughs.

King Crimson
8/4/2007, 11:10 AM
nothing like a back inna day thread.

i played em all like any good Okie kid. that's just what you did. my friends from Colorado just don't get that...when you can go snowboarding.

i got serious about golf in 10th grade and played hoops and baseball after that.

but, really it was all about golf.

OUBabe
8/4/2007, 11:27 AM
lettered in track in HS....made it to All Germany final :)

CUinNC
8/4/2007, 12:21 PM
Football from when I was a 9th grader, till 22 years old...long time

then an 8 year break & then Football with my first Son, until this year, my last with 2nd Son....

they both played into college too, but now are glad it's over...after a while it get's old........if ya know you aren't going on....

One thing though...between us 3 - there are no regrets, no sir....and Football is always capitalized:D

85Sooner
8/4/2007, 12:40 PM
basketball 1 yr
baseball 8yr pitch, ss, and first base
Ice Hockey 9 yrs 1 yr RW and the rest at Goaltender
HS football Trainer 2 yrs (82 4A State Champions)
Track and field 2 yrs (field events)

def_lazer_fc
8/4/2007, 02:33 PM
I played soccer off and on through the 7th grade then transitioned to a real sport and played baseball in high school.
by real sport, do you just mean something that didn't involve as much work? ;)

KsSooner
8/4/2007, 03:01 PM
Football, basketball, baseball in high school
Baseball in juco
Softball until body could not keep up with mind
Now it's golf

SicEmBaylor
8/4/2007, 03:09 PM
Swimming from 2nd-12th grade.
Now I just play golf from time to time.

Frozen Sooner
8/4/2007, 03:13 PM
Football (very briefly)
Wrestling (lettered freshman and sophomore years, tore up my knee three weeks into junior year, did not participate senior year. Invited to walk on at OU, made it through a couple practices.)
Water Polo

Howzit
8/4/2007, 04:34 PM
football/baseball/wrestling/track/swimming through the 9th grade
swimming was where i had the best chance of a scholarship so I dropped the others...then found partying as a junior... :rolleyes:

Took up triathlon in my 30's, but I'm getting too damned old and I'm just not driven enough to train in the manner it requires.

Methinks I'm pretty much in maintenance mode from here on out...

ChickSoonerFan
8/4/2007, 06:45 PM
I played basketball through 8th grade. I tried in 9th grade but there were other girls who were still getting taller, not me, I stopped right there at 5'3".

and I played softball for one day. long story.

Howzit
8/5/2007, 09:16 AM
I played basketball through 8th grade. I tried in 9th grade but there were other girls who were still getting taller, not me, I stopped right there at 5'3".

If by 5'3" you mean 5'2" I agree.

;)

King Crimson
8/5/2007, 09:24 AM
howzit is proving to an insensitive and needlessly pompous champion of external hard drives.

no smilie.

jk the sooner fan
8/5/2007, 09:51 AM
baseball, football, soccer

a little golf here and there, but nothing organized......the only youth tournament i ever played in was at brookhaven country club here in dallas....my dad was a member and signed me up.....i was the D player in a foursome including Scott Verplank......when i 3 putted the first green, he went off on me as if i had just killed his mother

King Crimson
8/5/2007, 09:59 AM
i was joking about Howzit, he has been a gracious champion in the hard drive derby.

i'm just bitter in defeat.

he does keep dead puppies in his fridge, though.

King Crimson
8/5/2007, 10:02 AM
baseball, football, soccer

a little golf here and there, but nothing organized......the only youth tournament i ever played in was at brookhaven country club here in dallas....my dad was a member and signed me up.....i was the D player in a foursome including Scott Verplank......when i 3 putted the first green, he went off on me as if i had just killed his mother

really? i've known Scotty (somewhat) for about 20 years. he's a decent guy. he's a little pompous but all those guys are.

jk the sooner fan
8/5/2007, 10:03 AM
well, we were 13 or so at the time, i'm sure as skilled as he was at that age, it would stand to reason he'd be a little cocky

Howzit
8/5/2007, 11:50 AM
howzit is proving to an insensitive and needlessly pompous champion of external hard drives.

no smilie.

if you want me to comprende you're gonna have to scale back the number of syallables.

:D

Scott D
8/5/2007, 01:00 PM
baseball, football, a little soccer for a couple of years, hockey briefly, track, and basketball for far too long.

SicEmBaylor
8/5/2007, 01:05 PM
Hey Howzit,
What'd you swim?

SOONER STEAKER
8/5/2007, 01:38 PM
Played HS football and baseball, All Stated in each sport. Still hold 2 records at my alma mater which have stood or 25 years. Played football in college but never got past the meat squad and the bullpen.

Howzit
8/5/2007, 01:48 PM
Hey Howzit,
What'd you swim?

freestyle sprinter, the 50 and the 100.

Although my coach always said I was actually a lazy mid-distance freestyler.

you?

TheHumanAlphabet
8/5/2007, 02:14 PM
I was a decent offensive tackle in HS, but I quickly learned that my brains were going to take me farther than my football prowess, that and playing in the band took time away from football (and probably playing time). Anyway from a quirk of dorm living, Don Key became a drinking buddy and tried to get me to walk-on at OU. I still maintain my brains were taking me further and The Pride took me to 3 Orange Bowl fields...So today I have a Ph.D. I think I made the correct choice. Don't regret getting busted up and all...

SicEmBaylor
8/5/2007, 02:37 PM
freestyle sprinter, the 50 and the 100.

