PDA

View Full Version : Hottest salsa at a Mexican restaurant

AllAboutThe'O'
8/3/2007, 08:05 PM
So while driving back on business, a few miles outside of Spiro on Hwy. 9 I see an out-of-the-way Mexican place, called Rodriquez's. I've heard pretty good things about it so I decided to swing by and check it out. It's pretty good but I want to go ahead and warn you: The salsa, while tasty, is real hot. I went through about three full glasses of iced tea, and I was even sucking countless ice cubes. I felt at times my eyes were going to melt off my face and I was still trying to get the burning taste out of my mouth when I made it back to Fort Smith. But will I go back? You bet I will.

So what's the hottest salsa you've ever had at a Mexican place?

soonerbrat
8/3/2007, 08:27 PM
drinking water/tea and sucking on ice cubes is about the worst thing you can do when you have hot salsa and are trying to cool the mouth...capsaicin is oil based and water just spreads it around and makes it worse...next time try eating a piece of bread or something greasy or taking a drink of milk...not skim milk though

oklaclarinet
8/3/2007, 09:13 PM
Yeah, there is a reason corn chips go really well with salsa, those starches help to counteract the capsaicin. As for some hot salsa, if you go to the Mexican place in Heavener (Magia something or the other) and add a tub of the green stuff to a bowl of salsa, then you get some hot stuff.

(I'm guessing the green stuff is probably some habanero sauce, as I've been known to add some that's in a bottle on the table to my salsa at some place in Owasso. My friend commented that something that bright of a green should not be eaten, but I did it anyway.)

soonerboomer93
8/3/2007, 09:15 PM
that mild pace just burns my mouth like you wouldn't believe...

AllAboutThe'O'
8/3/2007, 09:20 PM
Yeah, there is a reason corn chips go really well with salsa, those starches help to counteract the capsaicin. As for some hot salsa, if you go to the Mexican place in Heavener (Magia something or the other) and add a tub of the green stuff to a bowl of salsa, then you get some hot stuff.

(I'm guessing the green stuff is probably some habanero sauce, as I've been known to add some that's in a bottle on the table to my salsa at some place in Owasso. My friend commented that something that bright of a green should not be eaten, but I did it anyway.)
The one I've been to in Heavener is El Celaya (sp.?), which opened up in the downtown area a few months ago. May have to check that other place out.

StoopTroup
8/3/2007, 09:23 PM
Since capsaicin is oil based...

I wonder if a teaspoon of balsmic vinegar might ****** the burning.

Chuck Bao
8/3/2007, 09:34 PM
In Thailand, we eat cucumbers to cool down. It seems to work much better than bread for me.

Did you see this article? It seems that Thai chilies are only about one-tenth of the hotness of habaneros. I like hot, but Prik-ee-nu (or mouse **** chili) is about all I want in one go. I can't imagine these chilies from India.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20058096/

usmc-sooner
8/3/2007, 09:46 PM
I love spicy stuff but I think the Orientals got one up on the Mexicans, I bit into some kind of pepper at a Chinese place once and I couldn't finish my meal.

soonerboomer93
8/3/2007, 10:03 PM
I had a ko chu one time, brought tears to my eyes took a good 10 minutes for the burning to stop

Chuck Bao
8/3/2007, 10:06 PM
I do that all the time. If a tourist is in town and I'm playing host I'll tell them to try this - it's really "sweet".

oklaclarinet
8/3/2007, 11:19 PM
The one I've been to in Heavener is El Celaya (sp.?), which opened up in the downtown area a few months ago. May have to check that other place out.

This one is on the west side of the main highway just south of where 270/Wister Road hits it.

GottaHavePride
8/3/2007, 11:22 PM
The stuff I call "mild" is hotter than most people I know can handle.

That said, the hottest food I've ever had in a Mexican restaurant wasn't salsa - it was a "spicy pork burrito" at Cholita's in Wichita. I was in freakin' tears after a couple of bites. Finished it anyway. ;)

Thai food can kick worse than that, though, depending on how evil the little old man at Thai House feels that day.

olevetonahill
8/3/2007, 11:56 PM
This one is on the west side of the main highway just south of where 270/Wister Road hits it.
Bro Ive opened 3 Mex joints , Wahurtas in Poteau Sucks
Are these places in Heavener Better than that junk ?
I do like me some beaner food !

soonerboomer93
8/4/2007, 12:26 AM
I do that all the time. If a tourist is in town and I'm playing host I'll tell them to try this - it's really "sweet".

