PDA

View Full Version : So, I'm sitting alone on location pondering life!

oumartin
8/2/2007, 09:04 PM
Whats more important really.
Making great money so your children don't have to go without yet never getting to really see your kids cuz you are gone 90 percent of the time
or
Making good money and not spoiling them so they can see you on a daily basis?

Job offer on the table, have to decide by tomorrow. But if i take it I will have to sell off some stuff and go back to living like a normal person.

Turd_Ferguson
8/2/2007, 09:08 PM
Job offer on the table, have to decide by tomorrow. But if i take it I will have to sell off some stuff and go back to living like a normal person.

Normal....that's what your looking for isn't it?

oumartin
8/2/2007, 09:11 PM
well i am far from normal!
Problem is had I been smart and saved and bought wisely this would be a no brainer for me.

OCUDad
8/2/2007, 09:17 PM
No contest. Time with the kids wins - unless the alternative is living in a van down by the river.

Turd_Ferguson
8/2/2007, 09:19 PM
Went through the same thing about 5 years ago. Just got tired of being gone all the time. The money makes it a little easier on ya for a while, but being away from the family unit will eat you up.

soonerboomer93
8/2/2007, 09:21 PM
If I had a family, I seriously doubt I would do the work I do (out of the country)

Although, I could bring them with me as that is an option with my current company

oumartin
8/2/2007, 09:25 PM
yeah but wife said we really can't afford it now. I have only been away from that very same job for a year and already I can't afford to go back to it.

oilmud
8/2/2007, 09:25 PM
Choose your family, they grow up before you know it and they need you around. As you already know if you choose the money ultimately it is gone and you have nothing to show for it. I've turned down those consulting jobs for that very reason and don't regret it for one second.

oilmud
8/2/2007, 09:26 PM
yeah but wife said we really can't afford it now. I have only been away from that very same job for a year and already I can't afford to go back to it.

Downsize then.

oilmud
8/2/2007, 09:27 PM
Oh and living on location is the major suck.

oumartin
8/2/2007, 09:28 PM
i would downsize in a heartbeat. problem is nobody wants to buy something there is no market for really. Gas prices are killing me on that one.

usmc-sooner
8/2/2007, 09:39 PM
Making great money so your children don't have to go without yet never getting to really see your kids cuz you are gone 90 percent of the time
or
Making good money and not spoiling them so they can see you on a daily basis?

how often do you see them now? If I can ask? three days a week?

oumartin
8/2/2007, 09:51 PM
no, i will be gone for like 20-25 days and home a week at most.
they can come see me but its almost 6 hours drive and I get worried with them non the road. so generally they come down once per job. now, if this job had me closer to home it wouldn't be as bad. but i have yet to experience that.

Mongo
8/2/2007, 09:52 PM
martin, look at it this way. The oil field works the hell out of their employees. They do not care about us one bit, unless it messes up their profits.

the point is, use them as much as you can. Make as much money as possible. Get as much **** paid off, and save as much as you can, cause this aint gonna last. It never does.

Being away from the kids does suck, but look at it this way: every day you dont see them, you are providing a pretty damn good living for them. They know you love them, and you know that they love you. Take comfort in that fact, and it makes the being away a little bit easier.

oumartin
8/2/2007, 09:55 PM
true mongo and I do have fields to fall back on! This job just sometimes makes me one big @ss hole at home! When I do go home I dont' do anything and I am mad as hell cuz the house might need tending too.
Maybe its my OCD or multiple personalities.

olevetonahill
8/2/2007, 09:57 PM
Bro keep your Job , Dont go any further in debt . Pay your shat off as fast as you can , Like Mongo said save some.
Then take the Kids .

Howzit
8/2/2007, 09:58 PM
B

Soonerus
8/2/2007, 09:59 PM
Kids spell LOVE like this: TIME......

usmc-sooner
8/2/2007, 10:01 PM
not trying to one up you but I've gone close to a year without seeing my wife and kids and the USMC wasn't trying to make me rich. I guess my advice is somewhat along the lines of Mongo's. Use them like they use you. It is a B I T C H not being able to see your family and I feel for you. Best of luck bro

Mongo
8/2/2007, 10:02 PM
true mongo and I do have fields to fall back on! This job just sometimes makes me one big @ss hole at home! When I do go home I dont' do anything and I am mad as hell cuz the house might need tending too.
Maybe its my OCD or multiple personalities.

Your job sucks more than mine, I get to run home on trips, and any other time we aint on bottom.

I have the same problem as you. You get worn out being on location for a long time, and the lack of sleep is killer. Then it is time to run home, but the only thing you want to do is rest.

The family wants to go do stuff, the lawn needs to be mowed, and sometimes, I just dont have the motivation to do it. But I explained to the wife unit that if I do not get my rest and recover, it makes me perform poor on the job, which in turn can hurt your income if the boss men get fed up with you. Get your rest first, then go play with the family. Your wife and kids will understand that, and if they dont, they get to put up with an ******* husband/father, and they really dont want that.:D

usmc-sooner
8/2/2007, 10:02 PM

Wives spell love like this: MONEY :D

oumartin
8/2/2007, 10:05 PM
good advice from all. thanks

and usmc-sooner I am so sorry you haven't seen your family in that long of time.

usmc-sooner
8/2/2007, 10:14 PM
good advice from all. thanks

and usmc-sooner I am so sorry you haven't seen your family in that long of time.

didn't mean to mislead, that was almost 4 years ago. But I made it through and I'm sure you can too.