Although my coach always said I was actually a lazy mid-distance freestyler.

you?
My coach always just called me lazy...;)

I was a freestyle sprinter as well from 2nd-9th grade on my local team and USS team, but by the time high school came around it became harder and harder for me to compensate for the height/build difference between everyone else so I switched to long distance and loved it.

I think if I had it to do over again then I'd have always done long distance.

SoonerGirl06
8/5/2007, 02:46 PM
Played softball till the other female players became too "butch" and started to scare me.

Volleyball because I was one of the tallest in my class.

Really liked volleyball. Softball was great too till some big butch girl decided to slide into home and knocked me out. :(

StuIsTheMan
8/5/2007, 02:50 PM
Baseball-By far my favorite to play. Played for 11 years
Basketball-had fun, on a good team while growing up
Football-only played for 4 years, had to choose between FB and Baseball...I was better at baseball...
Soccer-Recuited to play goalie at my HS for a few Tournaments...had fun...glad I didn't have to run all over the field though...
BUT NOTHIN BEATS THE BEER DRINK'n INTERSQUADRON SOFTBALL GAMES IN THE A.F. THOUGH...nothing like setting you beer on 2nd base as you play Short Stop.:D

olevetonahill
8/5/2007, 02:52 PM
I was a Cheer leader :D

StuIsTheMan
8/5/2007, 02:56 PM
I was a Cheer leader :D
that's a mental image I did not need.:pop:

olevetonahill
8/5/2007, 03:02 PM
that's a mental image I did not need.:pop:
Heres the storey
We had a powderpuff game , The girls used our Ftball Unins . Theres were way to small fer us so me an 2 More Players Were the cheer leaders for our girls .

StuIsTheMan
8/5/2007, 03:13 PM
Heres the storey
We had a powderpuff game , The girls used our Ftball Unins . Theres were way to small fer us so me an 2 More Players Were the cheer leaders for our girls .

Gee thanks for clearing up the picture....ewwe:D

olevetonahill
8/5/2007, 03:15 PM
Gee thanks for clearing up the picture....ewwe:D
The gurl that used My uni Couldnt figure out what the Jock strap was for So I showed her :D :hot:

M
8/5/2007, 03:43 PM
I briefly played basketball and softball way back in the day.

I've been dancing for 20+ years. Ballet, lyrical, modern. And although it's not a sport, it requires quite a lot of strength, endurance, flexibility and dedication. It's a great and fun way to stay in shape! :)

olevetonahill
8/5/2007, 03:46 PM
I briefly played basketball and softball way back in the day.

I've been dancing for 20+ years. Ballet, lyrical, modern, POLE . And although it's not a sport, it requires quite a lot of strength, endurance, flexibility and dedication. It's a great and fun way to stay in shape! :)
:D :hot:

goingoneight
8/5/2007, 03:54 PM
Wow... well, what I HAVEN'T played is probably a better question. Sports were my life all the way through school. No letters, school records or anything like that, I was just kind of an all-around athlete. I don't like golf much. I just got back into playing coed softball and flag football in the adult leagues two years ago, but I'm on IR right now... :( Docs say my hand is looking teh awesom-o, so I expect to be back for the fall and winter leagues. Not bragging about myself or inflating stats, but I do make my presence known in baseball and now in softball. I pitched for years in baseball, played 3rd ans SS the first few years in softball, until the team manager found out he likes having me where the action is in left field.

M
8/5/2007, 04:37 PM
And VK and Czar thought they knew how I got these sculpted muscles. ;)

olevetonahill
8/5/2007, 04:40 PM
And VK and Czar thought they knew how I got these sculpted muscles. ;)
Pics !

Cam
8/5/2007, 07:27 PM
Soccer: 30 years and counting. Pro tryout out of college, but I stunk up the joint. Don't play as much as I used to, the body just doesn't recover like it used to and my leg isn't quite 100% yet.
Baseball: Little League and HS
Basketball: Biddy thru Jr High
Golf: I'm a hack
Raquetball: Played in a few rec tournaments in college (Tried other tennis and squash but hated both.)
Slow pitch softball: Beer leagues rock

TexasLidig8r
8/6/2007, 10:00 AM
Cross country in the mornings (team won state my junior year, got 4th my senior year)... I was a spare on the team.

Football... wide receiver and punter.

Basketball... you know, those obnoxious, under 6 feet tall, really smart guards that just drove you crazy...

Track... a 400 guy.

Golf.. picked it up way too late but you should at least not embarrass yourself when you golf with clients.

goodonya
8/6/2007, 10:32 AM
Then:

Football from 5th to 12th grade. Lettered last 3-years

Baseball from 2nd to 12th grade. Lettered last 4-years.

Track from 5th to 12th grade. Lettered last 2-years.

Wrestling from 5th to 12th grade. Lettered last 5-years.

Now:

Golf, Tennis, Racquetball and street & "side yard" football with the boys and their friends. (Yes, I'm always the QB) Also football passing drills while on the jet skis. My son and his friends invented this in HS. They are quite good at it and I even have video to prove it.

BTW I cannot chew gum and make a basket with the big ball. Never have, never will but I can compete with sons and friends at very high levels of H*O*R*S*E in the driveway as long as I don't have to move to shoot. (I quit being embarrassed about this 20-years ago, finally)

springs sooner
8/6/2007, 10:52 AM
Baseball- thu juco, 2 time all state pitcher
Football all thru high school
Wrestling all thru high school to get in shape for baseball.

no the occasional beer league softball, but i coach competitive traveling baseball.