PDA

View Full Version : So we're starting off at #8

Suerreal
8/3/2007, 08:21 AM
according to the USA Today Coaches Poll. That's up 2 spots from last year's preseason poll.

The Poll (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm)

OU Capsule (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/big12/oklahoma.htm)

CincySooner
8/3/2007, 08:34 AM
seems fair enough

htownsooner7
8/3/2007, 09:56 AM
Can't really argue. Things should take care of themselves on that end. We need to beat Miami and Texas and then take a look..

Doged
8/3/2007, 10:03 AM
Heh.. someone voted for Duke as #25.

CincySooner
8/3/2007, 10:09 AM
Heh.. someone voted for Duke as #25.

Spurrier always does that in his pre-season poll because Duke gave him his first HC job.

illinisooner
8/3/2007, 10:20 AM
A few things I noticed: Florida has 9 first place votes? Yeah they have alot of talent, but they have to replace quite a few key players. Could argue with Texas being #4, but I don't care that much. How bout Okie St being at the bottom of the "others receiving votes" categories? That should set their fans off haha. With the world's most powerful offense, I figured they'd be consensus #1. I was a little surprised that Mizzou didn't get more votes, and the Notre Dame bias has been clearly shown again. Most "experts" have said they won't win more than 7 games in the season, yet they garner 90 votes. With all the under the radar love that South Florida has gotten, I thought they'd get more votes. And 2-10 Memphis getting a few votes, huh? Just my thoughts...

soonerinabilene
8/3/2007, 11:10 AM
Are we 8, 13, 3????? im confused. All these different pre-season rankings makes me feel like they dont matter at all...

Boomer.....
8/3/2007, 11:19 AM
None of the preseason crap matters. Just go out and win games.

snp
8/3/2007, 11:25 AM
Are we 8, 13, 3????? im confused. All these different pre-season rankings makes me feel like they dont matter at all...

Now I'm going to blow your mind (http://preseason.stassen.com/consensus/2007.html)

We're 8. only the Harris and Coach's (USA Today) matter since they are the only ones used in the BCS.

SelmaBamaFan
8/3/2007, 11:26 AM
I think the major pre-season polls do matter at the end of the year. A one loss team that starts the year in the top 10 has a much better shot at going to the title game that a one loss team that started outside the top 25.

Alabama starts outside the top 25 this year. Just for arguement's sake lets say we go undefeated (I know, I know its just an example), and OU and USC go undefeated as well while starting off in the top 10. Guess which one gets left out?

Frozen Sooner
8/3/2007, 11:29 AM
Hopefully USC. Just so we can hear them bitch about it again.

SelmaBamaFan
8/3/2007, 11:32 AM
Well if Bama got left out im sure the NCAA building would get fire bombed considering our crazy *** fans! :D

silverwheels
8/3/2007, 11:42 AM
Are they going to vote us down after we come out slow against North Texas? :rolleyes:

soonerboy_odanorth
8/3/2007, 11:54 AM
I love my Sooners. But I wish we were a little more under the radar and we could just let the wins take care of themselves. I thought the 13 ranking in one of the rags was about right. Not so high as to lead some of the boys to annoint themselves world beaters before they've played a down, and not so low that climbing all the way to the top to get to the BCS champ game is out of reach.

You know, just the right mix or respect and motivation.

Frozen Sooner
8/3/2007, 11:56 AM
Well if Bama got left out im sure the NCAA building would get fire bombed considering our crazy *** fans! :D

Who are you kidding? If 'Bama got left out of the national championship game, you'd all just claim another national title and call it a day.

MiccoMacey
8/3/2007, 12:30 PM
Any SEC team starts outside the top 25 this year. Just for arguement's sake lets say they go undefeated (I know, I know its just an example), and OU and USC go undefeated as well while starting off in the top 10. Guess which one gets left out?

That scenario will never happen. ;)

soonerinabilene
8/3/2007, 12:47 PM
Now I'm going to blow your mind (http://preseason.stassen.com/consensus/2007.html)

We're 8. only the Harris and Coach's (USA Today) matter since they are the only ones used in the BCS.

I gotta go lie down.

MichiganSooner
8/3/2007, 01:12 PM
Pre season ratings matter to one person for sure as he admitted it.

Beano Cook. Does he still vote in a poll of the press?

A few years ago, he was on a TV pregame show and said, "we voted Miami #1 during the preseason and Miami has not been beaten yet and therefore Miami is the #1 team in the nation". An absolutely ludricous statement, IMO.

MiccoMacey
8/3/2007, 01:16 PM
Who are you kidding? If 'Bama got left out of the national championship game, you'd all just claim another national title and call it a day.

Crazy funny. Sadly true.

snp
8/3/2007, 01:20 PM
Pre season ratings matter to one person for sure as he admitted it.

Beano Cook. Does he still vote in a poll of the press?

A few years ago, he was on a TV pregame show and said, "we voted Miami #1 during the preseason and Miami has not been beaten yet and therefore Miami is the #1 team in the nation". An absolutely ludricous statement, IMO.

He doesn't vote in the AP Poll anymore and just for fun here's a list of the Harris Poll voters.