Actually, I have no problem with hot at all, I was just suprised how hot that 1 pepper was. Normally those don't bother me at all

yermom
8/4/2007, 01:46 AM
Since capsaicin is oil based...

I wonder if a teaspoon of balsmic vinegar might ****** the burning.

heh, ******

Te Kei's in Tulsa has white vinegar on the table for this purpose

and this souds like a challenge :D

i'm with GHP though, "spicy" or "hot" on most menus is a joke for me

one exception is "papaya salad" at Thai Raja in Norman. that stuff was intense

King Crimson
8/4/2007, 02:31 AM
at most places spicy or hot is a joke because patrons (this is true) will send back something that is "too hot"--after ordering it. i wouldn't ever do it, nor would you, but a lot of people do. it's pitiful.

at Boulder's late great Sen~or Miguel's they had a "green salsa" smother that was more or less a lot of fresh, diced jalapenos and you had to have some hair on testicles to eat that bad boy. i tell you though, their chile verde was incredible--really truly tender pork and tomatillos. great mondongo, too. that place was truly great. biker bar by day, kick *** mexican joint by night....but the overall gentrification put them out. free stale chips and salsa (pureed tomato and cilantro with some cumin) and 1$ Bud drafts at the bar. i watched the 94 CWS there. great afternoon.

i can't do that **** liked used to; but, i would not f around with thai peppers. at this point, a really good lamb vindaloo is about enough. "what a drag it is...getting old...."

King Crimson
8/4/2007, 02:38 AM
there is/or used to be a place just off 1-25 in Pueblo, Co near the old steel factory....really garish mexican divey joint that had an app that was called "house bean dip". which was basically half diced fresh jalapenos and refried beans with salsa. it rocked. i can't remember the name of that place, but it's awesome.

Chuck Bao
8/4/2007, 03:07 AM
The best Mexican I've ever had is that place in downtown Ardmore.

I hit that at least once ever time I'm home. I can't explain why it's so good, like I can't quite describe why Thai food in the US doesn't even compare to that in Thailand.

Anyway, I can do without salsa if I can just get some of their fried jalapenos.

Seamus
8/4/2007, 05:41 AM
I saw that article on the "ghost chili" the other day. A habanero comes in at 580,000 Scoville units.

The ghost chili smoked it at 1,001,304 Scoville units.

Dude, that is a seriously scorched anus the next morning :eek:

phead903
8/4/2007, 10:09 AM
The hottest salsa I ever had was from Ninfa's in Dallas. A buddy of mine used to work for the Lorenzo family and he took me there - had one of the cooks make me som special "Salsa Atomica" - just about took the skin off of my tongue!!

Sooner24
8/4/2007, 10:16 AM
The best Mexican I've ever had is that place in downtown Ardmore.

I hit that at least once ever time I'm home. I can't explain why it's so good, like I can't quite describe why Thai food in the US doesn't even compare to that in Thailand.

Anyway, I can do without salsa if I can just get some of their fried jalapenos.

Casa Romo. Their fried jalapenos RMFO!!!

Harry Beanbag
8/4/2007, 11:48 AM
Anybody ever make any salsa with serrano peppers instead of jalapenos? They're about 4 times hotter on the Scoville scale and I think the flavor is just outstanding.

Mixer!
8/4/2007, 04:48 PM
I'm still waiting for salsa made from these. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorset_Naga)

:eek: :O

Cam
8/5/2007, 07:51 PM
Los Dos Molinos in Phoenix had the hottest Mexican food I've ever eaten.

An Indian joint in London wins hands down for the overall hotest. I was sweatin like a whore on dollar night after 3 bites. Was able to put down half of it and paid the price for the next two days.

Harry Beanbag
8/5/2007, 07:54 PM

Where is that place?