I think the most important thing is do you like doing it? You got to be happy, no point in being miserable.

oumartin
8/2/2007, 10:15 PM
you prolly dent mislead. I just can't read. ;)

olevetonahill
8/2/2007, 10:24 PM
Your job sucks more than mine, I get to run home on trips, and any other time we aint on bottom.

I have the same problem as you. You get worn out being on location for a long time, and the lack of sleep is killer. Then it is time to run home, but the only thing you want to do is rest.

The family wants to go do stuff, the lawn needs to be mowed, and sometimes, I just dont have the motivation to do it. But I explained to the wife unit that if I do not get my rest and recover, it makes me perform poor on the job, which in turn can hurt your income if the boss men get fed up with you. Get your rest first, then go play with the family. Your wife and kids will understand that, and if they dont, they get to put up with an ******* husband/father, and they really dont want that.:D
How much restin Were You doing when you knocked her up ????????:P

oumartin
8/2/2007, 10:32 PM
thats pretty funny right there

Mongo
8/2/2007, 10:35 PM
I have no response to that, good one olevet:D

oumartin
8/2/2007, 10:37 PM
your avatar is grossing me out mongo.

Mongo
8/2/2007, 10:40 PM
me too, but that pic is pretty funny

I need to update with a new jr photo

olevetonahill
8/2/2007, 10:41 PM
I have no response to that, good one olevet:D
The Correct answer
"I made the Bitch get on top ":D :D :D

Mongo
8/2/2007, 10:44 PM
The Correct answer
"I made the Bitch get on top ":D :D :D

I probably was asleep for most of them anyway;) :D

Soonerus
8/2/2007, 10:45 PM
degeneration....

Mongo
8/2/2007, 10:46 PM
degeneration....

que???

Hamhock
8/3/2007, 08:05 AM
Making great money so you can afford only the best rehab clinics for your children yet never getting to really see your kids cuz you are gone 90 percent of the time
or
Making good money and not spoiling them so they can see you on a daily basis and be the person that influences their lives?

fixed

and there are very few jobs in this country that force a family to "do without"

just my .02

SoonerJack
8/3/2007, 08:12 AM
Remember, "kids" have a time limit on them. When it runs out, they aren't kids.

Take the family...in a heartbeat. You can make money later. They don't need the stuff, they need you.

Mjcpr

Yeah and they eat their boogers so it's obvious they're not real smart.

sooner n houston
You will never again have the chance to spend time with your kids while they are this age! You will probably get more chances to make more money.

Howzit
8/3/2007, 08:39 AM
You will never again have the chance to spend time with your kids while they are this age! You will probably get more chances to make more money.

Yep.

Also, how your kids view you now and from now on is being shaped now. If you want a good relationship with your children when they are adults, you should be there when they are children.

jk the sooner fan
8/3/2007, 08:48 AM
what howzit and houston said.........i was gone LOTS when my kids were growing up, i wish things had been different

SoonerBOI
8/3/2007, 12:34 PM
God Bless you is all I can say...

HskrGrl
8/3/2007, 03:08 PM
Without writing a novel about my own experiences... My 2cents is that you should most definitly choose the time with your wife and kids. I have worked with troubled youth and been apart of recovery groups for adults. 90% of them have a mom or dad that is/was never around. Your kids need you more than they need the latest video games and brand name clothes.

I take it you have discussed this with your wife. Have you talked to your boys about it? They are old enough to be able to form their own opinion if you give them the pros and cons of each situation. Good luck with your decision.

Newbomb Turk
8/3/2007, 03:57 PM
your employer buys your time with money, but no amount of money will buy you back any time with your kids.

BlackSockMoan
8/15/2007, 04:28 PM
Dear God,

Please don't let Martin quit his job.

tia,

BSM

stoopified
8/15/2007, 04:44 PM
Just my humble opinion bro,family should always come first.Material rewards are fleeting.

Sooner24
8/15/2007, 05:04 PM

You mean like playing on the Slip-N-Slide. ;)

Sooner24
8/15/2007, 05:20 PM
Years ago, when my kids were smaller, we were getting ready to go on vacation. This guy at work told me I was stupid to keep spending money taking vacations when I could be buying material things that would be there years from now. I just looked at him and said "I am buying something that will be there years from now I'm buying memories." He just looked at me like I was stupid and walked off. Guess what I still have those memories. Your kids are only kids for a short time but you have to do what you have to do. Good luck on your decision.

olevetonahill
8/15/2007, 05:23 PM
Just my humble opinion bro,family should always come first.Material rewards are fleeting.
60 yrs from Now , No ones gonna give a **** one way or the other .:P

Sooner24
8/15/2007, 05:31 PM
Just remember your kids get to pick your nursing home. :D

Pricetag
8/15/2007, 05:42 PM
Has anyone seen the movie Click?

skycat
8/15/2007, 05:52 PM
I live for quitting time (which is right about now) when I get to go home and get to be favored with a giant small from my little boy.

It's easy to imagine getting by on much less in order to keep that a daily occurance.