Bobby Aillet
Bill Battle
Gene Bartow
Dick Bestwick
Joe Biddle
Blaine Bishop
Kim Bokamper
Terry Bradshaw
Wilt Browning
Earle Bruce
Brentson Buckner
Bob Casciola
Charlie Cavagnaro
John Congemi
Jake Crouthamel
Eddie Crowder
Peter Dalis
Charles Davis
Pete Dawkins
Gerry DiNardo
Bill Dooley
Boots Donnelly
Kevin Duhe
Spike Dykes
Bert Emanuel
Bump Elliott
Boomer Esiason
Don Fambrough
Foge Fazio
Bob Frederick
Andy Geiger
David Glazier
Jim Grabowski
Mike Grace
Bob Grim
Pat Haden
Bob Hammel
Dick Harmon
Tommy Hicks
Clarkston Hines
Lou Holtz
EJ Holub
David Housel
Rocket Ismail
Fred Jacoby
Charlie Johnson
Blair Kerkhoff
Mike Kern
Roy Kramer
Larry Lacewell
Dave Lapham
George Lapides
Steve Largent
Robert Lawless
Jack Lengyel
Jim Lessig
Ferd Lewis
Ted Lewis
Mike Lucas
Mike Lude
Tom Luicci
John Mackovic
Don Maynard
Don McCauley
Joe McConnell
Mike McGee
Lance McIlhenny
Ray Melick
Ted Miller
Darrell Moody
Jim Morse
Craig Morton
Jack Moss
Anthony Munoz
Chuck Neinas
Tim Neverett
Dave Newhouse
George Perles
Ed Podolak
John Pont
Steve Preece
Jason Rash
Homer Rice
Pat Richter
Paul Roach
Kenny Roda
Harvey Schiller
Dr. Terry R. Schmidt
Dick Schultz
Lee Roy Selmon
Dick Sheridan
Ken Shipp
Irwin Smallwood
Jim Ray Smith
Larry Smith
Sam Smith
Gary Spani
Amant Lou St.
Ron Stephenson
Nelson Stokley
Don Sweeney
Whit Taylor
Jack Thompson
John Toner
Steve Townsend
Glenn Tuckett
Max Urick
Roger Valdiserri
Bob Wagner
Frank Weedon
Frank Windegger
Bill Yeoman
Hugh Yoshida

oklaclarinet
8/3/2007, 09:51 PM

Clicked the link, and saw that one poll didn't have us in the top 25: Surefire Scouting. Was curious as to the reason, so I went to their site, and found we weren't even in their top 30. Two questions:

1. Who are these people? I've never heard of them, and their site looks completely amateur.

2. Anybody have a clue as to why they rated us so low?

TXBOOMER
8/3/2007, 10:09 PM
Glad to see we are in the top 10 with a QB that has never taken a snap. I cannot wait for the season.

Big Red Ron
8/3/2007, 10:38 PM
I think Texas and Wisconson are set up for failure with this poll.

MR2-Sooner86
8/3/2007, 11:09 PM
Clicked the link, and saw that one poll didn't have us in the top 25: Surefire Scouting. Was curious as to the reason, so I went to their site, and found we weren't even in their top 30. Two questions:

1. Who are these people? I've never heard of them, and their site looks completely amateur.

2. Anybody have a clue as to why they rated us so low?

Check out their Big 12 South prediction...

South
1 TEXAS
2 TEXAS A&M
3T OKLAHOMA ST
3T OKLAHOMA
5 TEXAS TECH
6 BAYLOR

Although it was cool how we have the 2nd best homefield advantage in Division 1A, to them.

utex74
8/4/2007, 12:15 AM
I think Texas and Wisconson are set up for failure with this poll.

I think # 4 is a bit high. I believe we should be around 7 or 8 and pretty interchangeable with you. If you had a set QB you would be 1 or 2. If we had a set line and secondary we would be 1 or 2. We'll have to see which one develops quicker.

But I'm happy with top ten to start.

utex74
8/4/2007, 12:17 AM
Check out their Big 12 South prediction...

South
1 TEXAS
2 TEXAS A&M
3T OKLAHOMA ST
3T OKLAHOMA
5 TEXAS TECH
6 BAYLOR

Although it was cool how we have the 2nd best homefield advantage in Division 1A, to them.

That make me nervous. They are definitely smoking crack and they have us first in the South. I hope they have at least one right. ;)

goingoneight
8/4/2007, 12:22 AM
eight. Hmmm... methinks it's a sign. :cool:

King Crimson
8/4/2007, 10:01 AM
you have to love any poll that Gerry DiNardo and Foge Fazio are voting in.

when do you think the last time Terry Bradshaw watched a college game was?

diNardo has lost at LSU, Indiana, and Vanderbilt. he's a proven winner.

Fazio sucked at Pitt.

King Crimson
8/4/2007, 10:04 AM
pat haden. no comment.

OSUAggie
8/4/2007, 10:33 AM
How can you hate a guy that brings such a flair to the booth?

soonerloyal
8/4/2007, 01:05 PM
Do the writers of SureFire Scouting ride the short bus to the office?

PLaw
8/5/2007, 10:26 AM
JUST WIN and everything else will take care of itself. That said, a pre-season Top 5 with an early loss can still back into the thick of it whereas others don't have that luxury.

BOOMER
PLAW