Cam
8/5/2007, 08:21 PM
Where is that place?
This is the one I went to:
8646 S. Central, Phoenix, 602-243-9113

Apparently there's one in Mesa as well on Alma School Road. Don't remember it being there when we lived there.

soonerboomer93
8/5/2007, 09:12 PM
at most places spicy or hot is a joke because patrons (this is true) will send back something that is "too hot"--after ordering it. i wouldn't ever do it, nor would you, but a lot of people do. it's pitiful.

at Boulder's late great Sen~or Miguel's they had a "green salsa" smother that was more or less a lot of fresh, diced jalapenos and you had to have some hair on testicles to eat that bad boy. i tell you though, their chile verde was incredible--really truly tender pork and tomatillos. great mondongo, too. that place was truly great. biker bar by day, kick *** mexican joint by night....but the overall gentrification put them out. free stale chips and salsa (pureed tomato and cilantro with some cumin) and 1$ Bud drafts at the bar. i watched the 94 CWS there. great afternoon.

i can't do that **** liked used to; but, i would not f around with thai peppers. at this point, a really good lamb vindaloo is about enough. "what a drag it is...getting old...."

after my grandmothers family recipe the best place in denver that i've found for chili verde is Brewery Bar II off Kalamath (close to I-25 and Santa Fe)

The hot is fairly hot and it does have a good taste to it. Every time I go back if mom can't make it, i'm heading over there to get a smothered chicken burrito

King Crimson
8/6/2007, 12:19 PM
after my grandmothers family recipe the best place in denver that i've found for chili verde is Brewery Bar II off Kalamath (close to I-25 and Santa Fe)

The hot is fairly hot and it does have a good taste to it. Every time I go back if mom can't make it, i'm heading over there to get a smothered chicken burrito

I've been to brewery bar II a couple times. i like it. i think the Blue Bonnet is pretty decent on S. Broadway.

The Maestro
8/6/2007, 12:41 PM

I saw this thread title and was going to say Los Dos Molinos as well. They don't even have a mild salsa and I generally like hot salsa. The weakest one is pretty strong.

Harry, it is good stuff. The chicken flautas are incredible. Don't go to the one in Mesa even though it is closer. The one at Baseline and Central...just south on Central...is much better. The weekend will have you waiting a long time at night...go on a Saturday afternoon or something.

StuIsTheMan
8/6/2007, 12:52 PM
Habanero's is a place in San Jose del Cabo. Has the best tasting Salsa (IMO) and also one of the hottest things I have ever tasted...Lives up to the name...also another place down there is Dante's...the salsa didn't taste as good but HOLY FOUR ALARMS BATMAN!

IN FUEGO!

springs sooner
8/6/2007, 01:01 PM
there is/or used to be a place just off 1-25 in Pueblo, Co near the old steel factory....really garish mexican divey joint that had an app that was called "house bean dip". which was basically half diced fresh jalapenos and refried beans with salsa. it rocked. i can't remember the name of that place, but it's awesome.

was it called Nachoes? if not you should try that place sounds a lot like what you described. My in laws are from Pueblo and everytime i go there i have to go to Nachoes.

Cam
8/6/2007, 08:16 PM
I saw this thread title and was going to say Los Dos Molinos as well. They don't even have a mild salsa and I generally like hot salsa. The weakest one is pretty strong.

Harry, it is good stuff. The chicken flautas are incredible. Don't go to the one in Mesa even though it is closer. The one at Baseline and Central...just south on Central...is much better. The weekend will have you waiting a long time at night...go on a Saturday afternoon or something.
Last time I went there, my buddies and I had just finished our meal and were all breathing fire. This family walks in, and the chips and salsa arrive before the drinks. Their 7-8 year old son takes a chip, piles on the salsa and slams it into his mouth. My friends and I were looking at each other with "holy ****" faces. After about 2 seconds, the kid grabs his face and starts wailing. They finally got him some milk, but the kid's face was red and he was sweating bullets and still crying when we left.

Harry Beanbag
8/6/2007, 08:26 PM
Last time I went there, my buddies and I had just finished our meal and were all breathing fire. This family walks in, and the chips and salsa arrive before the drinks. Their 7-8 year old son takes a chip, piles on the salsa and slams it into his mouth. My friends and I were looking at each other with "holy ****" faces. After about 2 seconds, the kid grabs his face and starts wailing. They finally got him some milk, but the kid's face was red and he was sweating bullets and still crying when we left.

Sounds like my kind of place. :hot: :texan:

soonerboomer93
8/6/2007, 08:30 PM
I've been to brewery bar II a couple times. i like it. i think the Blue Bonnet is pretty decent on S. Broadway.

I'll have to try it.

soonerboomer93
8/6/2007, 08:32 PM
on, and I do like the hole in the wall atmosphere of BB II

best food can be found in hole in the wall bars all over the world...

TopDaugIn2000
8/6/2007, 09:07 PM
I've been going to Rodriquez's for about 22 years, I was raised on his salsa. When I was 5 we'd stop there every wednesday on my way home from dance lessons in Poteau. I would be all dressed up in my tutu and have to show Mr. Jesus Rodriquez what I learned that night in lessons. He loved to pick on me and lights up every time I walk in the door nowadays.
Yuppers, his salsa is HOT, but YUMMY. If you ask him for "wimpy salsa" he'll bring you some, but laugh at ya.
My boss at OU always said he couldn't find salsa hot enough for him. So one weekend when I was home I stopped in and told Jesus what my boss said. He replied "Come back tomorrow, I'll fix the dead man". I stopped in the next day on my way back to norman and he gave me a pint of green FIRE. My boss stood corrected. Oh, and after about 3 days the stuff furmented in the fridge, it was that hot and he doesn't use preservatives.
"O", did you have the cheese dip? Best evar. I'm not kidding.

TopDaugIn2000
8/6/2007, 09:09 PM
Oh, and don't even bother trying the Rodriquez's in Poteau (if it's even still there). It is owned by the ex-wife and SUCKS.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/6/2007, 11:27 PM
I've been going to Rodriquez's for about 22 years, I was raised on his salsa. When I was 5 we'd stop there every wednesday on my way home from dance lessons in Poteau. I would be all dressed up in my tutu and have to show Mr. Jesus Rodriquez what I learned that night in lessons. He loved to pick on me and lights up every time I walk in the door nowadays.
Yuppers, his salsa is HOT, but YUMMY. If you ask him for "wimpy salsa" he'll bring you some, but laugh at ya.
My boss at OU always said he couldn't find salsa hot enough for him. So one weekend when I was home I stopped in and told Jesus what my boss said. He replied "Come back tomorrow, I'll fix the dead man". I stopped in the next day on my way back to norman and he gave me a pint of green FIRE. My boss stood corrected. Oh, and after about 3 days the stuff furmented in the fridge, it was that hot and he doesn't use preservatives.
"O", did you have the cheese dip? Best evar. I'm not kidding.
No, I guess I'll have to try that next time. And they've been around for over 20 years? Wow.

TopDaugIn2000
8/7/2007, 08:11 AM
maybe longer. not sure. We started going there around '85. The menu hasn't really changed either. and I think he puts crack in his cheese dip to make it so good.

C&CDean
8/7/2007, 08:40 AM
I crack up at you hillbillies.

If the salsa isn't canned, then it's being made with the peppers that are currently available. Sometimes they're hot, sometimes not so much. Salsa varies from day to day at most mexican joints.

Right now, the jalapenos out of the garden are getting pretty dang warm. They're also higher than usual in whatever it is that makes you cough when you inhale the vapors. Very peppery.

I've got several quarts of canned habaneros that momma put up last year. They're even hotter than the ones she puts in the nuclear elk chili. They're sliced in little circles like you'd put on nachos - but I take one little slice and cut it into 4 pieces and put it on a hamburger. All the hot you want while having the great habanero flavor.

And I can make salsa right now hotter than anybody on this board can handle. But why? I like my salsa very hot, but you still have to be able to taste the tomatoes, cilantro, etc.

TopDaugIn2000
8/7/2007, 10:57 AM
I asked the waitress at Chilleno's one time if she had anything hotter, she brought me a bowl of ground up habaneros. no tomatoes, onions, etc, just peppers. I added a dab to the regular salsa and made it JUST RIGHT.

King Crimson
8/7/2007, 04:13 PM
on, and I do like the hole in the wall atmosphere of BB II

best food can be found in hole in the wall bars all over the world...

yeah, the atmosphere of the BB II is great. i've always wanted to watch a Bronco game there some time, eat, and have a pitcher or two. and i don't even like the Broncos.

Blue Bonnet is solid, the old bar area has atmosphere....the newer part not as much. but, they are busy pretty much all-day and get people in and out. food is solid, not unreasonably priced. green chile is very good. the relleno is def above average. my dad always gets a churro for desert, and they are pretty damned good i have to admit.

oklaclarinet
8/12/2007, 10:14 PM
So while driving back on business, a few miles outside of Spiro on Hwy. 9 I see an out-of-the-way Mexican place, called Rodriquez's. I've heard pretty good things about it so I decided to swing by and check it out. It's pretty good but I want to go ahead and warn you: The salsa, while tasty, is real hot. I went through about three full glasses of iced tea, and I was even sucking countless ice cubes. I felt at times my eyes were going to melt off my face and I was still trying to get the burning taste out of my mouth when I made it back to Fort Smith. But will I go back? You bet I will.

So what's the hottest salsa you've ever had at a Mexican place?

So I finally ate at Rodriquez's this past weekend, and I will agree that this was the hottest salsa I have had. It was quite tasty though. In fact, the food on the whole was quite excellent.

olevetonahill
8/12/2007, 10:28 PM
So I finally ate at Rodriquez's this past weekend, and I will agree that this was the hottest salsa I have had. It was quite tasty though. In fact, the food on the whole was quite excellent.
How about those in heavener ?

1stTimeCaller
8/12/2007, 10:42 PM
Anybody ever make any salsa with serrano peppers instead of jalapenos? They're about 4 times hotter on the Scoville scale and I think the flavor is just outstanding.

I use a combo of the two with more serranos than japs. You are spot on about the flavor and heat. The heat is sneaky with the combo as it doesn't hit you at once but you can feel it getting hotter and hotter and hotter.

I love spicy food but it has to have good flavor and the heat has to make sense. Hot for the sake of hot or hot with no or bad flavor is just stupid.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/12/2007, 11:04 PM
I use a combo of the two with more serranos than japs. http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/Tonito44/ThatsRacist.gif

olevetonahill
8/12/2007, 11:11 PM
I use a combo of the two with more serranos than japs. You are spot on about the flavor and heat. The heat is sneaky with the combo as it doesn't hit you at once but you can feel it getting hotter and hotter and hotter.

I love spicy food but it has to have good flavor and the heat has to make sense. Hot for the sake of hot or hot with no or bad flavor is just stupid.
Ditto :cool:

SoonerGirl06
8/12/2007, 11:13 PM
I am such a wimp when it comes to salsa. Most of the time there ain't enough sour cream or milk to take the hot off of my tongue when I eat that stuff.

olevetonahill
8/12/2007, 11:17 PM
I am such a wimp when it comes to salsa. Most of the time there ain't enough sour cream or milk to take the hot off of my tongue when I eat that stuff.
Oh Baby ! i aint gonna say nuthin :D :D :D :D :D :D

SoonerGirl06
8/12/2007, 11:30 PM
Oh good Lord!

I said "WHEN IT COMES TO EATING SALSA!!!!!!!"

I have such a way of putting things into words, don't I? :confused: :D :confused: :D

olevetonahill
8/13/2007, 12:34 AM
Oh good Lord!

I said "WHEN IT COMES TO EATING SALSA!!!!!!!"

I have such a way of putting things into words, don't I? :confused: :D :confused: :D
And I said Im man enough to cool you down :cool:

TopDaugIn2000
8/13/2007, 12:10 PM

what did you have? Please tell me you ordered cheese dip......

phead903
8/13/2007, 09:08 PM
Ok, ok...SG06 and I are trying Rodriguez's next time she is in Ft Smith - and the damn cheese dip better be worth the drive!!!:D

C&CDean
8/13/2007, 09:22 PM
Ok, ok...SG06 and I are trying Rodriguez's next time she is in Ft Smith - and the damn cheese dip better be worth the drive!!!:D

Cheese dip? Y'all see what I'm talking about? It's a hopeless, sad world when people judge a mex joint by the fakey plastic cheese crapola they pour all over everything at tex-mex joints. In my world, velveeta would be banned.

SoonerGirl06
8/13/2007, 09:27 PM
So are you sayin' Queso ain't Messican? :confused:

C&CDean
8/13/2007, 09:30 PM
So are you sayin' Queso ain't Messican? :confused:

Queso is mexican for cheese. Not for ****. If you go down into Mehico, and ask for "queso" you'll get a plate of grated or sliced cheese - probably asadero. You'd never get that carmelized super glue y'all call "queso."

C&CDean
8/13/2007, 09:30 PM
And who's the fag in your avatar?

SoonerGirl06
8/13/2007, 09:36 PM
And who's the fag in your avatar?

Hell if I know... I just picked it out of a line up.

C&CDean
8/13/2007, 09:39 PM
Well I'm pretty danged sure that boy's been in several of those.

SoonerGirl06
8/13/2007, 09:44 PM
From my understanding it's because he likes to run around in thongs and cowboy boots.

oklaclarinet
8/13/2007, 10:14 PM
what did you have? Please tell me you ordered cheese dip......

Yes I had some of that. Make that a lot of that. Plus I had the chimichanga.

Sooner24
8/13/2007, 11:32 PM
Any of you AZ Sooners tried Tradiciones in Phoenix?

AllAboutThe'O'
8/14/2007, 12:07 AM
Yes I had some of that. Make that a lot of that. Plus I had the chimichanga.
Anyone up for an eastern Oklahoma/western Arkansas SF.com get-together sometime down the road at Rodriquez? We could also have a contest as to who can eat the most salsa.

TopDaugIn2000
8/14/2007, 09:22 AM
hahahahaha

IN!

my brother and his best friend used to have a contest with the salsa, they'd eat it by the spoonful. YIKES!

TopDaugIn2000
8/14/2007, 09:27 AM
I remember the Rodriquez twin boys sitting in high-chairs eating beans. Last time I was in there (mid may) they were working and had turned into MEN. made me feel old.

Fraggle145
8/14/2007, 12:29 PM
They make a Abanjero salsa at Tarahumara in Norman. Its made almost exclusively with habanjeros. it is pretty damn hot, like feel it the next day hot. And I am pretty good eating the hot stuff

yermom
8/14/2007, 03:01 PM
hmm... i haven't tried that there

i've decided my body doesn't care for the habanjeros though. i always get the "green sauce" there. it's sort of an atomic guacamole

TopDaugIn2000
8/14/2007, 03:21 PM
I don't care for Tarahumara or Taramahura or whatever it is too much. A former co-worker of mine RAVED of the place, but I was kinda disappointed.

Fraggle145
8/14/2007, 03:25 PM
I find the food to be okay to good. Its the speed that it gets to me that I like. I like habaneros though so that helps too.

yermom
8/14/2007, 03:31 PM
I don't care for Tarahumara or Taramahura or whatever it is too much. A former co-worker of mine RAVED of the place, but I was kinda disappointed.

Ted's is close enough that i generally just go there if i want Tex-Mex, i'm not really impressed with the stuff in Norman

silverwheels
8/14/2007, 03:35 PM
I ate at a place called "The Shed" in Santa Fe on Saturday. Didn't get a chance to have their salsa (which is reputed to be hot), but their red chile sauce had a nice bite to it. Next time I'm in Santa Fe I'll have to get their salsa.

And that stuff beat the s**t out of any Tex-Mex food.

TopDaugIn2000
8/14/2007, 03:54 PM
Ted's is close enough that i generally just go there if i want Tex-Mex, i'm not really impressed with the stuff in Norman

OVER-RATED

CLAP

CLAP

CLAP CLAP CLAP

:D

oklaclarinet
8/14/2007, 07:32 PM
Anyone up for an eastern Oklahoma/western Arkansas SF.com get-together sometime down the road at Rodriquez? We could also have a contest as to who can eat the most salsa.

I'm in.

olevetonahill
8/14/2007, 07:43 PM
I'm in.
In

Sooner24
8/14/2007, 08:01 PM
I remember the Rodriquez twin boys sitting in high-chairs eating beans. Last time I was in there (mid may) they were working and had turned into MEN. made me feel horny. :hot:

Fixed!

phead903
8/14/2007, 08:50 PM

IN - SG06 and I will be there!!!

Harry Beanbag
8/14/2007, 09:22 PM
Any of you AZ Sooners tried Tradiciones in Phoenix?

No

Sooner24
8/14/2007, 09:30 PM
No

My wife and I ate there in May. It's at 1602 East Roosevelt. Not the best part of town but the food was good. There is a mexican grocery store next to it that has stuff stacked to the roof.

Harry Beanbag
8/14/2007, 09:38 PM
My wife and I ate there in May. It's at 1602 East Roosevelt. Not the best part of town but the food was good. There is a mexican grocery store next to it that has stuff stacked to the roof.

Yeah, most of Phoenix is not the best part of town. Guess I have two places to try out now, thanks.

PhxSooner
8/14/2007, 10:08 PM
Arriba has some pretty hot salsa. They use hatch chiles in just about everything. There's one on Chandler Blvd and one up at 101 and FLW.

Harry Beanbag
8/14/2007, 10:09 PM
I've been to Arriba a few times, it's pretty good.

soonerboomer93
8/14/2007, 10:25 PM
chili verde is made with hatch chili's normally

roast them, peel and then freeze them

they get hotter and have a much better taste if done that way

AllAboutThe'O'
8/14/2007, 11:21 PM
I'm planning to take my friend from Little Rock, who's going to be in the area on business (huge Iowa State Cyclone fan, BTW) to Rodriquez's tomorrow just so he can indulge in the salsa.
Thanks to those who have responded on a SF.com gathering. Anyone that has a free schedule or a date in mind, just PM me.

olevetonahill
8/14/2007, 11:25 PM
just about any time.

TopDaugIn2000
8/15/2007, 08:18 AM
just make sure it's not a monday, he's closed on mondays.

TopDaugIn2000
8/15/2007, 08:19 AM
I'm planning to take my friend from Little Rock, who's going to be in the area on business (huge Iowa State Cyclone fan, BTW) to Rodriquez's tomorrow just so he can indulge in the salsa.
Thanks to those who have responded on a SF.com gathering. Anyone that has a free schedule or a date in mind, just PM me.

oh, and I strongly recommend the burritos. and CHEESE DIP

C&CDean
8/15/2007, 08:48 AM
Yes, by all means get the cheese dip. Afterall, what would the whitebread version of mexican food be without vinyl cheese sauce?

TopDaugIn2000
8/15/2007, 09:27 AM
this is NOT "stadium cheese" dean, it's GOOOOOOD eats

C&CDean
8/15/2007, 11:52 AM
My wife makes good queso. She puts hot sausage and jalapenos in it. It's tasty. However, it ain't mexican food. Neither is that queso you get at the messican place. It's been created by mexicans for white people because we seem to think that smothering all the good stuff with cheese/gravy/sauce makes it taste better.

I ain't saying it doesn't taste good. I'm simply saying that you shouldn't say "queso sauce" and "mexican food" in the same sentence.

yermom
8/15/2007, 11:55 AM
i think queso is the main difference between Mexican and Tex-Mex

C&CDean
8/15/2007, 11:57 AM
i think queso is the main difference between Mexican and Tex-Mex

Yup. That and the canned hormel chili they pour all over your tamales and enchiladas at the tex mex places.

C&CDean
8/15/2007, 11:58 AM
And the absence of carne seca, machaca, chorizo, lengua, paper thin flour tortillas that don't taste like little pieces of cardboard, and smooth, lardy refried beans.

King Crimson
8/15/2007, 12:00 PM
i don't know about that equation. you don't get "queso" in Colorado at your table, but you do get some really crappy "tex-mex". which means your restaurant kitchen is a steam table with refrieds, cheddar cheese, corn or flour tortillas, ground beef, some gawdawful chicken thing smothered in heavy cream, a flat grill for "fajitias" etc.

now, there's good stuff too--carnitas and tomatillo sauce on friday nights on Federal in Denver, carne asada tacos in west denver with the diced red onions, cilantro and quarter limes. but you have to work a little.

not to mention the real mexican fish and seafood stews and various other regional cuisines.

TopDaugIn2000
8/15/2007, 12:02 PM
is there something WRONG with smooth, lardy refried beans????

C&CDean
8/15/2007, 12:49 PM

Nope. It's the "baracho" beans that a lot of tex mex places serve that just don't cut it. If you see beans in your beans then it ain't beans.

Chelinos and my favorite Bravo's in Purcell serve pretty decent refried beans, and the chili rellenos at Bravo's are pretty killer. No, they're not Sonoran style (which rmfo), but they're damned good.

phead903
8/15/2007, 06:07 PM

If lovin' smooth, lardy refried beans is WRONG, I don't wanta be RIGHT!:D

soonerboomer93
8/15/2007, 06:49 PM
the lack of smooth, lardy refried beans is a big part of what makes chipotle the suck